Options

You're [History], Like A Beat Up Car

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I might be awful, but I find it deeply hilarious that the dude invented a cracker to compliment a non-pleasurable lifestyle and it's probably most well known for being used in a dessert/sweet treat.

• Options
    CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    Beware the French Tacos though… https://youtu.be/NbuLxzwpW24

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    I might be awful, but I find it deeply hilarious that the dude invented a cracker to compliment a non-pleasurable lifestyle and it's probably most well known for being used in a dessert/sweet treat.

Kinda like that time the nazis tried to find a better way to kill everyone on earth, but accidentally started the Green Revolution and rapidly increased the world's population instead.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haber_process

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Revolution

• Options
    Also the British pronunciation of tAHKo is brutal to my ears

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    talk-oh

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

That is fair

Although I've heard pronunciations of croissant in the US that were a knife to the heart of France

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

That is fair

Although I've heard pronunciations of croissant in the US that were a knife to the heart of France

Isn't the whole reason y'all invented Worcestershire sauce to then laugh up your sleeves at the colonials trying to pronounce it?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Kinda like that time the nazis tried to find a better way to kill everyone on earth, but accidentally started the Green Revolution and rapidly increased the world's population instead.

While Haber is very much a tragic figure because of his involvement with the Imperial German chemical warfare operations (and if you were to call someone the "father of modern chemical warfare", Haber would definitely be a ranking candidate), he researched what became known as the Haber process because of the fertilizer crisis at the end of the nineteenth century (the same one that caused the US to pass a law claiming ownership of every unowned birdshit encrusted island around the world.)

That last part isn't a joke, by the way.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »

That is fair

Isn't the whole reason y'all invented Worcestershire sauce to then laugh up your sleeves at the colonials trying to pronounce it?

Tell me you haven't been to New England without saying you haven't been to New England.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

That last part isn't a joke, by the way.

Guano is still a highly desirable commodity. Peru's been making a fortune off their bat and birdshit covered islets, selling it for fertilizer and explosives/gunpowder for over 140 years.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

That is fair

Tell me you haven't been to New England without saying you haven't been to New England.

Your suspicion is correct! My family and I are planning on our next vacation being to see the U.S.S. Constitution to rectify that though! You know, and also history.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

That is fair

Your suspicion is correct! My family and I are planning on our next vacation being to see the U.S.S. Constitution to rectify that though! You know, and also history.

Pre-Covid, my uncle and I celebrated his birthday by visiting New York, and included in that trek was a visit to the Intrepid museum. It was a hell of an experience and while entirely tangential to the one you’re undertaking, it jogged my memory and I’d say it was well worth the time and money.

To be fair though, we snagged tours for a Concord, the carrier itself, and a few other exhibits (they had the space shuttle Enterprise onboard at the time, not sure if it’s still there, we also toured a ww2 era submarine), and due to some very lucky timing, were among the few (if only) folks on said tours at the time, so it was less “follow a gaggle of people around” and more of a personal guided experience.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Worcestersauce I just turn into Woostah sauce
    And then Sriracha becomes Roostah sauce.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

That is fair

Pre-Covid, my uncle and I celebrated his birthday by visiting New York, and included in that trek was a visit to the Intrepid museum. It was a hell of an experience and while entirely tangential to the one you’re undertaking, it jogged my memory and I’d say it was well worth the time and money.

To be fair though, we snagged tours for a Concord, the carrier itself, and a few other exhibits (they had the space shuttle Enterprise onboard at the time, not sure if it’s still there, we also toured a ww2 era submarine), and due to some very lucky timing, were among the few (if only) folks on said tours at the time, so it was less “follow a gaggle of people around” and more of a personal guided experience.

The submarine and Space Shuttle are there permanently.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I pronounce it like I picked what college to go to

“Wooster, sure”

• Options
    Out here in the mush-mouthed Intermountain West it's usually "worst-er-shy-er" but we also say "moun'ns" instead of "mountains" and "oh my heck" instead of real adult swear words so seriously don't listen to us we're terrible.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I just make random "wrosh-er" sounds and people always know what sauce I'm talking about.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Mad props to the thoroughly British dude who has a kid with someone with a “how to cook tacos” show on Food Network and still pronounces it pico de Gaul-O
    Mad props to the thoroughly British dude who has a kid with someone with a “how to cook tacos” show on Food Network and still pronounces it pico de Gaul-O

Pico de Gaulo is made with tiny bits of frenchmen, totally different thing

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Pico de Guy Fieri has to wear loud flaming shirts.

