As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC D&D 5E:] Crew of the Whispered Curse

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I feel like Oak is too angry to make a good check, so I'm not even going to try and roll one.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I think Urixes is going to kill him either way, buuuuuut

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Charisma Check

Charisma Check:
    1d20+4 9 [1d20=5]

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Perception

Feels like an Insight roll, but I'm not complaining, Jack's terrible at those. ;)

Perception:
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    I think Urixes is going to kill him either way, buuuuuut

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Charisma Check
    If he's Iqium himself, or secretly Iqium's evil twin or something seems like it could be a coin toss. To the Tiefling's memory, this is the exact same smug, power-hungry man he'd known back then, made simply desperate and mad by whatever fate had dragged him from reality and into the mirrors (or maybe, he's simply lying about all that, too...)

Even before his eventual reveal as the traitor of your former crew, Iqium the Sorcerer was known as a double-talking, secret dealing snake-in-the-grass that even Rax the Rascal didn't do business/play cards with due to his selfish and self-serving nature. Something tells Urixes that, whatever else he may have learned of the "Truth" in the last thirty odd years, forced isolation and being trapped in an alternate dimension hasn't improved the Sorcerer's personal character any. Is his potential depth of knowledge worth trying to keep yet another snake in the grass aboard the Ship and be forced to watch over them...?
    Glal wrote: »
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Perception

Feels like an Insight roll, but I'm not complaining, Jack's terrible at those. ;)
    The man's hands fold over in his lap and he begins to stare around whenever he's lying or threatening beyond his ability, like a unconscious tic. His breathing also slows back to normal, and you can feel his heartbeat return to a normal rythm through the back of his robe and onto your chest. This tells Jack the following:

- He's telling a half-truth about not being the Traitor involved with the Witch

- He's telling the truth about just wanting to help and find his way back. Although, he's definitely lying about not wanting to hurt anyone

- He at least seems to believe he's telling the truth about Oak damning the Ship. He's definitely telling the truth about "Her" getting here soon

- He's telling a half-truth about injuring Fusspot, although you're not sure which part he's lying about, exactly...

- He is definitely telling the truth about believing killing him would be a mistake for you all and this Ship

Perception:
    1d20+4 9 [1d20=5]

• Options
    mrpaku throws a book's worth of adventuring into the bin and begins anew.

• Options
    mrpaku throws a book's worth of adventuring into the bin and begins anew.

Friggin' again, like the sinkhole in Villam woods, or killing the Little Witch, or.... :D

...or do we?

@Denada , the former traitor to your crew Iqium the Sorcerer is now held prone between Meepo and Jack. He's so convinced of his weaselly words to the Wild Bunch, he doesn't even expect violence How do you choose to finish him?

• Options
    Everyone: Arcana or Insight. This one's gonna be messy

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Insight

Insight:
    1d20+3 22 [1d20=19]

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Arcana Check

Arcana Check:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Insight

Clean up on isle 4, clean up on isle 4.

Insight:
    1d20+1 2 [1d20=1]

• Options
    If Jack survives long enough to figure out and form a relationship.
    8971ga8sy9rm.jpg

• Options
    Hey everyone, thanks as always for your patience! Coming in on the home stretch of my cross-country move and roughly a million other things at the same time (wife's bday, getting the kids registered for new schools, wrapping up final personal stuff out here). Feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all and don't want to push out shoddy quality work, so I was thinking: how about we take a bit of a breather here? I'll get a writing break and should be able to focus on all my real life stuff (and then, should be super eager to finish up some charts and maps once I arrive at my new place and won't have to worry about them getting lost/destroyed), you all can get a break from a game you've been heroically playing over a year, and when we all start up again it'll be fresh and onto the next section (in the next update I'll wrap about the Sorcerer's execution and tie it into your arrival at the Abbott of the Eternal). Let's say...June 6th, just to give me more than enough time. At which point, I'll drop a big post, including a map of the next island and briefly introduction to the Abbey. That sound good to everybody?

• Options
    I'm fine with a break. You've been leading this for a year plus now, feels fair. Not like there is a ton of work on our end :smiley:

• Options
    I'll be gone for a few days next week, so that actually fits my schedule perfectly also. Recuperate! <3

• Options
    Hey Wild Bunch! Finished up the giant move, fully unpacked, discovered all my Twilight Expanse notes and tables, pulled out my laptop last night...and the charge cable was somehow packed elsewhere! A new cable has been ordered, and should arrive in the next several days. In the meanwhile, here's the teaser for our next big update- use this time to speculate out of character about what happens next/plan out your spa days at the Abbott as you like!

