As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »
    To the dudes asking about my beloved Barrovian Society...

I logged on today as Edros for the first time in ages, and when I glanced at the kinship list, it would appear that everyone has died. There might have been 3 people who had been online anywhere close to recently. It saddened me, being one of the founding members, and basically the creator of the kinship. I can't believe it's become so utterly...dead.

It's been so long since I've moved forward with Edros, it's like I'm completely lost. I have no idea what to do with him. All the quests I have are ones I've had on there for well over a year, and I just feel like my head is spinning trying to figure out which way to go next. I love the character to death. He was my first character from all the way back in Closed Beta, so I really don't want to stop playing him all together, but it looks like I'm just going to have to move on and start anew.

What level is he? I'm always down to play or help with quests just let me know. And to the guy asking about a trial, PM'd!

Edros is level 29. I was going strong, set to ding 40 in no time at all, when I just...stopped playing. Shortly after that, so did the rest of the kinship, heh.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kilroy wrote: »
    So is there a trick to the Yule dancing instructor quests that I'm missing? Because I keep failing them and it's quite annoying.

I want to dance like a hobbit, dammit!

You have to keep the dance instructor targeted.

Then type either

/dance1

/dance2

/dance3

The targeting thing was the trick for me.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I guess that explains why my friend got kicked off and couldn't log back in. And why a lot of people that were online were complaining about weird bugs.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Best Buy has Mines of Moria for $19.99 this week, if anyone is interested in trying it, thats only $5 more than the cost of a month of play anyways. Trials be damned, buy it.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So after a day of owning Moria, I've got to say I'm not impressed with the Rune Keeper class. Warden seems fairly awesome, but RK seems weak.

Triple B on
  • Options
    MatsuhitoMatsuhito Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I subscribed and downloaded last night/this morning at like 5:30. Started a human champion on Landroval named Matsuhito. I also apparently have a dwarf ranger (? the guy with the bow) from when I played a free trial a long time ago.

Matsuhito on
  • Options
    theconductor221theconductor221 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    what server is everyone on? im gonna try the free trial, and one last thing, do people actually, like, communicate in this game? One of the big reasons i play MMO's (and I think most people) is just to talk to people about gaming and what not.

thanks!

theconductor221 on
  • Options
    MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As far as I know, The Barovian Society is still on Landroval. I'm not in it, but I've been considering leaving my current Kinship to join up with people I have something in common with ;)

I'm picking up Mines of Moria tomorrow and plan on starting fresh with a Warden, at any rate; since I just re-sub'd a week and a half ago.
    Best Buy has Mines of Moria for $19.99 this week, if anyone is interested in trying it, thats only $5 more than the cost of a month of play anyways. Trials be damned, buy it.

Hot damn, just my luck :)

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Morithain wrote: »
    As far as I know, The Barovian Society is still on Landroval. I'm not in it, but I've been considering leaving my current Kinship to join up with people I have something in common with ;)

TBS might not be the right kinship for you, then...seeing as you actually play the game from time to time.

It's literally...so dead. I could say there are no active members and I wouldn't be exaggerating. I could say there might be 3 active members, and I would be exaggerating.

Triple B on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Kilroy wrote: »
    So is there a trick to the Yule dancing instructor quests that I'm missing? Because I keep failing them and it's quite annoying.

I want to dance like a hobbit, dammit!

You have to keep the dance instructor targeted.

Then type either

/dance1

/dance2

/dance3

The targeting thing was the trick for me.

Ah, thank you. That was what I was doing wrong.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

TBS might not be the right kinship for you, then...seeing as you actually play the game from time to time.

It's literally...so dead. I could say there are no active members and I wouldn't be exaggerating. I could say there might be 3 active members, and I would be exaggerating.

Yeah, I just got invited to the Kinship tonight, but may look around at other kinships on the server, as theres only like 5 or 6 people that have even logged on in the past month in TBS. But for now, its not a high priority, I'm still just enjoying running around soloing everything in The Shire.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, I am still playing this game solo. I'm not looking for groups and dealing iwth people dropping out or just plain sucking. I am at Book 1, Chapter 11 which is a group quest. Is there a way to get to Book 2 without finishing Book 1?

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, I am still playing this game solo. I'm not looking for groups and dealing iwth people dropping out or just plain sucking. I am at Book 1, Chapter 11 which is a group quest. Is there a way to get to Book 2 without finishing Book 1?

Probably not, there are a few cases where you can start the next bookbefore finising the last but it's rare and happens much later on than book 1.
    Is it that tough finding a group, I'm over on EU servers here there's loads of players starting up new characters due to the two new classes and character slots MoM added so it's fairly easy to get one (alternatively if you have a high level friend they could solo it with you in tow).

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Barney, what server are you on? I'm on Evernight.

t DrunkMc: that chapter only takes something like 15 minutes, if you can't find a FS for that I must advice you to look for a more populated server. Also: I don't know if it's just my server being full of old English men with moustaches and monocles, but every FS I've been in has been very helpful, responsive and competent. It does help when you're in a kinship, of course.

