Options

[WoW] Raiding: Naxxramas is the new Naxxramas

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So what assistance do they provide?

I haven't seen anything revealing what it is they do. A blue made a post outlining what the server firsts would be, and for yogg saron is just said with 0 watchers. Based on sound files revealed, I'm sure they use some of the abilities relevant to their encounters to buff you.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Naxx 10 rapidly becoming much easier for my raiding set. We've got it down to two nights now, and could probably have it down to one if the construct wing didn't give us so many issues. Patchwerk is absurdly easy, but Grobbulos is a fucking mess. I hate that fight, and can't figure out why we have any trouble with it. Everyone seems to have the positioning down pat, but invariably we'll see one person drop, then another, then dps slows down to a crawl as the melee have to run back and forth and before you know it small mistakes are made and it's a wipe. I guess it's really more of a practice makes perfect situation.

Gluth is another pain, but not because he's hard. It's becuase you have to have 3 tanks (or at least a death knight or warrior with some tank gear) or a frost mage to beat him, which is bullshit. Naxx 10 isn't designed for 3 tanks, so why toss in a fight that requires you to have one? Hell, even a frost mage has to be amazingly well geared to pull of the chow dance. They seem to simply run out of mana too fast to effectively kite the chow.

Thaddius, at least, is a very simple fight we've gotten down pat. But the middle two will always involve wipes as we either do Grobb over and over in an attempt to avoid small mistakes, or try a new Gluth tactic only to realize it's futile and just get our ele shaman to come as his warrior and miss out on the shaman gear that will invariably drop.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Or a holy paladin.

Our holy paladin puts on RF and long range judges the zombie chow, and kites them around. If you switch your two tanks on Gluth fairly frequently, one healer is plenty for him.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    One of our ret pallies does the kiting. The shaman just drops an earthbind totem to help out. And if the hunter makes it, he helps with frost traps. The big thing is just getting one set person to kite and have them do it each time. And if you have a hunter, shaman or an unholy dk have them drop their snare to help.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A frost mage... or a paladin, or a hunter, or a shaman.

Why would you use a warrior to kite chow?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    tanks have a lot more leeway in being hit by zombies

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Have your ret pally throw on whatever tanking gear they have and do it. The speed talent makes for a bit easier kiting, plus the fact they're zombies means you can use Exorcism to grab, as well as your single target taunt and judgement. I just toss a consecrate down between their spawn and Gluth to be sure.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Naxx 10 rapidly becoming much easier for my raiding set. We've got it down to two nights now, and could probably have it down to one if the construct wing didn't give us so many issues. Patchwerk is absurdly easy, but Grobbulos is a fucking mess. I hate that fight, and can't figure out why we have any trouble with it. Everyone seems to have the positioning down pat, but invariably we'll see one person drop, then another, then dps slows down to a crawl as the melee have to run back and forth and before you know it small mistakes are made and it's a wipe. I guess it's really more of a practice makes perfect situation.

Gluth is another pain, but not because he's hard. It's becuase you have to have 3 tanks (or at least a death knight or warrior with some tank gear) or a frost mage to beat him, which is bullshit. Naxx 10 isn't designed for 3 tanks, so why toss in a fight that requires you to have one? Hell, even a frost mage has to be amazingly well geared to pull of the chow dance. They seem to simply run out of mana too fast to effectively kite the chow.

Thaddius, at least, is a very simple fight we've gotten down pat. But the middle two will always involve wipes as we either do Grobb over and over in an attempt to avoid small mistakes, or try a new Gluth tactic only to realize it's futile and just get our ele shaman to come as his warrior and miss out on the shaman gear that will invariably drop.

well, on Grobb we don't have much trouble at all. you just have to make sure everyone has deadly boss mods and people on vent telling people to move their asses to place the clouds behind grobbulus and away from the raid group in the middle.

as for gluth, we only use two tanks who alternate taunting off. and we also don't use a mage to kite, we use a hunter.

i dunno man, sounds like your guild has some coordination issues. i recommend studying the tankspot videos closely.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I uh, I tanked Kel and his 4 adds last night from 15% to 0%. What the fuck?

