Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Sure! I just peeled, deseeded and cut the squash in half, then into slices, then tossed them in oil and salt and put them in the oven for 25ish minutes at 350. While they cooled down, I heated my oil to 350 too, made the batter, which is just cold club soda and flour with a bit of baking powder. Should be about the consistency of crepe batter or a smoothie, but go thicker if you like a thick layer of crunchiness.

First I pat the slices dry then roll them gently in a bowl of flour with some salt in it. Then, I find chopsticks are the tool of choice to swirl them through the batter then slowly put them in the oil. Careful to not let them stick to each other in that first few seconds. Fry them til they're crispy, and pull out to a paper towel covered plate. I'd then transfer that batch to a different plate while the next batch is frying so that they're not sitting on oily towel. Change out the towels as soon as there are no more dry spots to use, on that note.

There are tons of great ways you can go with the dipping sauce obvi, but tradionalish would be stock, soy sauce, mirin and sugar. It'd be hard to go wrong with chipotle mayo or bbq sauce either though, imho.. Or just straight up hot sauce.

Good luck, be careful with the hot oil! My safety tips would be to use a tall pot, filled to halfway at the most. And to remember not to use water to put out oil fires if it happens. I usually keep my big box of salt handy just in case for that. Sorry if I went into more detail than you need, I just wouldn't want someone randomly reading the recipe and trying it without knowing the basics.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Sure! I just peeled, deseeded and cut the squash in half, then into slices, then tossed them in oil and salt and put them in the oven for 25ish minutes at 350. While they cooled down, I heated my oil to 350 too, made the batter, which is just cold club soda and flour with a bit of baking powder. Should be about the consistency of crepe batter or a smoothie, but go thicker if you like a thick layer of crunchiness.

First I pat the slices dry then roll them gently in a bowl of flour with some salt in it. Then, I find chopsticks are the tool of choice to swirl them through the batter then slowly put them in the oil. Careful to not let them stick to each other in that first few seconds. Fry them til they're crispy, and pull out to a paper towel covered plate. I'd then transfer that batch to a different plate while the next batch is frying so that they're not sitting on oily towel. Change out the towels as soon as there are no more dry spots to use, on that note.

There are tons of great ways you can go with the dipping sauce obvi, but tradionalish would be stock, soy sauce, mirin and sugar. It'd be hard to go wrong with chipotle mayo or bbq sauce either though, imho.. Or just straight up hot sauce.

Good luck, be careful with the hot oil! My safety tips would be to use a tall pot, filled to halfway at the most. And to remember not to use water to put out oil fires if it happens. I usually keep my big box of salt handy just in case for that. Sorry if I went into more detail than you need, I just wouldn't want someone randomly reading the recipe and trying it without knowing the basics.

No this is great. Fry warnings should always be included. I have some good high wall cast iron pans that are perfect for this sort of thing, and a glass topped stove, which is nice. I've definitely had some close calls. I keep a big box of baking soda next to the stove when I'm frying.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So turns out the Friendsgiving is this upcoming weekend and we can't read dates right. So, I made 5 pounds of sous vied mashed potatoes for nothing. Except to eat. I did heavy cream, butter, and cream cheese in with them at 195 degrees for 2.5 hours. The potatoes were so creamy and rich. Like I wouldn't do this EVERYTIME I make mashed potatoes, but as a special occasion thing they are wonderful.

Now I think I'm gonna do the same with Sweet Potaotes for Thanksgiving itself.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've been asked to bring dessert to Thanksgiving this year so I'm gonna go traditional and do an apple crumble. Nice and autumnal and warming.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I on the other hand have decided to pivot from my usual caramel apple pie and do a new version of the super-rich chocolate bourbon pecan pie, but this time I'm going to add chili powder, black pepper, ground pasilla and maybe some urfa biber.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Oh fuck yeah I love me some Urfa Biber

Last year I did a Guiness chocolate cake with cream cheese icing and it was very well received but also an insanely rich thing to try and eat after a full Thanksgiving dinner. I figure the apple crumble will keep well and kind of works as a dinner option on the weekend all by itself.

tynic on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Last year I did a Guiness chocolate cake with cream cheese icing and it was very well received but also an insanely rich thing to try and eat after a full Thanksgiving dinner.

my god. did anyone have to go to hospital?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    looks like we're gonna possibly do a small gathering at someone else's house for thanksgiving this year, not sure what I'm gonna cook but they may demand I make the gravy

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Shorty wrote: »
    looks like we're gonna possibly do a small gathering at someone else's house for thanksgiving this year, not sure what I'm gonna cook but they may demand I make the gravy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYqIF2XkqKU ?

E: why yes I did listen to this song and cry for a sizable portion of last december, why

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Last night I made some broccolini as a side dish with dinner, but instead of boiling or steaming the broccolini I tried baking it. 18 minutes in a 200C oven with olive oil, salt and pepper.