03ecq2zyx62b.png

wadhcdd1wyeq.png

srmpwxpyh8im.png

xmzrkdr5oomo.png

5kgta3xxdjtf.png

66seq6yh7h7w.png

oqhe9mzr7r2n.png

usqg7yp6zns3.png

fyon2mts1l6l.png

ylsqxp8yu0kl.png

5x9oe33mzbme.png

6d4d5z0d4oyo.png

• Options
    We're finally visiting Midsommar, yay!

• Options
    There are so many things there, and lots of them important looking.

But I can't help but picture Jack running around the maypole. Like...that's mostly what he does the whole time.

"Jack, we need to go talk to the Monks."
    "Sorry, busy. You go ahead."

"Jack, they have a ritual that they need us to participate in to open a portal."
    "I'm swamped right now with something."

"Jack, the portal is open but swarms of monsters are streaming out."
    "Tell them to come back later, I got this maypole thing to attend to."

• Options
    We're finally visiting Midsommar, yay!

zaa92ib5hmqg.png

• Options
    Well someone has to help usher in Summer, sheesh...

• Options
    I think this all looks totally fine and not at all foreboding. Just gonna be a nice relaxing spa weekend with nothing sinister going on just beneath the surface :smiley:

• Options
    @AustinP0027 - Please make a Perception Check to pick out key features upon the island!

@Glal - Please make a Nature Check to survey the waters, flora, and fauna around the island!

@Denada - Please make a History or Religion Check to see what your can glean from the island’s unique layout!

Welcome back, Wild Bunch! B)

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Perception

Perception:
    1d20+3 15 [1d20=12]

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Nature

Nature:
    1d20 5 [1d20=5]

Glal on
  • Options
    Oak:
    sysz0aifa6nm.jpg
    1. Dilapidated Fishing Village (the eastern approach mentioned by Calthus). Hanging precariously over a cliff, but some of those lines look sturdy enough to dock upon. The village itself appears completely abandoned

2. Small Boathouse (the western approach mentioned by Calthus). Situated near the Abbott. In a highly isolated spot, past the jagged rocks. Looks to be in working order

3. The massive temple-looking building must be the Abbott of the Eternal proper. It dominates the western end of the island, sitting on a hill overlooking the water

4. What looks to be several hundred very steep stone steps leading up from the back Abbott towards the peak of the island

5. An overgrown and treacherous looking forest on a steep incline, covering most of the eastern slope of the island between the Fishing Village and the peak

6. An assemblage of tents, lean-tos, and simple wooden structure that seems to suggest some sort of temporary gathering place

7. The peak of the island, coming to at a strange looking hill strewn with large, plinth like stones. A small pillar of smoke rises from somewhere up here

8. A clusters of unnatural looking rocks which seem to grow out from the waters beneath the island. Look about as sharp and dangerous as coral; best to be avoided

Jack:
    - That curve shape to the landmass is rather bizarre. You imagine the eastern end of the island doesn’t get much sunlight, and the western probably too much

- The rocks which grow out from the waters beneath the island don’t look…right. Like they weren’t native to this place. They look incredibly sharp, too, and would likely make quick work of the Ship’s hull

- Everything is way too quiet. Other than the occasional chirping bird, no sounds seem to come from the island. You feel like you're being watched, but you're not sure if it's a legitimate insight, or just paranoia

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for History Check

Also Hex will be back in his usual albatross form now.

History Check:
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]

• Options
    Urixes:
    The disparity between where the Fishing Village lies to the East (baked by the sun amongst overgrown foliage; cracked and dilapidated beyond liveability; long neglected and possibly abandoned) and where the Abbott sits to the West (in the gentle shade of the island's curl; pocked by prayer stones and piles of offerings; foliage well-kept and the infrastructure maintained; access trails and clear crystal pools) tells Urixes a too-familiar tale of Haves and Have Nots.

There is some sort of caste system at work suggested in the architecture here, with Commoners of the Village serving/worshipping/deferring to whoever maintains the Abbott

• Options
    Jack: The Captain has set you to begin learning the Wheel from Derbin Brightbeard, beginning under fraught circumstances as he guides the Ship past dangerous looking rocks. Please roll Insight or Survival to start learning how to handle large Ships from the little Dwarf, and roll Stealth to see if you can do it without alerting/disturbing the other members of the crew!

Once close enough (but not too close), you’ll all drop in by Longboat and row over to the Boathouse. Meepo the Kobold will be joining you. Between Oak and Urixes, I’ll need two rolls: the first (either Acrobatics or Nature, depending on if you’re concerned with getting there quickly or safely, respectively) to get to the ropes dangling from the Boathouse. Upon your arrival, you’ll see a shadowy figure within. Whoever didn’t make the previous roll to guide the boat over, please roll any-style of Charisma check to get the figure’s attention, and possibly their assistance…

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Learnin'!
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Keepin' outta sight!

[edit] Someone's motivated!

Learnin'!:
    1d20+4 23 [1d20=19]
    Keepin' outta sight!:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]

Glal on
  • Options
    Thankfully both skills have the same plusses, so that makes my wanting to get there safely not become a problem.

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Nature

Nature:
    1d20+2 20 [1d20=18]

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Jack:

- Your quick skill at learning the piloting of the Ship has saved you all a nasty HULL incident from the sharp stones!
    - Your expert stealth has kept the lesson hidden from prying eyes and gossips among the crew, avoiding a bad hit to MORALE!
    - Derbin Brightbeard now trusts your nautical abilities! He may call on you in the future (under more normal circumstances) to begin Piloting the Ship proper, publicly and openly!

Oak:

- You've avoided a similar outcropping of the sharp stone as you row in on the Longboat, avoiding a possible tear to the underside of the Longboat!
    - You've managed to steer around and avoid disturbing a colony of strange looking, translucent sea mites, likely dodging the potential for disease and damage among the Wild Bunch!
    - Oak has noticed that the Longboat is beginning to dissolve, structurally. It's hard to tell unless you're really paying attention, but there's something polluting the waters around here: a coppery, sulfurous tinge to the seas that is insidiously and subtly corrosive

mrpaku on
  • Options
    As much as I want the extra +3 from Intimidation, I don't want to start things off on the wrong foot.

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Persuasion Check

Persuasion Check:
    1d20+4 18 [1d20=14]

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Wild Bunch:

Two of the chains need to be unhooked and secured beneath the Longboat. One person may choose to take care of both, or two people may choose to split the task. For each chain you unhook, place make a Constitution Check (DC-15). Should two or more of you decide so, Meepo can be utilized in situations such as this!

Everyone who wishes to respond to Gil the Fish Man, please do so while making a Charisma Check loosely structured like so:

-Persuasion= You agree wholeheartedly with his diagnosis and would like to know more/subscribe to his newsletter

-Intimidation= You’re not impressed with this guy’s Med School act and want to skip to the part where they can help the Queen/crew of The Curse

-Deception= You totally know what’s going on here at the Abbott, bro, that’s why you’re even here! Don’t worry, you’re not like, a cop or something- you’re cool!

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Jack has a CON bonus of +4, how's Oak at it?

• Options
    Oak has +6

• Options
    The fish guy mentioned poison, which Oak is resistant to, so Oak is just going to jump in and do them both (even though it's not necessarily the smartest idea).

Geth, roll 1d20+6 for CON Save 1
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for CON Save 2

CON Save 1:
    1d20+6 17 [1d20=11]
    CON Save 2:
    1d20+6 16 [1d20=10]

• Options
    Oak:

The water was lukewarm, and a touch warmer than the untouched oceans from a mile out. The taint within was subtle, but clearly apparent once you had a full mouth and faceful of the stuff: sulfur, foul vapors, and something else...fetid, like an outhouse long abandoned. You pull yourself from the water feeling as though you are coated in an invisible slime which won't ever come off... but Oak being the absolute-Tank he is, manages to clean the slime from his arms...move onward and forward...

• Options
    I know i rolled intimidation, but it's more of "just the facts" type approach versus wanting to talk about all their own personal problems.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Jack/Oak: Is splitting the party, with ([Jack+ possibly Urixes] going to retrieve the Queen of Chaff from the Ship, returning with simply themselves or possibly the entire Whispered Curse in tow), while, ([Oak and Meepo] proceed onto the island, towards the Abbott nearby and in search of the High Priestess from whom to seek healing) something you're all on board with? Do you attempt to argue with or bribe the fish man?

mrpaku on