Boy is that nerve-wracking.

Also, it seems like paladin tanks are the best tanks for kel until the MC bug gets fixed. DPS don't even have to stop. Or maybe our warrior tank is a schmuck.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I usually roll Fury, but end up kiting the zombie chow in my tank gear. It can get a little frustrating trying to keep them all rounded up with no rage. I spec for piercing howl just for that fight so I don't need much help other than the occasional heal. One thing that can get frustrating are the mages mirror images. They attack whatever they want, and that usually means they are going for the chow.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You're right, that is retardedly annoying. They usually go for whoever is closer, so if the mages stand on gluth's side away from the chow the images prefer gluth.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Oops, posted in the chat thread instead of here. Repost:

26 wipes on Sartharion + 3 drakes.

Twenty-six.

Shit like this is why I've come to hate raiding lately. I'm a tank on either Sartharion or the drakes. I'm never the one screwing up. There's nothing I can do to help others out while I'm tanking. I do my job perfectly.

And that's why it's so goddamn frustrating when someone else fails somewhere in the fight, and then it's a house of cards toppling over.

Echo on
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Echo wrote: »

Twenty-six.

Shit like this is why I've come to hate raiding lately. I'm a tank on either Sartharion or the drakes. I'm never the one screwing up. There's nothing I can do to help others out while I'm tanking. I do my job perfectly.

And that's why it's so goddamn frustrating when someone else fails somewhere in the fight, and then it's a house of cards toppling over.

oh wow ouch....

I mean after 20 (if we really pushing it) my RL says ok... what's going on? and we take a break...

Did atleast your guild help pay for your repairs??

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    We tried using a hunter but he sucks sucks at anything but standing at range doing DPS. So we have a mage switch to frost spec for the one fight and then back.

dasnoob on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've had good success doing it as a frost DK (hungering cold ftw), though I think unholy would be even better. Unholy aura + short cooldown DnD to leave in their path.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    One of our ret pallies does the kiting. The shaman just drops an earthbind totem to help out. And if the hunter makes it, he helps with frost traps. The big thing is just getting one set person to kite and have them do it each time. And if you have a hunter, shaman or an unholy dk have them drop their snare to help.

I had to do the earthbind thing for Gluth for the first time the other night. I never realized how fucking irritating that is. It would be a lot less irritating for a resto or elemental shaman, I guess, since they could just stand near the grate and DPS or heal, but I had to keep running back and forth to drop the totem and DPS the boss. And half the time the chow would melee my totem anyway while it was still on cooldown...

How does threat from magma totem work, do mobs attack the totem or could I do the kiting myself by like dropping magma totems and running around an earthbind? Not that I ever want to kite, but just curious.

riz on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, 10 man group is starting Sarth + 1 attempts. What's the popular strategy here? A quick google didn't seem to bring up a clear strategy.

How many tanks? Who tanks what? Positioning? Should we kill the adds (lava, whelps) or just tank them and focus on the Drake?

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    riz wrote: »

I had to do the earthbind thing for Gluth for the first time the other night. I never realized how fucking irritating that is. It would be a lot less irritating for a resto or elemental shaman, I guess, since they could just stand near the grate and DPS or heal, but I had to keep running back and forth to drop the totem and DPS the boss. And half the time the chow would melee my totem anyway while it was still on cooldown...

How does threat from magma totem work, do mobs attack the totem or could I do the kiting myself by like dropping magma totems and running around an earthbind? Not that I ever want to kite, but just curious.

Threat should be going to the totem.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wetsun wrote: »
    So, 10 man group is starting Sarth + 1 attempts. What's the popular strategy here? A quick google didn't seem to bring up a clear strategy.

How many tanks? Who tanks what? Positioning? Should we kill the adds (lava, whelps) or just tank them and focus on the Drake?

Easiest drake to leave up is tenebran. Basically OT the whelps / adds and burn tenebran.
    After tene goes down, aoe the adds and kill sarth.

I would go with 3 tanks.

If you want good practice for sarth +2 or 3, shoot for downing tenebran before the second wave of whelps spawn. Although that is kinda hard without 25 man gear.

frylocked on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    frylocked wrote: »

Easiest drake to leave up is tenebran. Basically OT the whelps / adds and burn tenebran.

I would go with 3 tanks.

If you want good practice for sarth +2 or 3, shoot for downing tenebran before the second wave of whelps spawn. Although that is kinda hard without 25 man gear.

We only have two spec'd tanks generally. We were talking about having one of our DPS off-tank, but didn't get to try it. Which group would be easiest to manage as a non-tank?

We were leaning toward having me (Blood DK) be the third tank...but I'm also the #1 DPS on most fights, so I'm not sure that will let us burn Tene fast enough.

Wetsun on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I would go with 3 tanks.

We only have two spec'd tanks generally. We were talking about having one of our DPS off-tank, but didn't get to try it. Which group would be easiest to manage as a non-tank?

We were leaning toward having me (Blood DK) be the third tank...but I'm also the #1 DPS on most fights, so I'm not sure that will let us burn Tene fast enough.

Blood is a poor choice for picking up whelp adds. If you have the good tanking gear, you should tank tenebran.

Also with one drake... you are not really dps constrained at all. As long as you can keep the tanks up and pick up the whelps, you can fight as long as you want.

frylocked on
  • Options
    SerpicoSerpico Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Twenty-six.

Pfft, that's not too bad. Probably have around 35 total on 10-man over 2 1/2 nights here. Some guy on another forum was keeping running tally on total wipes on 25-man in his guild too.

Was at 168 last time I checked.

Serpico on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Do you re-clear the trash?

frylocked on
  • Options
    SerpicoSerpico Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yes, we generally start 7:15, have a 5 min break while trash respawns ca 9:15, then continue to 11. We spend a fair amount of time between each attempt though, waiting for heroism when we have that, going through what went wrong last time etc.

Serpico on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My guild had 17 Sarth3 tries before a kill on Friday, not counting previous weeks of attempts. I wasn't there due to watching BSG, and am perfectly content with this.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I would go with 3 tanks.

Blood is a poor choice for picking up whelp adds. If you have the good tanking gear, you should tank tenebran.

Also with one drake... you are not really dps constrained at all. As long as you can keep the tanks up and pick up the whelps, you can fight as long as you want.

I would totally disagree that Tenebron is the easiest drake to leave up. In 10 man the whelps are a pain in the ass and require someone to tank them though you can do it with a dps specced dk. If you just want to get 1 drake down then I'd recommend leaving up Shadron, however if you plan to move on to multiple drakes then at some point you have to figure out what strategy you want to use so you might as well start now.

khain on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Any tips for positioning? We were keeping Sarth in his normal spot, but I've seen some suggest tanking the Drake where Sarth normally stands and keeping Sarth near the front-left.

Wetsun on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Neyla wrote: »
    I mean after 20 (if we really pushing it) my RL says ok... what's going on? and we take a break...

Yep, raid repairs come from the guild bank. We sell BOE drops to finance it.

Well, we took notes of all the people that failed horribly at not standing in shadow fissures and hugging the big unmistakable lava walls. Some people won't be coming for Sarth3D raids until we get him down.

Echo on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Threat should be going to the totem.

the threat goes to the shaman. they fixed that little bit of horrible coding a while ago.

Angry on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    khain wrote: »
    I would totally disagree that Tenebron is the easiest drake to leave up. In 10 man the whelps are a pain in the ass and require someone to tank them though you can do it with a dps specced dk. If you just want to get 1 drake down then I'd recommend leaving up Shadron, however if you plan to move on to multiple drakes then at some point you have to figure out what strategy you want to use so you might as well start now.

People leave Tenebron up for +1 because of his debuff, not because of the whelps. Increased shadow damage is mostly irrelevant. Increased fire damage and -25% health are harder to deal with for a group learning to leave drakes up.

riz on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

People leave Tenebron up for +1 because of his debuff, not because of the whelps. Increased shadow damage is mostly irrelevant. Increased fire damage and -25% health are harder to deal with for a group learning to leave drakes up.

Also you dont have to dink at all with going in and out of portals.

frylocked on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Also you dont have to dink at all with going in and out of portals.

The increased fire damage aura and the acolyte buff are just as irrelevant unless your tank is extremely under geared, though you do have to take the portals. I just find the whelps to be the most annoying part of the fight unless you have a 3rd tank, but like I said you do have to deal with this issue at some point.

I'm not sure there's a common position, but what my guild does is position Sarth at the front of the island facing left so that the whole back area is open and you don't have a huge dragon in the way when you have to move the drakes around.

khain on
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Neyla wrote: »

Yep, raid repairs come from the guild bank. We sell BOE drops to finance it.

Well, we took notes of all the people that failed horribly at not standing in shadow fissures and hugging the big unmistakable lava walls. Some people won't be coming for Sarth3D raids until we get him down.

Thank god! I wouldn't of put up with that many wipes on my own gold...

And Failbot mod was sooo handy for us when we were learning the encounter. Since using it we have replaced 4 members and consistently now downed 3 drake. Sounds jerkish but when it's the same 4 people causing the chain reaction to fail.... that mod was nice proof.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    A frost mage... or a paladin, or a hunter, or a shaman.

Why would you use a warrior to kite chow?
    We don't use a warrior to kite the chow. The warrior takes the spot as OT to taunt off Gluth for a few seconds while our MT pally goes and kites the chow. The problem with getting a hunter or a shaman to do it is twofold. First off being that either our hunters and shaman just don't know much about kiting (a distinct possibility) or the classes just suck for kiting the chow. Once they get up to 99 stacks, it's usually too late for the back row healer to keep them alive.

The second being that losing a shaman or a hunter is a pretty significant loss in DPS over losing our pally. We can pretty much one shot Gluth without fail when we get our pally back in the back kiting, but it's always within a few seconds before or after enrage. Straight up losing a dps isn't really feasible for us, and I don't particularly want to be the guy who tells the kiter they have to worry about DPS in addition to the chow.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    99 stacks?

those are bad players.

Angry on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Gluth is damn easy for us now that our Tree Druid has a fairly geared Resto Shaman to come in to throw down Earthbinds while still throwing out some really great heals (not an imba as his tree Druid, but his Tree is really overkill for that fight.) And a Hunter and really any Mage spec. (seriously, as long as they can throw out a Frost Nova and some kinda slowing effect, Slow and Dragon's Breath DOES work. you're fine. in Decimates, as long as you have a Mage that's anywhere near competent, you're fine. FFB mages can Living Bomb the shit out of them, Frost Mages, obvaiously can just Drop Blizzard. and believe it or not, Arcane Mages can also do it well, PoM/Flamestrike ad Blizzard on top of that is still great AoE.)

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    99 stacks is something I'd have to see to believe.

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Laurluna wrote: »

I get up to 99 if I single kite them as a tank. This is only if it goes past the second decimate though. If I'm the only kiter, there better damn well be an extra dps going to down on him and make sure we don't even get anywhere near the 2nd decimate.

15 or so zombies can get you to 99 fairly quickly.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    do you not use an earthbind totem or frost trap?

i have never gotten more then 30 stacks solo kiting gluth and usually sit at 10-15 on heroic kiting.

Angry on
  • Options
    LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    Laurluna wrote: »

I get up to 99 if I single kite them as a tank. This is only if it goes past the second decimate though. If I'm the only kiter, there better damn well be an extra dps going to down on him and make sure we don't even get anywhere near the 2nd decimate.

15 or so zombies can get you to 99 fairly quickly.
    Wow. What are they hitting you for?

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
This discussion has been closed.