Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Thanks all ya'll for the helpful words. I know I'm mostly just being anxious over nothing. Though I've had way too much experience with HR ghosting me once they decide I'm no the candidate they want (which, c'mon guys. A copy pasta email would be better than just forgetting I exist, especially after more than one interview). That said I don't expect this company to ghost me, one way or another I'll know what happens next.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    So I've still got a year & a half of veteran education benefits I can tap into, and there's no advancement for me in my current job. I'd have to switch from union to corporate, corporate has downsized three times in the last two years, plus the immediate role I'd go into is ten hour days. So yeah, not interested. I like my current job, but I'd like to make more money and due to the nature of the union/corporate relationship, there is no possibility of a raise.

I have no idea what direction to possibly even think of heading in.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    So I've still got a year & a half of veteran education benefits I can tap into, and there's no advancement for me in my current job. I'd have to switch from union to corporate, corporate has downsized three times in the last two years, plus the immediate role I'd go into is ten hour days. So yeah, not interested. I like my current job, but I'd like to make more money and due to the nature of the union/corporate relationship, there is no possibility of a raise.

I have no idea what direction to possibly even think of heading in.

Not to sound like a broken record, but the Seattle Public Library is one of the best in the nation. They're not hiring right now due to *gestures wildly in all directions* but long term it's a great way to earn a wage. And if you decide you like it, you can get through an MLIS in a year and a half if you cram it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Thanks Jedoc, and the SPL downtown is a delightful piece of architecture, but *the public*. I was a public facing leadership role for four years before I got my current position, I'm not looking to go back to dealing with rando's off the street.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Thanks Jedoc, and the SPL downtown is a delightful piece of architecture, but *the public*. I was a public facing leadership role for four years before I got my current position, I'm not looking to go back to dealing with rando's off the street.

If you go for the technical side, you will never need to deal with front facing work. If you're good with details cataloging is a good option.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    My new work shoes arrived. They look just like normal trainers but they have steel toe caps. I probably shouldn't be so wowed by this but I am, I still thought all steel toe footwear was just boots and stuff. You can get shoes that look like fancy formal office shoes but with steel toes! Amazing! The future!

The next time you have to get steel-toed footwear, try to get the non-conductive composite variant. They have the same impact rating, but are made out of a composite that is lighter, less conductive to heat, and slightly more flexible. It makes a huge difference in comfort if you are wearing them all day. Locally, they are sold in both boot and trainer styles.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I am apparently going to learn Fusion 360 for my job. Fun! ...?

@Doodmann drop some knowledge on us when you can! I keep wanting to dive into fusion more, but also laziness.

Oh, actually I think I'm nearly finished designing a jig for my cnc. I'd love a second set of eyes on it if you or @tynic would be down for sanity checking my thoughts.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I'm irrationally concerned because I haven't heard back the day after the interview. The only reason this tracks at all is because after my technical interview I heard back same day. Even though I was pretty confident about cultural fit, now I worry I fucked it up somehow.

if it makes you feel any better, the job i just took was a month-long wait to interview after I was submitted, followed by a week long wait until I heard that they wanted to hire me, and another week of back and forth before we agreed on the details.

!!

SPAAAAAAAACE

??

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I'm irrationally concerned because I haven't heard back the day after the interview. The only reason this tracks at all is because after my technical interview I heard back same day. Even though I was pretty confident about cultural fit, now I worry I fucked it up somehow.

if it makes you feel any better, the job i just took was a month-long wait to interview after I was submitted, followed by a week long wait until I heard that they wanted to hire me, and another week of back and forth before we agreed on the details.

!!

SPAAAAAAAACE

??

haha yep thats the one!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sigh we have to take a covid test now every two weeks

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    My new work shoes arrived. They look just like normal trainers but they have steel toe caps. I probably shouldn't be so wowed by this but I am, I still thought all steel toe footwear was just boots and stuff. You can get shoes that look like fancy formal office shoes but with steel toes! Amazing! The future!

The next time you have to get steel-toed footwear, try to get the non-conductive composite variant. They have the same impact rating, but are made out of a composite that is lighter, less conductive to heat, and slightly more flexible. It makes a huge difference in comfort if you are wearing them all day. Locally, they are sold in both boot and trainer styles.
    They also don't set off metal detectors, if that's a thing where you work.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It is not.

These apparently have steel toes and a kevlar sole. They feel pretty light to me but that might be because a lot of the time I wear my walking boots, which are kind of heavy, or my steel toe rigger boots which are weighty. I don't do much in normal shoes.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    So a thing has come up at work and apparently I'm the solution?

We've had a lot of team growth this year, almost doubling in size and still being swamped in demand for services, so there's a lot of new teams and new faces.

My team is one of the top performers, and we've got a lot of heavy hitters in our band of 8. However, one of the other new teams is struggling, and the relationship between the junior BA and the senior BA has ... well, it's basically broken down and the team is is becoming somewhat dysfunctional. It's a shit sandwich really, and stems from the senior BA being somewhat rigid and inflexible and the junior BA not getting enough support (somewhat on us for misjudging what they were capable of) and also having their confidence crushed, and now they are deeply unhappy. It's not a great situation.

So we're going to switch, and I'm being swapped with the junior BA as someone who can hopefully get the team back to something better. I'll come in as an equal second senior BA, and I think they're hoping I'll be able to bring the team back to a more agile and dynamic space (the senior BA isn't the only one in that team who is more used to waterfall development). Meanwhile putting the junior BA into a positive performing team with great support can hopefully bring them back on a confident and fulfilling growth track.

But I'm leaving my good team where I didn't have to shoulder responsibility and everyone performed, to a team that has had a shaky start and I might need to pull along (potentially against resistance).

I'm aware that this is in a way a big vote from higher-ups belief in my capabilities and their faith in my ability to show leadership, and somewhat of an invisible step up, but from a purely personal perspective it is a position swap into a less appealling situation, with an increase in stress, where I will possibly be required to provide invisible and undervalued emotional labour and responsibility.

And yeah, I can probably do all those things. But it's still just -*sigh*-

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    rant for today: sick of bleeding heart liberals that ask for money for a thing that is Good but won't provide data or info I need to understand how Good thing will work and get done appropriately and then complain that I won't give them money for Good thing because I don't like Good things

end rant

I dislike the concept "bleeding heart liberals", because I've been asked to donate money by other people as well. I mean, the US is a lot more divided than my neck of the woods, but for every capital H hippie I get here asking to donate to send T-shirts to refugee camps in Greece I get a right-wing animal lover asking to donate to save donkeys in Greece.

(Main takeaway: Greece is shitshow)

I have worked for an NGO and their biggest challenge was always to ask one simple question: where does the money go? There's this believe that "we are good, so just trust us" and that's hard to fight against even when you're hired to help them with realizing how daft that idea is.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Aww yeah time to assemble my “James Bond but he’s a top secret CNC machinist for Her Majesty’s Government” persona

Isn't... isn't that just Q?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

Children's librarian? Maester of stories and hand puppets?

I seen you in person, your beard a few inches away from bob ross wholesome.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have my first potential workplace injury. Woke up today unable to make a fist with my left hand. My middle and forefinger wouldn't fold shut. They've loosened now but it still hurts to close my hand.

Just got to get through today without totally breaking something and then I get two whole days of blessed laziness.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I have my first potential workplace injury. Woke up today unable to make a fist with my left hand. My middle and forefinger wouldn't fold shut. They've loosened now but it still hurts to close my hand.

Just got to get through today without totally breaking something and then I get two whole days of blessed laziness.

Sounds like tendinitis from repetitive motion! Most likely your body hasn’t been hardened yet to this type of work. Not fault of your own, of course. Very hard to harden yourself to that type of work at short notice.

