As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac Thread: Gihgehls hates the title and I don't give a fuck.

• Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Marlor wrote: »
    Satan. wrote: »
    I still can't believe no one has made a better ripper yet. The publicly available MacTheRipper is PowerPC-based. There is an Intel one but the developers went into an extremely shady donationware mode. They won't tell you how much you should donate, only that "$50 should be enough". I use DVD Decrypter in WinXP/Parallels for my DVD ripping needs.

Yep. I rarely rip DVDs, but when I do it, it's in Parallels (or on my desktop PC).

This really is one area where Mac support is pretty awful. Which is strange because there are a bunch of Linux command-line tools to do the job that could be easily ported, then have a quick GUI chucked on top.

Seriously. I don't understand what is so difficult about this.

Satan. on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Marlor wrote: »
    Yep. I rarely rip DVDs, but when I do it, it's in Parallels (or on my desktop PC).

This really is one area where Mac support is pretty awful. Which is strange because there are a bunch of Linux command-line tools to do the job that could be easily ported, then have a quick GUI chucked on top.

Seriously. I don't understand what is so difficult about this.

Do you know what the saddest part is...

I could probably whip some code up tonight to at least do part of the job. It really shouldn't be hard.

Or I could play Mario Kart Wii.

Mario Kart wins.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    KevarKevar regular
    edited April 2008
    how can i edit the appearance of my dock? the options in system prefs are super limited

Kevar on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What exactly are you looking at changing?

Kris on
  • Options
    KevarKevar regular
    edited April 2008
    well most importantly the color of my UI. the two colors it offers clash with my desktop.

Kevar on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    pimpmydock.com

Okay it used to work but now it's offline

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ben0207 on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My 3D dock (Piano Black with white glow) on my Powerbook is freaking beautiful. On my Mini I just use the 2D dock on the bottom, it fits the whole theme of the setup.

Pimpmydock is awesome.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Oh yeah, I just remembered Spike that I used freqently the last time I fiddled with Macs. It lets you share clipboards between computers (even between OSX and Windows).

Great for when I'm working on both computers at once.

Echo on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kris: I'm in the same situation you are. I really want to have all of my calendaring apps synced, and the easiest way for me to do that is to have 2-way syncing with Google Calendar.

For free take a look at gcaldaemon. It's an open-source, Java-based program that is able to sync between iCal and Google Calendar. I've taken a shot at using it once though, and got a little lost in the setup docs and wasn't able to get things working. I should give it another try though.

I've heard a lot of good things about SpanningSync, and it'll do Google Contacts in an upcoming version, in addition to calendars (which I'd really, really like). But like Satan mentioned: you've gotta sell him your soul to acquire it or turn over a limb. Seriously? Yearly fees? Fuck off. Or I can just pay out the ass for the one-time fee ($65) to sync calendars? Nuh-uh.

The third option is BusySync. It'll do iCal syncing on a LAN, as well as syncing with Google Calendar. It's where I'm leaning right now. It's the 2nd best price ($0 being #1), but seems to be about the easiest to set up.

If someone knows of another option please let me know!

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Kevar wrote: »
    how can i edit the appearance of my dock? the options in system prefs are super limited

PimpMyDock.com is alright, but I use SuperDocker for my dock modification needs. Unlike everyone else it seems, I liked the 3D dock. I just made it a black instead of white reflective base.

Satan. on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I just remembered Spike that I used freqently the last time I fiddled with Macs. It lets you share clipboards between computers (even between OSX and Windows).

Great for when I'm working on both computers at once.

I prefer just using Synergy when working on more than one computer

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Kevar wrote: »

PimpMyDock.com is alright, but I use SuperDocker for my dock modification needs. Unlike everyone else it seems, I liked the 3D dock. I just made it a black instead of white reflective base.

I love the 3D dock. But I wanted it more clear. Pimp my Dock worked well enough for that.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »

I liked Synergy, but I had to stop using it since it had a habit of crashing when the focus was on the other computer and I pretty much had to kick the reset button to get it back. Is that fixed?

