As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DEATHLOOP] - The newest 0451-em-up by Arkane

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Okay, so some ending / overall story thoughts.
    Kinda loved the ending. Specifically the breaking the loop ending. I guess more specifically I loved the story that you get en route to the ending.

I had picked up on some very vague hints that this was set in the Dishonored universe (Colt and the “Army of the Motherland” being Tyvian, the drunken whaler song, the obvious direct parallels between trinkets and bone charms, the additions direct parallels between the slabs and the abilities from Dishonored, and a handful of “reused assets” that feel purposeful, plus all the general “clearly not Earth” bits) and then the ending pretty much cemented that with the antique whale oil pistols.

So yeah, I’m going with the theory of being able to draw a straight line from the Death of the Outsider to Horizon and the first loop with Colt tapping into the void.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    So i have discovered that once you reach level...50? maybe? As Juliana your rank is replaced by an infinity symbol and it just gives you anything that you don't already have. So I have ever gun in ever iteration and every power+upgrade and all the costumes.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I had an amazing Juliana invasion experience in Colt's Bay. I was exploring the roof of the hangar trying to figure out a better way into Harriet when I got the notification that she had arrived and was apparently in a weird-enough position that I couldn't be seen.

15 minutes later I'd offed Harriet and was bouncing around the other rooftops when I spotted her, crouched near the radar tower. Dropped a grenade at her feet, Aether'd invisible, shifted to behind her as she got back up again and then finished her off with the machete.

I felt like a genius until I noticed that at some point I'd been kicked offline and must've either dealt with the AI or it had glitched out and left her in the position left by the invader for the past 15 minutes

Oh well

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Finished this. What I didn't care for is how hand-holdy it got at the end, for lack of a better term. I decided to to play another loop to collect some missing slab upgrades before I set about to piece together how to complete it, no lie, exactly when I finished and started a new day the game went SO HERE'S EXACTLY HOW YOU BEAT THIS, STEP BY STEP and I'm like maaaaaaaaan.

I mean, it's not terribly complicated all said and done, but just give me a little fun figuring out the last few bits dang. And that relates to my thinking that this game is more regimental than I'd thought it'd be. You do exactly this and that, in this order, and that's it.

Still a pretty good time though, and that credits song kicks ass.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I think I'm "disappointed" by this game but only because I've spent years hyping it up to myself to an unreasonable degree

I was hoping for an 11/10 and it's like an 8, it's "only" very very good

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    you've succumbed to gaming, there's no going back

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm taking a brief break from Colt to play as Juliana

I am... not good

I've killed Colt a grand total of once, but didn't get to his body in time to booby trap it before his next life caught up with me and shot me in the face

I'm gradually learning where the sight lines on the towers are, though, so sometimes I even see Colt before I get shot in the face

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

I am... not good

I've killed Colt a grand total of once, but didn't get to his body in time to booby trap it before his next life caught up with me and shot me in the face

I'm gradually learning where the sight lines on the towers are, though, so sometimes I even see Colt before I get shot in the face

I've honestly never seen a colt go for their body while they know I'm still alive. Certain some players will, but in general i think the mines are better used for where you're predicting he'll come to the radar. They're great as alarms.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    hcx0jfb47eqb.jpg

Well, I done did the thing.

That ending is...yeah, I dunno. I see what they were going for and why they made that choice but I wish some of the open plot threads had been tied up. Arkane usually does some rad DLC though so I'm not too stressed.

Overall, heck of a game! I absolutely loved it.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Given how much talk there is around this game, I have to imagine it's doing numbers, which ensures at least a Death of the Outsider-esque expansion that I am super looking forward to

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Given how much talk there is around this game, I have to imagine it's doing numbers, which ensures at least a Death of the Outsider-esque expansion that I am super looking forward to

I’d love to see something that…
    Bridges the gap between Death of the Outsider and Deathloop. There’s about 100 years between DotO and Colt’s first loop to cover.

There’s also a lot of interesting stuff between Colt getting out of the first loop and going into the second.

minor incident on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

For sure. I'll probably go back tomorrow and bang out the other endings, without trying to do the cheevo, just to see what they are.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    So I haven't played this in a week and I keep forgetting I have it? I don't know what exactly it is about Arkane games where I recognize that they're doing something interesting and cool but my interest just slides right off of them

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    So I haven't played this in a week and I keep forgetting I have it? I don't know what exactly it is about Arkane games where I recognize that they're doing something interesting and cool but my interest just slides right off of them

There's always just enough jank (or maybe "friction" is more accurate) that you kinda need to just soak in whichever game for a few hours to feel the click, to find the rhythms

And there are a lot of nights where "take a few hours to reach the fun" isn't appealing

• Options
    cursedking wrote: »

I am... not good

I've honestly never seen a colt go for their body while they know I'm still alive. Certain some players will, but in general i think the mines are better used for where you're predicting he'll come to the radar. They're great as alarms.

Currently, any Colt bad enough to get killed by me is bad enough to make a beeline directly to their corpse :P

• Options
    It wouldn't be an Arkane game without a masked ball that you have to crash, and so far I've found four methods of finding Alexis.

High violence option:
    Kill everyone

Stealthier option:
    Tag and keep holding until you find the one with "has a cool gun", snipe and run

Isolate option 1:
    Mess with the beer taps so he heads to the store rooms to grab a bottle

Isolate option 2:
    Mess with his decks so he has to head upstairs to fix the music

Are there any more I'm missing?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    It wouldn't be an Arkane game without a masked ball that you have to crash, and so far I've found four methods of finding Alexis.

High violence option:
    Kill everyone

Stealthier option:
    Tag and keep holding until you find the one with "has a cool gun", snipe and run

Isolate option 1:

Isolate option 2:

If you hang out in the hallway behind the stage with the microphone he just shows up at some point.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The first time I tried stealthing that area to get some of the interesting isolation options I managed go just backstabbing the target by complete chance.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

High violence option:
    Kill everyone

Stealthier option:

Isolate option 1:

Isolate option 2:

in his room you can find some info on the song he wrote that morning. Put it into the decks and he'll start dancing by himself in the middle of the floor, spotlight and all. Plenty of people still around to see the kill, but it's a way to ID him at least

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

High violence option:
    Kill everyone

Stealthier option:

Isolate option 1:

Isolate option 2:

If you hang out in the hallway behind the stage with the microphone he just shows up at some point.
    In the room with the stage, if you're facing the stage there's a big sign off to the left. Behind it is a catwalk, and on that catwalk is the dump button for the trap door by the mic.

If you wait until Alexis is delivering his testimony, you can drop him in. This sends everyone in the room into "alert" mode, but with a properly-upgraded Aether you can just stand there and wait until everyone calms back down.

I was absolutely CONVINCED that getting access to the mask-maker's back room would net me a mask to walk around the ball unimpeded, but this is not the case and it was just a piece of the Haul-a-Quin puzzle

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

High violence option:
    Kill everyone

Stealthier option:

Isolate option 1:

Isolate option 2:

In the room with the stage, if you're facing the stage there's a big sign off to the left. Behind it is a catwalk, and on that catwalk is the dump button for the trap door by the mic.

If you wait until Alexis is delivering his testimony, you can drop him in. This sends everyone in the room into "alert" mode, but with a properly-upgraded Aether you can just stand there and wait until everyone calms back down.

I was absolutely CONVINCED that getting access to the mask-maker's back room would net me a mask to walk around the ball unimpeded, but this is not the case and it was just a piece of the Haul-a-Quin puzzle

Haha, I was so mad about this too. I wanted to blend, damnit!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Early on i thought there'd be a way to get Masquerade as Colt

The two big uses for it I was imagining was sneaking into the party, and turning into a Wenjie so you could talk her into going to the party

• Options
    Aw yiss, first Juliana victory

I mean, technically the Eternalists got 2/3 of the kills, and the Visionary died, but a win's a win

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    here's what I want from a DLC

A) Colt spends a few loops to capture and convince Wenjie to explain to him how to operate her equipment

B) On the next loop he kills her and her clones and uses his new knowledge to work her machines

C) Colt brings all his alternate timeline selves (i.e. the rest of his multiplayer skins) into this timeline

D) Colt Storm

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Here’s a hot tip for all you colts out there:

The charge it up sniper rifle produces a huge bright light when you do it, even when cloaked. Several colts basically put up a huge sign for me today while they were “invisible”

• Options

The charge it up sniper rifle produces a huge bright light when you do it, even when cloaked. Several colts basically put up a huge sign for me today while they were “invisible”

So THAT'S what that "blast Karnesis here" light was

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I'm 4 hours in, which is some how only like, one non tutorial day and some invades.

So far I think invades are cool but I almost wish that the invade/not invade thing wasn't a switch so much as toggling 'look honest I just wanna explore, it's not a real visionary kill attempt' or whatever.

Because the times I think I'd be annoyed at invading is when I'm looking into puzzle/hitman/outer wilds stuff and the times I don't care is when it's a multiplayer cat and mouse where I wanna kill a visionary and she wants to stop me/murder me.

EDIT: Also fuck you netcode I was robbed
    foedqezu7f6e.jpg

Albino Bunny on
  • Options

The nailgun? The only scoped rifle I found doesn't have a charge-up mechanic.

• Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

The nailgun? The only scoped rifle I found doesn't have a charge-up mechanic.

There're sniper rifles that can have "Coiled Snake" or something like that as a perk, where it does more damage if you hold the trigger before releasing your shot

• Options
    Speaking of nailguns, I only ever found one special one. It had nails that detonated a couple of seconds after landing. It was insanely fun, because it meant any body shot became a one hit kill. It was also nice for attracting eternalists to specific spots.

Are there any other cool nailguns I never came across?

• Options
    I found one somewhere that did extra damage to tagged targets (which let it one tap on body shots, which was nice) but that was a roll I saw on a few guns so that was probably just a randomly generated purple nailgun.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I found one somewhere that did extra damage to tagged targets (which let it one tap on body shots, which was nice) but that was a roll I saw on a few guns so that was probably just a randomly generated purple nailgun.

