Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    MattyCakes wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Bit the bullet and bought a Quest 2 today. Hopefully it performs a little better than my CV1 Rift.

You're welcome to all of you waiting for the next Quest. Now that I just got the 2 that means they'll announce the 3 exactly 1 day after my return policy.

If you need any app referrals or $30 new user referral credit let me know

Go ahead and add yourself to the referral list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ui-RMuLTjiqdZeDRutjl3JeneH1jXTk02V0sSHQmi8I/edit#gid=0

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Should have used the referral for RE4 sorry guys.

First impressions on this thing are that it works wonderfully better than the CV1 I have! Not having to use cameras and it having that vision that lets you see through the goggles to set up your play area is really cool.

• Options
    Holy shit RE4 is incredible in VR.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Holy shit RE4 is incredible in VR.

RE4 is the only game I've bought from the Oculus/Meta Storefront (well, once that $10 off coupon came in).

It's an interesting experience, presumably the most radical reinterpretation of that particular game with the shift to first person. The constant switches to third person (cinematics, most kinds of world interaction, quick time events, etc.) is jarring but you get used to it after a while. Movement feels clumsy compared to other VR shooters, but considering you couldn't strafe-and-shoot in the original game, even that is much higher in agility than in the base game.

I've inevitably found myself comparing the gunplay to Boneworks and H3VR due to the arsenal. I really shouldn't be; it's basically functional, but that's it. I have mixed feelings about them changing the enemy count. They did have the good sense to use high-detail inventory and world models for weapons and items, but the rest of the game looks more or less the same (maybe slightly more orange on a Quest 2), though it is running of the headset hardware.

It's quite a change.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I'm looking forward to the remake of RE4 and then the VR mod, similar to what happened with RE2 Remake.

Dixon on
  • Options
    Being able to aim and shoot at the same time makes it almost too easy lol. I can side strafe guys lunging at me with a pitchfork with my knife out while attacking. But as a fanboy of RE4 I can't wait to sink me teeth more into this VR game. It's so damn good so far.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Being able to aim and shoot at the same time makes it almost too easy lol. I can side strafe guys lunging at me with a pitchfork with my knife out while attacking. But as a fanboy of RE4 I can't wait to sink me teeth more into this VR game. It's so damn good so far.

To be fair, supposedly just being able to aim was enough to trivialize it with just the inaccurate waggle controls on the wii. being able to strafe at the same time is pretty much cheating

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

To be fair, supposedly just being able to aim was enough to trivialize it with just the inaccurate waggle controls on the wii. being able to strafe at the same time is pretty much cheating

Yeah I was getting flashbacks to the Wii version for sure. I can't wait to see some of the other areas of the game in VR.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I will say that "waggle" was specifically the controls where you just randomly shook the remote to replace a button press. IR aiming, while not as precise as the more refined motion controls we enjoy now, was not waggle. Shaking the remote to swing the sword in Twilight Princess was waggle.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Completely baffled how Hitman 3 won "VR Game of the Year" in the Steam Awards. Were the VR releases this year that pitiful?

Ah, found a convincing theory on a VR news site comments section:
    ...the only reason this won is because all Steam users participating in the Steam Awards were prompted to vote on the VR category. Therefore, the 98% or so of Steam users that don't use VR voted for the only game they were familiar with (and that is actually good in flat).

Now it makes sense.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    To be fair, Red Matter is garbage.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »

At least it's competently built. Like, both Red Matter and Hitman III are listed as "standing VR supported" but only one of them actually lets you turn around with your physical body.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Dirty wrote: »

Yes, but is it incredibly blurry, illegible garbage? Because Hitman 3 VR totally is. It's the worst way to play the game, even if you consider the comedy of the hilariously bad implementation of the VR as some sort of light-hearted positive. I'm just going to quote my own review of it in this thread.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I finally got around to trying Hitman 3 in VR, courtesy of Game Pass.

