Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Is there anywhere where the previewed rulebook changes are summarized?

I'll do my best to give a summary of stuff I know:

Board sizes are now 40k sized, so expect tournaments to rapidly adopt the smaller table size
    Monsters have new abilities when charging and may do other stuff like being able to stomp/roar (stomping might be similar to the fight last ability of treelords in Sylvaneth)
    There are more command points in general and you both get more CP at the start of each battle round
    Second player gets more command points in a round, can remove objectives from the 3rd battleround onwards and can now move endless spells on BOTH players hero phases
    Battalions are generic instead of being by army, which is designed to balance the have and have nots. This is an essential change IMO.
    There are charge reactions and potentially other reactions that you can use with CP during each phase of the game
    They've added crusade narrative style play rules, which given this is great in 40k I am happy to see here
    Heroes have specific new reactions as well

There is probably more, but this is a list of stuff that I have assembled and is confirmed - not just rumor. On the other hand, so far the people making rumors that I've followed have been 100% bang on with all of this. So in terms of unconfirmed stuff I know about that might be happening:

Unit size maximums for taking the same unit might be in, as in you can only take one above a certain size. For example you can run one unit of 60 grots, but can only run another at 40 and the last at 20 or whatever. I'm not sure on the specifics on how this is supposed to work, but it might be one of the changes in there too.
    Non-generic heroes might be getting the ability to have command traits and artefacts. Meaning Kragnos and his dumb amount of points might be because he's a monster AND he might be able to get artefacts/traits that let him shore up his weaknesses (EG mortal wounds). This is not confirmed but rumored.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So if battalions are being made generic, does that mean getting the new Kragnos book wouldn't be worth it if I only want it for the Skaven stuff or is that something different?

I haven't had a chance to really dive into list building and such so I'm not sure.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Also they referenced, albeit obliquely, Chaos Dwarves. Something I never thought would happen as they obliterated that army even in Fantasy and I didn't think were ever going back to it. Apparently they sell Hobgrots to the Orruk factions and arm them with grenade things*.

*Which historically are based on the Grenades the Mongols used to chuck at people.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Also they referenced, albeit obliquely, Chaos Dwarves. Something I never thought would happen as they obliterated that army even in Fantasy and I didn't think were ever going back to it. Apparently they sell Hobgrots to the Orruk factions and arm them with grenade things*.

*Which historically are based on the Grenades the Mongols used to chuck at people.

htd4p1op9cet.png

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried Age of Sigmar Stormground? It's on steam for 15% off at the moment, just wondering if it's worth picking up.

My buddies and I are primarily 40k players, but have dabbled a bit in AOS... Stormground is kind of a digital version of Direchasm?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Age of Sigmar Stormground? It's on steam for 15% off at the moment, just wondering if it's worth picking up.

My buddies and I are primarily 40k players, but have dabbled a bit in AOS... Stormground is kind of a digital version of Direchasm?

Underworlds is the digital version of Direchasm, and is getting better imho

Storm ground is apparently more of a rogue like/lite where you slowly power up your units and heroes, with a certain amount of progress being kept when you restart. ( haven’t played yet, just the reviews). Downside is the limited factions and units available.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

forgeworld has had sigmar chorfs for a while, and are technical a playable faction(albeit a very bad one) so them getting a real army book was never off the table in sigmar

also yeah, during the mongol-led yuan dynasty invasions of japan, they used grenades and scared the piss out of the japanese and their horses

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I hear Storm Ground is quite good, but pretty difficult. I'm not a big turn-based fan so I haven't picked it up yet myself, maybe if there's a sale.

I think the forge world chaos dwarves are quite hard to get hold of these days, often out of stock or unavailable. But the fact they've been referenced so plainly suggests to me we'll be seeing a plastic army for them sometime in 3.0.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Do the Kruleboyz seem strangely torso-y to anyone else? Particularly the Killaboss on Great Gnashtoof - I don't know if it's just a bad angle, but my brain can't parse what's going on with his thigh.

xmgxozHhkAQDPtga.jpg

Does this help?
    hom5t83ejhi0.jpeg
    I’m pretty sure that “armour” is very, ah, hopeful, in terms of being a true representation of the organism within. Kind a like a snail shell but uglier.

Also if you look at the kruleboyz next to the new stormcasts, their proportions are pretty much inverted to each other. around 3/2 torso legs for the orcs while the stormcasts are more 2 parts torso, 3 parts leg.

honovere on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Do the Kruleboyz seem strangely torso-y to anyone else? Particularly the Killaboss on Great Gnashtoof - I don't know if it's just a bad angle, but my brain can't parse what's going on with his thigh.

xmgxozHhkAQDPtga.jpg

Does this help?
    hom5t83ejhi0.jpeg
    I’m pretty sure that “armour” is very, ah, hopeful, in terms of being a true representation of the organism within. Kind a like a snail shell but uglier.

