As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nanananananana Metroid!

1234568»

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    They're holding the game back to make sure it's perfect? Those bastards!

Really, though, I too readily remember Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker to be upset about this. (Disclaimer: I am not insulting these games, per se. They are awesome, but could have been considerably awesomer.)

They are probably holding it back to add another shitty multiplayer mode.

The news of this delay has come awfully close to the announcement of the Gamespy/Nintendo deal.

If they are adding multiplayer, it will probably not be shitty

Think about it. MP3 could do for Wii wifi what MP:H sort-of-did for the DS. It's still the most played online game, I think.

Could have fooled me. I have been trying to play with no restrictions on region off and on for a bit now and more people are playing bowling on Club House Games than Metroid DS. In fact I haven't found one game the last 2 times I tried to play online (I loathe the single player).
    Playing with bots is more fun than online now. I ran in on a match where I was the only one NOT alt-spamming Samus. I was so pissed.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Actually the game is quite fun with bots. I still play the original UT that way sometimes too, I got into it too late to ever get close to the skill level of any actual people playing.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Eyes5Eyes5 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yes, the origin of the Metroid Prime is indeed a plothole! It's even one that Retro tried to fix in the PAL version of the game. Some of the Pirate logs were rewritten to say that the Phazon meteor crashed into Tallon IV an indeterminate time ago, as opposed to 25 years in the original version. Also in the PAL version, the Pirates never came in direct contact with the Metroid Prime but sensed something powerful in the sealed core using long-range scanners or something. Because of the genetic similarities this creature had with metroids, they called it the Metroid Prime. (However, this opens up a new plothole in that how did the Prime assimilate all those weapon systems onto itself.)

My personal theory is that the Metroid Prime is not a metroid. It's something else entirely that arrived with the meteor. When the Pirates arrived and a few metroids got loose, the Prime assimilated some of them into its body. Perhaps metroids were lured to the high energy content in phazon? And perhaps the Prime can choose what features of its assimilated organisms it chooses to manifest, such as it can choose which weapons, armors it uses in a fight. And so it chooses to be mostly metroid because metroids are powerful. It takes on a vaguely metroid-like shape and the ability to reproduce via fission, although it doesn't create other Primes, just metroids and phazon-version metroids.

Eyes5 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    That makes sense. Also, when it arrived via meteor, the Chozo on Tallon called it the scourge or somesuch, and I would expect them to know if it was their own creation (a metroid).

And then its reemergence in MP2, which has nothing to do with metroids and everything to do with replication/assimilation, apparently its primary property.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Eyes5 wrote: »
    Yes, the origin of the Metroid Prime is indeed a plothole! It's even one that Retro tried to fix in the PAL version of the game. Some of the Pirate logs were rewritten to say that the Phazon meteor crashed into Tallon IV an indeterminate time ago, as opposed to 25 years in the original version. Also in the PAL version, the Pirates never came in direct contact with the Metroid Prime but sensed something powerful in the sealed core using long-range scanners or something. Because of the genetic similarities this creature had with metroids, they called it the Metroid Prime. (However, this opens up a new plothole in that how did the Prime assimilate all those weapon systems onto itself.)

My personal theory is that the Metroid Prime is not a metroid. It's something else entirely that arrived with the meteor. When the Pirates arrived and a few metroids got loose, the Prime assimilated some of them into its body. Perhaps metroids were lured to the high energy content in phazon? And perhaps the Prime can choose what features of its assimilated organisms it chooses to manifest, such as it can choose which weapons, armors it uses in a fight. And so it chooses to be mostly metroid because metroids are powerful. It takes on a vaguely metroid-like shape and the ability to reproduce via fission, although it doesn't create other Primes, just metroids and phazon-version metroids.

Anyhow, to add to your thought - Whatever it is, it seems to able to continuously evolve itself as long as it has phazon to fuel the transformation. I'm actually interested to see what it can do in MP3:C.

It's obviously very smart, though it hasn't shown an ability to speak.. yet. About the weapons - It wouldn't be too far a stretch to think that it scanned them from inside the creator and then created them organically. Sure, it's more out there than absorbing them directly, but I don't see how it's any more fantastical than anything else in a sci-fi game.

Magus` on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That makes sense. Also, when it arrived via meteor, the Chozo on Tallon called it the scourge or somesuch, and I would expect them to know if it was their own creation (a metroid).