After playing through the tutorial (which I highly recommend) and loading up a few different stages, I immediately thought "this is beyond stupid". After some further thought, I've concluded that it's just very stupid and currently the worse way to play the game (depending on how bad the streaming is to Switch), for exactly the reasons I expected. I tend not to be surprised in this area, but even I was impressed by how on the nose the issues are.

Positives:

- Handguns mostly work, though it's an inferior experience to the likes of H3VR or Boneworks with proper reloading controls and mechanical interface.
    - They included a necessary tutorial.
    - You play the actual levels, and not half-assed VR ones.
    - It's actually quite easy to turn on, and I'm impressed the detection worked the first time, but that probably just reflects on how half-assed other games are about VR detection
    - It didn't crash (see above).

Negatives:

- Pretty much all other weapons kind of suck, especially two-handed ones as there isn't a natural way to aim using the sights with your off-hand, as far as I can tell. At least they're usable, which is more than you can say about any scoped weapon (more on that later).
    - Unsurprisingly, the game's already kind of mediocre movement controls are comedically worse, but given the circumstances, it's hard to imagine they could've made it better without reinventing the entire game.
    - A more nuanced addition of the above, there is no roomscale support, which is interesting in its own way. Levels are, necessarily, large enough that you need some alternative locomotion just to play, much less be competent, but you would think walking around would translate to 47...walking around slightly, and not his head detaching from his shoulders.
    - The game looks awful on an RTX 3080TI. Some of this is reflecting the game not being optimized well to start but god it's a soupy mess through a Quest 2, I can only speculate if it's even worse on lower-resolution headsets or about the same. Maybe you can put this into the positive if you convince yourself that 47 suffers from an advanced astigmatism so bad he probably couldn't pass an automotive test even with eyeglasses. This might be correctable by modding a CFG file somewhere, but it wasn't correctable in the menus.
    - It has, without exaggeration, the worst telescopic sight implementation I've seen on a sniper's rifle in a VR game. And by extension, probably the worse telescopic sight implementation I've seen in any video game in the last two decades nearly. The reason is pretty self-obvious--all the games in this trilogy have used a 2D overlay dressed up to look like a 3D model for a telescopic sight, but this one is so much worse. And, unsurprisingly, the controls are terrible in it due to a problem with head orientation (I was tempted to blame my setup, except the problem isn't present with any other weapon, hence handguns mostly working).
    - They probably should've known that reorientation (clicking both sticks) causes you to crouch (clicking one stick) which is just sloppy.

It's one of those things that, in its awfulness, is hilarious to watch other people endure, but not so much to actually play. Despite its stupidity though, I have to give them sympathy: this was very clearly something they added into the design plan after earmarking a reasonable (and minimum) amount of additional effort ("Just get it working, realistically <1% of our audience will actually use it over its lifetime."), it would not justify redesigning the game, while at the same time not wanting to compromise with weak-ass VR specific missions compared to the scale and grandeur of the current engine. It may be the worse implementation of "VR overlay on a normal game that was already released normally," I've tried making things like Flight Simulator which are by no means perfect look brilliant by comparison, but admittedly I bought into VR for VR-specific experiences generally, so I really don't have much experience here. It's just taking a game that already had its share of technical jank under a veneer of polish, stripping away that veneer, and then jamming said jank directly into your eyeballs in case you were trying to overlook it.

Probably due to lack of imagination, if I asked about how to reasonably fix it within their allocated budget, I would've encouraged something like Hitman, Horseshoes and Grenades VR, that is a shooting range/arena of sorts with meticulously modeled weapons from the franchise (finally let us dual wield the 'Ballers) combined with a possible sightseeing system with immaculate detail. The Sniper Challenges might've worked, until I'm reminded that the mechanical reproduction of telescopic sights in VR, with any degree of realism, is beyond awkward as hell and into debilitating handicap ("Snipe with your feet"). It was bold of them to skip the Ace Combat approach (tiny, pre-curated levels), it just resulted in a product exactly as playable/unplayable as I expected it would.

