As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Haven't watched it yet (ed: watched it now, good translation chatting rather than explicitly about Souls), but Alanah Pierce put out a video talking with Dark Souls translators.

"talking to DARK SOULS' english writers (FromSoft x Frognation translators) | Video Game Writing 101"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVEI4a7FTGo

Qanamil on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    "I really just started this NG+ run to check it out, not really to play right now" he says as he wipes Lady Butterfly's NG+ blood from his katana.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    My first run of Sekiro was, oh, 30-40 hours? My second run was less than ten hours. My third run was less than four.

Once you've got the muscle memory down, Wolf is a death god. One-shotting Saint Isshin was so, so sweet.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    It's also fun to discover how the tools that weren't available in your first run work on different enemies.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    A friend sent me a message that a firelink npc wouldn’t stop attacking him and I had a chuckle

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Wow okay… I just started New Game plus on Dark Souls Remastered, and having a +5 black Knight greatsword really trivializes the early game. I killed the Taurus Demon with a plunging attack and one hit.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Does anyone have confirmation on if the network stuff was fixed?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    They are leaving the network stuff on for elden ring AFAIK so that's the confirmation

It's still off for the other games I think?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Mal posted this in Steam chat. I guess it's fixed for Elden Ring and not for other titles yet.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    As someone currently playing the dark souls remaster, I can confirm its offline only at the moment

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Random today thought: I wish there was a way to go back to a boss arena in the Souls games and fight the boss again. Like, an artifact of the boss still sitting on the ground and you could interact with it and replay the boss fight as many times as you want, though you wouldn't get the souls or rewards for fighting them after the first time.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Random today thought: I wish there was a way to go back to a boss arena in the Souls games and fight the boss again. Like, an artifact of the boss still sitting on the ground and you could interact with it and replay the boss fight as many times as you want, though you wouldn't get the souls or rewards for fighting them after the first time.

Sekiro had Reflections of Strength, so I don't see why they wouldn't do something similar.

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular

Sekiro had Reflections of Strength, so I don't see why they wouldn't do something similar.

God I wish Elden Ring has a Reflections of Strength equivalent

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Hachface wrote: »

Isn't that what the Bell Towers do?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

This is in the DS3 Convergence mod.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Orphan of Kos can suck my ding dong.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

what bell towers?

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

what bell towers?

the big bongers
    fqfm1dyia1ab.jpg

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Thats a huge ding dong

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    No, the bing bongs just let you duplicate a boss soul, so you can get both rewards

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    So I came home from an evening event absolutely exhausted and with a slight buzz, and before going to bed I thought I'd try beating Orphan of Kos once or twice. And naturally, I beat him on my first try last night after losing to him probably 50 times the last few days.

Funny how stepping away from a frustrating Soulsborne boss for a while and resetting reflexes can help you beat it.

Now onto Laurence...

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Picked up Bloodborne again over lunch again today. Decided to pass on Laurence, and ripped through Mergo's Wet Nurse, Gerhman and Moon Presence all in one life. Zooming out and looking at the experience as a whole, I totally get why people say there's no real reason for a "Bloodborne 2." I could see there maybe being more Great Ones out there that are doing nefarious things elsewhere, or another one of their crypts gets discovered which screws up another city in different ways, but I think it's perfectly fine to let this game stand on its own.

Now I would definitely play a 4K/60 FPS remaster, so holding out hope for that.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    As much as I love Elden Ring and Sekiro, and before that the Dark Souls trilogy, I still think Bloodborne is the closest From has come to perfection. I'm kind of glad they are just letting it stand alone as an achievement.

That said I would also eat a PS5 controller for a 4K/60 patch. Doesn't even need to be a remaster, just a patch, or a PS5 re-release with a reasonable upgrade cost (10 bucks).

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I would club anyone the From Soft chooses for a 4k/60 patch or even re-release.

• Options
    I think the main reason my opinion on Bloodborne is so divergent from a lot of other FromSoft fans is that while you can have an "arcane" build, there's not really an effective way to just back all the way up and attack from far away forever. Like, eventually, the game feels like it downright expects you to perfect the melee play, and things just happen too fast up close for me to catch when to get out of the way, and when to attack, etc, so I find the entire game up to where I've gotten to be less than amenable to my style of play.

I think that Elden Ring has given me the most options to play "my way", with included spirit ashes and special moves I can put on my chosen weapons and all sorts of other things. It's not like I never walk up and whack something, or attack something from behind, but more than likely I'm wielding a wand and firing away from afar. I kind of wish there were more spells like the Ambush Shard, because I like to shoot the shield guys in the back like "yes, I know, but I'm a mage so that shield means nothing". If I can have a group of wolves or a jellyfish tank my targets while I shoot magic at them, or even pick off targets one at a time from afar, I'm going to be much happier. Bloodborne's story is more unique (again, up to where I've played, that swamp forest with the three dude boss that's also a bunch of snakes?), but I have to make it through the gauntlet to get the story and . . . it's not easy to cheese. Hell, I summoned in Rogier and three wolves and killed Margit first try because he was so focused on the other targets that he rarely even got close to me. That's my ideal situation.

