Options

Thread Left 4 Dead; make a new Dead Thread 4 Dead

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    God I love this game. Instead of posting about how awesome it is like I was going to, here's a screenshot of all three survivors getting mauled at once when a couple of us from Armadeaddon pubstomped some poor people.
    l4dvshospital01apartmennz5.jpg

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do you guys know if all the Left 4 Dead movie posters are sold out? I wanted to order the 4-pack, hopefully it'd get here before New Year's, but I think they're all sold out? The Valve store just returns an error when I go to buy :(

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just picked up What Are You Trying to Prove. I hate the Blood Harvest finale on expert. 3 hours and 15 minutes total. Would have been quicker, but there was a lot of friendly fire, which drew retaliatory friendly fire.

I would like to confirm though, that you CAN go idle, and still get the achievement. I had to go idle for about 10 minutes when we first got to the finale. Many many many attempts later, when I (and two others) were on the APC and driving off, I got the achievement confirmation.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rami wrote: »
    God I love this game. Instead of posting about how awesome it is like I was going to, here's a screenshot of all three survivors getting mauled at once when a couple of us from Armadeaddon pubstomped some poor people.
    Omnomnomnomnomnom

Louis is dead in that picture.

He was hunter'd just around the corner from the rest of the survivor team while there was a horde, Zoey came to help him after 15 seconds, and she was hunter'd to, even closer to the doorway separating the two rooms.

30 seconds later Louis is dead, and they bolt over to help up Zoey.

Pubs are so horrible it makes me cry.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I still maintain that replacing the tank theme with the Benny Hill theme is the best thing going.

Watching that guy running around, punting people off buildings while the survivors are running around like crazy, with all the while Yakkety Sax playin' the background is just the best ever.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I dont understand how people can complete campaigns in over 2 hours.

Seriously, by that point I really just want to play something else.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, sometimes depending on the team (RACOON I'm looking at you), you tend to have a lot of idle time sitting in an abandonded house threatening to incap an idle-bot if it tries to shoot a zombie with that thar shotgun.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The best thing would be replacing the normal zombie/horde voices with hobos begging for change.

Blakout on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had a very satisfying experience with the Hunter the other day. On the No Mercy Finale, all 4 survivors have just climbed up the ladder and are dealing with the usual infected shenanigans on that little roof. They're doing alright up until one of them misteps and ends up hanging off the air conditioning unit that's just a little step down from the roof (off to the right coming up the ladder).

Naturally, somebody goes to help him up. Unfortunately, the second player also misjudges that little step and ends up hanging off the edge right next to his buddy. The three other infected players have all just been killed, so it doesn't seem like a disastrous situation. The last two survivors walk on over to help out their buddies.

Then I spawn behind a vent, wait till both are right near the edge, and pounce the guy closest to me. Now a third survivor stumbles back over the ledge and is hanging on for dear life. All three had a very nice show while I shredded Bill not a foot from their faces as they hung off the same AC unit. Easily the most hilarious infected win I've yet to see. I doubt they found the situation as amusing as I did.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I fucking HATE that air conditioner.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh my fucking god I hate it when I go idle with 60 health and the god damned bot heals. RAGE

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would like to make this public service announcement, even though all of you people already know this.

If a smoker has someone smokered, bound, taught, and is deathkilling them, please for the love of sweet zombie Jesus do not "add to the damage".

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would like to make this public service announcement, even though all of you people already know this.

If a smoker has someone smokered, bound, taught, and is deathkilling them, please for the love of sweet zombie Jesus do not "add to the damage".

What's wrong with a hunter running up to a smokered target and meleeing him to get him down into incapacitated, or even better from incapped to dead? Sometimes this is the best or only option, and it's infinitely better to kill 1 survivor than incap 2.

Unless you mean "Don't pounce on him", 'cause I hate when people do that.

Rius on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    expendable wrote: »
    I just picked up What Are You Trying to Prove. I hate the Blood Harvest finale on expert. 3 hours and 15 minutes total. Would have been quicker, but there was a lot of friendly fire, which drew retaliatory friendly fire.

I would like to confirm though, that you CAN go idle, and still get the achievement. I had to go idle for about 10 minutes when we first got to the finale. Many many many attempts later, when I (and two others) were on the APC and driving off, I got the achievement confirmation.

