Options

[Anime] Suletta Sundays, with only the finest parenting.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Until just now when I looked it up, I thought Outlaw Star was going to be part of the Season 6 lineup for Animenagerie, but apparently it didn't make the cut.

Edit: And I don't know when I thought it was going to be either, as it likely would have been in either Captain Tylor or Escaflowne's spot but I knew both of those were in it.

Lars on
  • Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    Outlaw Star was back in the era of looking for bootleg VHS tapes of the BANNED FROM TOONAMI hot spring planet episode.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I like to use Outlaw Star vs Cowboy Bebop as the example for how to use anime as an adjective, because they're similar shows on the surface but outlaw star is so much more anime.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Zonugal has suggested Outlaw Star three times now, so it's not surprising you thought it was on the schedule.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I heard more people talk about Lost Universe than Outlaw Star, honestly.

I've never heard of the former

Anime adapting light novels, light novels are by the Slayers author and they’re paired universes (where the gods of the Slayers universe are incarnated as powerful spacecraft that have existed since forever)

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal has suggested Outlaw Star three times now, so it's not surprising you thought it was on the schedule.

But regrettably for Outlaw Star, I have suggested another show even more, a show that will finally get it's time in the sun in Season 7 of AniMenagerie!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

But regrettably for Outlaw Star, I have suggested another show even more, a show that will finally get it's time in the sun in Season 7 of AniMenagerie!!

Ah, right, Paranoia Agent.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I just rewatched outlaw star sometime in the last year, it held up pretty well I think

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I got around to the latest OPM

Tornado is scary

And fuck is the art so good

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I never actually saw Outlaw Star.

What are your thoughts/feelings on magic spells being shot from a gun?

Well I went "holy shit that's cool" when I saw shotgun wands with chk chk and clink clink of shells so all signs point to "great!"

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Paranoia Agent is both great, an absolute masterpiece... and something I see more people than not bouncing off of. It is great but it is weird and it is heavy and it is a lot.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I just rewatched outlaw star sometime in the last year, it held up pretty well I think

Some of the stuff with Fred Luo has not aged well, since it relies on queerphobic humor.

I'll admit it's a bit unfair to Outlaw Star to compare it to many of the isekai because a good chunk of it has very solid quality, but it's a great example of how popularity of the times, isn't the best metric to go by. There are better written anime. Also despite having some solid quality and being extremely popular, that didn't really stop it from fading out of the anime viewing conscious.

I suspect most of the isekai are going to be long forgotten in a decade. Sad thing is, I could see a number being remembered, not for having some redeeming the qualities, but for being really vile in some ways. Granted, people are going to get them mixed up because the worst thing with the shit isekai is that the MC participating or condoning slavery is really fucking boilerplate and it's frankly rather fucked up. Hell, that's totally an area where the publishers should be cracking down by telling both editors and writers that they aren't going to publish shit that is apologia for slavery.

Anyways, on Lost Universe, Crunchyroll actually has that on offer last I checked. I need to finish going through the series. I kind of have to watch it slowly because while I can enjoy silly stupid humor and the episodes I've seen so far have that. I can't really binge watch a series that relies on silly stupid humor.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    a lot of shit gets forgotten in a decade cause there are always new kids and they're always gonna be watching the new hotness

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options

Well I went "holy shit that's cool" when I saw shotgun wands with chk chk and clink clink of shells so all signs point to "great!"

Oh so you've watched Nanoha?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Sogeking just showed up.

Man I didn't know Usopp had such a cool friend.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Ah, Millions Knives finally living up to the name.

Knives is an existential threat to humanity in the manga, I haven't seen the show yet. But I bet it's bad.

Tornado is scary

Heroes of Fury is a short little one off manga drawn by Murata which very much set him up as the perfect artist for the redo of OPM.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular

Knives is an existential threat to humanity in the manga, I haven't seen the show yet. But I bet it's bad.

Well, I just meant in the latest episode he actually used a whole shitload of knives.

As opposed to the 90's anime, in which he never even used one.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    Sogeking just showed up.

Man I didn't know Usopp had such a cool friend.
    Water 7 and Ennies Lobby is Usopp's second best moment. His best moment is yet to come.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

Oh so you've watched Nanoha?

Sure have!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    The Sogeking theme is original to the anime, right? If so, it's easily the best thing the animators added to OP.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    FCD wrote: »
    The Sogeking theme is original to the anime, right? If so, it's easily the best thing the animators added to OP.

Yeah, the whole opening thing is anime original and amazing.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    kinda after the conversation ended, but I was just reminded randomly of how much I love the 2nd Konosuba opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdcddjV0l5o

Just the gang trying and failing to do all the stereotypical anime op/ed things: running through a field (whoops no cardio), dancing (whoops can't dance), dramatic fighting (whoops dropped the sword), flying gracefully through the air (lop whoops just uncontrolled, panicked falling).