This is also why the Crucible Knight fight is going to be a serious pain in the ass.

• Options
    You can back away and ranged combat (almost) everything in Bloodborne if you really want to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5KpVt9t_kI

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    yeah the ranged options in bloodborne (while it takes some time to get to them, you can't start the game firing arcane missiles or using simon's bow) work for the most part, they fall apart in the highest NG+ cycles for certain bosses you just won't have the damage to kill without running out of blood bullets even with blood tap.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Bloodborne makes me sad because I don’t have access to a playstation anymore.

• Options
    After two months of post Elden Ring hang over, I'm back to working on my NG+ run of Sekiro. Coming back to this from Elden Ring really reinforces how tight the combat loop is in Sekiro.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Running through ds3, lothric and lorian driving me nuts here.

I can get through the first phase but the homing missiles get me in like 5 seconds. Edit: got their asses.

Edit: also agreed that Sekiro has a tigher and honestly more well developed and better playing combat system.

Dark souls and elden ring are ultimately Punch Out!. Your enemy (and I am mostly talking bosses)winds up with some attack, you respond appropriately with a dodge (or parry in some cases), you get a punish window (maybe), and you hit back in that window. There is generally little room for nonreactive offense (in melee at least).

Sekiro is totally beyond that. You’ve got a much more robust defensive set, but also you can (and should) bring offense into play. In fact if you don’t do offense against many bosses you’re probably never going to win because you just won’t break their posture. So you’ve basically gone from Punch Out to Street Fighter 2 in the complexity level. It feels a lot better to me and I was a bit sad that elden ring combat wasn’t more like Sekiro, but I know they were focusing in a different direction there.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    One of my biggest "ah hah" moments in Sekiro was realizing that the reason all the defensive tools are so strong is because actually you should be defensive as little as possible. Aggression wins most fights. There are a couple of encounters specifically built to subvert that but for the most part the more aggressive you are the "easier" fights become.

• Options
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the vertical painting of the world doing the same thing of laying it all out.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    That's what I've been saying.

Weird West Soulslike would be killer.

• Options
    Well they already remade Nightmare Creatures, why not Darkwatch next?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Kamar wrote: »

- Central Hub, one-horse-town where you collect NPCs, including: a grizzled and mysterious immigrant blacksmith searching for his abducted family (which ends poorly), a blind school marm who helps level you up (and eventually loses her mind), a (at-first) kindly preacher, who gradually become a boss level threat if you assist him in spreading his gospel...

- Only Six-Shooters Magic builds/ Great Hunting Axe+ Shotgun basic builds/Two Handed Mining Pick/John-Henry Hammer Heavy-Brawler Big Bois/ Twin Bowie-Knives Dex-Cannibal-build/Only-Rifles, etc etc)

- Machine-Cult Railroad "Enthusiasts"/ "Way of the Gun" Cultists/ "Actually, the Colonizers need to fucking leave and now" factions

- At one point, a "Pistols-at-Dawn" boss fight with a rival in the center of a tumbleweed town bottlenecks your whole experience and becomes the best/worst part of the game

- Snake Oil Salesman Patches, who at one point "unintentionally" sends you into a trapped pit of Graboids from "Tremors" in the middle of the desert and laughs at you about it later

mrpaku on
  • Options
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »

- Central Hub, one-horse-town where you collect NPCs, including: a grizzled and mysterious immigrant blacksmith searching for his abducted family (which ends poorly), a blind school marm who helps level you up (and eventually loses her mind), a (at-first) kindly preacher, who gradually become a boss level threat if you assist him in spreading his gospel...

- Only Six-Shooters Magic builds/ Great Hunting Axe+ Shotgun basic builds/Two Handed Mining Pick/John-Henry Hammer Heavy-Brawler Big Bois/ Twin Bowie-Knives Dex-Cannibal-build/Only-Rifles, etc etc)

- Machine-Cult Railroad "Enthusiasts"/ "Way of the Gun" Cultists/ "Actually, the Colonizers need to fucking leave and now" factions

- At one point, a "Pistols-at-Dawn" boss fight with a rival in the center of a tumbleweed town bottlenecks your whole experience and becomes the best/worst part of the game

- Snake Oil Salesman Patches, who at one point "unintentionally" sends you into a trapped pit of Graboids from "Tremors" in the middle of the desert and laughs at you about it later

The bolded is a gimmick boss fight that starkly divides the fanbase on if it's brilliant or crap. Which it happens to be both.

Also, I'm not going to say I'm mad that this isn't already in production, but . . .

This discussion has been closed.