Tip for Co-op Blood Harvest finale: everyone grab autoshotguns and go camp in the barn. Go to the upper floor, then have 2 guard the ladder and 2 guard the roof hole opening. There's plenty of space to spread out, and the special infected go up the ladder 90% of the time. Hunters may leap from the roof opening though. I did this with 3 pubbies last night, was a blast. Even survived 2 tank encounters (one was actually chasing me, thank fuck he missed his swing) and made it to the vehicle without any deaths :^:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rius wrote: »

What's wrong with a hunter running up to a smokered target and meleeing him to get him down into incapacitated, or even better from incapped to dead? Sometimes this is the best or only option, and it's infinitely better to kill 1 survivor than incap 2.

Unless you mean "Don't pounce on him", 'cause I hate when people do that.

If the opportunity to speed up the kill presents itself, I am absolutely running up and swiping at that bastard.

This should not be at the expense of being ready to pounce the first survivor who tries to save him, though.

Ein on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hunters can't break the smoker's tongue with their swipes, can they? They can break the smoker's hold if they hit the smoker himself though, right?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This script was posted in the last thread, and was found on fpsbanana I think.

This is a toggle script so you will need to replace mouse5 with the key of your choice to turn it on and off. When it's turned on you can hold down your fire button and it will cause your weapon to repeatedly fire. I have this in an autoexec.cfg file found in \steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\cfg

It works very good with dual pistols, but there is no faster rate of fire with a single pistol. With the dual pistols in a hallway or chokepoint, you can stop an attacking horde about as easily as with an uzi. Holding the button empties the clips real fast, but it also really screws up long distance accuracy.

Using the script doesn't interfere (much) with any of the primary guns. I've never noticed anything with the hunting rifle but every once in a while the uzi or assault rifle will burst 4-5 shots rather than a constant stream if you hold the button. It doesn't mess with the pump shotgun, but sometimes the autoshotty will double burst real quickly.

The biggest downside of this script is that there is no visual indicator of it's on/off state. Healthpacks can't be used when the script is on because you just start and restart healing, and when playing infected, you'll want to have this turned off.

// AutoPistol Toggle
    // original autopistol function credit to ESSOBIE
    alias _apistolOFF "bind mouse1 +attack"
    alias _apistolON "bind mouse1 +apistol"

alias _autooff "_apistolOFF"
    alias _autoon "_apistolON"

alias +apistol "alias repeat_function +repeat; +repeat"
    alias -apistol "alias repeat_function stoprepeating"
    alias repeat_function "+repeat"
    alias +repeat "+attack; wait 2; -repeat"
    alias -repeat "-attack; wait 2; repeat_function"

//loop toggle autofire
    alias _toggle_AP autopistolON
    alias autopistolON "_autooff; alias _toggle_AP autopistolOFF"
    alias autopistolOFF "_autoon; alias _toggle_AP autopistolON"
    bind mouse5 _toggle_AP
    autopistolON

If someone knows how, I would really like this script to operate a bit differently. It would be perfect if pressing the 2 key turned it on and any other number key turned it off.

You can probably just do something like this...
    alias "num1" "slot1; autopistolOFF"
    alias "num2" "slot2; autopistolON"
    alias "num3" "slot3; autopistolOFF"
    alias "num4" "slot4; autopistolOFF"
    alias "num5" "slot5; autopistolOFF"
    alias "num6" "slot6; autopistolOFF"
    alias "num7" "slot7; autopistolOFF"
    alias "num8" "slot8; autopistolOFF"
    alias "num9" "slot9; autopistolOFF"
    alias "num0" "slot0; autopistolOFF"
    alias "swapPrimary" "alias quicktoggle swapSecondary; num1"
    alias "swapSecondary" "alias quicktoggle swapPrimary; num2"
    alias "quicktoggle" "swapSecondary"

bind "1" "num1"
    bind "2" "num2"
    bind "3" "num3"
    bind "4" "num4"
    bind "5" "num5"
    bind "6" "num6"
    bind "7" "num7"
    bind "8" "num8"
    bind "9" "num9"
    bind "0" "num0"
    bind "q" "quicktoggle"

The quicktoggle, swapSecondary, swapPrimary stuff is so that pressing Q will still do it's thing, you don't have to include that if you don't want to but I use Q all the time. Also, I haven't tested this, so it may not work. The num1 stuff is pretty straight forward so I think that would still do the trick. Dying or picking up stuff with your pistols out may screw up stuff, but tapping Q a couple times should fix that. Besides, if you pick up a gas tank, it's not like rapid firing it is going to do anything different other than just tapping fire once. I have weapon specific binds in TF2 and these are the kind of hoops I have to jump through for it.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Hunters can't break the smoker's tongue with their swipes, can they? They can break the smoker's hold if they hit the smoker himself though, right?

