As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official I Hate [Final Fantasy] Thread: Dead like FF XIV's userbase. New thread.

• Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    Well I'm caring about XIII-2's story a hell of a lot more than I expected. I couldn't stop playing last night.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Doping my already juiced Silver Chocobo in order to win Hermes Sandals... don't follow his example kids.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Shen wrote:
    Doping my already juiced Silver Chocobo in order to win Hermes Sandals... don't follow his example kids.

Apparently the stat goal for Chocobos in racing is 800 attack and magic. I am not sure what 100% vitality levelup items will do to his stats at the max level. Hopefully he'll be good enough to handle things despite being built as a tank instead. Alternately, hopefully 100% potent levelup items will leave him as a good enough tank.

Alternatelyx2, I could just go get the Gold Chocobo instead, since he's only a mediocre COM as opposed to a great SEN.

• Options
    My silver chocobo has 9300 hp, 817 atk and 803 mag with potent on everything, so only just :P.

Infused him with Improved Counter for Second Wind (improves boost) off a level 1 Pulse Gladiator, Critical: Bravery for Spinter (couldn't find a level 1 Cactuar, used a levelled Red Chocobo instead) and Critical: Vigilance for Marathoner (level 5 Microchu, worth levelling to level 24 for another ability that stops condition dropping below average).

Sprints are a doddle, marathons are okay, 1800m pretty much requires top condition and a sprint start. Just realised I was using a Goblin Chieftain as a sentinel so got Limelight, though I don't know if that helps past the 800 stat caps.

ladi.png
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    Man, you guys are really making me want to play XIII-2, which I previously had absolutely no interest in, but I'm still working through XIII.

I think I'm getting close to the end, but it's like...I'm having fun and all, but XIII-2 just sounds like MORE fun.

Screw you guys.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Man, you guys are really making me want to play XIII-2, which I previously had absolutely no interest in, but I'm still working through XIII.

I think I'm getting close to the end, but it's like...I'm having fun and all, but XIII-2 just sounds like MORE fun.

Screw you guys.

I enjoyed 13 for what it is -- a great battle engine, a decent enough story, complicated by a lack of creative leadership/direction and the limited leadership it did have having a horribly low opinion of modern gamers.

If you took it with a grain of salt, it was ok. If you stopped to think that yes, they honestly think you're too stupid to handle side paths and need a 35 hour tutorial, it sucked. If you just said fuckit and kept going, it was surprisingly enjoyable.

Of course, I'm one of those weirdos that loved 10-2 -- great battle engine, and hilarious story once you realized it was completely taking the piss out of itself.
    Seriously, they set up the angsty "Someone has to SACRIFICE THEMSELVES" plot hook at the end, and Yuna literally turns to them and says "No. Your plan sucks, we're not doing it."

Someday I need to go back and 100% 10-2, and maybe re-do 13-1. Or finish 12... Enjoyed 12, if not for the political plot. Sometimes I just wanna be told "Him bad, go smash." Not "He believes in INCOME REDISTRIBUTION! Quick, to the HANDING OUT FLYERS MINIGAME." :)

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    So I guess I went through the wrong gate. Royal ripeness is murdering me and I'm not making a dent in his HP. I'll go the other way.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not liking Barthandelus... gonna go back outside his room and grind a little bit on psi-coms and armodillos. Those fights aren't nearly as hard as when I first tried to get through that section. A few levels and some more focused paradigms must have helped that. Also more hope and less vanille seems to help too.

• Options
    I think Bart's big attack does less damage the more you wail on him? It might be counter-intuitive, but try just whacking him while he charges and just switching to your defensive setup at the last second.

ladi.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    *Enter jackass gamer mode* I didn't even know Bart's attack was that big of a deal, he died before he even got a chance to do anything. /end jackass gamer mode

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    When in doubt use Lightning, Fang, and Hope.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Shen wrote:
    I think Bart's big attack does less damage the more you wail on him? It might be counter-intuitive, but try just whacking him while he charges and just switching to your defensive setup at the last second.

Yeah, this is key. You just keep whacking him until he very noticeably grunts and lurches, and then it does quite a bit less damage. You still have to get some healing done but the one time I didn't hit him enough to make him lurch, he almost killed my whole party.

That whole section just got me pumped because the game changed from "what the fuck are we doing" to "let's hijack this airship and save our friends!" And then Barthandalus is this HUGE motherfucker and all the sudden the game just felt GOOD and EXCITING.

The Barthandalus fight was actually really memorable to me because I think I was a bit underleveled and was just taking my time and playing it really safe with lots of healing. I knew I could sustain what I was doing so it was just a matter of time until I beat him. And then he cast Doom on me and all the sudden is was like SHIT, I have to kill this guy NOW and it's been like, 20 minutes and I really don't want to redo this fight.

I killed him with about 50 left on my Doom timer which is what...a few seconds? That was the first time I genuinely got excited playing that game.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    Man, I miss bosses casting Doom to say "Dude, hurry the fuck up" - shit is over in like 10 seconds in XIII-2. Chichu is stupid good, but it's kinda funny how I avoid Launching enemies because the dumb thing can't jump :P

ladi.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    ???AF is Synergy Central

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote:
    Someday I need to go back and 100% 10-2, and maybe re-do 13-1. Or finish 12... Enjoyed 12, if not for the political plot. Sometimes I just wanna be told "Him bad, go smash." Not "He believes in INCOME REDISTRIBUTION! Quick, to the HANDING OUT FLYERS MINIGAME." :)

I take it that you didn't make it to the Pharos. Halfway through that, you'll be lusting for politics.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm working on a Chocobo team and I was wondering what the best monster is for giving my Chocos 'Pack Mentality' via infusion?