It is quite amusing to watch other people play it though (and possibly get motion sick).

Except for the previously dumb problem with reorientation controls (which they did correct), and the addition of (broken) roomscale support, all of this is still true in my experience (for the hell of it, I loaded it up again; yup, you're still playing Hitman through goggles full of soup).

There's some sort of deeper, tragic/hilarious implications of this winning an award for "Best VR game" that I'm going to refrain on commenting on, though even I can think of way better games and I'm hardly a VR convert. Maybe we can just say Steam's game acclaiming/award methods kind of suck, because we already knew that.

EDIT: Actually, I don't know how Hitman 3 streaming on Switch is, because no one played it apparently. Depending on that, it may or may not be the worst way to play the game, but it probably is. It's definitely the worst way to play it with a fucking RTX 3080TI.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Do you guys have any suggestions for games that get you moving, very similar to how Beat Saber is. Playing these levels on Normal and I'm getting my heart rate up. Just curious if there's anything else like this... Maybe even like a boxing game or fitness game.

• Options
    MattyCakesMattyCakes Registered User regular
    Do you guys have any suggestions for games that get you moving, very similar to how Beat Saber is. Playing these levels on Normal and I'm getting my heart rate up. Just curious if there's anything else like this... Maybe even like a boxing game or fitness game.

I hear Synth Wave is good for fitness, similar to Beat Saber. I feel like I get a mini workout in playing Pistol Whip, there’s a lot of squatting

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    People swear by Pistol Whip

I bought that one boxing game in some bundle and I definitely got sweaty, which just made using the VR headset worse.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Audica, Audioshield, playing Skyrim with mandatory Natural Locomotion

• Options
    People swear by Pistol Whip

I bought that one boxing game in some bundle and I definitely got sweaty, which just made using the VR headset worse.

Thinking of picking up a cover for this exact reason.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    I've had great fun playing Ragnarock, it's all arms though, no crouching or dodging like in Beatsaber. Some good fast paced songs and I've worked up a sweat :D

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Good first impressions of PSVR 2 which comes out next month: https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/playstation-vr-2

Also, total random thought/observation, but I really wish Sony integrated some colorful glowy LED lights in the new PSVR2 controllers and headset. I know they are required for the original camera-based headset and controllers, but I really love the way they look.

• Options
    Oh wow Pistol Whip definitely makes you feel like John Wick!

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Red Matter and so far 2 is even better. Calling it Garbage seems harsh.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    My wife is apparently Jane Wick because watching her play Pistol Whip she nailed every level. Watched her dodge like 8 bullets and proceed to murder each one of those guys to the beat.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Glad Beat Saber got announced for PSVR2 at CES, hopefully more details soon as to whether or not music packs at least will transfer over.

GT7 was also announced to be compatible at the headset's launch and help now I'm looking at racing wheels.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Once again I consider a Quest 2 because an all-in-one headset that I can optionally connect to my PC is exactly what I want

And again I am rebuffed by the thought of giving Marky Zucks my money and data

Maybe soon, something will fill the same niche for less than a thousand dollars

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I heard some decent stuff about the Pimax Crystal at CES, still very skeptical. I'll just continue to watch.

The Quest Pro and the new HTC headset don't seem like enough of an upgrade to warrant the jump yet.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    My wife is apparently Jane Wick because watching her play Pistol Whip she nailed every level. Watched her dodge like 8 bullets and proceed to murder each one of those guys to the beat.

Urahonky has since been exceedingly polite and considerate to Mrs. Urahonky. :D

• Options
    edited January 2023
    No guns in this house! I'm also walking on egg shells just in case.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Speaking of which... Are there any good coop VR games? We have two sets at home now and I think it'd be cool if there was one.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Speaking of which... Are there any good coop VR games? We have two sets at home now and I think it'd be cool if there was one.