Echo on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i didn't mind the 3d dock, but recently i switched it to 2d to match my desktop theme better,; i am a sucker for making my mac look as cute as can be

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So OS X on my MacBook is running like absolute dog shit. Everything takes forever to load, I have problems like expose only working some of the time, the finder after start up giving me the beach ball for about 3 minutes, sluggishness when opening new windows, etc. Really just general malaise. Safari runs like shit, it takes about a minute and half to open a PDF. Adium takes about 2 minutes to start.

It also seems to be taking longer and longer to start up my system, we're talking on the order of minutes to restart.

I thought it was my hard drive going, but my XP partition runs buttery smooth. Much much faster than when im running in OS X.

Honestly, it feels just like when I would have spyware or a virus on my old PC. Is it possible that I have a virus in OS X? What can i use to fix this? Are there any OS X vodoo tricks that can speed me back up. I'm not going to lie, this machine has been to all corners of the internet so i wouldn't be surprised if it ended up with the one Mac virus that exists.

If it helps I have a first gen MacBook 2.0Ghz CoreDuo, 1.25gb ram, 160gb Seagate Momentus HDD, OS X version 10.5.2.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Akilae729 wrote: »
    So OS X on my MacBook is running like absolute dog shit. Everything takes forever to load, I have problems like expose only working some of the time, the finder after start up giving me the beach ball for about 3 minutes, sluggishness when opening new windows, etc. Really just general malaise. Safari runs like shit, it takes about a minute and half to open a PDF. Adium takes about 2 minutes to start.

It also seems to be taking longer and longer to start up my system, we're talking on the order of minutes to restart.

I thought it was my hard drive going, but my XP partition runs buttery smooth. Much much faster than when im running in OS X.

Honestly, it feels just like when I would have spyware or a virus on my old PC. Is it possible that I have a virus in OS X? What can i use to fix this? Are there any OS X vodoo tricks that can speed me back up. I'm not going to lie, this machine has been to all corners of the internet so i wouldn't be surprised if it ended up with the one Mac virus that exists.

If it helps I have a first gen MacBook 2.0Ghz CoreDuo, 1.25gb ram, 160gb Seagate Momentus HDD, OS X version 10.5.2.
    That's quite peculiar. Don't bother checking permissions, but is what apps are you running when this happens? Any input managers, or APE? And what do you have on startup?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »

That's quite peculiar. Don't bother checking permissions, but is what apps are you running when this happens? Any input managers, or APE? And what do you have on startup?

Programs that I usually have on at start up are usually just iTunes and Temperature Monitor Lite in my menu bar. Usually when im just on the machine I have Safari, Adium, iTunes, and Mail running. I don't think i have any input managers, don't know what an APE is.

Honestly, it's really strange. It is getting worse and worse, like a windows install that just keeps shitting on itself over time. And I would totally think it was the HDD, but the XP side is as fast as ever.

Could it have something to do with what I have connected on start up usually? I have the computer hooked up to a FireWire external HDD for Time Machine, external mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Sometimes my iPod. The problem is though, is I have always used this computer with those peripherals, and it was fast as lightning a few months ago.

EDIT: I'm starting to think its a problem with the Finder. The Finder is what is sluggish on start up i think. Also on restart, twice the finder has refused to quit forcing me to shut the laptop down using the power buton

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    if any of you experienced mac people could help me with this, i would be so very oh god greatful
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=56417

my mac side works like a dream. bah, pc's and their software really make me annoyed. i really am not quite sure how i was a pc lover for so long and only recently (last october) bought my macbook pro. its so clean and sexy and smooth and... i think i need a few minutes alone.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hmm. Looking at the stuff in the Macheist bundle. Wallet and Cha-Ching in particular seem very interesting, so I grabbed the demos and toyed around for a bit.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    enigmo is killer fun

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hmm. Looking at the stuff in the Macheist bundle. Wallet and Cha-Ching in particular seem very interesting, so I grabbed the demos and toyed around for a bit.

That minimalist word processor seems quite interesting. Although paying for vastly reduced functionality seems a bit silly really.

I'd have got my essays done much faster in any case (except for all the damn references).

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Will a separate keyboard be significantly more comfortable to use than my Macbook's keyboard?

If so, what's a good one to buy if I'm willing to spend more for something that'll let me type for longer without suffering finger cramps?