Once when I was a hunter and the smoker had the survivor pulled right up to him I hit the survivor and I broke the hold.

Me-Survivor-Smoker

It also once happened when I was the survivor what as constricted. I think that's what he meant.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hope Valve patches in a "Let go" button. So that if you are hanging off something you can let go if you want. (Like if its only a 3 foot drop) That air conditioner thing while funny is pretty stupid.

Also what are your guys thoughts about using the closet waiting for the elevator. I used to use it, but it makes that part so boring. There is no challenge for the survivors, and the infected can't really do anything but wait or die. Now I only use it if my team refuses to leave or we are really hurt.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hate using the closet. I don't want to use it. It's cheap and boring for everyone involved. It's not that difficult to defend at the elevator and you can get inside immediately once it opens.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm hoping Valve patches in some changes for melee and the closet. Fixing melee corners/closets will make vs. actually fun again.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    martymarty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah rak is a real douche when he goes afk for god knows how long

sup

blunt

brb

food

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The biggest pile of bullshit is the metal ramp in the final level of no mercy hospital, it's impossible to harm the survivors under there. I can live with the closet because with coordinate boomer stun efforts we've managed to drag people out of the closet and ding some health off them, but the no mercy ramp thing is just so contrary to fun that it makes me want to up and quit.

override367 on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Melees of any kind except from normal infected and the Smoker himself break the bind. I ran up to a smokered survivor as a boomer and slashed him for 2 damage and it broke the hold.

If you're going for an incap, that's cool and fine, but usually if someone is smokered long enough to take damage from it, the rest of the team's got other problems. Namely you, as a hunter. If you're going to hit the survivor just because, you're leaving the smoker useless for 15 seconds while he recharges.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Boomering a smoked person or an incapped person whilst the rest of the team have their hands full (ie: tank) is the greatest thing.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Boomering a smoked person or an incapped person whilst the rest of the team have their hands full (ie: tank) is the greatest thing.

it also seals their doom if they're incapped unless a teammate is close

MrDelish on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, well if you're playing against guys from Armadeaddon, precious few will sink so low as to use it. And why would you be playing against pubbies anyhow?

Here, this should brighten your day.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The biggest pile of bullshit is the metal ramp in the final level of no mercy hospital, it's impossible to harm the survivors under there. I can live with the closet because with coordinate boomer stun efforts we've managed to drag people out of the closet and ding some health off them, but the no mercy ramp thing is just so contrary to fun that it makes me want to up and quit.

People using hiding under the ramp (especially PAers) is about the only thing that will get me to rage quit. Valve took the closets out of No Mercy for a reason, hopefully they fix the ramp soon :x

Other closets in the game don't really bother me, because most of the time the survivors do need to come out of the closet at some point....and that's when you bring out the surprise sex :winky:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As a hunter, if you melee the survivor, it will contribute damage to the survivor and not harm the hold (same thing if a fellow hunter has pounced someone). I've never actually hit a smoker while he's strangling someone (ultimate dick move considering how hard it is to get a good hold of someone).

Same if you explode near a smoker as a boomer, he will lose grip. Hunters will get knocked off survivors (and can run away!) and the tank gets stunned for a good 5 or 6 seconds. Witches will also right out die if a boomer explodes near them. Maybe it was coincidental and she was weak every time, but I've seen boomers explode next to witches at least 6 or 7 times, and she dies immediately every time. The only down side is the guy she's tearing up will get a puke blanket.

If you can kill a boomer near a tank, DO IT.

I think I only ragequit if someone is playing like a fucking idiot, which is pretty common, and almost entirely pub games.
    I don't like hiding in closets, it's not that fun to do. However, If my entire team is doing it, I'll be damned if I'm going to be the schmuck outside "playing fair".
    Doesn't really make me angry when people do it though. I just prefer that they wouldn't.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Melees of any kind except from normal infected and the Smoker himself break the bind. I ran up to a smokered survivor as a boomer and slashed him for 2 damage and it broke the hold.

If you're going for an incap, that's cool and fine, but usually if someone is smokered long enough to take damage from it, the rest of the team's got other problems. Namely you, as a hunter. If you're going to hit the survivor just because, you're leaving the smoker useless for 15 seconds while he recharges.