It's been years since I've played it (one of the first available Vive games, iirc), but I had a ton of fun playing Climbey with friends. It's not strictly built as a coop game, but you can absolutely help each other out with tough bits, and just the general experience of making the climbs with someone else is great.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

Trickster VR COOP Dungeon Crawler
    Rec Room
    Phasmophobia
    Arizona Sunshine

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Once again I consider a Quest 2 because an all-in-one headset that I can optionally connect to my PC is exactly what I want

The Lynx R1 and HTC Vive XR Elite both seem to fit the bill and will be out Soon™️. The upcoming headsets from Valve, Apple, and PiMax are farther out, but also may not come in under $1000

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

The Lynx R1 and HTC Vive XR Elite both seem to fit the bill and will be out Soon™️. The upcoming headsets from Valve, Apple, and PiMax are farther out, but also may not come in under $1000

The Lynx seems like the least predatory one, but the tech seems… strange to me, I don’t know if it’s what I’m looking for or not, I can’t tell

The Vive one seems great but it is also $1,100 bucks! I guess if you take into account that it comes with five games maybe that drops to less but dang yo. Dang.

I’m really just here to get one to play my spaceship flying games and maybe watch a movie! That’s a deep cut to the wallet!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Not getting a new HMD until it has wireless PCVR, button-controlled grip, and lighthouse tracking.

Or until Meta bricks my CV1 on a whim, I guess? They're sunsetting the Quest 1 already, and that hardware is only three years old, so even after converting my Oculus account to a Meta account I'm probably still on thin ice.

• Options
    JohnGriffinJohnGriffin MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I have an original Vive a friend gave me. It still get's a ton of use, but it's looking like I'm going to have to fix the touch pad on one of the controllers again. We've also basically worn out the strap, so I've bought the audio strap upgrade, and a new face cushion to refurb it while we wait for whatever valve's next headset is (hopefully some sort of steam deck based standalone unit) or if the PSVR2 supports a PC connection easily (it won't).

My son plays a ton of Superfly, and Walkabout Minigolf. I'm buying him Tiltbrush for his birthday, I think he'll really enjoy it. Any other recommendations for 6 year olds? He only gets about 15 minutes of play time a session.

I mostly play VTOL VR.

I bought Pistol Whip last night, and my body is in a whole world of pain, so thanks for the recommendation! It's what prompted my getting new face pads, boy do those get disgusting when working out.

JohnGriffin on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I have an original Vive a friend gave me. It still get's a ton of use, but it's looking like I'm going to have to fix the touch pad on one of the controllers again. We've also basically worn out the strap, so I've bought the audio strap upgrade, and a new face cushion to refurb it while we wait for whatever valve's next headset is (hopefully some sort of steam deck based standalone unit) or if the PSVR2 supports a PC connection easily (it won't).

My son plays a ton of Superfly, and Walkabout Minigolf. I'm buying him Tiltbrush for his birthday, I think he'll really enjoy it. Any other recommendations for 6 year olds? He only gets about 15 minutes of play time a session.

I mostly play VTOL VR.

I bought Pistol Whip last night, and my body is in a whole world of pain, so thanks for the recommendation! It's what prompted my getting new face pads, boy do those get disgusting when working out.

@JohnGriffin don't buy tiltbrush as they have stopped support. You can download Open Brush for free

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2023

Star Trek bridge crew is supposed to be really good if youre a fan of trek.

Also its not coop, but walkabout mini golf is an absolutely fantastic game that has multiplayer. The courses are real in the sense that you could build them with a Disney budget.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Stormland is coop. It's not amazing, but it's fun. Rec Room also has a bunch of coop adventures that are goofy but very enjoyable.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    JohnGriffinJohnGriffin MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    VTOL VR has co-op, the barrier to entry is high, but to fly around with a buddy/partner in your attack helicopter would be pretty wild!
    Karoz wrote: »

I mostly play VTOL VR.

@JohnGriffin don't buy tiltbrush as they have stopped support. You can download Open Brush for free

You are a hero! I was about 30 seconds from dropping 20 on tilt brush.