Options

[Second Impeachment] Acquitted of Armed Insurrection | 57 Votes for Guilty

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The folks who are angry about this are still going to vote for the lesser evil, but enthusiasm is required to get the enotional energy needed to mobilize people who don't pay attention to politics to also vote for the lesser evil.

There was also the slight chance of getting someone terrible to admit to something terrible under oath - where they lose the ability to say it was a joke after they drop it into Twitter.

This right here is why you try to fire up and motivate your base. Calling Witnesses would most likely not have changed the vote, but it would have given the politically engaged motivation and ammunition when they phone banked for the midterms. Instead, they demoralized previous volunteers like MegaMan001 and cemented the (now more justified) pessimism of leftest.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Trump was never going to be convicted, so if that was the point then don't even bother having the impeachment in the first place.

The point of the Impeachment trial was the media game, which the Democrats have now lost since Chris Coons gave the quote everyone will remember:

Brian Beutler is the Editor In Chief of Crooked Media, which I guess are a bunch of Leftists now

Nobody except the most inside baseball people are going to hear or remember that and anyone who cares mind was already made up.

Edit dumb ass quote tho.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The folks who are angry about this are still going to vote for the lesser evil, but enthusiasm is required to get the enotional energy needed to mobilize people who don't pay attention to politics to also vote for the lesser evil.

There was also the slight chance of getting someone terrible to admit to something terrible under oath - where they lose the ability to say it was a joke after they drop it into Twitter.

This right here is why you try to fire up and motivate your base. Calling Witnesses would most likely not have changed the vote, but it would have given the politically engaged motivation and ammunition when they phone banked for the midterms. Instead, they demoralized previous volunteers like MegaMan001 and cemented the (now more justified) pessimism of leftest.

more motivation and urgency for the leftists to work on direct action efforts and mutual aid for those left behind suffering.

EDIT: not so much a plus side, technically, than the reality on the ground I suppose

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    asurasur Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Lanz wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    f25lm4zq8ihw.jpg

Trump won Manchin's territory by 39 points.

Get rid of him, enjoy the replacement you get, all I'm saying. Again, pragmatism.

he keeps siding with republicans on vital procedural shit, and now add to that on impeachment.

You don’t get more pragmatic than “Why are we holding onto the guy who keeps giving power to the other side, again?”

Because he gave the Democrats power on the most important vote for the next two years without which none of the procedural issues would even matter because McConnell would be the majority leader.

The next covid relief, potentially $15 min wage, appointing reasonable judges, basically anything for the next two years are all only possible because Democrats have a majority and they don't have one without him.

asur on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Manchin doesn't want to get rid of the filibuster, which is enough to disqualify him alone.

Going to primary Sanders too then? He's also a no on that.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Man if they called witnesses the leftists would just complain instead that they took prescious time from covid relief and other useful legislation for more pointless grandstanding.

You all always start from the position "the Democrats fucked it up" and then work backwards to figure out what they fucked up and how.

Like I'm almost completely done with listening to complaints from the left.

done implies yall started at some point

yes, me, personally, over the last four years or so, I have been listening!

And now I'm starting to think that for the left staking out moral high ground is more important than actual progress so why should I keep listening?

Weird complaint about people who are mad the Democrats didn't take an opportunity to get a bunch of useful media time.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Manchin doesn't want to get rid of the filibuster, which is enough to disqualify him alone.

Is this supposed to be some witty or insightful comeback? A hypothetical Sanders-except-no-filibuster opponent? Sure, I'd vote for them instead of Sanders (were it my state).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Trump was never going to be convicted, so if that was the point then don't even bother having the impeachment in the first place.

The point of the Impeachment trial was the media game, which the Democrats have now lost since Chris Coons gave the quote everyone will remember:

Brian Beutler is the Editor In Chief of Crooked Media, which I guess are a bunch of Leftists now

What’s the quote?

Can’t see twitter, and the news has nothing

• Options
    If Sanders won’t get in line behind gutting the filibuster like a fish getting ready for the griddle, then he can get on the Primary Bus too.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »

What’s the quote?