The orange level weapons can roll on multiple perks, but they also have a unique perk that isn’t available to other guns.

So the scoped rifle can either do bleed on hit etc or it can have the charged shot perk.

The orange shotgun can for instance have a feat where you get a stacking buff every time you switch modes

cursedking on
  • Options
    Yeah I had a bleed orange rifle and a "tags enemies you shoot" orange rifle.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Speaking of nailguns, I only ever found one special one. It had nails that detonated a couple of seconds after landing. It was insanely fun, because it meant any body shot became a one hit kill. It was also nice for attracting eternalists to specific spots.

Are there any other cool nailguns I never came across?

I use a 'tag nearby enemies' nailgun that's pretty handy.

• Options
    Played my first invasions last night. I basically provided 4 people with some free upgrades as within minutes I was macheted but my last invasion in the Complex was going great.

I managed to figure out where Colt was based on hacked sensors (in Wenjie's quarters below the lab) and snuck up on him whilst he was reading some notes. Then I quickly ran to the rooftop to hide and shotgunned him in the back as he ran back the side door and then I finally got him with some prox mines as he tried again to get down the stairs

Just as the triumphant music started playing and it was about to drop out to the "you win" screen which at this point I have never seen

8WFcZWll.jpg

Didn't register any points, didn't register any feats (I would've got the "kill 3 different ways" one)

Sigh

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Funniest Alexis kill so far:

Using Nexus to link him to mr. Protein shakes... Moments before said guy got dropped in the grinder.

Rest in pieces, buddy

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Nexus is my favorite power because it makes for the absolute best kills

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Honestly though, the more i'm playing this game, the more it's a 6/10, 7/10 for me.

Like when it's running well, it's really good!

But between janky power/trinket balance (hands up, how many of you actually ever took shift off your bar once you had it?), the fact that there's a single path for perfecting things... It's hard to say the game hits all the potential it could. Even just the way the areas work out - Updamn is a great example, with two fairly big subsections that you cant access outside of their exact time period. Or the fact that your actual ability to manipulate what goes on in the world is pretty aggressively limited to same zone stuff, while the game incentives you to... visit other areas. Or just the way you end up flooded with trinkets to try and sort through with zero orginzation - i'm pretty sure i'm not hte only person who's just given up paying attention to them having found and infused a set i like.

And none of this is touching on the actual perfomance issues that pc folk are reporting, etcera. Mostly untouched by those, but i've had a good few crash to desktops and... come on! I expect those from the one-man dev indie game i alpha test, and they get fixed super fast, not from a AAA studio game.

Which is a crying shame, because the good bits (The voice acting, the actual feel of the powers, etc) are really good! But even comparing it to Prey (and it's intricately linked areas that made it feel like a real space), it's not hard to end up going "...so this is it?"

I hope whatever DLC we get lets us a: do mroe to manipulate events, groundhog day style - more ways to move Visonaries around the maps, more possible paths to victory. A fifth zone wouldnt go amiss either

Another good visionary kill: using Karnesis to send both lovebirds for a flying lesson, right into the side of a wall... and down into the icy drink.

Actually, brief rant here:

Havoc is a great example of the janky game design/game balance going on with Slabs. Theoretically, it's THE combat power, right? Damage buff, and you're invulnerable. while it's up! Except the invulranbilty works by draining your power as you get shot, making it worse and worse the more enemies you're fighting... and the damage buff exists in a game where most guns kill in one or two hits. This ontop of the game's structure in general favoring Sneaky McBastard, and not all in guns blazing.

Oh, and also? Nexus and Karnesis both exist! Which both do the job of being "Combat" powers better - NExus can be setup to health vamp for you, ontop of just the one kill chaining into many - it's not exactly hard to throw nexus into a group and then bean one with say the transforming slug shotty. Boom, there goes an army (it's always fun to wipe out the entire wolf room at alexis's party with a single shot thanks to it). Karnesis meanwhile is cheap, spammable, and flexible - it's often a one hit kill just by smashing people into walls or hurling them into the drink, it's got a suprsing amount of range, and it's zone upgrade easily lets you crowd control entire groups. And while Karnesis is fun, it's harder to justify vs the flexability of Nexus or Aether!

Oh! And shift exists too, which is also a great combat power, because weirdly enough mobility is pretty great in a predominantly stealth shooter. Whodathunk? Or Aether!

Trinkets are in a similar place - there's some fun ones in there, but in practice... you're probably never taking off double jump. Creeping death, likewise. Sprint speed makes you so fast. So... you end up with a slot to spare, and let's be real - it's probably going to end up on increasing your power bar, or it's recharge rate.

You just arent actually being asked to make interesting choices a lot of the time, and that's really frustrating to my inner game designer.

Also the lack of any shrink down power ala rat mode from Dishonored/Mimic from Prey is just criminal.

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    So when you you nexus some people and one of them dies in like a scripted manner such as getting killed by another NPC, do the other characters just not seem to care about the sudden dead bodies?

Nobody seemed to care when I killed Aleksis that way

Couscous on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The double jump trinket should have just been a thing that doesn't take up a slot.

The one time I replaced it with something else felt so wrong.