Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Jedoc wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Fuck, my employer has hosted a course on face profiling. D: So fucking disappointing. Gonna go and pick a fight after I've talked with my union rep.

What does this mean?

I THINK it's bullshit like "You have these facial features therefore you have these personality traits that we like. This other person has these other facial features and therefore has perverse and degenerate personality flaws."

9bito3r4obd3.png

Ah, yes. The four personality types.

How is it anything but blatant racism?

I mean, I know y'all don't subscribe to it. But how do those that do even pretend?

Edit: The image is satire right?

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Fuck, my employer has hosted a course on face profiling. D: So fucking disappointing. Gonna go and pick a fight after I've talked with my union rep.

What does this mean?

I THINK it's bullshit like "You have these facial features therefore you have these personality traits that we like. This other person has these other facial features and therefore has perverse and degenerate personality flaws."

9bito3r4obd3.png

Ah, yes. The four personality types.

How is it anything but blatant racism?

I mean, I know y'all don't subscribe to it. But how do those that do even pretend?

Edit: The image is satire right?

"Algorithms can't be racist."

Same dumb shit people always say. Because of course, the person programming the algorithm couldn't possibly encode their own biases.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    turns out that if I shave my beard and put on some eyeliner and a hat I can be a high IQ professional terrorist poker player.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ah, machine learning, or if we call it what it really is “bias laundering” barf

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    So my ex boss is acting like my boss still and just threatened that my job may be on the line if I don't work all day today to get the company tax accountant what he needs.

I'm an engineer, I was not hired to do the company books for the first six months of last year when I wasn't employed by this company. I am also not trained in this accounting software.

As best as I can tell not all of the bills, payroll, and invoices were reconciled for the first 6 months.

Weee

Sounds like something to reply to with your actual boss CC'd asking why they are asking someone who isn't under their management or department to perform tasks that aren't part of their job description.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I can't wait for it to scan my face and then a computer runs its program and I get a print out that just says "Big ol loser lol" on it.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »
    So my ex boss is acting like my boss still and just threatened that my job may be on the line if I don't work all day today to get the company tax accountant what he needs.

I'm an engineer, I was not hired to do the company books for the first six months of last year when I wasn't employed by this company. I am also not trained in this accounting software.

As best as I can tell not all of the bills, payroll, and invoices were reconciled for the first 6 months.

Weee

Sounds like something to reply to with your actual boss CC'd asking why they are asking someone who isn't under their management or department to perform tasks that aren't part of their job description.

Or "To confirm, you'd like me to focus on this instead of my current priority of X - (Boss), can you advise?"

• Options
    I got picked to be part of a group to evaluate proposals for continuing remote work and moving into a potential hybrid model. One of the suggestions is that since people don't have to commute anymore, that extra 1-2 hours a day can be spent on unpaid professional development for the good of the org.

I hate this idea so much oh my god. I need to figure out a way to give this a bad review without it looking like I am biased.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    @expendable has the right of it, to the T. It's insane. The example that was shared on our intranet was an overview of what different shapes of ears could tell you about someone's character. Like... WHAT. A cursory Duckduckgo-search reveals detailed descriptions of how your head shape determines how """"analytical"""" you are and somehow all the examples are of white people. Like, no one appears to be saying the quiet part out loud.

I fully intend to make someone say the quiet part out loud and see if we can get a course on how to prevent racial profiling on the agenda.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I can't wait for it to scan my face and then a computer runs its program and I get a print out that just says "Big ol loser lol" on it.

Pretty sure it's going to say ...
    Huggable and floofy. Sleeps a lot.
    6f8qzjr60xie.png

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    @expendable has the right of it, to the T. It's insane. The example that was shared on our intranet was an overview of what different shapes of ears could tell you about someone's character. Like... WHAT. A cursory Duckduckgo-search reveals detailed descriptions of how your head shape determines how """"analytical"""" you are and somehow all the examples are of white people. Like, no one appears to be saying the quiet part out loud.