Did they give you some warm up/stretching exercises during your orientation? If not, let me know and I will get some together for you

You need to start icing it now, and get some anti-inflammatory medication. Over the counter ibuprofen is what you want.

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I posted that as I arrived at work so ice wasn't really an option.

Also, did they give us exercises in our orientation, lol. Orientation was being told what PPE we need to wear and shown how to operate a pump truck.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Camp Story: I went to church camp every summer for a week for a while. I don't actually know what church we were affiliated with, I think Reorganized Church of Latterday Saints. It gave me the ability to know all sorts of campfire songs that revolve around Jesus. My son hates it when I show off my knowledge of fun, kid-friendly, religious songs.

Work Story: We were just extended to work from home until the end of June. Also, I think I'm seeing movement again on getting my role to be solely billing/administrative and get rid of my customer portfolio.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    So a thing has come up at work and apparently I'm the solution?

We've had a lot of team growth this year, almost doubling in size and still being swamped in demand for services, so there's a lot of new teams and new faces.

My team is one of the top performers, and we've got a lot of heavy hitters in our band of 8. However, one of the other new teams is struggling, and the relationship between the junior BA and the senior BA has ... well, it's basically broken down and the team is is becoming somewhat dysfunctional. It's a shit sandwich really, and stems from the senior BA being somewhat rigid and inflexible and the junior BA not getting enough support (somewhat on us for misjudging what they were capable of) and also having their confidence crushed, and now they are deeply unhappy. It's not a great situation.

So we're going to switch, and I'm being swapped with the junior BA as someone who can hopefully get the team back to something better. I'll come in as an equal second senior BA, and I think they're hoping I'll be able to bring the team back to a more agile and dynamic space (the senior BA isn't the only one in that team who is more used to waterfall development). Meanwhile putting the junior BA into a positive performing team with great support can hopefully bring them back on a confident and fulfilling growth track.

But I'm leaving my good team where I didn't have to shoulder responsibility and everyone performed, to a team that has had a shaky start and I might need to pull along (potentially against resistance).

I'm aware that this is in a way a big vote from higher-ups belief in my capabilities and their faith in my ability to show leadership, and somewhat of an invisible step up, but from a purely personal perspective it is a position swap into a less appealling situation, with an increase in stress, where I will possibly be required to provide invisible and undervalued emotional labour and responsibility.

And yeah, I can probably do all those things. But it's still just -*sigh*-

The reward for good work is more work. You'll do great! Make every team like your first team.

Oh, uh also for those still looking, multiple multinational insurance companies have enacted large scale early retirement, so there's going to be a LOT of openings coming up as the industry has largely been fine through COVID.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I never did summer camp. The most I did was the summer program at my daycare/ after school center, which just included a couple of field trips. My parents couldn't afford more, and were middle class enough to not qualify for scholarships. Once I was old enough, it was just home/ friends all summer
    My kids, though. Oh boy. My eldest got white water rafting+ wolf sanctuary, ymca sleepaway, and even a trip to Costa Rica. Didn't get camp every summer, but had a few good ones.
    My youngest are still too young for sleepaway yet. But they have been doing daycamps once they started school/ left daycare. It's nice being comfortably middle class rather than struggling middle class.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Huh. I wouldn't have figured that wolves would be keen on white water rafting.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I missed an opportunity to sub today on account that I have been sleeping with a do-not-disturb feature on my new smart-phone.

I woke up at 7:30 to see that I was called at 6:30 to cover for a teacher.

Maaaaaaaan... This is the first time this school year I have gotten a call the morning of to cover for a teacher, so I guess I need to actually adjust my wake-up schedule to account for this now.