I'm not so sure about that. On the 360, I run up to dangled survivors and slash them all the time. I've never released someone as a result. We should test it sometime, on a private server.

Sometimes it is just better to help claw, than to pounce a rescuer. For example, often times (re: No Mercy 3/5 alleys) one person will get smoked way behind and the other three survivors are together. If I pounced the first guy coming to save him, I'd get knocked off/killed within seconds, followed by the smoker, as the three are traveling in a pack to save him. The smoker on his own does very little damage, and in that time would have had little effect. On the other hand, with alt-fire claw, I can easily get in 100 dmg before they get to him.

Endaro on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.

Last night, all of the Armadeaddon servers that were meant to be on Versus were stuck on some strange pseudo Versus-against-Bots setting.

They'd all show as Co-op, a team'd join, play the survivors... then become Infected versus a bunch of bots. And when you killed 'em all, it wouldn't go to the next session. Anyone know what causes this, or how to fix it? You couldn't call a 'return to Lobby' vote, all you could change were difficulty (which we did) and scenario (which we also did).

Kay2 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Yeah, well if you're playing against guys from Armadeaddon, precious few will sink so low as to use it. And why would you be playing against pubbies anyhow?

Here, this should brighten your day.
    That's exquisite

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hate being the only guy not wanting to hide in the closet. I just end up walking into the room and bitch for two minutes because I also want to not die because my team is a bunch of pansies.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    SprkFadeSprkFade Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Went from 180 to 178 last night after trying the game and having really bad stuttering problems.

178 seems to have fixed it.

No idea if anyone is still having this problem, but disabling Multicore Rendering in the options fixes the stuttering/lockup problems even while using the 180 drivers.

SprkFade on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SprkFade wrote: »
    Went from 180 to 178 last night after trying the game and having really bad stuttering problems.

No idea if anyone is still having this problem, but disabling Multicore Rendering in the options fixes the stuttering/lockup problems even while using the 180 drivers.

Didnt for me sadly. Still getting lockups, using Ati 8.12 :(

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm hoping Valve patches in some changes for melee and the closet. Fixing melee corners/closets will make vs. actually fun again.

Versus is fun. You have to remember, Versus is still all about the survivors. It's the story of the survivors, they are the main characters in the movie, the Infected are just supporting cast. That's why survivor points count and infected points don't. The problem is, people are better at playing survivor than infected. All the times I've been trounced in versus is because there is almost no communication on the Infected side of things. The thing about corners and closets is, they're stationary, and the Survivors have a very definite destination in mind. They have to move at some point, so stop being completely stupid and throwing yourselves against an entrenched position one at a time. There are ways to break it up and get some good damage in on corners and closets, IF YOU ARE COORDINATED, but I prefer to just wait until they move again.

I know you didn't make this point, but some people also want the smoker and hunter to be able to release their victims. I hope above all else that this doesn't happen. It doesn't make sense at all. You are playing a creature that has been infected with a disease, the nature of which makes you incredibly violent and has stripped away your personality and humanity. So why would you run away if you've got one in your grip and are finally satisfying your bloodlust?

Besides, can you imagine how easily a decent pair of hunters could destroy a team of survivors? Land a big damage pounce, then immediately leap away. Rinse. Repeat.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »

Do you have XP Sp3? It seems to be the one common thing with people having this problem. Then again, when I had it, I was on XP64 which is not the same as XP Sp3.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    SprkFadeSprkFade Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »

Here's a few other solutions, hopefully one of these will work for you:

Try typing "mat_queue_mode 0" (minus the quotes) in the console.

Try setting Shader Detail to Medium. (graphics setting).

Try setting sound quality to medium.

1) Start the game
    2) Alt-Tab to the desktop. <Or press the windows key>
    3) Bring up the task manager < Ctrl-Alt-Del>
    4) Click the Processes Tab
    5) Click Image Name at the top of the list of Processes to Order by name.
    6) Find left4dead.exe and right click on it
    7) Select 'Set Affinity'
    8) Uncheck boxes Leaving only one box checked and click okay.

SprkFade on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I want them to chang up reloading and meleeing. Being able to melee while reloading seems a bit ridiculous, and it completely trivialises fighting hordes. It also makes boomer pointless against a team that isn't stupid, i've had plenty of times when i've gunked 3-4 people and got 0 points because they just stand by a wall and hold right click.

I think if a certain amount of zombies are attacking you in melee, there should be some kind of risk of getting pinned as if a hunter had jumped you, but with 3 zombies piling on you instead.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif