Options

Dead Space Wii announced

• Options
    Genji GlovesGenji Gloves ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Evangir wrote: »
    Oh, so Dead Space is a survival horror? I didn't know.

Interest just dropped to zero for me.

It's as much an action game as Survival Horror. A better looking, better controlling, better sounding RE4 with a mostly coherent story.

I am the only person on the planet who hates 4RE. Suffice it to say, I am not sold yet.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »
    Perhaps, as Glal pointed out (sorry for quoting you at the wrong time), I'm not the target audience for this and it's for people who don't own PS3/360s, and that's fine, but as person who does, my reaction to this announcement is skepticism and a general "I'd rather see EA do something else on the Wii." Not, I hope you'll note, "how dare Wii people get excited" or "The Wii sucks."

What's wrong with a PS360Wii owner wanting an entirely new game in a franchise they enjoy that leverages the advantages of the entirely different system?

I'm sure you'd like Dead Space 2 on PS360 or whatever that takes advantage of those systems, but why couldn't lots of people with the first - or people who don't have the other - be interested in an entirely new experience?
    I'm not saying people shouldn't be interested in it, especially not people who haven't played the first game, just that it'll be hard to play a new game in a series with degraded visuals after having played the first one.

It's not that the game shouldn't exist, I'd just rather see something else personally.

Well...I mean...they're still making DS2 and that'll have all the shiny so you don't have to worry.

And I mean if you personally don't want to play the game, you can just read up on a wiki about what happens then jump right into the sequel.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

It's as much an action game as Survival Horror. A better looking, better controlling, better sounding RE4 with a mostly coherent story.

I am the only person on the planet who hates 4RE. Suffice it to say, I am not sold yet.

What specifically did you hate about it? I can tell you if DS does it better! :)

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Perhaps, as Glal pointed out (sorry for quoting you at the wrong time), I'm not the target audience for this and it's for people who don't own PS3/360s, and that's fine, but as person who does, my reaction to this announcement is skepticism and a general "I'd rather see EA do something else on the Wii." Not, I hope you'll note, "how dare Wii people get excited" or "The Wii sucks."

What's wrong with a PS360Wii owner wanting an entirely new game in a franchise they enjoy that leverages the advantages of the entirely different system?

I'm sure you'd like Dead Space 2 on PS360 or whatever that takes advantage of those systems, but why couldn't lots of people with the first - or people who don't have the other - be interested in an entirely new experience?
    I'm not saying people shouldn't be interested in it, especially not people who haven't played the first game, just that it'll be hard to play a new game in a series with degraded visuals after having played the first one.

It's not that the game shouldn't exist, I'd just rather see something else personally.

I was rather disputing that "it's for people who don't own PS3/360s." Whereas there may very well be great reason for people with those systems, and the first game, to be interested in an entirely new game in the franchise that presents something fresh and new in a way that leverages a very distinctly different system. Some people like the fact that they can get something fun and interesting in a Universe that they enjoy that's a fresh experience to boot.

Now, graphically, it won't be the same. But who's to say that it will be per se bad? Since it's not a port, it's not unlikely that they can gear the gameplay towards a presentation amenable to lower hardware specs, and direct graphical processing towards things that this new game needs, rather than simply doing it in a way that is entirely unlike the game is designed to be.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with how you're feeling, I'm just saying that if they're going to expand a franchise to a new console, I like the direction that they're taking, and as someone with a gaming PC that can run Dead Space easily, I'm excited about the potential that a Wii-specific adventure that leverages the Wii's interface, rather than more of the same. Although I'd like more of the same, too, but that doesn't mean I only want more of the same. Forutnately everyone can be happy because the latter is coming out as well for the HD systems.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

What specifically did you hate about it? I can tell you if DS does it better! :)

The fact that it has Resident Evil in the title, mainly. I am not a fan of the series, or of survival horror games in general. They bore me. Zombies bore me.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well...I mean...they're still making DS2 and that'll have all the shiny so you don't have to worry.

And I mean if you personally don't want to play the game, you can just read up on a wiki about what happens then jump right into the sequel.
    True, I've been going on too long about this, and I'm apologize for that, but I like to try and make my intentions clear. Anyways, after this I'll stop, but here's a potentially fitting parallel:

Take Dragon Quest IX. Imagine if the DS wasn't portable, and you'd already played VIII. Wouldn't it be hard to get excited about playing IX with degraded visuals, even though it might be a decent traditional JPRG in its own right?

Darlan on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The fact that it has Resident Evil in the title, mainly. I am not a fan of the series, or of survival horror games in general. They bore me. Zombies bore me.

