As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Knowing that mites are dying in my facial pores and exploding in a shower of poop has made my life immeasurably worse.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Peas wrote: »
    A Brief (Scientific) History of Butts 13:39
    https://youtu.be/BMoF4iupwfw

I have to say, this gentleman pointing directly into the camera and gleefully reading the line "the origin of your anus" is a more challenging watch than I've come to expect from PBS.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I want ‘em round, thick and juicy
    So fine that you see double
    Mix-a-Lot’s in trouble
    Beggin’ for a piece of that bubble

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

🚨 Incendio registrado en aguas del Golfo de México

A 400 metros de la plataforma Ku-Charly (dentro del Activo Integral de Producción Ku Maloob Zaap)

Una válvula de una línea submarina habría reventado y provocado el incendio

Esta fuera de control hace 8 horas https://t.co/KceOTDU1kX
    Fire registered in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico 400 meters from the Ku-Charly platform (within the Ku Maloob Zaap Integral Production Asset) A valve of a submarine line would have burst and caused the fire It was out of control for 8 hours https: / /t.co/KceOTDU1kX

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    At first I was like, whoa, what volcano is that? The boiling lava lake look never goes out of style. Then I saw the rig…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Oh, just a regular old portal to hell, nothing to see there.

Sidenote: how bad is that for the environment? On a scale from 10 to 1 million?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I have to imagine it's still pretty bad, but at least it's gas so it's escaping and mixing into the atmosphere rather than sitting on top of the ocean causing problems like oil?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I will never cease to be amazed at human ingenuity. We actually managed to set the sea on fire.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I will never cease to be amazed at human ingenuity. We actually managed to set the sea on fire.

my dream of fist fighting every phytoplankton in the ocean is almost at hand

time to show those little fuckers who's boss

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I'm not sure ingenuity is the trait that leads humans to Whoopsy physics

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well it's sure as hell not our constant horniness that led to it, bonobos ain't never set fire to nothing.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Bonobo builds a fire and toasts marshmallows - Monkey Planet: Preview - BBC One 1:09
    https://youtu.be/GQcN7lHSD5Y

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2021
    I've been proven wrong, quick everybody get to fucking!!

tynic on
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    honovere wrote: »
    Oh, just a regular old portal to hell, nothing to see there.

Sidenote: how bad is that for the environment? On a scale from 10 to 1 million?

Really quite bad, but not as bad as a leak that size that isn't on fire. When you burn natural gas you get a bunch of atmospheric carbon and nitrogen oxides, but when you just vent natural gas you tend to release a lot of methane, which is even worse.

But the good news is that the hellmouth up there represents a tiny fraction of the natural gas that's routinely burned for no good reason, all the time, in oil fields around the world.

Wait, sorry, that's not good news at all, I mistyped.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Tynic - Peas - Tynic up there was an S tier post combo

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    Bonobo builds a fire and toasts marshmallows - Monkey Planet: Preview - BBC One 1:09
    https://youtu.be/GQcN7lHSD5Y

See, I’m sure I’d be much more impressed by the bonobos that figured out how to make safety matches and cardboard, why didn’t they show footage of those guys?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I have seen adult human animals do much worse at building a fire outside with a butane lighter, if they had to use matches I assume theyd have sprained their hands and broken all the matches

• Options
    True, but really the point is, does it count if they use human artefacts in a way that appears to be trained? We know chimps of all flavours can be trained to do human-like activities; that’s not new knowledge. So what is the point of the exercise? That they can string together multiple behaviours? Also not precisely novel either. Are they doing this unprompted? Like “we left a bunch of matches and some marshmallows out near a troop we know has been trained on them, let’s see if they bother with the fire or just eat the sugary goo” kinda testing?
    Basically I need some context here.

• Options
    I heard that giving a chimp an unlit cigarette is the cruelest blow because they love smokes but can't use lighters

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    there is a pretty hefty percentage of actual, factual human beings that I would be shocked to discover were able to successfully build a fire and roast marshmallows.

I don't even care about how they learned to do it, that ape built a fire and made a snack.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    there is a pretty hefty percentage of actual, factual human beings that I would be shocked to discover were able to successfully build a fire and roast marshmallows.