Aldo on
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »

Yeah, I just got invited to the Kinship tonight, but may look around at other kinships on the server, as theres only like 5 or 6 people that have even logged on in the past month in TBS. But for now, its not a high priority, I'm still just enjoying running around soloing everything in The Shire.

I've been in the kinship for a few weeks, and play most nights for a few hours (5-ish to 9-ish CT). In game name is Dedian - 31 Champ... I should probably start looking for more groups. 31/40 or whatever quests, and most of them are fellowship. I've gotten in the habbit of just cancelling group quests, as I buy better equipment on the AH :D

Dedian on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Some books let you skip ahead, some don't unfortunately you have to do 1.11 before you can move on to book 2. Though because of that a lot of people do that particular quest so when you are in breeland throw a LFF for 1.11 and you'll usually net a couple, it only takes 2 or 3 guys to knock out.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was given a 14 day trial key and have downloaded and installed and patched the game. I was sitting on character select trying to decide what I want to be.

I've read the in-game class descriptions, as well as the descriptions in the OP of this thread to help me understand the roles.

I'm thinking of either rolling a minstrel or a captain. I enjoy support roles, and I play a rogue in WoW so I'm looking for a change of pace.

In regards to both of the above mentioned classes, I have a couple questions:
    -How fun are they to play? Is it more of a chore than a fun time?
    -How common are minstrels/captains in terms of class population? I would prefer to be a class that is high in demand, as opposed to a class that's a "dime a dozen."
    -In terms of long term viability, are these classes good from the early levels all the way to the end game? As a WoW player, I have an innate fear that some classes become less useful, or redundant at the higher levels.
    -Are Minstrels/Captains easy to level? Or do they require a partner or group?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I was given a 14 day trial key and have downloaded and installed and patched the game. I was sitting on character select trying to decide what I want to be.

I've read the in-game class descriptions, as well as the descriptions in the OP of this thread to help me understand the roles.

I'm thinking of either rolling a minstrel or a captain. I enjoy support roles, and I play a rogue in WoW so I'm looking for a change of pace.

In regards to both of the above mentioned classes, I have a couple questions:
    -How fun are they to play? Is it more of a chore than a fun time?
    -How common are minstrels/captains in terms of class population? I would prefer to be a class that is high in demand, as opposed to a class that's a "dime a dozen."
    -In terms of long term viability, are these classes good from the early levels all the way to the end game? As a WoW player, I have an innate fear that some classes become less useful, or redundant at the higher levels.
    -Are Minstrels/Captains easy to level? Or do they require a partner or group?

Captains are better solo, and in groups they are extremely useful (most of the time in Moria instances there was a captain in the successful groups). Minstrels struggle solo and while they are useful for groups you don't normally group a lot till 58+ and no one will help you get there outside of a strong kin. So based on your play style I'd say go captain all the way.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks Preacher. I was leaning towards Captain anyway. The game mechanics, as I understand them, sound truly interesting, and should be a nice change of pace.

One last question. . .I am wanting to do some actual in-character roleplaying. That's one thing that I feel is sorely missing in WoW, and one reason why I'm looking for a change. In LotRO are there any dedicated RP servers, or RP guilds that you know about or anything of that nature?

Basically, I'm getting burned out on the raiding grind in WoW, and I'm wanting to make a complete change of pace. I'm hoping to take my time with LotRO, enjoy the quests and the scenery, and make some good friends and enjoy the social aspects. I'm just not getting that in WoW. I like my WoW guild, but I'm sick of the end game.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I've heard landroval? Is the rp server, I could be wrong there is a non sanctioned one that RP play on. Personally LOTRO has a lot of things that allow for easy roleplay, outfits, a spot to put an extended player bio etc. So even if everyone doesn't rp with you, they have created a system to make rp very easy.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    okay bought the whole thing for 20 bucks at Best Buy, what server is the most populated and everyone seems to be on?

theconductor221 on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think landroval is a fairly large server. Me and Preach are on vilya though... and we are totally awesome.

We're in seperate kins though

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Landroval is awesome. Just beware the bad RPers that write small novels when describing themselves pissing in a corner. Seriously. PAGES OF PISS. EVERYWHERE.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Could somebody hook me up with a trial key? The instruments alone sold me on the game, would love to give it a shot.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think landroval is a fairly large server. Me and Preach are on vilya though... and we are totally awesome.