I mean, I'm thinking about the Apple Keyboard right now, but that's only because I don't know of anything else.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I purchased the bundle the 2nd day it was out, and there are some good things, and there are some not-so-great things. The big reasons for the purchase for me were CoverSutra and Cha-Ching.

CoverSutra is awesome. Flat-out awesome. I'm sure there are some similar replacements out there, but I can't imagine something else with comparable functionality, and something that looks so nice.

Cha-Ching ... works ... kinda. It keeps track of my deposits and my withdraws. I'm looking forward to v2.0. It should do a much better job. I'll try to explain what about the app bugs me (spoilered for looong, disjointed bitching):
    It really annoys me that I put things in the scheduled transactions, and they show up in the regular register as "Upcoming" transactions. This is fine except that it's reflected in the account's balance by default. It's really not that bad, because you can default to hiding transactions that aren't marked as "Reconciled". But this means that I have to enter transactions as being reconciled when they haven't actually cleared the bank yet. I know it's not a huge deal, but I dislike like that I now can't wait for things to clear the bank before actually marking them that way. Another oddity is that if you have a scheduled transaction set up it will only show the next upcoming instance of each one. Example:
    I get paid weekly. Rent is due at the beginning of the month. So I'm half-way though the month. I have 2 paychecks coming up before rent is due. So Cha-Ching should show:
    Paycheck
    Paycheck
    Rent
    But since it only shows the next upcoming instance of each scheduled transaction you just see:
    Paycheck
    Rent
    And like I said, it calculates those into the account's balance. This drives me nuts because it can make for a very inaccurate display of forecasted balances.
    Cha-Ching lets you set an image for each transaction. Which is kind of helpful because it's a really quick bit of visual feedback. The part that sucks is that it won't remember an image for a vendor. So for each time I enter Starbucks, switch to the "Photo" tab of the transaction entry pane, I have to find the image in the Finder, and then drop it in the program. It'd be really keen if it could kind of create an Images table or something and use the vendor name as a key. This also kind of creates a problem in that each row in the transaction table holds onto an image now. Nothing will make a table's size balloon like needlessly repeating binary data.
    The only other thing that kinda bugs me is that the only file format I can export to is CSV. Which I don't think a bunch of other programs like. So I'm feeling kind of stuck if I want to leave Cha-Ching. Though I should research what file formats other programs can import from, before I say "I'm suck dudes! Help!"

Wallet is nice so far. I think 1password would be a bit much for me, which from my understanding is sorta similar in respect to storing passwords, serial numbers, etc. I just wanted something simple. My single complaint so far is that I would like to store files as serial numbers/keys. Other than that, it does what I want it to.

I really haven't messed with the other programs yet. :P

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Belruel wrote: »
    if any of you experienced mac people could help me with this, i would be so very oh god greatful
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=56417

my mac side works like a dream. bah, pc's and their software really make me annoyed. i really am not quite sure how i was a pc lover for so long and only recently (last october) bought my macbook pro. its so clean and sexy and smooth and... i think i need a few minutes alone.

i feel the same way

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

That MacHeist bundle isn't bad for new Mac users. It's a bit of a greatest hits kind of thing. Check out the MacUpdate one, too, I know Parallels just got unlocked for it.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »

That minimalist word processor seems quite interesting. Although paying for vastly reduced functionality seems a bit silly really.

I'd have got my essays done much faster in any case (except for all the damn references).

Don't buy the bundle for that. There are tons of free programs that do the same thing, including a few web-based ones. It's extremely stupid to buy a program for that, to be sure.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Will a separate keyboard be significantly more comfortable to use than my Macbook's keyboard?

If so, what's a good one to buy if I'm willing to spend more for something that'll let me type for longer without suffering finger cramps?

I mean, I'm thinking about the Apple Keyboard right now, but that's only because I don't know of anything else.

The Apple Keyboard is a MacBook keyboard, just external. If you cramp up with the MacBook, that's not going to help matters very much unless the angle is a problem. If that's the issue, just stick something under the back side of the laptop -- much cheaper and easier than an external keyboard.

I don't have a keyboard recommendation for you, unfortunately. I just wrote a 22 page paper on my Air and didn't cramp up once.

Satan. on
  • Options
    KevarKevar regular
    edited April 2008
    so the new penryn "early 2008" macbook pros have trouble playing mac games like anything old from Blizzard and Fallout, etc, has anyone heard of a fix for this?