There were no zombies in Resident Evil 4.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For all the back n forth on the game's port-ability, I'm surprised no one has mentioned how cool it would be to use the Wiimote tilting motion to do either horizontal or vertical shots with the plasma cutter.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Take Dragon Quest IX. Imagine if the DS wasn't portable, and you'd already played VIII. Wouldn't it be hard to get excited about playing IX with degraded visuals, even though it might be a decent traditional JPRG in its own right?

There are many examples of games having great graphics on the HD consoles but yet having superior versions on lesser-powerful consoles. In general people vastly preferred the lesser-powerful versions because they were more fun, and were built in such a way that leveraged that console's assets.

The problem with your example here is that it takes a game totally out of context. However, as to your DQIX example, there actually are lots of people that play their handheld games exclusively at home (portability isn't really even a question for them). And they are excited about DQIX, because it's a brand new game in a franchise they enjoy. It's built within the confines of the NDS, but it still looks fairly good and potentially plays awesome. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your position, but couldn't a person also enjoy DQVIII and DQIX? I say yes. And they have great reason to.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Y'know it would be awesome to use the wii remote to slice and dice with the plasma cutter.

:P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Care to elaborate on this most asinine splitting of hairs?

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Care to elaborate on this most asinine splitting of hairs?

Zombies = Virus

Enemies in RE4 = Parasite

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Zombies are sluggish and stupid and brittle.

the Ganados of Resi4, and of course it's monsters and mutants, were faster and angrier and threw things at you. there were times when hundreds of them were busting down doors and climbing through windows to get at you. Also the regular ganados later on, the parasites have so taken over that their heads sometimes explode to reveal angry slashing tentacles. And there were guys running at you with chainsaws. And monsters that climb walls and run around quickly. And blind scary monsters with huge claws that charge like rhinos when they hear your footsteps or gunshots. And Big huge fat monsters that are like oversized Orcs that crush buildings with a smash of their fists. And bosses with many many limbs that swing around large open rooms that are on fire with huge tentacles with blades on them trying to slice your head off. There is a fish monster that you have to fend off with a spear. There are zealous monks with shields, weapons, explosives, that also sometimes shoot cannons at you.

it's awesome.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thank you for confirming my previous "asinine splitting of hairs" comment.

Same fucking difference, ESPECIALLY to someone who doesn't give a damn in the first place.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What slash said. The folks in RE4 feel a lot more menacing than shambling zombies, even after you learn tactics to minimize their threat.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Haha, this thread amuses me a great deal. :lol:

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Same fucking difference, ESPECIALLY to someone who doesn't give a damn in the first place.

I'm assuming you're referring to maxzero, but while he didn't elaborate, there really is a difference between the stereotypical "zombie" and the monsters and infected of Resi4.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I'm assuming you're referring to maxzero, but while he didn't elaborate, there really is a difference between the stereotypical "zombie" and the monsters and infected of Resi4.

Maybe if you care enough to draw a line, but to someone outside of the zombie fandom, any human, mutated or not, that is either insentient or not in its right mind, is somewhat discolored and tries to kill you or eat you is a zombie. It doesn't matter through which means it was driven to this state. It's like trying to explain the difference between a gnome and a halfling to someone who doesn't give two shits about high fantasy.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Maybe if you care enough to draw a line, but to someone outside of the zombie fandom, any human, mutated or not, that is either insentient or not in its right mind, is somewhat discolored and tries to kill you or eat you is a zombie. It doesn't matter through which means it was driven to this state. It's like trying to explain the difference between a gnome and a halfling to someone who doesn't give two shits about high fantasy.

I have three words for you, that if they don't convince you... nothing will
    In Dead Space you get to fight a
    Giant Space Anus
    Oh yes.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

There are many examples of games having great graphics on the HD consoles but yet having superior versions on lesser-powerful consoles. In general people vastly preferred the lesser-powerful versions because they were more fun, and were built in such a way that leveraged that console's assets.

The problem with your example here is that it takes a game totally out of context. However, as to your DQIX example, there actually are lots of people that play their handheld games exclusively at home (portability isn't really even a question for them).
    I can't claim to know exactly how everyone plays their DS, but I'm pretty sure the portability is a huge deal in terms of being okay with the visuals. Even if one stays in their home, there's still an advantage to being able to take it wherever you go: sprawl out on the bad, carry it room to room, play on it during commercials when watching TV, and it seems a lot of people even play it in the bathroom.

And we're getting way off track here, but oh well, at least it's video game related.

Darlan on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Can you yell I don't care some more, I don't think we can hear you.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Wulf wrote: »

I have three words for you, that if they don't convince you... nothing will
    In Dead Space you get to fight a
    Giant Space Anus
    Oh yes.

Heh, you said
    anus.

It's funny, that's how I always understood black holes.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    agoaj wrote: »

Can you yell I don't care some more, I don't think we can hear you.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT 4 RESIDENT EVIL. AT ALL.

/exit thread

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm sensing you have a lot of anger to work out. Good luck with that.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Stop putting the 4 first. Also, this thread should be locked because there are not many intelligent things being said in it.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Are you stupid on purpose?

Or maybe you just like being a large troll?

Honestly there IS a difference between undead things that want to eat your flesh and shamble around and can't be killed except with a shot to the head or being burned to a crisp and walking talking normal people that are completely psychotic and chasing you with farm tools and chainsaws. Not only are they completely different things but they react to the player in a completely different fashion, and the player must react to them differently as well.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jesus, someone's mom got reamed out by RE4.

Edit: referring to Genji Gloves, of course.

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't claim to know exactly how everyone plays their DS, but I'm pretty sure the portability is a huge deal in terms of being okay with the visuals. Even if one stays in their home, there's still an advantage to being able to take it wherever you go: sprawl out on the bad, carry it room to room, play on it during commercials when watching TV, and it seems a lot of people even play it in the bathroom.

And we're getting way off track here, but oh well, at least it's video game related.

I like to think I play DS games because they're awesome, not because they're portable. Of course you can't really separate the two easily, since a touchscreen necessitates a different way to play the game. There's no, "what if I was playing this on a TV, would I still not care about the graphics." You can't play it on a TV, even a pointer would handle differently.

But anyway, assuming the DS never came out and the N64 had some strange resurgence, and we saw games like FFIV and Pokemon Diamond for it...yeah, I'm pretty sure I would still buy it and love it.

---

Anyway! I can't believe how often people jump into ideas with both feet here. First everyone kept going on about a port and now everyone's excited for an original story in the franchise. We seriously don't have enough info to decide yet.

This is the full text of the IGN article cited as showing that it's not a port:
    February 3, 2009 - During its fiscal third quarter earnings call today, Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello announced a Wii version of last year's horror shooter Dead Space is on the way. No other details were revealed, but IGN has heard it will be an original take on the game that makes full use of the Wii remote.

"We're bringing core intellectual property to the Wii," Riccitiello said. "Wii is the market leader -- they're getting half of our emphasis in terms of title count."

Dead Space was released on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC last October and received high praise for its beautiful graphics, creepy atmosphere, and gruesome alien zombie dismemberment. Oh, and zero gravity gameplay. Electronic Arts credits the game as one of its major sales drivers during its fiscal Q3. Riccitiello said the Wii version will carry the same fear factor present in the 360 and PS3 game.
    Bold is port evidence and italics is new game evidence. I have a feeling if it was original they would be saying so straight out - "a side story to the popular franchise" or something. The wording they use is pretty normal for a port.

Then again, we don't have enough info to say for sure.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I DON'T CARE ABOUT GAMES THAT ARE TOTALLY FUCKAWESOME. AT ALL.

/exit thread

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    Scotty wrote: »
    Seriously not trying to be a dick here, just not getting why they would be doing this instead of using their time and resources to make games specifically for Wii.

Yeah, you are just trying to be goddamn retard, and I must say that you are doing great job with it. :|
    Dead Space: Wii Edition, now with:

And here is the another one. Now we only need three posters more to complete pentagram of doom. One with Spongebob avatar, one with Flash avatar, and one with Star Wars avatar. After the pentagram is completed, I can call Cthulhu to destroy the planet earth and rest of the cosmos.

Haha thanks for the shout out, but I haven't played Dead Space so I can't really comment on whether it would be a good fit for the Wii. Over the shoulder survival horror isn't really my thing. I think it's a strange move though just because the vast majority of people that own a Wii don't want survival horror.

... time goes by ...

After watching the first 2 chapters via Helloween's LP I want to give it a spin but not on Wii. The aiming might be easier for some with the Wii, but it looks like the graphics and sound will have to take a huge hit to get it running on last-gen hardware.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hey I heard I was supposed to post here. didn't play Dead Space, can't comment on a watered down version of it on Wii.

I can hi5 UncleSporky for Pokemon Diamond. Pretty much the only game over the last 2 years I've played on DS!

edit: are they going to switch this to tank controls to satisfy the Nintendo Faithful? :P

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So are all games starting with the word Dead going to be ported to the Wii?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Crashmo wrote: »
    Stop putting the 4 first. Also, this thread should be locked because there are not many intelligent things being said in it.

I find it amusing that he was indignant over the difference between zombies and Ganados, and yet he typed "4RE" because, technically, the "Resident Evil" part falls to the right of the big number "4" in the logo. Who's splitting hairs now?

re4logo.jpg

I bet you capitalize the E in "Wipeout" too.
    Anyway! I can't believe how often people jump into ideas with both feet here. First everyone kept going on about a port and now everyone's excited for an original story in the franchise. We seriously don't have enough info to decide yet.

The wording in the press release indicates, to me, that it will retain the same basic plot, characters and general flow of the original—what I call an "expanded port" since it will Wii-specific functionality—but it's a little soon to say whether that's true or not, or whether that's positive or negative.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My bad, I didn't realize I had to like the same games as everyone else, lest I become subject to folly and right embarrassment. What a faux pas I've committed! YELLOW FLAG ON GENJI GLOVES, HATING 4 RESIDENT EVIL, 10 YARD PENALTY, FOURTH DOWN.

The entire Resident Evil series can go fuck itself right out the door for all I care. ESPECIALLY 4 Resident Evil.

If Dead Space is anything like 4RE, that's a guarantee that I will not like it. That's all I came in the thread to say. I came in here because, well, I have a Wii, I've heard good things about this game, and wanted more info. Then I see 4RE and survival horror being thrown around and well too bad I guess I won't be playing Dead Space any time soon.

TROLL TROLL TROLL, too bad, I don't like a game you like, and there's nothing you can do to change my mind about it. That really gets under your skin, doesn't it? It's just a fucking game, it's not your religion or political alignment. I have nothing more to say. Carry on with your little thread.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    psyck0 wrote: »
    That's funny. It sounds exactly like you, and half the people in this thread, have made up your mind already that if it's for the Wii, it's going to suck, and are being exactly that: dicks. If you don't like Wii games, or if graphics are so important to you that you'll ignore superior controls, why don't you just not post here?

Whoa whoa whoa...WHOA. Let's not make assumptions about me here.
    I never said anything about not liking the Wii, Wii games, or HD-less graphics.
    I have family that have a Wii, and we all have a blast with it, but not playing games like this here.

Also, I'm the first to say that Graphics aren't what make a game, but they sure as hell make it more engrossing for me when it's something cinematic like this game here. I like to be blown away, and there are times in DS that definitely do that for me.

To each their own of course.

If this indeed a game that IS being built for the Wii specifically with new story and such, then hell yes, I'm down.

Thank you for your time.

Scotty on
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    t Genji: I didn't like Resident Evil 4, but I liked Dead Space. Dead Space controlled better and had less of an emphasis on scrounging ammo/upgrades on the Normal difficulty level. It was less survival horror and more of an action game with horror elements. I'd recommend trying it even if you don't typically like survival horror games.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jclast wrote: »

After watching the first 2 chapters via Helloween's LP I want to give it a spin but not on Wii. The aiming might be easier for some with the Wii, but it looks like the graphics and sound will have to take a huge hit to get it running on last-gen hardware.

To be fair it's a really pretty game, but taking a huge hit? I wouldn't assume so. Look at what Nintendo did with Mario. When it comes down to it this could look damn nice on the Wii it just needs some effort on their part. Ok sure it wont be as nice as the 360/PS3/PC versions but hey, no one is expecting it to be. As long as they can keep what made the game so damn good in the first place (ie. the game play) it should be fine.

I for one am actually looking forward to what they can do with this. And for the guy screaming how much he hates Resident evil 4 and will there for hate Dead Space. How about taking a look at it first hmm?

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dagrabbit wrote: »
    t Genji: I didn't like Resident Evil 4, but I liked Dead Space. Dead Space controlled better and had less of an emphasis on scrounging ammo/upgrades on the Normal difficulty level. It was less survival horror and more of an action game with horror elements. I'd recommend trying it even if you don't typically like survival horror games.

hey cool a helpful post

Thanks dude, this is what I wanted to hear. I might give it a rent when it comes out and see what it's like.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dagrabbit wrote: »

hey cool a helpful post

Thanks dude, this is what I wanted to hear. I might give it a rent when it comes out and see what it's like.

There are zombies in it though.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Helloween wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »

To be fair it's a really pretty game, but taking a huge hit? I wouldn't assume so. Look at what Nintendo did with Mario. When it comes down to it this could look damn nice on the Wii it just needs some effort on their part. Ok sure it wont be as nice as the 360/PS3/PC versions but hey, no one is expecting it to be. As long as they can keep what made the game so damn good in the first place (ie. the game play) it should be fine.

I for one am actually looking forward to what they can do with this. And for the guy screaming how much he hates Resident evil 4 and will there for hate Dead Space. How about taking a look at it first hmm?

It's all about priorities. I'd rather have pretty than waggle. Also, I'm afraid they'll push motion controls on player for more than aiming (which is all they're really good for in games that aren't Wii Sports). It also boils down to where I do most of my gaming - if I'm going to pick up a multiplat single player game I'll pick it up for 360 because that's what most of my friends play on and it's nice to still get invites for multiplayer shenanigans.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png