Coons pressured House Managers into not letting witnesses because he though it would cost Dem and GOP votes and "people want to get home for Valentine's Day"

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I'm bemused people are angry about this, as if there was ever any actual chance Trump would get successfully impeached. What the heck are people thinking? That the republican senators would somehow have a come to Jesus and realize that their personal political future isn't worth burning down the country when they've spent the last decade - and last four years in particular - demonstrably proving otherwise? That they would invoke the wrath of the part of their base that's bought into the cult of personality around Trump, and whom many of them need to get elected?

Trump was never going to be impeached. But it is important that it was done, if nothing else to do what we can to fight against the normalization of that kind of behavior, and to hang it around the neck of every Republican-held, flippable seat in 2022.

(Also it's somewhat brow-raising to hear people sing the death song of democrats for this, considering the same thing was being said the last time Trump was impeached, and the democrats suffered for that by winning the presidency and the Senate.)

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    jmcdonald wrote: »

What’s the quote?

Politico wrote:
    During the Senate break after the witness vote Saturday, Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.) twice came into the managers’ room off the Senate floor, according to multiple Democratic sources. Coons pressed House Democrats to relent, saying their quest for witnesses would cost them Republican votes to convict and maybe even some Democrats.

"The jury is ready to vote," Coons told the managers, according to a senior House Democratic aide. "People want to get home for Valentine‘s Day."

Coons later returned a second time to urge the managers to take a deal with Trump's lawyers to enter what House Democrats viewed as damning evidence from Herrera Beutler into the record. Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) also approached a House manager in the hallway to urge them against calling witnesses, according to sources close to the managers.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Man if they called witnesses the leftists would just complain instead that they took prescious time from covid relief and other useful legislation for more pointless grandstanding.

You all always start from the position "the Democrats fucked it up" and then work backwards to figure out what they fucked up and how.

And now I'm starting to think that for the left staking out moral high ground is more important than actual progress so why should I keep listening?

Weird complaint about people who are mad the Democrats didn't take an opportunity to get a bunch of useful media time.

Calling witnesses was both the moral high ground and strategically worthwhile.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

you do know the left also criticizes sanders for his shortcomings, right?

like you are aware that "but what about bernie?" is not actually some voldemort-ass counterspell against leftists, yes?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the next time the president calls for an insurrection against congress he must contend with the knowledge that if he is impeached for it, at least he'll win and it'll be over before valentine's day

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Again, it wasn't the Senate that decided not to call witnesses.

And honestly, I think the video evidence the showed, especially the new stuff from the security cameras, was pretty effective.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Despite our rule on “no nihilism” I remained astonished the go to response is “there was never a chance anyway, so why be upset?”

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

Calling witnesses was both the moral high ground and strategically worthwhile.

It's what we keep typing again and again.

How do those who think this is not going to hurt the dems in 2022 think this is going to play out for those voters in key states that we won by small margins are going to react at the ballot? Stand there and go "Well, I guess I'll keep voting for the lesser of the two evils, ho hum"?

Manchin is also a wild card, so now not only did we "waste time" by dangling witnesses and then pulling them back, but now key legislation is going to hinge on this dude.

Also you have Trump now boasting that he won and his movement has just begun and he's already started, with this trial, ads of Dems saying to fight and not stop fighting and to take Trump out. He's beginning the "Poor me, I'm such a misunderstood target" message again.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    I'm bemused people are angry about this, as if there was ever any actual chance Trump would get successfully impeached. What the heck are people thinking? That the republican senators would somehow have a come to Jesus and realize that their personal political future isn't worth burning down the country when they've spent the last decade - and last four years in particular - demonstrably proving otherwise? That they would invoke the wrath of the part of their base that's bought into the cult of personality around Trump, and whom many of them need to get elected?

Trump was never going to be impeached. But it is important that it was done, if nothing else to do what we can to fight against the normalization of that kind of behavior, and to hang it around the neck of every Republican-held, flippable seat in 2022.

(Also it's somewhat brow-raising to hear people sing the death song of democrats for this, considering the same thing was being said the last time Trump was impeached, and the democrats suffered for that by winning the presidency and the Senate.)

Nobody who's upset at this thinks that there was any chance Trump would be convicted. What's happening, at least for me, is that this witness thing is emblematic of one of the major issues I have with the Democratic party. The only time they actually seem to push for stuff is when they feel like they are guaranteed success. Once it looks like the issue might fail they drop it faster than a hot potato because they're worried of the optics or whatever it is on that specific occasion. I just want them to show that they are willing to fight for something even if, and especially, it looks like it's going to fail. I want to know that they are going to have my back even if it looks like they're going to lose. I know that Trump was going to be acquitted, but I wanted the Dems to take their very best hit and go out swinging. Show me that they think this is more important than a damn hallmark holiday. (Seriously fuck off Coons)

Just show me a Democratic party that is as willing to fight for an issue even when they are going to lose as much as Republicans are willing to fight for abortion restrictions and whatever other heinous shit they want.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »

Nobody who's upset at this thinks that there was any chance Trump would be convicted. What's happening, at least for me, is that this witness thing is emblematic of one of the major issues I have with the Democratic party. The only time they actually seem to push for stuff is when they feel like they are guaranteed success. Once it looks like the issue might fail they drop it faster than a hot potato because they're worried of the optics or whatever it is on that specific occasion. I just want them to show that they are willing to fight for something even if, and especially, it looks like it's going to fail. I want to know that they are going to have my back even if it looks like they're going to lose. I know that Trump was going to be acquitted, but I wanted the Dems to take their very best hit and go out swinging. Show me that they think this is more important than a damn hallmark holiday. (Seriously fuck off Coons)

Just show me a Democratic party that is as willing to fight for an issue even when they are going to lose as much as Republicans are willing to fight for abortion restrictions and whatever other heinous shit they want.

I can agree with that, at least.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Dems fail to understand in many cases we would rather them fight for what’s right and fail then give up in the middle of the fight for reasons they often fail to adequately explain.

Chuck Wendig is that liberal guy who does Star Wars books

Gimme a sec to load it here for the transcript, Twitter app being butts

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

If what really matters is getting a conviction, that won’t happen, so don’t bother impeaching (that was my initial stance on the first one). If what really matters is the narrative and the message, then impeach and show every nasty detail. Either one might have been a political victory or loss. Instead Dems took a third option and ensured this would be loss. They tried to thread the needle and instead have stabbed themselves in the dick with it.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    if him getting acquitted was a forgone conclusion then I don't even understand the point of this.

"holding him accountable"?? because that's not what this did

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Please god stop quoting Politico.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

We're quoting Senator Coons

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    National Journal senate beat reporter Zachary Cohen:

Cohen wrote:
    We condemn, in the strongest possible terms, the vote today by Sen. Cassidy to convict former President Trump. Fortunately, clearer heads prevailed and President Trump has been acquitted of the impeachment charge filed against him.

Louisiana Republican Party is what it says on the tin.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Still a mainstream news source, unless you got something to disprove their reporting.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    altlat55 wrote: »
    I don't believe witnesses would have even changed who is on paper supporting this. There aren't any voters (voters in the Senate or voters at the ballot box) who are going to be swayed by witnesses.

History will record this the same way with or without witnesses. Even McConnell is on the record saying that Trump did what he is accused of and is using the copout that convicting him is unconstitutional.

Neither the outcome of this impeachment or future senate elections was in play. That Republicans voted to acquit a President who was clearly guilty is still just as much on the record as it would have been otherwise.

I wanted to see witnesses because I wanted to see some people squirm, but it would have made no difference on any level.

It would have made a difference in the public opinion. Which would have made a difference at the ballot box. Which would have made a difference in whether this has consequences or not. Which would have made a difference in whether it happens again or not.

There is a world outside the Senate chamber. Just because something doesn't make a difference in the Senate doesn't mean it doesn't make a difference.

Or said differently, climate change, police brutality, immigration reform, minimum wage, student debt, and countless other issues make no difference on the Senate and Senators. You can expect just about as much dedication from Democrat Senators on these issues as you just saw here.

If you think witnesses would have impacted public opinion, you have more faith in the public than I do. The video, the audio, the transcripts, SEEING IT FUCKING HAPPEN didn't. Why would witnesses?

You can't convince these people. You have to beat them.

Depends who you mean by "these people". Republican voters? I agree they're a lost cause. But there are other people. Taking Trump and Biden's results together accounts for less than 160M people in a country of 350M. The other ~200M are still up for grabs. And they just saw Democrats acknowledge that Republicans were in the right on Jan. 6th. You don't win many votes with the "I was wrong, they were right, vote for me" line.

As for "beating them", you know what you need for that? People who inspire voters to vote for them. You know what's the opposite of inspiring? Someone who gives up an easily-won fight without lifting a finger.

Any way you cut it, this completely-self-inflicted defeat is an unmitigated disaster for Democrats.

...they absolutely did not acknowledge Rs were in the right on the 6th.

Yes they did. When they said it wasn't worth calling witnesses over it. When they said it wasn't worth a few weeks of effort to go through testimonies. When they said going home for Valentine's Day was more important than the trial. When they said they should just wrap it up quickly and move on quietly to other stuff. They absolutely vindicated Trump and delegitimized opposition to his actions on the 6th.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Sam Brodey, Daily Beast’s congress beat:

4 hours after impeachment vote:

Cassidy censured by LA GOP

Burr's vote called "shocking and disappointing" by NC GOP chair

Toomey chided by PA GOP chair

Embeds are press releases by the stated state GOPs

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Hey so I just realized we got 7 GOP to convict when consensus was 2 or 3 at most. Almost half the needed amount! Maybe, just maybe we coulda gotten 17. Guess we’ll never know.

• Options
    Sam Brodey, Daily Beast’s congress beat:

4 hours after impeachment vote:

Cassidy censured by LA GOP

Burr's vote called "shocking and disappointing" by NC GOP chair

Toomey chided by PA GOP chair

Embeds are press releases by the stated state GOPs

Yessss, GOP infighting. Can we get more of this?

What’s that? We can’t push for it because of reasons?

• Options

Josh Scherr is a writer and narrative designer for Naughty Dog, a major video game developer and publisher
    This certainly doesn't give me hope the Democrats - despite currently holding the WH, House, & Senate - will enact any meaningful election reform, healthcare reform, minimum wage increases, climate change bills, or anything we elected them for. This is Keystone Cops shit.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    At some point folks are gonna have to realize that the dude who keeps siding with the GOP over issues like the filibuster, who is on record within the last few years of saying he might vote for Trump in the last election, and sabotages the impeachment is maybe not actually a Democratic ally, despite the D next to his name.

Get rid of Manchin. See what you get as a replacement. From West Virginia.

Manchin is the last D of any variety we'll see from there for the next 20 years.

if he consistently votes with republicans, then the D by his name is purely symbolic anyway

He voted with Trump 52% of the time.

Your facts are wrong.

• Options
    Despite our rule on “no nihilism” I remained astonished the go to response is “there was never a chance anyway, so why be upset?”

There is a huge difference between 'Eat at Arbys' and saying that the GOP sucks and has the numbers to stop conviction but this was the right thing and still worthwhile even if acquittal was a foregone confusion.

Same thing as everyone a year ago saying removal was never going to happen but he must be impeached.

And nobody is saying don't be upset. We are saying point your anger where it belongs - the GOP Senators who acquitted. And Trump.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I don't think there's much that could have been given from witnesses that isn't already in the news or known and if you think that not having witnesses is "not even trying" then I would think you didn't pay attention to everything else the House Managers presented because they left no room for doubt or misunderstanding and drew a straight line from everything that Trump said starting on election night itself directly to January 6th connecting all the dots along the way.

This isn't as complicated as the Ukraine thing where you had the president extorting a foreign leader while using the state department to run his own unofficial foreign policy scheme, everyone watched this happen on live tv right after Trumps speech.

"Not trying" Would be the nonsense the Republicans did for 3 hours and then called it a day.

• Options
    At some point folks are gonna have to realize that the dude who keeps siding with the GOP over issues like the filibuster, who is on record within the last few years of saying he might vote for Trump in the last election, and sabotages the impeachment is maybe not actually a Democratic ally, despite the D next to his name.

Get rid of Manchin. See what you get as a replacement. From West Virginia.

Manchin is the last D of any variety we'll see from there for the next 20 years.

if he consistently votes with republicans, then the D by his name is purely symbolic anyway

He voted with Trump 52% of the time.

Your facts are wrong.

That's more than any Senator except Donnelly and Heitkamp, and neither of them have a job anymore.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    we can

and should

be mad at both parties

at all times

• Options
    altlat55altlat55 Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    altlat55 wrote: »
    I don't believe witnesses would have even changed who is on paper supporting this. There aren't any voters (voters in the Senate or voters at the ballot box) who are going to be swayed by witnesses.

History will record this the same way with or without witnesses. Even McConnell is on the record saying that Trump did what he is accused of and is using the copout that convicting him is unconstitutional.

Neither the outcome of this impeachment or future senate elections was in play. That Republicans voted to acquit a President who was clearly guilty is still just as much on the record as it would have been otherwise.

I wanted to see witnesses because I wanted to see some people squirm, but it would have made no difference on any level.

It would have made a difference in the public opinion. Which would have made a difference at the ballot box. Which would have made a difference in whether this has consequences or not. Which would have made a difference in whether it happens again or not.

There is a world outside the Senate chamber. Just because something doesn't make a difference in the Senate doesn't mean it doesn't make a difference.

Or said differently, climate change, police brutality, immigration reform, minimum wage, student debt, and countless other issues make no difference on the Senate and Senators. You can expect just about as much dedication from Democrat Senators on these issues as you just saw here.

If you think witnesses would have impacted public opinion, you have more faith in the public than I do. The video, the audio, the transcripts, SEEING IT FUCKING HAPPEN didn't. Why would witnesses?

You can't convince these people. You have to beat them.

Depends who you mean by "these people". Republican voters? I agree they're a lost cause. But there are other people. Taking Trump and Biden's results together accounts for less than 160M people in a country of 350M. The other ~200M are still up for grabs. And they just saw Democrats acknowledge that Republicans were in the right on Jan. 6th. You don't win many votes with the "I was wrong, they were right, vote for me" line.

As for "beating them", you know what you need for that? People who inspire voters to vote for them. You know what's the opposite of inspiring? Someone who gives up an easily-won fight without lifting a finger.

Any way you cut it, this completely-self-inflicted defeat is an unmitigated disaster for Democrats.

...they absolutely did not acknowledge Rs were in the right on the 6th.

Yes they did. When they said it wasn't worth calling witnesses over it. When they said it wasn't worth a few weeks of effort to go through testimonies. When they said going home for Valentine's Day was more important than the trial. When they said they should just wrap it up quickly and move on quietly to other stuff. They absolutely vindicated Trump and delegitimized opposition to his actions on the 6th.

I think they pretty clearly said they were not in the right when they all voted to convict Trump.

altlat55 on
  • Options
    we can

and should

be mad at both parties

at all times

I disagree and this that is reductive to the point of absurdity but that is already straying quite far from the topic of impeachment.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Viskod wrote: »
    I don't think there's much that could have been given from witnesses that isn't already in the news or known and if you think that not having witnesses is "not even trying" then I would think you didn't pay attention to everything else the House Managers presented because they left no room for doubt or misunderstanding and drew a straight line from everything that Trump said starting on election night itself directly to January 6th connecting all the dots along the way.

This isn't as complicated as the Ukraine thing where you had the president extorting a foreign leader while using the state department to run his own unofficial foreign policy scheme, everyone watched this happen on live tv right after Trumps speech.

"Not trying" Would be the nonsense the Republicans did for 3 hours and then called it a day.

1. There's a difference between the Democratic house manager saying it and a witness without a D next to their name saying it.
    2. Saying it again has benefit. Saying something once gets forgotten. Repetition drives the point home and makes it stick.
    3. The nonsense the Republicans did for 3 hours won them the trial.

Richy on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.