Kevar on
  • Options
    xrolfxxrolfx Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't have a keyboard recommendation for you, unfortunately. I just wrote a 22 page paper on my Air and didn't cramp up once.

That's 'cause if you have an Air, your wrists are supported by wads of cash.

I kid, I kid!

xrolfx on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    what are some cool mac games i could look into? quake 2 is pretty sweet.

also, what exactly does "universal binary" mean? in technical and layman's terms?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Runs on both the current Intel processors and the older Power processors.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    stuff

I plunked down the cash for the bundle. Cha-Ching alone seemed worth it.

I do agree with you on the whole upcoming transactions though. I added my next three student loan payments, and now my account is in the negative since I don't have that much cash. :P

I thought I had a workaround by not attaching the payment to any account, but when I select "None" and save it still shows up as the original account.

Ah well, not really a big complaint, and I'm sure plenty of people have pointed it out to them for the coming versions.

edit: limiting the view to "This month" made the account match up to what I actually have in it, but that might not work for shorter periods like two-week paychecks.

Echo on
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    things

Fire up Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities) and sort the list of running programs by CPU usage. Keep an eye on the top few items. If anything is using unsane percentage of the CPU that will be your performance culprit. If that doesn't help figure out what is wrong open up Console which is also in the utilities folder. View the console log and see if anything is reporting errors there. A lot of times if background processes crash or run into trouble that will spew output the console. I had a problem once where I had some broken movie on my desktop so the quicklook daemon kept trying to generate a thumbnail but crashed, this would cause regular and annoying slowdowns until I looked at the console and saw a hundred quicklookd crashes.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »

I liked Synergy, but I had to stop using it since it had a habit of crashing when the focus was on the other computer and I pretty much had to kick the reset button to get it back. Is that fixed?

Well, I've never had that problem with it, but I'm going to say yes anyway because I've been using it for a year or two with no issues.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    bash wrote: »
    things

Fire up Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities) and sort the list of running programs by CPU usage. Keep an eye on the top few items. If anything is using unsane percentage of the CPU that will be your performance culprit. If that doesn't help figure out what is wrong open up Console which is also in the utilities folder. View the console log and see if anything is reporting errors there. A lot of times if background processes crash or run into trouble that will spew output the console. I had a problem once where I had some broken movie on my desktop so the quicklook daemon kept trying to generate a thumbnail but crashed, this would cause regular and annoying slowdowns until I looked at the console and saw a hundred quicklookd crashes.

Right now running adium, itunes and safari I get this error sitting in the console, basically occurring every 2 seconds

4/27/08 12:39:19 PM Adium[194] *** NSTimer ignoring exception 'Can't cache image' that raised during firing of timer with target 0x443900 and selector 'animateIcon:'

This is what happening when i restart. Does anything in there look interesting?