I fully intend to make someone say the quiet part out loud and see if we can get a course on how to prevent racial profiling on the agenda.

If you lose an ear in an accident, then logically, your personality would change right.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I got picked to be part of a group to evaluate proposals for continuing remote work and moving into a potential hybrid model. One of the suggestions is that since people don't have to commute anymore, that extra 1-2 hours a day can be spent on unpaid professional development for the good of the org.

I hate this idea so much oh my god. I need to figure out a way to give this a bad review without it looking like I am biased.

Are they trying to say that reason is a +1 to the pro list? Because yeah, the organization may be improved by people having more time to screw around with whatever or studying for a new cert or whatever.
    But to make that required and not pay for it? They can eat shit.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Keep going, we're so close to computer engineers reinventing phrenology. We can't make fun of them if we stop them from getting there.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »

Are they trying to say that reason is a +1 to the pro list? Because yeah, the organization may be improved by people having more time to screw around with whatever or studying for a new cert or whatever.

Yeah its like "Hey I know one of the benefits of WFH is not having to drive and hour plus each way in traffic and pay for parking, but what if instead we pushed you to spend that time learning new skills for you to do work with and also you pay for it?"

Maybe fuck all the way off?

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    What if someone lives close to work? Do they need to spend less time? Or were they already expected to spend unpaid time developing themselves, compared to the ones commuting?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    I had a constructive heart to heart wherein I explained that reports can not be more accurate than the data provided, nor can they be completed prior it said data being provided. Me being the guy that understands 'spreadsheets' does not in fact empower me to violate the laws of entropy or space-time.

The learning I have taken from this is that things that are obvious to me, such as the above, are not always obvious to others, and when they ask "can you fix it?" after I've told them that the data has simply not been provided, they're interacting with technology as magic.

You had this coming. Most of the stuff spreadsheet people do looks like magic to the uninitiated, now you're being asked to put your mana where your mouth is.

I brought this on myself with formatting tricks and CONCATENATE.

I'm really coming to understand all that stuff in The Wizard of Earthsea about the wisdom of silence and the power of choosing not to do magic.

Or at least not admitting to anyone that you did it, Ogion. You sly bastard.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

That feels like a huge legal liability on their end. They can't require you to do stuff for the organization and then not pay you as far as I understand it. The exempt employees would get screwed, but I just assume they are being screwed over already to the point that it wouldn't make a difference.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Yeah its like "Hey I know one of the benefits of WFH is not having to drive and hour plus each way in traffic and pay for parking, but what if instead we pushed you to spend that time learning new skills for you to do work with and also you pay for it?"

If you ain't gettin paid for the time then they can fuck off. Professional development time should be during salaried/wage time, that's why it's called PROFESSIONAL development.

• Options
    I had a constructive heart to heart wherein I explained that reports can not be more accurate than the data provided, nor can they be completed prior it said data being provided. Me being the guy that understands 'spreadsheets' does not in fact empower me to violate the laws of entropy or space-time.

The learning I have taken from this is that things that are obvious to me, such as the above, are not always obvious to others, and when they ask "can you fix it?" after I've told them that the data has simply not been provided, they're interacting with technology as magic.

You had this coming. Most of the stuff spreadsheet people do looks like magic to the uninitiated, now you're being asked to put your mana where your mouth is.

I brought this on myself with formatting tricks and CONCATENATE.

I'm really coming to understand all that stuff in The Wizard of Earthsea about the wisdom of silence and the power of choosing not to do magic.

Or at least not admitting to anyone that you did it, Ogion. You sly bastard.

Granny Weatherwax approves of this message.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Keep going, we're so close to computer engineers reinventing phrenology. We can't make fun of them if we stop them from getting there.

When making fun of the latest take on phrenology, it is important to face facts.

• Options
    It isn't even coming from tech bros, this is full on "inspired by an ages old Chinese tradition" from the usual suspects of that kind of mystical hogwash.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Ask them if that means they'll be accepting liability for accidents that occur on work commutes and if those with shorter commutes have to contribute the same. If there determining that it's part of the workday and course and scope of work, it opens up a huge amount of liability and potential workers comp

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    "The algorithm is never wrong" is just a modern version of the infamous question that was asked by a member of Parliament to Charles Babbage.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

So you admit all the commuting time was work and you'll be compensating me with back pay?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I know no work place is great but sometimes I hear about the shit the corporate world does or tries to get done wrt employees and it makes me glad that I work where I do.

I say that now but I know we've gotten a consultant for future teleworking policies so it will be...interesting...to see what they come up with.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I know no work place is great but sometimes I hear about the shit the corporate world does or tries to get done wrt employees and it makes me glad that I work where I do.

I say that now but I know we've gotten a consultant for future teleworking policies so it will be...interesting...to see what they come up with.

I work for a non-profit technically!

And this is just an idea project, I don't think management would ever sign off on it for the reasons stated.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

I work for a non-profit technically!

And this is just an idea project, I don't think management would ever sign off on it for the reasons stated.

Don't get me wrong, I've definitely worked on stuff behind the scenes where we throw ideas around and some are controversial. But we also don't go much more forward with those for obvious reasons.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My schedule at work has been in shambles over the last year between the pandemic and my wife's stuff. Just found out her disability interview got moved up to next week, and I've now been invited to it. Presumably because I'm listed as a caretaker. Had to tell my boss who just shifted jobs around and said "you're cool, already marked you out that day."

The company has been shit for a good chunk of the year, but he's been great. Glad for that.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    i work for a not for profit and management still wants to exploit labor as much as possible.

wfh is still seen as a privilege and only permitted because the company sees value in it

capitalism is an infectious disease

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

So you admit all the commuting time was work and you'll be compensating me with back pay?

Wow. Rephrasing that as a question we should maybe ask legal before we move forward with this sounds like the most surefire way to get this idea buried dead in the ground.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Boss's boss: "I want you to do it once and do it right."

Also my boss's boss: "I need you to fix this problem RIGHT NOW, it's fine if you minimally test it."

I'm beginning to think quality isn't a priority around here. 🤔

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Kadith wrote: »
    i work for a not for profit and management still wants to exploit labor as much as possible.

wfh is still seen as a privilege and only permitted because the company sees value in it

It's true! Sometimes I feel like our business office is even more draconian than most for-profit businesses, they just replace "increase stockholder value" with "be a good steward of taxpayer money."

Edit: wait, no, "taxpayer dollars." Why do fuckin' money people always refer to money as "dollars?" It makes me think they keep the entire library budget in a Scrooge McDuck vault and just roll around in it until we spend it all on books and crafting supplies.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Boss's boss: "I want you to do it once and do it right."

Also my boss's boss: "I need you to fix this problem RIGHT NOW, it's fine if you minimally test it."

I'm beginning to think quality isn't a priority around here. 🤔

Nah, its totally internally consistent. They just expect 100% quality all the time. You don't need to test if you do it right the first time.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

It's true! Sometimes I feel like our business office is even more draconian than most for-profit businesses, they just replace "increase stockholder value" with "be a good steward of taxpayer money."

Edit: wait, no, "taxpayer dollars." Why do fuckin' money people always refer to money as "dollars?" It makes me think they keep the entire library budget in a Scrooge McDuck vault and just roll around in it until we spend it all on books and crafting supplies.

it's easier to pretend something is real if you refer to it as a physical object

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I picked up an extra shift the day before my vacation whatthefuckiswrongwithme.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Look here buster, if you don't synergize your upward revenue stream dynamics, we're going to upscale diversify flow your compensatory deliberations.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I do not like discovering that a subordinate was never trained on an extremely critical documentation procedure.

I am really thankful no clients found out first

Guess how many times i saw this repeat since this post. Guess.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Zero. Good job everyone, cool couple of days for Royce, very relaxing and fulfilling.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think I've ever refered to money as dollars. Usually funds

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I picked up an extra shift the day before my vacation whatthefuckiswrongwithme.

EVERYTHING!!!!!!