I don't even care about how they learned to do it, that ape built a fire and made a snack.

Case in point: the talking heads of Fox & Friends spectacularly failing to roast marshmallows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjiRClRPTDs

That bonobo is definitely better at tool making and tool use than these humans.

• Options
    Some sort of mechanics that's also...biotic?

It'll never catch on.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    don't let the wood nickname fool you, it's not bio-anything. It's nickel with orderly nano-bubbles through it that makes it structurally stronger and rainbow-y.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    don't let the wood nickname fool you, it's not bio-anything. It's nickel with orderly nano-bubbles through it that makes it structurally stronger and rainbow-y.

Yeah, I tend to not really trust most science reporting to describe to me accurately what is happening in the headline. I don't know if the breakdown is with the reporter, but maybe most likely actually the editors -- who just want a headline the average person can grasp whether or not it leads to a bit of confusion/unintentional misinformation.

• Options
    supposedly that's the nickname the researchers themselves use for the material, so fair enough, but yeah it's a bit misleading that there's some biological component to it or the process of creating it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    It’s not even a novel material. Nanolatticed metals have been a thing for ages; the primary advance here is a new technique to assemble the base template without gaps (“reverse cracks” as they have it) before adding the actual metal. Which in turn allows for these lattices to be created on scales that might actually be useful to humans.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah dont fuckin call me until you invent a new element "scientists"

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Yeah dont fuckin call me until you invent a new element "scientists"

https://youtu.be/Oy8ZMFXS_5E

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    It’s not even a novel material. Nanolatticed metals have been a thing for ages; the primary advance here is a new technique to assemble the base template without gaps (“reverse cracks” as they have it) before adding the actual metal. Which in turn allows for these lattices to be created on scales that might actually be useful to humans.

Stainless steel isn't even a novel material. It's just adding some carbon to iron.

• Options
    Actually the main part that makes stainless steel different is the chromium

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SKS rifles manufactured in Yugoslavia do not have rust resistant chromium lined barrels because Yugoslavia doesn't have chromium deposits and the USSR didnt let them have any because they were mad at eachother so if you use corrosive berdan primed ammunition in your Yugoslavian SKS rifle you have to clean it real good asap or else it will become corroded

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

It's entirely possible that humans learned how to build fires and make snacks from a different species of primate, anyway. We were hardly the only tool using apes back in the day.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    SKS rifles manufactured in Yugoslavia do not have rust resistant chromium lined barrels because Yugoslavia doesn't have chromium deposits and the USSR didnt let them have any because they were mad at eachother so if you use corrosive berdan primed ammunition in your Yugoslavian SKS rifle you have to clean it real good asap or else it will become corroded

you are an endless font of interesting knowledge

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

It's iron with chromium and nickel. Iron at room temperature wants to have a body centered cubic structure, but at elevated temperatures it will take on a face centered cubic structure. Chromium and Nickel both have an FCC structure. Chromium on its own can't force iron to take on an FCC structure at room temperatures, but nickel is able to do so. So chromium is added because it forms a stable oxide layer to protect the steel (chromium oxide) and helps to force the structure to FCC, and nickel forces the structure to FCC.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

It's iron with chromium and nickel. Iron at room temperature wants to have a body centered cubic structure, but at elevated temperatures it will take on a face centered cubic structure. Chromium and Nickel both have an FCC structure. Chromium on its own can't force iron to take on an FCC structure at room temperatures, but nickel is able to do so. So chromium is added because it forms a stable oxide layer to protect the steel (chromium oxide) and helps to force the structure to FCC, and nickel forces the structure to FCC.

Yes, perhaps he should have said "it's just an alloy", to make his point, but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jul/21/enormous-balloon-superbit-could-help-astronomers-get-clear-view-of-space
    Enormous balloon could help astronomers get clear view of space

They're gonna release a giant football stadium sized balloon with a tiny (relatively speaking) telescope floating under it that will float up 25 kms and fly around the earth taking photos of space of similar quality to hubble for a fraction of the cost.

Pretty cool.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    【Deep Sea Review】Ocean Creatures of the Abyss! 1:12:41
    https://youtu.be/QpDf8Mcukoc

Welcome to the future of education

This discussion has been closed.