This it he console messages
    4/27/08 2:05:12 PM com.apple.loginwindow[24] Shutdown NOW!
    4/27/08 2:05:12 PM com.apple.loginwindow[24] System shutdown time has arrived
    4/27/08 2:05:12 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] kextunload: unload kext /Library/Extensions/VBoxDrv.kext succeeded
    4/27/08 2:05:12 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] kextunload: unload kext /System/Library/Extensions/speedit.kext succeeded
    4/27/08 2:05:26 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/airport_wps.plist
    4/27/08 2:05:26 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/AVCAssistant.plist
    4/27/08 2:05:26 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist
    4/27/08 2:05:26 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mio.AVCAssistant) Conflict with job: 0x100990.AVCAssistant over Mach service: com.apple.mio.AVCAssistant
    4/27/08 2:05:26 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
    4/27/08 2:05:26 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.ntp.ntpd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
    4/27/08 2:05:34 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] VMware Fusion 72241: Starting VMware Fusion:
    4/27/08 2:05:35 PM com.apple.kextd[10] 16AtherosInterface is not compatible with its superclass, 16IO80211Interface superclass changed?
    4/27/08 2:05:35 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] kextload serialization lock busy; sleeping (89 retries left)
    4/27/08 2:05:38 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] kextload: /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/kexts/vmmon.kext loaded successfully
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] kextload: /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/kexts/vmci.kext loaded successfully
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] kextload: /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/kexts/vmioplug.kext loaded successfully
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] kextload: /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/kexts/vmnet.kext loaded successfully
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server 2.0
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 The Internet Software Consortium.
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] All rights reserved.
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Please contribute if you find this software useful.
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/dhcp-contrib.html
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Configured subnet: 192.168.47.0
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Setting vmnet-dhcp IP address: 192.168.47.254
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Opened:
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Recving on VNet/vmnet8/192.168.47.0
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Sending on VNet/vmnet8/192.168.47.0
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server 2.0
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 The Internet Software Consortium.
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Please contribute if you find this software useful.
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/dhcp-contrib.html
    4/27/08 2:05:40 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Configured subnet: 192.168.153.0
    4/27/08 2:05:40 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Setting vmnet-dhcp IP address: 192.168.153.254
    4/27/08 2:05:40 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Opened:
    4/27/08 2:05:40 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Recving on VNet/vmnet1/192.168.153.0
    4/27/08 2:05:40 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Sending on VNet/vmnet1/192.168.153.0
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.UserEventAgent-LoginWindow[106]) Exited: Terminated
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[112] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init_per_user.d/PCIESlotCheck.plist
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[112] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init_per_user.d/RemoteUI.plist
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM com.apple.launchd[95] (0x101190.PCIESlotCheck) Failed to check-in!
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] Loading VBoxDrv.kext
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] kextload serialization lock busy; sleeping (89 retries left)
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] kextload serialization lock busy; sleeping (89 retries left)
    4/27/08 2:05:53 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] kextload serialization lock busy; sleeping (88 retries left)
    4/27/08 2:05:54 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] kextload: /Library/Extensions/VBoxDrv.kext loaded successfully
    4/27/08 2:05:55 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/speedit.kext is already loaded
    4/27/08 2:06:27 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] BootCacheControl: could not fetch history: Cannot allocate memory
    4/27/08 2:06:27 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] BootCacheControl: could not stop cache/fetch history: Cannot allocate memory

