Options

The MCU Multiverse Appreciation Station [Open Spoilers]

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I love that
    shit eating grin on Logan's face when Deadpool threatens to shoot him and Wolverine just leans into the gun.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited April 22
    Big month for
    E is for Extinction

akajaybay on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    yeah I am surprised to say that I actually liked that trailer, have mostly been in the "no thanks" column for deadpool

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Hugh Jackman is doing a lot of heavy lifting for that, I think

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I’m shocked to say it, but there is a lot of just passion in the trailer.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    regardless of how one feels about the style of humour in Deadpool or Ryan Reynolds in general, the deadpool series seems at least like something where the people involved seem to care about the thing they're putting out? Compared to a bunch of other MArvel/Disney output of the last few years

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    It definitely helps that this one actually has room to breathe, last year or two it felt like entire MCU movies and D+ TV series got lost in the weeds for lack of oxygen

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited April 23
    I think the thing in the trailer that got me
    is deadpool saying let's fucking go in a pump up scene and then jump cut to wolverine somewhere else saying let's fucking go. just good editing/always good when a character you think is not into something repeats a line another character said earlier in the film.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    yeah I am surprised to say that I actually liked that trailer, have mostly been in the "no thanks" column for deadpool
    honovere wrote: »
    Hugh Jackman is doing a lot of heavy lifting for that, I think
    Blake T wrote: »
    I’m shocked to say it, but there is a lot of just passion in the trailer.
    honovere wrote: »
    regardless of how one feels about the style of humour in Deadpool or Ryan Reynolds in general, the deadpool series seems at least like something where the people involved seem to care about the thing they're putting out? Compared to a bunch of other MArvel/Disney output of the last few years

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Jackman and Reynolds are just really good buds who probably had an absolute fuckin’ blast making the movie.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Reynolds, from what I can tell, has always cared a lot for Deadpool as a character, and has put serious (maximum?) effort into making these movies good.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I don't remember too much from Deadpool 2, but I remember Deadpool 1 having a genuine heart and a positive message, and it seems like they're carrying that forward with this one.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Was it ever confirmed that it was Reynolds who leaked the CGI test footage that the studio had initially passed on, but public response got them to reconsider it?

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    Was it ever confirmed that it was Reynolds who leaked the CGI test footage that the studio had initially passed on, but public response got them to reconsider it?

I remember an interview with him where his response was 'there's a 70% chance that I think I leaked it'

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Ralph Ineson has been cast as Galactus for the upcoming Fantastic Four film.

This man... This man has a VOICE for Galactus:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/vMPBxMchBnQ?si=Pb9skC6d9423sKRB

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    This is y'all's cue to go play Final Fantasy XVI if you haven't already, by the way.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I watched the first 5 episodes of X-Men 97 today.

Why is this so good?!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I have like two more episodes of xmen 94 before I start xmen 97, the animation of the final season is rough.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I have like two more episodes of xmen 94 before I start xmen 97, the animation of the final season is rough.

Yeah you can really tell they outsourced the animation to like, a fucking 4th grade class or something

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

I couldn't do it. Screencrush has a "Entire Show in 35 minutes" summary and I watched that instead.

• Options
    edited May 10
    Like it’s worth it to watch the classic episodes, the master mould run, anything with bishop doing time bullshit, asteroid M, the phoenix saga and apocalypse’s ending time bullshit. They’re all a heap of fun.

The savage land was not as good as I remember.

I find it hilarious what a fucking puts Wolverine is now days compared to when I was young and I thought he was the coolest fucken character around.

Blake T on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Ralph Ineson has been cast as Galactus for the upcoming Fantastic Four film.

This man... This man has a VOICE for Galactus:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/vMPBxMchBnQ?si=Pb9skC6d9423sKRB

Excited to hear that voice filtered to hell and back in post production rather than letting it just be as it is.

• Options
    Ok I’m like three episodes into xmen 97.

It’s genuinely surprising to see Wolverine well written. Like after 60+ episodes of the writers asking the question, “what’s the dumbest shit we can have him say” seeing him like appeal to Jean was actually just a really nice moment.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    X-men 97 is REALLY good. I kept hearing that it was good but ultimately it was very much in the vein of the original cartoon and I'm forced to assume the people saying that didn't actually remember the X-men Animated Series all that well. That show was a MESS. Just a constantly nonsensical thing.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Like I rewatched the entire thing to do this.

The original cartoon did not give a fuck. It just wanted to spend 22 minutes telling its story and it was going to do whatever it wanted to tell that story, continuity or respect to the kids watching it be dammed.

A bunch of low key off screen death just ignored, the size of everyone changing to meet the needs of what is happening (mostly sentinels), exposition to move shit forward, varied power levels to suit that moment. It just didn’t give a fuck.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Like I rewatched the entire thing to do this.

The original cartoon did not give a fuck. It just wanted to spend 22 minutes telling its story and it was going to do whatever it wanted to tell that story, continuity or respect to the kids watching it be dammed.

A bunch of low key off screen death just ignored, the size of everyone changing to meet the needs of what is happening (mostly sentinels), exposition to move shit forward, varied power levels to suit that moment. It just didn’t give a fuck.

Which is a more accurate representation of the comics its adapted from

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited May 13
    I watched the first couple episodes shortly before 97 started releasing and the sentinels are hilarious. I don't think I could write a better joke than a gigantic robot trying (successfully, mind you) to hide between two houses.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 13
    "WHAT IS THAT OBJECT?" remains my favorite gag from the show, and possibly my entire childhood

https://youtu.be/A5v2RdxYGqk?si=xvAiR5tfVGyYS5jq

Green on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    The bit that got me.
    Jean: He's here!

Wolverine (claws out): Who, Apocalypse?!

Jean: No, the baby!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    How many times have they changed the title of that show now

• Options
    edited May 15
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

No, see, you thought the show had those other titles, but really

The show's name this whole time was

It

It was

Andy Joe on
  • Options
    It is magic

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I don't think even once, I think it was viral marketing the whole time. It's just, with all the bad MCU news stories out there and the too long development period, it didn't properly come off as a joke, but instead as a terrible project that was a disaster in the making.

Note: The title changing could have been an intentional marketing-directed joke AND the series could still be a disaster, they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The series was first announced with the title Agatha: House of Harkness,[2] but was renamed to Agatha: Coven of Chaos by July 2022.[34] The series was revealed to have been retitled once again in September 2023, this time to Agatha: Darkhold Diaries.[35] Actress Aubrey Plaza had previously posted a photo in May 2023 of a director's chair with that title, in a font based on the one used for the Disney film The Princess Diaries (2001).[36] Adam B. Vary at Variety reported that the multiple title changes were not caused by indecision from Marvel Studios and were instead indicating that the main character was "up to her old skulduggery",[37] and he said it was possible that the series was simply titled Agatha;[38] that is what the series was referred to as in a filing for the first episode with the United States Copyright Office as well as on the official Disney+ website.[39][40][41]

I don't believe for a second that it was anything but them not knowing how to market it

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I think I saw speculation that all the different titles might be the titles of the individual episodes.

---

On a different topic, watching X-men '97 has me wondering what the MCU would do with Rogue's powers when she's introduced. You basically have three choices:
    1. Her basic absorption power alongside the flight and super strength that she stole from Carol Danvers, as fans of the original cartoon are most familiar with.
    2. Just her basic absorption power, like she had in the movies and X-men Evolution.
    3. The more modern comic version where she can recall any power she's absorbed in the past (there are variations of this one, such as if it's controllable or not).

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Having Rogue take some portion of Carol's powers immediately makes her more viable and interesting AND tones down the issues of "Carol can solo every problem in this universe, including a DYING SUN." So that would be the smartest route by far, imo. Will they do that? Who knows.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    They should model their MCU Rogue after her version from X-Men: Evolution, but still give her the accent from the 90's animated series.

I want a goth punk who speaks with a Southern twang.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Give her the flight and super strength but there's no reason to explain it. Wolverine has healing and bone claws, Gambit has charging and hypnosis powers, mutants get random shit, it's not always on a theme.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Depends on how mutants are introduced. Coming in from another universe (I expect this as the outcome of Deadpool 3)? She absorbed Carol's powers before coming over. That Carol actually died from it, which is when Rogue switched to being a hero.

Gives potential for a good scene with MCU Carol.