• Options
    Picto-o de Gaul-o is all Celtic food in the end

Folks,

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Give up all hope of finding a proper taco or s’more in England, though

S'mores you'd be able to find the ingredients in a large superstore near a US airbase. Tacos? Good luck.

Even when I said that, a Taco Bell opened where I live the friday before.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Pico de Gallia est omnis factus tribus rebus.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Pico de Gallia est omnis factus tribus rebus.

Romanes Eunt Domus

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

Cornflakes are frequently used in asian sundaes as a dessert, not considered a serious food in any way.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Well I mean they’re a really good way to add crunch. I use them as breading every once and a while when subbing panko

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Wait wait, are you saying it's Take-Os rather than Tak-Os? Or are we using an upper class accent (with a elongated 'a', Daarling).

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Like Jock, but with a T, not like Jack with a T

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Toccos? Sounds more Canadian than Spanish.
    [edit] On doing some research it seems even stranger, as we're not hearing the same sounds. An American hearing the Spanish vowel will hear it more like a vowel sound that's different to an what an English person would hear.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    While pico is certainly excellent, my favorite way to taco is to use fresh-pressed maseca tortillas with beef simmered in a touch of adobo sauce and spices then topped with a bit of cilantro and crumbles of cotija.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    While pico is certainly excellent, my favorite way to taco is to use fresh-pressed maseca tortillas with beef simmered in a touch of adobo sauce and spices then topped with a bit of cilantro and crumbles of cotija.

Dammit, now I’m hungry.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

So ... dinner at your place?

• Options
    I am making my tacos tonight, so while I cook, thread, you get a brief of the top of my head history of tortillas!

Okay, look, if you've ever only had store bought or fast food flour tortillas, you're missing out. Flour is fine and all, but tortillas have been around since before the introduction of wheat to the Americas.

Tlaxcalli were tortillas made by indigenous Mesoamericans from as early as 500 BCE. They're made from maize (corn) via a process called nixtalamization. The maize is treated with alkali, which removes the outer coating of the kernels and actually increases the nutritional content.

Ever had hominy? This is hominy.

Then, you take the hominy, cook it, and grind it into a flour, which is called maseca. When it's time to make tortillas, you add some water, make a dough, flatten it, and cook it! Super simple.

Just how omnipresent are maseca tortillas in Mexican food? Omnipresent. The tacos you get off the street vendor, which are the best you will ever have in your life, are maseca tortillas loaded with whatever. Enchiladas? Maseca tortilla, dipped in sauce, and fried or skilleted. You can fill them with whatever, but it's the sauce and the frying that makes it an enchilada. Tamales are maseca dough formed around whatever filling you want and steamed in a corn husk. You may notice a theme here.

Well that's all great R-Dem, but what if I want to try making maseca?

Well, if you're like me and are born and raised in the American Southwest, you have a rancho marcado or supermarcado Mexicano nearby. Most chains are carrying maseca these days too. Otherwise. I have no clue. Amazon? Just don't forget the tortilla press, and line that mofo with wax paper or plastic. Trust me on this.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Fun bonus fact. A large part of why people's teeth were so bad in the pre-industrial times has to do with how their grains were milled. I'm sure we're all used to seeing stone ground grains at the local grocery store. And I'm sure most of you are aware that stone grinding grain was pretty much the way it was done throughout most human history.

What a lot of people don't realize is just how bad stone grinding is for your teeth. Especially prior to the industrial revolution they just use big rocks. You know what happens when two big rocks rub together? You get sand and little bits of rock in whatever you are grinding. So imagine someone's entire life is spent chowing down on bread that was full of sand and little bits of rock. You know how unpleasant it is to bite down on a little piece of sinew when you are eating a big hunk of meat? Or how bad it is when you are enjoying a salad and a bit of sand came along for the ride? Well that is your entire life amped up to a hundred.