This is all messages
    4/27/08 2:05:12 PM sudo[721] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/speedit.kext
    4/27/08 2:05:12 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] kextunload: unload kext /Library/Extensions/VBoxDrv.kext succeeded
    4/27/08 2:05:12 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] kextunload: unload kext /System/Library/Extensions/speedit.kext succeeded
    4/27/08 2:05:27 PM kernel npvhash=4095
    4/27/08 2:05:26 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/airport_wps.plist
    4/27/08 2:05:26 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/AVCAssistant.plist
    4/27/08 2:05:26 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist
    4/27/08 2:05:26 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mio.AVCAssistant) Conflict with job: 0x100990.AVCAssistant over Mach service: com.apple.mio.AVCAssistant
    4/27/08 2:05:26 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
    4/27/08 2:05:26 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.ntp.ntpd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
    4/27/08 2:05:27 PM kextd[10] 417 cached, 0 uncached personalities to catalog
    4/27/08 2:05:27 PM kernel hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000
    4/27/08 2:05:27 PM kernel PAE enabled
    4/27/08 2:05:27 PM kernel Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: Tue Mar 4 21:17:34 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.4.31~1/RELEASE_I386
    4/27/08 2:05:27 PM kernel standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
    4/27/08 2:05:27 PM kernel vm_page_bootstrap: 314149 free pages and 13531 wired pages
    4/27/08 2:05:27 PM kernel mig_table_max_displ = 79
    4/27/08 2:05:27 PM kernel 110 prelinked modules
    4/27/08 2:05:27 PM kernel AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=0 LocalApicId=0 Enabled
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=1 LocalApicId=1 Enabled
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Loading security extension com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel calling mpo_policy_init for TMSafetyNet
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Security policy loaded: Safety net for Time Machine (TMSafetyNet)
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Loading security extension com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Loading security extension com.apple.security.seatbelt
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel calling mpo_policy_init for mb
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Seatbelt MACF policy initialized
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Security policy loaded: Seatbelt Policy (mb)
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel MAC Framework successfully initialized
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel using 6553 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel devfs_make_node: not ready for devices!
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel mbinit: done
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Security auditing service present
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel BSM auditing present
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: B17559CB-40D1-3086-BF69-F7AA772A732B
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5811 built-in now active, GUID 0016cbfffee40e3e; max speed s400.
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleAHCI/PRT2@2/IOAHCIDevice@0/AppleAHCIDiskDriver/IOAHCIBlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/ST9160821AS Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/Apple_HFS_Untitled_1@2
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel CSRHIDTransitionDriver::start []
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel CSRHIDTransitionDriver::switchToHCIMode legacy
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel USBF: 2.655 CSRHIDTransitionDriver[0x331f280](IOUSBCompositeDevice) GetFullConfigDescriptor(0) returned NULL
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel CSRHIDTransitionDriver... done
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Jettisoning kernel linker.
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Resetting IOCatalogue.
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel GFX0: family specific matching fails
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel display: family specific matching fails
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Matching service count = 1
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Matching service count = 3
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel display: family specific matching fails
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel Previous Shutdown Cause: 3
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel SMC::smcIH no fPlatformPlugin, cannot set plimits
    4/27/08 2:05:28 PM kernel GFX0: family specific matching fails
    4/27/08 2:05:31 PM bootlog[37] BOOT_TIME: 1209330322 0
    4/27/08 2:05:31 PM rpc.statd[19] statd.notify - no notifications needed
    4/27/08 2:05:34 PM DirectoryService[33] Launched version 5.2 (v514.4)
    4/27/08 2:05:34 PM fseventsd[28] bumping event counter to: 0xa4e2c (current 0x0) from log file '000000000009f702'
    4/27/08 2:05:34 PM VMware Fusion 72241[48] Starting VMware Fusion:
    4/27/08 2:05:34 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] VMware Fusion 72241: Starting VMware Fusion:
    4/27/08 2:05:35 PM mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-170 (Jan 4 2008 18:04:07)[23] starting
    4/27/08 2:05:35 PM com.apple.SecurityServer[20] Entering service
    4/27/08 2:05:35 PM com.apple.kextd[10] 16AtherosInterface is not compatible with its superclass, 16IO80211Interface superclass changed?
    4/27/08 2:05:35 PM kextd[52] a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext
    4/27/08 2:05:35 PM kernel ath_attach: devid 0x1c
    4/27/08 2:05:35 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[24] Login Window Application Started
    4/27/08 2:05:35 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] kextload serialization lock busy; sleeping (89 retries left)
    4/27/08 2:05:36 PM kernel mac 10.3 phy 6.1 radio 10.2
    4/27/08 2:05:36 PM /usr/sbin/ocspd[59] starting
    4/27/08 2:05:38 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] kextload: /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/kexts/vmmon.kext loaded successfully
    4/27/08 2:05:38 PM kernel vmmon: Loaded @ 0x3fa70000: Info 0x3fa7d500 Name com.vmware.kext.vmx86 Version 1.1.1fc2 build-72241 at Jan 16 2008 21:26:45
    4/27/08 2:05:38 PM kernel vmmon: Service start
    4/27/08 2:05:38 PM kernel vmmon: Instrumenting bug 151304 without page information...
    4/27/08 2:05:38 PM kernel vmmon: Fast clock thread started.
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM kernel vmmon: Initial HV check: anyNotCapable=0 anyUnlocked=0 anyEnabled=1 anyDisabled=0
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM kernel vmmon: HV check: anyNotCapable=0 anyUnlocked=0 anyEnabled=1 anyDisabled=0
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] kextload: /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/kexts/vmci.kext loaded successfully
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM kernel vmmon: Module initialized.
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] kextload: /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/kexts/vmioplug.kext loaded successfully
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM kernel vmmon: Registering for power state changes
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] kextload: /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/kexts/vmnet.kext loaded successfully
    4/27/08 2:05:40 PM kernel vmci: Initializing module.
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Configured subnet: 192.168.47.0
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Setting vmnet-dhcp IP address: 192.168.47.254
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Opened:
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Recving on VNet/vmnet8/192.168.47.0
    4/27/08 2:05:39 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Sending on VNet/vmnet8/192.168.47.0
    4/27/08 2:05:40 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Configured subnet: 192.168.153.0
    4/27/08 2:05:40 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Setting vmnet-dhcp IP address: 192.168.153.254
    4/27/08 2:05:40 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Opened:
    4/27/08 2:05:40 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Recving on VNet/vmnet1/192.168.153.0
    4/27/08 2:05:40 PM com.vmware.launchd.vmware[40] Sending on VNet/vmnet1/192.168.153.0