Just a real good solid gag

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I just love how happy Darkness is to hurl herself through the air and how utterly resigned everybody is before being launched. Like "fuck I can't get out of this."

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Mill wrote: »

Some of the stuff with Fred Luo has not aged well, since it relies on queerphobic humor.

I'll admit it's a bit unfair to Outlaw Star to compare it to many of the isekai because a good chunk of it has very solid quality, but it's a great example of how popularity of the times, isn't the best metric to go by. There are better written anime. Also despite having some solid quality and being extremely popular, that didn't really stop it from fading out of the anime viewing conscious.

I suspect most of the isekai are going to be long forgotten in a decade. Sad thing is, I could see a number being remembered, not for having some redeeming the qualities, but for being really vile in some ways. Granted, people are going to get them mixed up because the worst thing with the shit isekai is that the MC participating or condoning slavery is really fucking boilerplate and it's frankly rather fucked up. Hell, that's totally an area where the publishers should be cracking down by telling both editors and writers that they aren't going to publish shit that is apologia for slavery.

Anyways, on Lost Universe, Crunchyroll actually has that on offer last I checked. I need to finish going through the series. I kind of have to watch it slowly because while I can enjoy silly stupid humor and the episodes I've seen so far have that. I can't really binge watch a series that relies on silly stupid humor.

Fred didn't bother me too much, contrary to what I expected after being reminded of his character before our group started watching, he's a little bit of a flamboyant gay stereotype and he remains very flirty towards Gene despite Gene repeatedly rejecting him, but he doesn't do anything more reprehensible than hitting on him.

I was definitely bracing for it to be worse than it was when we got to the first Fred episode.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Tornado is scary

Heroes of Fury is a short little one off manga drawn by Murata which very much set him up as the perfect artist for the redo of OPM.

I still find it amazing that his career started by creating a Robot Master for the Mega Man series (Dust Man, for those curious.) Unsurprisingly, he's done art for Capcom over the years.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular

He sings it in the manga, as much as you can sing anything in manga. The action sentai opening that's only playing inside his head is not shown, because it's only playing inside his head, but seeing it does make for a much richer experience.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Less cool than casting spells with proper chants and bigass magic circles, but still significantly more cool than using actual bullets.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm suddenly imagining some poor sod in the Fullmetal Alchemist universe who's had the misfortune of developing some kind of alchemy that only works on bullets, necessitating that he laboriously inscribe a custom transmutation circle on each individual casing.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    dammit Robin stop being a dumb dumb and let yourself get saved

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Holy cow.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/apple-drops-of-god-series-legendary-tv-1235156947/

Having read Drops of God in manga form I am very curious to see how this TV version works out. (there was a japanese adaptation a while ago, but it does not look like it was made with much budget, and Drops of God is definitely something that would benefit from high production values)

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I'm suddenly imagining some poor sod in the Fullmetal Alchemist universe who's had the misfortune of developing some kind of alchemy that only works on bullets, necessitating that he laboriously inscribe a custom transmutation circle on each individual casing.

FMA universe has both industrial capacity and, if that fails, the "can make circles with other circles" trick, so is not that bad.

• Options
    Last night on Animenagerie, Lupin died again and then Zombie Land Saga gave us a history lesson of the Saga prefecture of Japan with an episode set entirely in the Meiji era. I had to leave early, so I missed whatever duck hijinks happened in Princess Tutu.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Yeah, the whole opening thing is anime original and amazing.

Even on a mouse's eye!
    (Lock on)
    Even on your heart!
    (Lock ooooonnnn)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Holy cow.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/apple-drops-of-god-series-legendary-tv-1235156947/

Having read Drops of God in manga form I am very curious to see how this TV version works out. (there was a japanese adaptation a while ago, but it does not look like it was made with much budget, and Drops of God is definitely something that would benefit from high production values)

I was buying that but stopped at 4 (cos that's as much as had been published). I should get the rest.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Nier Automata V1.1a's doing an excellent job with the story so far, I hope the hiatus isn't too long.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Latest manga chapter of Kanojo mo Kanojo:
    Shino seems to have been afflicted with a curse where nobody can perceive her or remember she exists.

Seriously though, so many people were sure this arc was going to be when Shino officially joins in on the poly relationship, so I assume the author is just trolling at this point.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

Well it's FMA so it would probably be a rail gun. transmute cheap metal into Tungsten maybe cause the electric surge needed by doing something to the magnets

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    And here we are. Enies Lobby.

*buckles up*

• Options
    Is Zombieland Saga basically a promotional piece for Saga prefecture? Like it's about zombie idols but the genesis of the project and the funding was as a tourism ad basically?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Is Zombieland Saga basically a promotional piece for Saga prefecture? Like it's about zombie idols but the genesis of the project and the funding was as a tourism ad basically?

that's probably the least strange thing about that entire show, if true

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
This discussion has been closed.