Most people's calories prior to the industrial revolution came from bread. So you're eating bread full of sand and slowly grinding your teeth down over the years. So if you were ever wondering why so many people had false teeth and why dental hygiene was so much worse it wasn't just because people didn't brush their teeth. I could actually make an entire post about how people brush their teeth prior to the industrial revolution. Their teeth were shit do in large part to assure amount of sand and rocks they were eating.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    That is one of those I never thought of that save it makes perfect sense now I've been told it.

Do you have any sources or the ilk? I'd love to read more on it!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    That is one of those I never thought of that save it makes perfect sense now I've been told it.

Do you have any sources or the ilk? I'd love to read more on it!

Most recently I watched a documentary series called Victorian Bakers. A group of modern bakery owners work 3 different historical bakeries from the early Victorian period to the late.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5505414/

The series is up on Youtube to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1s1K7ZKKzU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa8eWuGZzMc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIxrL-JKbzE

Otherwise, I've just picked it up from various sources over the years. Mostly from watching Youtube videos and diving down the Google rabbit hole to answer the rest of my questions.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Fun bonus fact. A large part of why people's teeth were so bad in the pre-industrial times has to do with how their grains were milled. I'm sure we're all used to seeing stone ground grains at the local grocery store. And I'm sure most of you are aware that stone grinding grain was pretty much the way it was done throughout most human history.

What a lot of people don't realize is just how bad stone grinding is for your teeth. Especially prior to the industrial revolution they just use big rocks. You know what happens when two big rocks rub together? You get sand and little bits of rock in whatever you are grinding. So imagine someone's entire life is spent chowing down on bread that was full of sand and little bits of rock. You know how unpleasant it is to bite down on a little piece of sinew when you are eating a big hunk of meat? Or how bad it is when you are enjoying a salad and a bit of sand came along for the ride? Well that is your entire life amped up to a hundred.

Most people's calories prior to the industrial revolution came from bread. So you're eating bread full of sand and slowly grinding your teeth down over the years. So if you were ever wondering why so many people had false teeth and why dental hygiene was so much worse it wasn't just because people didn't brush their teeth. I could actually make an entire post about how people brush their teeth prior to the industrial revolution. Their teeth were shit do in large part to assure amount of sand and rocks they were eating.

Please, do!

• Options
    Akilae wrote: »

Please, do!

Well, see, you had a special domesticated dinosaur with bristly-spines and you rubbed its back on your teeth while it gazed miserably at the camera and gave an exasperated line

• Options
    Akilae wrote: »

Please, do!

Going as far back as ancient babylon we have documented evidence of "chewing sticks." You would take a small length of reed, or a sapling. One end you would use a blade (often stone) press into the end, fraying it out. The other end was carved into a pick. Some plants made better chew sticks than others. If you were lucky you could find one that would actually kill bacteria and freshen your breath. The Tang Chinese were the first people to have documented use of bristled toothbrushes. They were basically tiny versions of hairbrushes of the time. The handles made from wood, bone, or ivory. The bristles typically made from boar hair.

Historically, toothpaste wasn't widely used until the industrial revolution. Early toothpastes were harsh and damaged teeth more than cleaning them. Common ingredients included ground hooves, eggshells, and pumice. A bit of water was added to make a thick paste to enhance the cleaning action of your chewstick. Early modern toothpaste was a homemade concoction often made from baking soda, charcoal and herbs.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Today, I would like to introduce you to the HMS E11, a british submarine that operated during WWI.

HMS_E11_off_the_Dardanelles.png

In May 1915, the E11 was sailing in the Mediterranean, sinking Turkish ships as they left Turkish ports. On the 27th of that month, near the coast with no ships in sight, they surfaced to give the men time to stretch their legs.

While surfaced, a Turkish cavalry unit rode out onto a cliff that overlooked the sea, and saw the sub. They opened fire with their rifles. As the only weapons the sub carried were torpedoes, they had to retreat.

That's how a submarine lost a battle to cavalry.

• Options
    Someone tell Mike Duncan there’s a new boat taken by cavalry