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmci: VMCI: Driver initialized.
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmci: Module initialized.
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: Initializing module (version 1.1.1fc2, build-72241).
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: VMNet_Start allocated gOSMallocTag
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: Module initialized.
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: VNetUserIf_Create: created userIf at 0x3a9ba00.
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: VMNetConnect: returning port 0x3a9ba00
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: Hub 8 does not exist, allocating memory.
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: Allocated hub 0x3a33800 for hubNum 8.
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: VMNET_SO_BINDTOHUB: port: paddr 00:50:56:f5:3e:d0
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: Hub 8
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: Port 0
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: VNetUserIf_Create: created userIf at 0x3a9b600.
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: VMNetConnect: returning port 0x3a9b600
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: VMNET_SO_BINDTOHUB: port: paddr 00:50:56:e1:45:f0
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: Port 1
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: VNetUserIf_Create: created userIf at 0x3a9b500.
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: VMNetConnect: returning port 0x3a9b500
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: VMNET_SO_BINDTOHUB: port: paddr 00:50:56:ee:4c:5c
    4/27/08 2:05:40 PM fseventsd[28] log dir: /Volumes/WINDOWSXP/.fseventsd getting new uuid: C6727962-0AF5-45D0-9BBF-5C2AA22D5CE5
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: Port 1
    4/27/08 2:05:42 PM kernel vmnet: Port 2
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: VNetUserIfFree: freeing userIf at 0x3a9b500.
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: netif-vmnet8: Adding protocol 2.
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: VNetUserIf_Create: created userIf at 0x3a9b300.
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: VMNetConnect: returning port 0x3a9b300
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: Hub 1 does not exist, allocating memory.
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: Allocated hub 0x3b9b000 for hubNum 1.
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: VMNET_SO_BINDTOHUB: port: paddr 00:50:56:e9:19:8c
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: Hub 1
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: Port 0
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: VNetUserIfFree: freeing userIf at 0x3a9b300.
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: netif-vmnet1: Adding protocol 2.
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: VNetUserIf_Create: created userIf at 0x3a9b100.
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: VMNetConnect: returning port 0x3a9b100
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: VMNET_SO_BINDTOHUB: port: paddr 00:50:56:fd:00:54
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: Hub 1
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: Port 0
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM kernel vmnet: Port 1
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM mDNSResponder[23] Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default “Macintosh-005056C00008” instead
    4/27/08 2:05:43 PM mDNSResponder[23] Couldn't read user-specified local hostname; using default “Macintosh-005056C00008.local” instead
    4/27/08 2:05:46 PM kextd[10] writing kernel link data to /var/run/mach.sym
    4/27/08 2:05:48 PM kernel yukon: Ethernet address 00:16:cb:cc:7f:11
    4/27/08 2:05:48 PM kernel AirPort_Athr5424ab: Ethernet address 00:16:cb:bf:a5:1b
    4/27/08 2:05:50 PM kernel display: Not usable
    4/27/08 2:05:50 PM kernel E:[AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController][StartInterruptPipeRead] there is alredy a pending read, skipping.
    4/27/08 2:05:50 PM kernel [InterruptReadHandler] Received kIODeviceNotResponding error - retrying: 1.
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM loginwindow[24] Login Window Started Security Agent
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM configd[35] setting hostname to "Macintosh-10.local"
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM mDNSResponder[23] User updated Computer Name from Macintosh-005056C00008 to Matthew Gilpin’s Computer
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM mDNSResponder[23] User updated Local Hostname from Macintosh-005056C00008 to Macintosh-10
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM SecurityAgent[111] User info context values set
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM kernel AirPort: Link Up on en1
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM SecurityAgent[111] Login Window done
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM loginwindow[24] Login Window - Returned from Security Agent
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM loginwindow[24] USER_PROCESS: 24 console
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.UserEventAgent-LoginWindow[106]) Exited: Terminated
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[112] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init_per_user.d/PCIESlotCheck.plist
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[112] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init_per_user.d/RemoteUI.plist
    4/27/08 2:05:51 PM com.apple.launchd[95] (0x101190.PCIESlotCheck) Failed to check-in!
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM mDNSResponder[23] SetupAddr invalid sa_family 0
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM kernel vmnet: VNetUserIf_Create: created userIf at 0x3e03100.
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM kernel vmnet: VMNetConnect: returning port 0x3e03100
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM kernel vmnet: Hub 0 does not exist, allocating memory.
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM kernel vmnet: Allocated hub 0x3dc8000 for hubNum 0.
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM kernel vmnet: VMNET_SO_BINDTOHUB: port: paddr 00:50:56:ec:ce:18
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM kernel vmnet: Hub 0
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM kernel vmnet: Port 0
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM kernel vmnet: bridge-en1: got dev 0x3a31004
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM kernel vmnet: bridge-en1: wireless interface detected.
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM kernel vmnet: bridge-en1: up
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM kernel vmnet: bridge-en1: attached
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM kernel vmnet: VNetUserIfFree: freeing userIf at 0x3e03100.
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] Loading VBoxDrv.kext
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM sudo[129] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/kextload /System/Library/Extensions/speedit.kext
    4/27/08 2:05:52 PM configd[35] setting hostname to "macbook.usc.edu"
    4/27/08 2:05:53 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/coreservicesd[45] SFLSharePointsEntry::CreateDSRecord: dsCreateRecordAndOpen(Matthew Gilpin's Public Folder) returned -14135
    4/27/08 2:05:53 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] kextload serialization lock busy; sleeping (88 retries left)
    4/27/08 2:05:54 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] kextload: /Library/Extensions/VBoxDrv.kext loaded successfully
    4/27/08 2:05:54 PM kernel supdrvGipInit: pGip=0x3f0ca000 HCPhys=1c88b000 u64NanoTS=32304978085 uUpdateHz=100
    4/27/08 2:05:54 PM mDNSResponder[23] SetupAddr invalid sa_family 0
    4/27/08 2:05:54 PM kernel VBoxDrv: Successfully started. (major=19)
    4/27/08 2:05:55 PM com.apple.SystemStarter[17] kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/speedit.kext is already loaded
    4/27/08 2:05:55 PM kernel SpeedIt Kext is loading!
    4/27/08 2:05:55 PM kernel Supported states
    4/27/08 2:06:27 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] BootCacheControl: could not fetch history: Cannot allocate memory
    4/27/08 2:06:27 PM com.apple.launchctl.System[2] BootCacheControl: could not stop cache/fetch history: Cannot allocate memory
    4/27/08 2:06:55 PM mdworker[98] (Error) SyncInfo: Boot-cache avoidance timed out!

It looks like BootCacheControl is struggling for some reason.

I'm also really curious as to what that adium error is.

Also that VMWare fusion shit. I stopped using that months ago, gotta get rid of that.

EDIT: i deleted VMware from my apps folder a long ass time ago, however, i just drug it to the trash, i didn't app zapp it. It looks like it is some how fully starting and assigning itself IP addresses which would explain my slowdown. How do i get rid of this business?

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "you are now running on reserve power"

is there really some sort of auxiliary battery, or is it just a plain old 10 minutes left on my main and only battery?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    contraband wrote: »
    "you are now running on reserve power"

is there really some sort of auxiliary battery, or is it just a plain old 10 minutes left on my main and only battery?

No. There is just 10 minutes left.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    well, that's the first time i've ever seen it been called "reserve power." elsewhere you get the standard "you are low on battery power." i have to admit the whole dual-battery concept is a little hairbrained but their wordage left me wonderin'.

also of note i found out how to display the full date, day of the week, and time in my menu, and i am happy.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    KevarKevar regular
    edited April 2008
    so I have a presentation for a class tuesday and there's a visual element (pictures / video) to go along with the speech. I don't have powerpoint. is there any mac program I can use to get this done, and is it possible to export it into something i can stick on a flashdrive and use on windows (like the equivalent of an rtf)? I basically just need a slideshow with cited photographs. (or is there an easy way to hook my macbook pro up to a projector?)

Kevar on
This discussion has been closed.