I swear I just want to leave my kin but like the two dudes who are in it would be sad I was gone. I've been playing my hunter a little as of late got him up to 20. I like the hunters I've seen in moria instances because they are like god on this earth and I know of at least a couple fights its hard as hell without one.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    there are sooo many updates, but i plan on going Dwarf rune keeper b/c i played shaman in wow

theconductor221 on
  • Options
    blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

I swear I just want to leave my kin but like the two dudes who are in it would be sad I was gone. I've been playing my hunter a little as of late got him up to 20. I like the hunters I've seen in moria instances because they are like god on this earth and I know of at least a couple fights its hard as hell without one.

simple solution to a simple problem... invite the two dudes into your new Kin :)

blindside044 on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just so everyone knows, if you have a BIG LOTS! near you, they have been stocking copies of LOTRO for $6 USD, I could not find this deal on their website but others may have luck (its kind of a cluster eff of a website).

I instantly purchased 1 for myself and 2 as gifts and have recruited 2 friends via this easy method of mmo-taming. I suggest if you have one of these "BIG LOTS!" in your local area, that you pick up 1 or 2 as good gifts to those that need a better MMO.

To sum up what I'm saying, BIG LOTS! has LOTRO for $6 USD, and the one near me had quite a few of them, so I'm guessing its something they stocked up on (along with Quake 4 and a few other games).

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just so everyone knows, if you have a BIG LOTS! near you, they have been stocking copies of LOTRO for $6 USD, I could not find this deal on their website but others may have luck (its kind of a cluster eff of a website).

I instantly purchased 1 for myself and 2 as gifts and have recruited 2 friends via this easy method of mmo-taming. I suggest if you have one of these "BIG LOTS!" in your local area, that you pick up 1 or 2 as good gifts to those that need a better MMO.

To sum up what I'm saying, BIG LOTS! has LOTRO for $6 USD, and the one near me had quite a few of them, so I'm guessing its something they stocked up on (along with Quake 4 and a few other games).

$6 is a good deal if you're not planning on heading into Moria anytime soon (or have no intentions of starting with the new classes), but at $20 at Best Buy you might as well just pay more since the Moria box comes with Shadows of Angmar and Moria (saving you the trouble of having to buy Moria later). It's currently backorderd online but all the stores around my zip seems to have it in-stock so most likely anyone shouldn't have a trouble finding one in your area.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ah, did not know about the better deal! You have one upped me good sir!
    (in all seriousness thanks, will be getting that as soon as its avail. since I had not gotten Moria yet)

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I played LOTRO for the first 2 months of release or so. (Got a Champion to L35 if I remember correctly)

How does the game shape up nowadays? I originally got bored and quit bc the classes were poorly defined and fellowship combat was really clunky and just didn't mesh well.

JediNight on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JediNight wrote: »
    I played LOTRO for the first 2 months of release or so. (Got a Champion to L35 if I remember correctly)

How does the game shape up nowadays? I originally got bored and quit bc the classes were poorly defined and fellowship combat was really clunky and just didn't mesh well.
    That are some very vague complaints. Champion now has a very defined role as melee dps. FS combat has not made me sigh in desperation, so I guess that's good too.

Aldo on
  • Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Has anyone got a spare buddy key available? I would like to see what all the fuss is about.

pantsy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sending now.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the info all on not being able to get ot Chapter 2 without doing 1.11.

It's not that I can't find a group, I was just trying to play this game as much as possible without a group. But oh well, I see the LFM 1.11 all the time, I'll just join it up. I was afraid it'd be like a long ass instance that people will drop out of and such, but it sounds like it's a quick thing.

I will check it out.

P.S. A hobbit with a bow, that stabs it's enemy in the eye then shoots them with that arrow is BAD ASS!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    logothesialogothesia Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm pretty sure you can have books 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 open simultaneously assuming you're the right level to get the chapter 1 quest. If you're the right level, head to Ost Guruth and talk to Radagast in the tower. He should give you book 2 chapter 1 without finishing book 1. I have several characters that never did book 1.

Book 5 requires book 4, and then 7-15 must be completed in order.

logothesia on
    RootworkSummerCampaignBadge.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the info all on not being able to get ot Chapter 2 without doing 1.11.

It's not that I can't find a group, I was just trying to play this game as much as possible without a group. But oh well, I see the LFM 1.11 all the time, I'll just join it up. I was afraid it'd be like a long ass instance that people will drop out of and such, but it sounds like it's a quick thing.

I will check it out.

P.S. A hobbit with a bow, that stabs it's enemy in the eye then shoots them with that arrow is BAD ASS!

It's a bad idea to avoid others, if only because why play an MMO to play solo?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Champs also tank in moria, they do decent at holding aggro and most healers can keep them up as good as a guard (which has guards feeling pretty left out as aside from a couple specific fights where the mob just hits far too hard the champ is the superior tank).

If any game I've felt that LOTRO has some of the best grouping, because all the classes offer something to the group and make an encounter easier (burgs debuff and can increase damage dealt to a mob as well as cc humanoids/undead, lore masters do good cc and can remove diseases, hunters also have cc great burst dps and sustained dps) etc etc.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well how can one role play being anti social unless there are folks around to notice you being anti social?

Also: man now I have to re-watch that supernatural episode thanks to your location.. you wonderful bastard.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Glad to be of help!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net