And then its reemergence in MP2, which has nothing to do with metroids and everything to do with replication/assimilation, apparently its primary property.

Makes much more sense. The phazon causes metroid to grow/evolve quickly, but the Metroid Prime is certainly no evolution of metroids. The idea that it's something else that assimilated metroids into its being makes much more sense.

I did like how Dark Samus, near death, had metroidy lookin features inside it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't actually a metroid; one of the Chozo logs mentions that the Worm started out as a parasite, which the metroids are. I don't think it's implausible that there were metroids on Tallon IV (aren't the metroids in MP2 specifically called Tallon IV metroids?). Or, the place that the asteroid came from could have had metroids on it (I guess we'll find out with Corruption).

Lemming on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't actually a metroid; one of the Chozo logs mentions that the Worm started out as a parasite, which the metroids are. I don't think it's implausible that there were metroids on Tallon IV (aren't the metroids in MP2 specifically called Tallon IV metroids?). Or, the place that the asteroid came from could have had metroids on it (I guess we'll find out with Corruption).
    I assume because Tallon IV was colonised by the Chozo, that they brought some Metroids with them seeing as how they created them. Is it directly stated that Prime was on the meteor? I figured that the scourge was the meteor itself which introduced Phazon and drastically mutated that particular being (Prime) whether it was a Metroid or not.

edit: I just read the Wiki article on Prime and it said that the capture of Prime was inconsistent. The Chozo sealed it in Impact Crater and later the Pirates captured it. But there is no evidence that Prime escaped Impact Crater.

What if early on, Prime had reproduced and formed a second one? The Chozo may have sealed the original but not before it could reproduce. Maybe the young Prime eluded the Chozo and later developed and was captured by the Pirates. The protective screens were stated to be an advantegous genetic flaw and not the assimilation of Pirate technology. Perhaps there is another Prime hidden on Tallon IV. The weapons assimilated by the Pirate's Prime were never specified, so maybe the trapped one assimilated Chozo technology instead, thus it's ability to use the Phazon suit to it's advantage.

All purely speculation, but it would be interesting to be dragged back the Tallon IV for one reason or another and encounter a new Prime, possibly even more evolved.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    didnt Retro said that in MP3 you can use the ship to travel to another planets? maybe you go back to Tallon IV, and maybe Aether.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    paco_pepe wrote: »
    didnt Retro said that in MP3 you can use the ship to travel to another planets? maybe you go back to Tallon IV, and maybe Aether.
    Maybe you can go to Corneria and shoot down Slippy and then go race at Big Blue.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Maybe you can go to Corneria and shoot down Slippy and then go race at Big Blue.

Or go to Hyrule and shoot down Slippy while he is shooting down Link.

snap0023.jpg

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

snap0023.jpg
    DAMN IT. I was gonna say that.

Tonight is just not my night.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

snap0023.jpg

backtracking backtracking lol!

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I recently got a hold of a copy of Metroid II while at EB picking up Custom Robo. I actually managed to beat it in 3:04 my first time, so I quickly loaded my last save and was able to finish it at about 2:56 <3

In any case, I was pretty surprised; I thought it was pretty good. It was a bit difficult at first adjusting to playing without a map, but once I figured out how it worked (you go into one area to find/kill metroids, then backtrack a tiny bit to go to the lava you couldn't pass before) it wasn't bad at all. You couldn't really get lost unless you really started going backward.

All in all, I think it still holds up today. It obviously wasn't as good as the Metroids for the GBA, but it was definitely worth the 7 bucks I paid for it.

Lemming on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, I thought maybe there was new MP3 news. Thanks for getting my hopes up. D:

Magus` on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yes, the origin of the Metroid Prime is indeed a plothole! It's even one that Retro tried to fix in the PAL version of the game.

Actually... It was localizers who tried to fix all plotholes without Retro's permission, and Retro didn't like this at all. They are still saying that US version has the correct plot, even though anyone with at least two braincells can see how broken it is. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    elkatas wrote: »
    Yes, the origin of the Metroid Prime is indeed a plothole! It's even one that Retro tried to fix in the PAL version of the game.

Actually... It was localizers who tried to fix all plotholes without Retro's permission, and Retro didn't like this at all. They are still saying that US version has the correct plot, even though anyone with at least two braincells can see how broken it is. :)
    Yeah, but, in the PAL Player's Choice version the Space Pirates aren't able to get at Prime either, frustrating them to no end.

So either Retro wasn't that mad, or there's something legal going on here preventing them from insisting that PALland included the apparently canon version of events.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    LurkerLurker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Don't mean to be a dick, but do you have anything to back this up?

Lurker on
    fulljokerempireeditcs5lqt7.jpg
  • Options
    Eyes5Eyes5 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Yeah, but, in the PAL Player's Choice version the Space Pirates aren't able to get at Prime either, frustrating them to no end.

So either Retro wasn't that mad, or there's something legal going on here preventing them from insisting that PALland included the apparently canon version of events.

Weeeell...

The Pirate logs in the Pal version are only minorly fixed, and for the better, in my opinion, since it fixes up plot holes.

What Retro must be mad about are the Pal Chozo logs. Because my GOD they are a travesty against all that is Metroid and all that is good and all humanity.

Eyes5 on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are they ever going to make Metroid 5? That's all I really care about.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    What Retro must be mad about are the Pal Chozo logs. Because my GOD they are a travesty against all that is Metroid and all that is good and all humanity.
    I dunno about that.

The original Choze lores imply far too heavily that the Chozo are still around when the Space Pirates start their phazon mining operations, whereas the PAL version implies that the Chozo are driven away by the phazon long before the Orpheus even arrives.

I think I like the PAL version better. It makes the Tallon Chozo feel more ancient and mystical and it adds to the empty and abandoned feeling of the planet. With the NTSC entries, I get the feeling there should still be signs that the Chozo are either still here or haven't left that long ago. Also, they refer to Samus far too directly.

In my opinion.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I dunno about that.

The original Choze lores imply far too heavily that the Chozo are still around when the Space Pirates start their phazon mining operations, whereas the PAL version implies that the Chozo are driven away by the phazon long before the Orpheus even arrives.

I think I like the PAL version better. It makes the Tallon Chozo feel more ancient and mystical and it adds to the empty and abandoned feeling of the planet. With the NTSC entries, I get the feeling there should still be signs that the Chozo are either still here or haven't left that long ago. Also, they refer to Samus far too directly.

In my opinion.

Well, they did raise Samus and she looks to be in her 20's. So realistically we can only assume that the Chozo completely disappeared from the galaxy at least 10 years ago so the lore that Samus finds in the ruins can be only recently (year-wise) made. Unless of course the chozo blood she has gives her elongated life.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Well, they did raise Samus and she looks to be in her 20's. So realistically we can only assume that the Chozo completely disappeared from the galaxy at least 10 years ago so the lore that Samus finds in the ruins can be only recently (year-wise) made. Unless of course the chozo blood she has gives her elongated life.
    I'm not saying the Tallon IV Chozo disappeared from the galaxy, only that they disappeared from Tallon IV. After the meteor strikes and the phazon poisons their planet, they just go somewhere* - abandoning their planet and hoping that one day this strange, mythical armourclad being of light will arrive and clean up the place.

* Maybe even Zebes, where their descendents then end up raising Samus. Who knows?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm not saying the Tallon IV Chozo disappeared from the galaxy, only that they disappeared from Tallon IV. After the meteor strikes and the phazon poisons their planet, they just go somewhere* - abandoning their planet and hoping that one day this strange, mythical armourclad being of light will arrive and clean up the place.

* Maybe even Zebes, where their descendents then end up raising Samus. Who knows?

The way the lore described it, after they built their new home on the planet they just left their physical forms and became spirits that would be ever watchful of their new home. When the meteor hit, they were yanked back into the physical world by the phazon and became mad, thus spawning the chozo ghosts Samus has to fight so many times.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

The way the lore described it, after they built their new home on the planet they just left their physical forms and became spirits that would be ever watchful of their new home. When the meteor hit, they were yanked back into the physical world by the phazon and became mad, thus spawning the chozo ghosts Samus has to fight so many times.
    Yeah, I know. But that's not the point.

The PAL lore says that the Chozo who didn't go insane left after sealing the Impact Crater.

The NTSC lore claims that the non-insane Chozo are still around when Orpheon arrives at Tallon IV (possibly hotly pursued by Samus).

I prefer the PAL version for reasons already stated.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yeah, I know. But that's not the point.

The PAL lore says that the Chozo who didn't go insane left after sealing the Impact Crater.

The NTSC lore claims that the non-insane Chozo are still around when Orpheon arrives at Tallon IV (possibly hotly pursued by Samus).

I prefer the PAL version for reasons already stated.

/endingargument

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg