Options

[Steam]-heim. Valhalla has no backlogs.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    First off: Happy Birthday Corrigan!

I'll just leave the gift-a-pult keys here and invite the gang to go out for cheezburgers. Just make sure it gets a wash and wax when you're done with it this time, guys? And no half-rotten pickles shoved under the seat this time?

Also...

New Humble Bundle:

the Humble Tales of Love and Adventure Bundle:

$1:

- Telltale's Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack

BTA:

- Telltale Batman Shadows Edition (contains The Telltale Series and The Enemy Within with all-new hand-recolors and retextures of all ten episodes along with extras)
    - Neo Cab
    - Half Past Fate
    - Reventure

$12:

- BLACKSAD: Under the Skin
    - Hiveswap Act II

$15:

- Indivisible

Everything looks pretty good to me, except Reventure (looks a little meh to me, I hope there's more to this one that just making one little choice and then having to play the whole game over and over again), and especially Hiveswap (it's a Homestuck game, don't care that much for the property).

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    things got silly all around in tob because the game isn't set up for level 40 characters and HLA are something bioware added. I had a fighter/thief with 9 attacks per round and assassinate giving them 5x damage on every hit.

but before that in BG1 and 2 you will have a much easier time if you use your archers, which are very powerful early on, and your crowd control spells to their fullest. sleep, command, hold person, and silence 10' are essential skills in 1, followed by the doom combo of greater malaison+confusion/chaos in BG2. then you start to supplement them with summons that can eat all that damage for you and deal out a good amount on their own. mage giving you trouble? a sword spider will strip away their stoneskins stop them from casting a single spell(you can will all the drow wizard duels with a sword spider). need some fodder? skeleton warriors have damage resist, magic resist, and hit really hard. need damage? pull up a few mordekain's swords and watch them go to work. very versatile and powerful

Yeah in bg1 and early IWD your primary sources of damage for fighters and rangers should be archery, not melee, melee is for if something goes wrong or trash not worth wasting spells on. Crowd control + aoe works really well for general purpose, IWD one of my mainstays for crowds was web/entangle/stinking cloud and them just nuke the hell out of the zone. Everything wouldn’t die, but once one or two stragglers made it through the fighters could melee them easily.

I solo’d Shadows of Amn once with a bard kit (blade I think?), there’s a ton of abusive stuff you can do with spells and general fuckery, the game is horribly broken but it isn’t a pvp game so who cares.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    We had a series of incredibly hilarious mishaps earlier whilst trying to purchase RE8.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    We had a series of incredibly hilarious mishaps earlier whilst trying to purchase RE8.

Goddamned tank controls...

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Let me guess. You accidentally gifted out a dozen copies?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    No the recipient ended up buying it for himself.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

This is a whole new level of class.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    All you guys talking about your fancy BG2 spell cheese, when the fanciest I usually got was "open door to room, fire off two wand of Lighting bolt (which did 6 individually aimed ricocheting bolts apiece), close door, wait."

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I...I like turn-based because then I can actually play a control sorc/wizard/druid and not constantly have my AoE's in the wrong position.

I'm upset at every D&D and Pathfinder game that doesn't give me access to the Mount spell though. I've ruined many dungeons with that spell. Friends still talk about the time the GM made a very trap-laden dungeon and I threw a magical horse down its throat to trigger them all, and then another, and then another, until there were just a bunch of dead magical horses and a completely safe dungeon to explore.

Give me Mount you cowards!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Isorn wrote: »
    https://blog.humblebundle.com/2021/02/23/own-control-forever-when-it-comes-to-choice-on-march-2nd/

Full lineup for humble choice March is:
    • Control
    • XCOM: Chimera Squad
    • ELEX
    • Kingdom Two Crowns
    • WWE 2K Battlegrounds
    • Hotshot Racing
    • Peaky Blinders: Mastermind
    • Cyber Hook
    • Pesterquest
    • Wildfire
    • Boreal Blade
    • Ageless

Here is hoping it is not an epic store key for Control.

I seem to remember peeps here liking Elex

Chimera Squad is really good and individual initiative is neat to consider with XCOM people. Also, some of the characters are just a ball to use (the Sectoid and the Viper specifically) because you get access to abilities that are typically reserved for enemy units. The Viper's voice work is top-notch, too.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    First off: Happy Birthday Corrigan!

I'll just leave the gift-a-pult keys here and invite the gang to go out for cheezburgers. Just make sure it gets a wash and wax when you're done with it this time, guys? And no half-rotten pickles shoved under the seat this time?

Also...

New Humble Bundle:

the Humble Tales of Love and Adventure Bundle:

$1:

- Telltale's Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack

BTA:

- Telltale Batman Shadows Edition (contains The Telltale Series and The Enemy Within with all-new hand-recolors and retextures of all ten episodes along with extras)
    - Neo Cab
    - Half Past Fate
    - Reventure

$12:

- BLACKSAD: Under the Skin
    - Hiveswap Act II

$15:

- Indivisible

Everything looks pretty good to me, except Reventure (looks a little meh to me, I hope there's more to this one that just making one little choice and then having to play the whole game over and over again), and especially Hiveswap (it's a Homestuck game, don't care that much for the property).

I like this bundle. I want to play Hiveswap because I am still a legit Homestuck fan. I wanted to play Indivisible for the longest time regardless of it's issues, and I think Reventure looks neat for something included in two games I would have paid $15 for anyway. The rest are just kind of there for me though.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Isorn wrote: »
    https://blog.humblebundle.com/2021/02/23/own-control-forever-when-it-comes-to-choice-on-march-2nd/

Full lineup for humble choice March is:
    • Control
    • XCOM: Chimera Squad
    • ELEX
    • Kingdom Two Crowns
    • WWE 2K Battlegrounds
    • Hotshot Racing
    • Peaky Blinders: Mastermind
    • Cyber Hook
    • Pesterquest
    • Wildfire
    • Boreal Blade
    • Ageless

Here is hoping it is not an epic store key for Control.

I seem to remember peeps here liking Elex

Chimera Squad is really good and individual initiative is neat to consider with XCOM people. Also, some of the characters are just a ball to use (the Sectoid and the Viper specifically) because you get access to abilities that are typically reserved for enemy units. The Viper's voice work is top-notch, too.

Torque wasn't told she was given a snake character to voice, she has just given general directions and told to run with it

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Thawmus

Wrath of the Righteous is going to have mounted combat.

Just sayin ...

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @Thawmus

Wrath of the Righteous is going to have mounted combat.

Just sayin ...

I wish I had finished Kingmaker, and maybe someday I will. I just had serious problems with the main questline assuming I was down for murdering peacenik trolls and goblins because, hey, they're trolls and goblins why would you not murder them? I spent so many hours reloading saves trying to navigate the diplomatic route only to find out one didn't exist and that pissed me off so bad I just stopped.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Foefaller wrote: »
    All you guys talking about your fancy BG2 spell cheese, when the fanciest I usually got was "open door to room, fire off two wand of Lighting bolt (which did 6 individually aimed ricocheting bolts apiece), close door, wait."

Spells aren’t even the most ridiculous thing.

Traps do ridiculous, unresistable damage with no to hit roll and you can put out up to 7 of them. And that’s not even getting into bounty hunter traps or high level abilities. Want to do something like 140 d6 unresistable damage? Lure a boss into your spike trap field. Want to just maze a group of enemies and kill them one by one as they reappear? Bounty hunter has you on that.

So you may say, well you have to set up all that before combat right? Well traps need to be placed out of line of sight from enemies... But it checks from the point of view of the thief. So if you carry around a blind scroll or can cast blind spell on yourself...

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Spells aren’t even the most ridiculous thing.

Traps do ridiculous, unresistable damage with no to hit roll and you can put out up to 7 of them. And that’s not even getting into bounty hunter traps or high level abilities. Want to do something like 140 d6 unresistable damage? Lure a boss into your spike trap field. Want to just maze a group of enemies and kill them one by one as they reappear? Bounty hunter has you on that.

So you may say, well you have to set up all that before combat right? Well traps need to be placed out of line of sight from enemies... But it checks from the point of view of the thief. So if you carry around a blind scroll or can cast blind spell on yourself...

Traps were one of the more accessible cheese options. One of the earliest ways to win most of the dragon fights was to just lay down a whole lot of traps before initiating dialogue and have the dragon explode at the start of combat. IIRC there was some attempt to tone it down a bit but it still remained a very powerful option.

High level wizards did get their own version of cheese in the base game though. Time Stop and Shapechange to turn into a mind flayer let you land tentacle attacks with impunity on most foes and kill them with no saving throws or resistances. The game was not prepared for that and I believe you would lose out on exp for kills with brain munching. Some on death scripts also may have been broken too.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    New Humble Bundle:

That sounds pretty... Oh looks like Shadow mode can be added as dlc for the base games. $5 on steam right now. Hmmm

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    I knew things would have to ramp up, but I was unprepared for my first feral. Poor Omar needs to get home and spend some time in medical.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Someone else getting it first just means you gift @CorriganX something else

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I knew things would have to ramp up, but I was unprepared for my first feral. Poor Omar needs to get home and spend some time in medical.

Have you met a juggernaut yet? :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Wait whats the difference in BG3?

It's being made by Larian, of Divinity: Original Sin fame.
    It uses D&D 5th edition rules.
    It is turn based in large part due to those things above.

Yep, I can't even begin to imagine how they'd make a game based on 5E without being strictly turn-based. The action economy is fundamental to the gameplay and would never work in RTWP.

On a related note, BG3 is amazing. Have I mentioned that lately?

For some reason they did it to Pathfinder 2e for Kingmaker, and in that system the action economy is also fundamental.

I hated how Kingmaker played. So I guess that proves the point.

I should go back now that there's a turn based mode.

• Options

Have you met a juggernaut yet? :D

Not yet - I assume that's the huge guy on the title screen?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ferals and Juggernauts both suck ass and are never fun to fight and I would remove them from the game if I could. Could never find a mod for it.

Enemies that you want to run from are good for that style of game.

But they force you to fight them sometimes and it's gaaaaaaaaaarbage.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Ferals and jugs are the only thing that give the game any challenge though. Otherwise it's just "apocalypse hoarding simulator"...

Also, one head shot from pretty much any gun in the game puts down a feral, so they're not hard to deal with. Just scary when they come rushing out of nowhere.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The existence Ferals and Big'Uns are probably a factor in why I can never seem to get into SoD1 for long. Two types of enemies that have no logical reason to exist except for anything other than 'challenge'. And all I can think about is L4Ds Director which is designed to fuck you over if you play in any way other than what it wants. (Subject to change without notice.)

It's just a fresh coat of paint on rubberband AI.

• Options
    I do agree that they have no logical reason to exist. And I'd be happy to have them removed if they were replaced with, like, ginormous roving hordes of standard zombies instead.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    I don't know - I don't come to zombie anything for realism.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I kind of want to play some SoD2 again now...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

They don't all have to be fantastical.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

The very idea of zombies are fantastical though. I don't feel that realistic zombie fiction exists, it's all a matter of taste and suspension of disbelief.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

The very idea of zombies are fantastical though. I don't feel that realistic zombie fiction exists, it's all a matter of taste and suspension of disbelief.

Walking Dead comics are pretty close IMO.

• Options

It's more the stuff surrounding the zombies that can be realistic. And some stuff that seemed silly like widespread denial or people hiding that they were bitten feels more believable after seeing what people have done during the pandemic.

With some of those lessons though, I expect future zombie games to include sourdough starters in the loot you can find while scavenging homes.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options

I know that. They don't all have to be fantastical. There is plenty of room in the genre to have a more realistic environment.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    You guys keep talking DnD and I'll have to dig up the stories about the Head of Vecna and The Gazebo

Mugsley on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Got a very lovely surprise this afternoon!
    40oJFZt.png

Thank you @subedii for the, as you put it, dapperly dressed pugilism! Fights in Tight Spaces looks great, and I'm keen to give it a go now that it's out of entered EA. Much appreciated!

(The first line of your gift message was garbled though. Just unintelligible letters thrown together with no apparent meaning. I'm sorry that whatever you intended to convey in that first line has been lost to the ages...)

EDIT: Corrected, @klemming! :)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Could be blacklight virus spawning viral monkeys from the dirt, or some poor soul becoming a heart and spawning gene clones.

• Options

I know that. They don't all have to be fantastical. There is plenty of room in the genre to have a more realistic environment.

I think it's tougher for more grounded zombies to be in a lot of games, especially those in real time. They just aren't that interesting to fight if you're a lot more mobile than they are or well armed and you kind of have to be if you only control one person (though a fun combat system can go a long way in remedying that for action games). Hence the frequent addition of track star zombies and the like.

Strategy games and RPGs have more leeway to make baseline zombies more of a threat since you have party tactics to fall back on instead of just agility and weaponry. In Dead State a scavenging party could kill a lot of zombies by focusing attacks but even at higher levels a zombie could still hurt one on one.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    If the npc ai was better the special zombies wouldn't be as bad. As is, if you've got a party and you're fighting a juggernaut... someone's probably getting torn in half.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Got a very lovely surprise this afternoon!
    40oJFZt.png

Thank you subedii for the, as you put it, dapperly dressed pugilism! Fights in Tight Spaces looks great, and I'm keen to give it a go now that it's out of EA. Much appreciated!

(The first line of your gift message was garbled though. Just unintelligible letters thrown together with no apparent meaning. I'm sorry that whatever you intended to convey in that first line has been lost to the ages...)
    Unless I've gotten it wrong, it's just entered EA. I've bought it anyway, because I put like 12 hours into the demo over the last month.
    It's good! Tough, though. I wiped the floor with the bikers, beat the prison section with naught but psychological wounds, just made it past the ninjas with the minimum amount of blood I needed to survive, then the mafia figured out that my true weakness was getting shot a whole hell of a lot.
    I think it might need some difficulty balancing later on. During the last half I was getting mission goals that just weren't possible to meet in the time limits it gave me. Can't meet the goals, can't get money/upgrades, so it's all downhill from there.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options

I think it's tougher for more grounded zombies to be in a lot of games, especially those in real time. They just aren't that interesting to fight if you're a lot more mobile than they are or well armed and you kind of have to be if you only control one person (though a fun combat system can go a long way in remedying that for action games). Hence the frequent addition of track star zombies and the like.

Strategy games and RPGs have more leeway to make baseline zombies more of a threat since you have party tactics to fall back on instead of just agility and weaponry. In Dead State a scavenging party could kill a lot of zombies by focusing attacks but even at higher levels a zombie could still hurt one on one.

Everything about SoD1 is right in my wheelhouse for what I want in a zombie game. Right up to the mission where you defend the rednecks from a siege to get the doc. And everytime I play, that's the moment that causes me to lose interest and I never seem to pick it back up.

I don't need or want the track star. I want a game that gives me The Walking Dead but without a decade of overttext that humans are the real monsters and nothing will ever get better no matter how much you try. They already make those games that I also don't have to play.

If 'regular' Romero zombies aren't interesting enough, them why make any zombie games at all? They could just as easily be aliens or robots or whatever.

This discussion has been closed.