Also if you look at the kruleboyz next to the new stormcasts, their proportions are pretty much inverted to each other. around 3/2 torso legs for the orcs while the stormcasts are more 2 parts torso, 3 parts leg.

The news orcs are krul and unusual.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Where can I find the FAQ that says Skaven do shenanigans with skitterleap and gnawholes?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It's just in the Skaven designer's commentary.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    It's just in the Skaven designer's commentary.

Thank you, not sure why I didn't click on the designer's commentary. I have a feeling I might get some pushback from my play group when I do it so I wanted to be ready.

I was curious though, one of the questions is, "can skaven units be taken as allies for a skaven tide army?" and the answer was no. What does that even mean?

Stragint on

• Options
    It's been a long while since the skaven book came out, but I guess it's addressing some loophole where you were able to ally in units of one clan but keep the conditional battleline options of another.

• Options
    They previewed the idoneth warband for WHU
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/01/elathains-soulraid-are-prepared-to-surge-through-direchasm-with-these-cards/
    vkmpaid99ds2.png

And the fish has a wall of text
    wu7kacq64kyj.png
    Unlike the rest of the warband, Spinefin is not a fighter. Instead, this fish can appear at will around the battlefield in all sorts of unlikely places. Those who think a harmless fish can be safely ignored will think twice once they’re forced to contend with blocked hexes where they least expect them.

oddly they inspire on the 2nd round and uninspire on the 3rd
    but they have a card for that
    y5dx82qj4o17.png

• Options
    Well this is very 40k. A Dawnbringer Crusade
    3q03R90EPUln7uJ0.jpg
    Because stormcasts can't show up everywhere willy nilly anymore.

The article also implies that their new armour is partially made by Grungni.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    That picture has some strong 40k vibes to it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Can I get some advice on a list? I'm not sure if I should try to fit in a battalion or not. My play group is Ogors, Orks, Sylvaneth, and one player switches betweens Son of Behemat and Slaves to Darkness.
    +++ New Roster (Age of Sigmar) [2,000pts] +++

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Chaos - Skaven) ++

+ Leader +

Grey Seer on Screaming Bell: 3. Skitterleap, 5. Master of Magic, 6. Staff of Rightful Supremacy, Arcane Bolt, Cracks Call, General - Masterclan, Mystic Shield, Protection of the Horned Rat, Rusty Spikes, Tearing Claws and Fangs, Warpstone Staff

Plague Priest on Plague Furnace: Foetid Blades, Great Plague Censer, Rusty Spikes
    . Plague Priest: Warpstone-tipped Staff

Verminlord Warpseer: Arcane Bolt, Doom Glaive, Howling Warpgale, Mystic Shield, Prehensile Tails

+ Battleline +

Plague Monks: 4x 10 Plague Monks, Foetid Blade and Book of Woes, Foetid Blade and Woe-stave, Plague Harbingers, Standard Bearers

Plague Monks: 4x 10 Plague Monks, Foetid Blade and Book of Woes, Foetid Blade and Woe-stave, Plague Harbingers, Standard Bearers

Plague Monks: 4x 10 Plague Monks, Foetid Blade and Book of Woes, Pair of Foetid Blades, Plague Harbingers, Standard Bearers

Plague Monks: 4x 10 Plague Monks, Foetid Blade and Book of Woes, Pair of Foetid Blades, Plague Harbingers, Standard Bearers

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Skaventide

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spell: Soulsnare Shackles

Endless Spell: Warp Lightning Vortex

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)
    It's been a long while since the skaven book came out, but I guess it's addressing some loophole where you were able to ally in units of one clan but keep the conditional battleline options of another.

Ah, alright. Would not have thought of something like that.

Stragint on

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I think in order to have plague monks as battle line you can only have one masterclan unit and it has to be your general. You appear to have two separate masterclan units. To not have the list be illegal you'd have to have your verminlord be a corruptor or drop the grey seer on bell.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    I think in order to have plague monks as battle line you can only have one masterclan unit and it has to be your general. You appear to have two separate masterclan units. To not have the list be illegal you'd have to have your verminlord be a corruptor or drop the grey seer on bell.

I'll double check on that, battlescribe isn't giving me an error but battlescribe isn't fool proof.

Was also thinking of switching to the corruptor anyway but then that leaves me with 40 points unused.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    That picture has some strong 40k vibes to it.

It does. Although elements like that sometimes showed up in fantasy, too. The automural of Middenheim delivered for example.

• Options
    I think it's time to see how far my painting has come. I'm going to try to paint the Idoneth Deepkin Warband to as high a standard on every model as I can possibly do. Mostly because I want to push myself and because I have been brimming with more confidence after my Cursed City painting. Also, CRAB BATTLE.