Which, folks, sucks so much. There is nothing quite like having to wake up at 5:30, 6:00, & 6:30 Monday through Friday to see if somebody maybe needs you. It definitely doesn't crash your body's natural sleep schedule/cycle at all.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Huh. I wouldn't have figured that wolves would be keen on white water rafting.
    Depends on how ruff the water is.

sig.gif
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    "Hey Quid it looks like the network you need to make reports is down. If it's not back up in a couple hours go ahead and go home, no point in sitting around for no reason."

90 minutes in to this and it's the worst. I'm either leaving a few hours early or staying a couple hours late.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    "Hey Quid it looks like the network you need to make reports is down. If it's not back up in a couple hours go ahead and go home, no point in sitting around for no reason."

90 minutes in to this and it's the worst. I'm either leaving a few hours early or staying a couple hours late.

quid this is your boss i am a secret forumer go home already also we're doubling your pay

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Spent this morning processing about 7,000 PS5s for delivery. So if you live in the UK and your PS5 pre-order ends up delayed because it went to the wrong part of the country, sorry, there's a 5% chance that was my fault.

1ak3o8tsdwvb.jpg

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I posted that as I arrived at work so ice wasn't really an option.

Also, did they give us exercises in our orientation, lol. Orientation was being told what PPE we need to wear and shown how to operate a pump truck.

Get some ibuprofen gel on that hand as soon as you possibly can

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    DAMMIT I JINXED IT

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Finally wrote up my business case for why I need a 16GB RAM laptop for my work station.

In my usual way, it is a massive wall of text starting with a summary and then specific examples of how 8GB of RAM isn't enough... especially considering the university standard workstations going forward won't have expandable RAM.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I wonder if you can get steel toe slippers.
    Pretty much. Steel toed over shoes are a thing for when visitors without protective shoes are around, or some dumbass forgets sneaks aren't safe for wearing around heavy equipment on a factory floor.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Sketchers has a line of very comfortable safety shoes. I had a pair of these that were more comfortable than the Redwing low-tops I had before, lasted just as long, and are half the price.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I wonder if you can get steel toe slippers.
    Pretty much. Steel toed over shoes are a thing for when visitors without protective shoes are around, or some dumbass forgets sneaks aren't safe for wearing around heavy equipment on a factory floor.

Also - is it specifically steel or just safety shoes? If safety, get composite as they stay warmer and are a lot lighter.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    turns out not having a backup plan for one of your most critical workers needing a leave of absence is a bad idea

the sole billing lady gets to WFH while her brother is on hospice

(they wouldn't even make her a manager even though she technically is by all accounts, because they are still pissy about the last one leaving for a new job)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    turns out not having a backup plan for one of your most critical workers needing a leave of absence is a bad idea

(they wouldn't even make her a manager even though she technically is by all accounts, because they are still pissy about the last one leaving for a new job)

Sounds like a great reason for the billing lady to find a new job!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Boss and the second in command both took today off. I was talking to the other guy in my department and he was like "Yeah ping me if you need me but I'm not going to do much work today."

Me? I have some documentation to write and then I'm free and my boss isn't here to give me more stuff to do. TIME TO LEARN MORE ABOUT SNORT!

I've also bee diving into Splunk a lot lately. Splunking you might say.

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

Sounds like a great reason for the billing lady to find a new job!

Yeah a whole bunch of people heard the rumor mill turning and were not happy and I suspect that was the real reason for it.

She doesn't even need the job, they should be thanking her for thinking of them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Finally wrote up my business case for why I need a 16GB RAM laptop for my work station.

In my usual way, it is a massive wall of text starting with a summary and then specific examples of how 8GB of RAM isn't enough... especially considering the university standard workstations going forward won't have expandable RAM.

You could've just done it in a single line - "Chrome. Am I right?"

After a fresh boot I've got one Docker container running 8 images, PHPStorm and a few chrome tabs. 14.8/16gb in use. 2gb of that is Chrome.

I can't imagine what this would be like on anything less

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Windows 10 itself uses like 6gb of memory just to boot, anyone without more than 12 is just torturing themselves.

This discussion has been closed.