Options

Black Lives Matter

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Well, to be fair, he's also already been found guilty of murder. This is just...more stuff.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    murder is a state criminal issue unless one of a few specific criteria are met, which this case does not
    federal murder charges are only brought when victim is an elected or appointed federal government official, federal law enforcement official, federal judge, the family of one of those, if the killing was possibly meant to influence the outcome of a federal court case, if it occurred on federal property or on a ship at sea and thus outside of the jurisdiction of the states, or for some reason if the killing is committed in the course of a bank robbery.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I mean if we started charging cops for murder we'd be here all day.

I just so happen to have all day

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I mean if we started charging cops for murder we'd be here all day.

I just so happen to have all day

Yeah I have plans today but none of them are better time spent than this.

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Midnite on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Weirdly they're arguing if she can continue being out on bail. Like, she was just convicted???

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    Weirdly they're arguing if she can continue being out on bail. Like, she was just convicted???

Yes, but you have to understand....she's a cop.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

This is a result of our fun tiered judicial system. If you are in a favored class you get to go get your affairs in order while preparing to go to prison, and can even delay going for months. If you are not then fuck you and whatever else you have going on in your life. You go straight to prison. Figure out what to do about all your shit by paying $15 a minute for phone service.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I mean hell we've got people under house arrest for January 6 that are being permitted to travel for the holidays.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

This is a result of our fun tiered judicial system. If you are in a favored class you get to go get your affairs in order while preparing to go to prison, and can even delay going for months. If you are not then fuck you and whatever else you have going on in your life. You go straight to prison. Figure out what to do about all your shit by paying $15 a minute for phone service.

Not to mention that you've already spent months in jail awaiting trial because you can't afford bail. You know, while you were still being presumed innocent but being pressured to enter a guilty plea because it's faster.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

As far as I can tell that's an entire police department that needs to be charged with obstruction of justice, given the maximum sentence, and fired. It appears they've successfully destroyed any chance of actually charging the officers responsible.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/02/africa/desmond-tutu-aquamation-intl/index.html

It's always striking when top tier famous people walk the walk

I'd heard of flameless cremations, but never knew the actual process. Quite interesting.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Sentencing in the Ahmaud Arbery case is happening now.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/07/1070618256/ahmaud-arbery-killers-sentence

For reference, he’s the one who was going for a jog when some fucknuggets decided to follow him in their trucks and videotape themselves executing him.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Sentencing in the Ahmad Arbery case is happening now.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/07/1070618256/ahmaud-arbery-killers-sentence

For reference, he’s the one who was going for a jog when some fucknuggets decided to follow him in their trucks and videotape themselves executing him.

And had multiple DA's refuse to prosecute the case until one of said fucknuggets posted his cellphone footage of the tracking/killing (on advise of counsel no less) and the people of Georgia made a big enough stink that they couldn't sweep it back under the rug.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Sentencing in on all three.

Sentencing by counts; "vacated" means, as I understand it, that being guilty of and sentenced for count 1 means that you're not on the hook for anything else for count 2, but if they were not guilty of count 1 then count 2's sentence would apply.

Travis McMichael: Prosecutors asked for life without parole; sentencing by count:
    • Count 1: Life without parole
    • Count 2: Vacated
    • Count 3: Vacated
    • Count 4: Vacated
    • Count 5: Vacated
    • Count 6: Merged with Count 1
    • Count 7: 20 years, consecutive to Count 1
    • Count 8: Merged with Count 1
    • Count 9: 5 years, concurrent with Count 7
    • Result: LIFE without parole + 20 years

Greg McMichael: Prosecutors asked for life without parole; sentencing by count:
    • Count 1: Not guilty
    • Count 2: Life without parole
    • Count 6: Merged with Count 2
    • Count 8: 10 years, concurrent with Count 7

William "Roddie" Bryan: Prosecutors asked for life with possibility of parole; sentencing by count:
    • Count 2: Not guilty
    • Count 3: Life with possibility of parole
    • Count 6: Not guilty
    • Count 7: Merged with Count 3
    • Count 8: 10 years, consecutive with Count 3 (suspended)
    • Count 9: 5 years, concurrent with Count 8 (suspended)
    • Result: LIFE with parole + 10 years (suspended)

The State asked for an additional condition for their sentencing, that the defendants not be allowed to make money through book deals, social media deals, consulting fees, speaking fees, etc. as a result of their crimes. They requested that any money made goes into a fund for the Arbery family. The judge asked for a formal submission from the State on exactly what that means. The defense lawyers claimed that it might interfere with defendants' ability to raise money to pay for appeals, and the judge said that he would make a decision once he saw the formal request from the State.

ED: Cleaned up.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    William "Roddie" Bryan: Prosecutors asked for life with possibility of parole;

IIRC, said possibility isn't on the table for almost 30 years.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Sentencing in on all three.

Sentencing by counts; "vacated" means, as I understand it, that being guilty of and sentenced for count 1 means that you're not on the hook for anything else for count 2, but if they were not guilty of count 1 then count 2's sentence would apply.

Travis McMichael: Prosecutors asked for life without parole; sentencing by count:
    • Count 1: Life without parole
    • Count 2: Vacated
    • Count 6: Merged with Count 1
    • Count 8: Merged with Count 1

Greg McMichael: Prosecutors asked for life without parole; sentencing by count:
    • Count 2: Life without parole
    • Count 6: Merged with Count 2
    • Count 8: 10 years, concurrent with Count 7

William "Roddie" Bryan: Prosecutors asked for life with possibility of parole; sentencing by count:
    • Count 2: Not guilty
    • Count 3: Life with possibility of parole
    • Count 6: Not guilty
    • Count 7: Merged with Count 3
    • Count 8: 10 years, consecutive with Count 3 (suspended)
    • Count 9: 5 years, concurrent with Count 8 (suspended)
    • Result: LIFE with parole + 10 years (suspended)

The State asked for an additional condition for their sentencing, that the defendants not be allowed to make money through book deals, social media deals, consulting fees, speaking fees, etc. as a result of their crimes. They requested that any money made goes into a fund for the Arbery family. The judge asked for a formal submission from the State on exactly what that means. The defense lawyers claimed that it might interfere with defendants' ability to raise money to pay for appeals, and the judge said that he would make a decision once he saw the formal request from the State.

ED: Cleaned up.

Damn, uh

This looks like a reasonable approximation of actual Justice.

Sucks it was pulling teeth to get us there, but.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    So I watched the news report in the link, thoroughly damning for Doug Cain (the cop pictured) and yet after two and a half minutes of proof Cain was indeed no angel, the reporter goes with this line "Cain fudged the truth" when he lied about why the victim was screaming. The video then cuts to the clip of the victim, Ronald Greene, screaming while being tasered.

It's a four and a half minute report, complete with actual footage, that absolutely paints this cop as the scumbag that he is, and yet they opt for "fudged the truth". No, he fucking lied. And it galls me that the news media will not say that

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Look, he didn’t kill him, he “allegedly maybe made a possible oopsie, from a certain point of view.”

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/video-cop-grabs-fellow-officer-by-her-throat_n_61e314f2e4b0c6802ee76c22

*inhales deeply*

The moment real life resembles an episode of Walker Texas ranger scene without the murder is jarring

Edit

40% https://imgur.com/gallery/ELHRzSp

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    This is more “cops getting away with stuff” than BLM so I’m just going to spoil the whole thing in case you don’t need even more examples of police corruption. But it’s local to me and I’m pissed.

So you’ve got
    - cop goes to a sheriff’s banquet/conference/whatever back in December
    - He drunk drives home instead of staying at the provided hotel room
    - Crashes his car after going 120mph
    - Blood alcohol is WAY drunk
    - As police arrive at the scene he says he wasn’t the one driving, having thrown his keys away from where he was laying after the crash
    - Later says “yeah, I was the one driving”
    - Doesn't have to go to jail
    - Gets to keep working
    - Isn’t stepping down from his job despite calls from various city officials that he should

:[

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Perrsun wrote: »
    This is more “cops getting away with stuff” than BLM so I’m just going to spoil the whole thing in case you don’t need even more examples of police corruption. But it’s local to me and I’m pissed.

So you’ve got
    - cop goes to a sheriff’s banquet/conference/whatever back in December
    - He drunk drives home instead of staying at the provided hotel room
    - Crashes his car after going 120mph
    - Blood alcohol is WAY drunk
    - As police arrive at the scene he says he wasn’t the one driving, having thrown his keys away from where he was laying after the crash
    - Later says “yeah, I was the one driving”
    - Doesn't have to go to jail
    - Gets to keep working
    - Isn’t stepping down from his job despite calls from various city officials that he should

:[

And the fucker was driving with 3 guns, one of which was in a holster on his person with a round in the chamber. This dumbshit needs recalled if possible or at least voted and thrown out on his ass come November and if it was up to me I'd void his 2A right as well.

It's so nice that the US relies so heavily on elected positions to "protect and serve".

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Before I opened the spoiler I thought it was going to be about that tiny Alabama town taken over by police speed traps and forfeitures

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

On the one hand, good that she won't be in that position of power to ruin people's lives any more.

On the other hand, if this is the extent of consequences she faces, you can't even begin to call it justice.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    it is so impossibly difficult basically anywhere in the world, but definitely in the states, to prove any sort of criminal action in terms of abuse of power for judges or prosecutors

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    wow that's so weird, that it's so hard!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Why would the people in power design a system where it's difficult to hold the people in power responsible for their actions?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    it is so impossibly difficult basically anywhere in the world, but definitely in the states, to prove any sort of criminal action in terms of abuse of power for judges or prosecutors
    Yeah, unless you can show they took money for being an asshole, they will just be asked to step down. And they'll get to keep practicing law in most cases.

Getting her out of the courtroom is a victory. We should be naming and shaming other piece of shit prosecutors and judges. But I only see the occasional discussion.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Why would the people in power design a system where it's difficult to hold the people in power responsible for their actions?

That doesn't sound very democratic to me

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

Redmond PD are notoriously shitty and should never, ever be called for any purpose relating to crisis or aid of average citizens. They routinely harass anyone not driving a Tesla or German sports car (Redmond is the headquarters of Microsoft and thus has a lot of rich residents) for the simple crime of being a pedestrian or "jaywalking" on a skateboard.

They're a horrible agency in a state full of horrible agencies (Seattle PD is right next door! They'll kill pregnant Black women and face no consequences for it!) and are allowed to continue being awful by virtue of the fact that the richer citizens of Redmond like the fact that they brutalize everyone but them. My guess is they're going to get away with killing this woman, no charges will be filed, and the city will have to either settle out of court or eat a large judgement against them if/when this comes to trial. Fuck Redmond PD. Fuck all cops. Fuck the thin blue line.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Sorta got a "let them eat cake" vibe going on there.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Infantino is an irredeemable garbage person.

He's only spouting this shit because he isn't getting his own way with his selfish, money hungry World Cup plan.

He doesn't actually give a fuck about Africans dying in the Mediterranean.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    A reminder that the upcoming World Cup in Qatar this year will be played in facilities built by actual slaves. FIFA knew this and never gave a shit.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Today, Gianni decides to keep on talking.

There's more shite in the thread

This discussion has been closed.