It was a revelation. All the flavour stayed IN the vegetable instead of seeping out into the water, and all the little bulbs at the end of the stalks went crispy and salty. It was the closest I've ever seen a vegan food item get to replicating the sensation of eating a good piece of pork crackling.

This old fool has wasted his life.

Butler on
  • Options
    Charring broccolini on the grill is a good time.

• Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    Yes, boiling broccoli just makes it really sad, better to steam it if you want the soft texture, or fry it in oil if you want the more nutty/charred flavor.

Same goes for brussel sprouts and asparagus, incidentally.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t quite go that far, but I think in general, people always turn to over boil vegetables.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    What could possibly go wrong with boiling vegetables for 1000 hours, Blake.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I mean it’s what’s most of Australia did in the fifties.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Air frying broccoli, broccolini, or brussels sprouts has become my "I need some delicious veggies" passion this past year. Tossed in oil, seasoned liberally with some Everything But The Bagel seasoning... fuck a side, I could make that shit dinner.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »

"Fuckin' white people" is absolutely my knee jerk whenever I hear someone boiled a thing, sure.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "I boiled ye a cake."

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Some olive oil and Parmesan cheese is very tasty on baked broccoli.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I am not a fan of broccoli. I love asparagus and brussel sprouts. So, tossing some oil with garlic and other seasonings, blitz well, combine with broccoli, toss to coat, and roast. Now I enjoy broccoli!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    What could possibly go wrong with boiling vegetables for 1000 hours, Blake.

Nothing! If you're making soup.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    When one of my friends was visiting her future mother in law the dear lady* said to her, and I quote, "[son] told me you loved broccoli so I prepared some for dinner!"
    A few beats later, a pile of stringy brown green sludge is presented along with the exhortation, "try it, it's really melt in your mouth!"

*(not white, but not from a country where brassica is a large part of the national cuisine, and apparently not a natural cook)

• Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    sarukun wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

"Fuckin' white people" is absolutely my knee jerk whenever I hear someone boiled a thing, sure.

Also boomers were taught by their parents to boil everything to shit in order to not... uh... die of the shits. Later generations have enjoyed better food health and safety regulations so I guess we don't need to boil everything down into a tasteless mush in order to not die. And we have spices other than salt and pepper too, so yeah things are better now.

Grudge on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Salt and pepper are pretty nice spices though, especially a good peppercorn blend.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    our pepper grinder has settings and I use it on course because you definitely get a deeper flavor from it, it's not just a weird quirk of mine okay

my family always use it on fine and I'm like "Philistines".

• Options
    coarse grind is the winner you are correct

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The little pepper mill I use has an uneven grind and I kinda love it. Sometimes I get chunks that are like half a peppercorn.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I cannot remember the last time I had pre-gound/shaker black pepper in my life. All fresh cracked all the time!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i've had this conversation a lot but ever since we started just tossing every veggie in oil and seasoning and putting them in the oven it's been a drastic increase in the amount of veggies we eat. the list is very short and usually for specific purposes like stir fry or something for veggies i make outside of that

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Quick question, Cooking thread: I want to make a slow cooker pot roast while I'm at work, but my shift starts super early and I don't want to be chopping vegetables and searing meat at 2 in the morning.

So, how much of this pot roast (beef, Yukon gold potatoes, carrots, and onion) can I safely prepare the night before and refrigerate before cooking it?

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Don't do the potatoes because they oxidize and turn brown. Still technically fine to eat, but they look ugly.

Edit: I'd would probably still do the sear during the morning (or personally be too tired and skip the sear entirely). Everything else is fine to meal prep beforehand

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Crackers.
    9gd86u8b2bwo.jpg

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Don't do the potatoes because they oxidize and turn brown. Still technically fine to eat, but they look ugly.

Edit: I'd would probably still do the sear during the morning (or personally be too tired and skip the sear entirely). Everything else is fine to meal prep beforehand

Cool. I've got baby Yukon's, so I'm just leaving them whole. It's the chopped onions I was wondering about.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    The crackers became peanut butter sandwiches.
    p8lc49p1vf5g.jpg

Then those peanut butter sandwiches got covered in chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt flakes!
    4hf0u6dna870.jpg

Now they're all in the freezer, who knows what might happen to them tomorrow!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    CONSUMPTION

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Ideally, yes

• Options
    haaaaaa those look amazing. you wingin it or is that a recipe you'd made before?

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Tonkka wrote: »
    The crackers became peanut butter sandwiches.
    p8lc49p1vf5g.jpg

Then those peanut butter sandwiches got covered in chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt flakes!
    4hf0u6dna870.jpg

Now they're all in the freezer, who knows what might happen to them tomorrow!

That escalated quickly.

• Options
    How do the British make their gravy.

How is it see through?

• Options
    Maybe it's like a thickened consommé?

RUVCwyu.jpg
This discussion has been closed.