• Options
    Really the warband is has some of the things I would like to come to the Idoneth to get away from the eel frenzy
    As I would like the shoals of fish and crabs as well as other creatures of sea but what? I kind of don't want a beastmaster [I know the Dark elves had them and still have them in CoS} the armored one on foot is another one as it would get people away from the blocks of reavers
    I have no idea past that since they are getting a set of endless spells whenever their army book comes out

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Stragint wrote: »

I'll double check on that, battlescribe isn't giving me an error but battlescribe isn't fool proof.

Was also thinking of switching to the corruptor anyway but then that leaves me with 40 points unused.

Throw in an endless spell of your choice! Maybe the bell so you can cover more rats with battleshock immunity.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Stragint wrote: »

Throw in an endless spell of your choice! Maybe the bell so you can cover more rats with battleshock immunity.

With switching to the corruptor and dropping the soulsnare shackles along with 20 plague monks I can get a congregation of filth battalion and give the 60 plague monks in that battalion a 6+ FNP.

Not sure if it is better to do the battalion or have 160 plague monks instead of 140 and have soulsnare shackles and bell of doom.

Stragint on

• Options
    It'll be interesting to see what 9th does with batallions. Rumour is all existing ones move to narrative only and matched play will have generic options available to all factions.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Did GW say when Dominion goes up for pre-order? I hate to be a dirty pre-orderer, but I really want the new box and GW is on this "make starter boxes limited edition now, because that's fun" kick.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Did GW say when Dominion goes up for pre-order? I hate to be a dirty pre-orderer, but I really want the new box and GW is on this "make starter boxes limited edition now, because that's fun" kick.

Yeah they "made a lot of them" but they said that about Cursed City too. If you want it, preorder it or just move on with never being able to get it.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

Everything I've seen has just said "June" without specifying even in general terms. I probably won't be able to get a pre-order, they tend to disappear within moments but I'll try for it. Otherwise I'll try pre-ordering through my FLGS as they usually have the stock.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options

Everything I've seen has just said "June" without specifying even in general terms. I probably won't be able to get a pre-order, they tend to disappear within moments but I'll try for it. Otherwise I'll try pre-ordering through my FLGS as they usually have the stock.

I should go this route as well. I'll try and get an online pre-order but likely stick one in at my FLGS as well as a backup plan.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Really I am ok with not getting Dominion as I just want the full rule book when it comes out as I am sticking with the armies I have

• Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in late June (assuming it drops early in June) or July the announce made to order boxes like with Indomitus.

I'd still try to pre-order if possible but I'd really hope they learned from Indomitus.

• Options
    I play Stormcast, so it has some fun new models for me. And I have friend who wants the orks so it just works out well as a box for me.

• Options
    I am kind of glad it didn't have Skaven in it. I went kind of HAM splitting 3 boxes of Indomitus with a friend. Not sure I'd be able to look myself in the mirror if I did something like that again so soon.

I do really like some of the new Stormcast models. They are looking cool. I really hope they do what that did with indomitus and just do the made to order thing or just not have to run into product issues in general.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Details about heroic actions and monstrous rampages:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/03/how-warhammer-age-of-sigmars-new-edition-turns-monsters-and-heroes-up-to-11/

You can see how the new layout of the core rulebook will look which I think does make things seem a lot clearer.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Earlier today I went to the GW store to get the various items I bought from the store anniversary week [I got the old nercon!}
    But the weird thing was they had Morgork's Krushas in a very beat up box for cheap if only you bought the new essential cards for WHU with them $37 before tax
    So I did since want that warband and being on my secondary list and the cards well from the preview from a few months ago about them I felt it would be worth it to see how they get used? I did remark to the sole employee/manager of the store that it is kind of sad many of the people on youtube and outside of reddit gave up on playing it after nightvault retired so tips and other strategies for the game as I really only play my brother but he gets annoyed at some of the decks I build [like the spells for days for the eyes of nine} He lamented he is looking forward to having customers in the store again but said it was kind of disturbing the state push forward it's reopening plan even though 5 counties slid backwards into the pandemic

So one of the things I do need to do for the game here is find a way to store all the warbands with their decks and the extra decks/cards I have as well as the play kit

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    In amongst all that ‘Skulls’ digital stuff you probably skipped past, they hid that Shadow of the Horned Rat is free on GoG if you fancy some retro Warhammer digital nostalgia.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I also snagged the old DOS 40k games (Chaos Gate, an Epic one, and an Eldar one) for $5.50 combined.

Gimme that 90s jank.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Man, I love Stormcasts. Chonky, slim, super chonk, just gimme them. I'm lusting hard after Dominion.

• Options
    That feeling of dread when you start painting a decorative freehand line over a smooth airbrushed completely shaded and highlighted model. 10 times. *sweat*

This discussion has been closed.