• Options
    Only the one of a kind Chichu/Nanochu can infuse Pack Mentality unfortunately. The best recipients would be your Blue and Gold/Red/Yellow Chocobos.

ladi.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Spirits Within was always a good movie.

The issue was it took Avatar level money to make, and dwcently good reviews aside, didn't make Avatar level sales at the box office. It was an astoundly stupid finiancial decision for the company that recovering from shaped into what they are today.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Shen wrote:

Yeah, this is key. You just keep whacking him until he very noticeably grunts and lurches, and then it does quite a bit less damage. You still have to get some healing done but the one time I didn't hit him enough to make him lurch, he almost killed my whole party.

That whole section just got me pumped because the game changed from "what the fuck are we doing" to "let's hijack this airship and save our friends!" And then Barthandalus is this HUGE motherfucker and all the sudden the game just felt GOOD and EXCITING.

The Barthandalus fight was actually really memorable to me because I think I was a bit underleveled and was just taking my time and playing it really safe with lots of healing. I knew I could sustain what I was doing so it was just a matter of time until I beat him. And then he cast Doom on me and all the sudden is was like SHIT, I have to kill this guy NOW and it's been like, 20 minutes and I really don't want to redo this fight.

I killed him with about 50 left on my Doom timer which is what...a few seconds? That was the first time I genuinely got excited playing that game.

Hmm yeah I got till doom running out. I even summoned odin when my timer got down to about 50 as a last ditch thing...

didn't know about still putting some damage on him after he starts charging. what I was doing was

Starting with bully, to buff/debuff, using diversity to take out the pieces and get him staggered that first time.

Then I would use diversity till he cast that, immediately switch to Hero's charge I think is what it's called. it's lightning med, hope synergist and fang commando to get my buffs bacj up, then I'd switch to rav/med/sen to eat the attack and switch back to diversity afterwards.

it was fine till I ran out of time from doom. Need more damage in there somewhere.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Shen wrote:
    Man, I miss bosses casting Doom to say "Dude, hurry the fuck up" - shit is over in like 10 seconds in XIII-2. Chichu is stupid good, but it's kinda funny how I avoid Launching enemies because the dumb thing can't jump :P

There's a Cie'th in Yaschas Massif 11XAF, if I remember correctly, that casts doom. Luckily I'd already wiped out most of his HP, so it didn't become an issue.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Hmm yeah I got till doom running out. I even summoned odin when my timer got down to about 50 as a last ditch thing...

didn't know about still putting some damage on him after he starts charging. what I was doing was

Starting with bully, to buff/debuff, using diversity to take out the pieces and get him staggered that first time.

Then I would use diversity till he cast that, immediately switch to Hero's charge I think is what it's called. it's lightning med, hope synergist and fang commando to get my buffs bacj up, then I'd switch to rav/med/sen to eat the attack and switch back to diversity afterwards.

it was fine till I ran out of time from doom. Need more damage in there somewhere.

Yeah, use medic and sentinel only as reactive roles. A deck that will get you through 99% of encounters is (assuming the standard Fang/Lightning/Hope party):

Com/Rav/Rav
    Com/Rav/Rav
    Com/Com/Rav
    Com/Com/Rav
    Sab/Med/Syn
    Sen/Med/Med

Switching every 12 seconds after having depleted a full ATB gauge awards you with another full gauge to play with - this basically works out to every other turn. Doubling up on offensive paradigms and taking advantage of this trick will increase your damage output by a tonne.

@Unco: Actually yeah, I think I've fought that one; a wuss just like all the others :P

One thing I appreciate about the combat in 13-2 is the added cross/wide option. In situations where staggering isn't really viable it's nice to have the raw damage of two commandos, but under default behaviour they attack different targets if multiples are present. Cross fixes that nicely.

Someone else post so I don't keep editing this, lol. Just got Sergeant's Badge from the Lightning DLC, 66% strength boost but halves hp and gives perpetual poison for 100 accessory cost... useful for challenge runs maybe.

Shen on
    ladi.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012

I don't remember doing a bunch of buff/debuff (could be wrong though, it was a while ago). I think I just stuck with COM/RAV/RAV most of the time. I think a MED/MED/SEN is really helpful too because you can do your healing in 1 or 1-1/2 turns and then go right back to COM/RAV/RAV without breaking your chain.

Shen wrote:
    Yeah, use medic and sentinel only as reactive roles. A deck that will get you through 99% of encounters is (assuming the standard Fang/Lightning/Hope party):

Com/Rav/Rav
    Com/Rav/Rav
    Com/Com/Rav
    Com/Com/Rav
    Sab/Med/Syn
    Sen/Med/Med

Does COM/COM/RAV really give you that much more damage? Is that worth sacrificing the added chain bonus of double RAV? Just curious.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I like two coms for already staggered enemies... but if there's multiple enemies one of the coms will pick a new target after they're staggered.

And when I get home I'll give all of that advice a try.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Kind of stuck in FFXIII-2.

Just went through Augusta Tower, 300 AF.
    I obtained a key, gate 50 or something, and the elevator says I need a different key to keep going upward.

The only clue I got was the computer saying that my actions destroyed a possible future.

What exactly should my primary goal be? Unlock more gates using wild artefacts? In other words, do more quests to gain more artefacts?

Also, I tamed a Flan with electric nodes in that area, but for some reason it won't accept any of the monster materials to level up. What kind of materials do I need for it?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Kind of stuck in FFXIII-2.

Just went through Augusta Tower, 300 AF.
    I obtained a key, gate 50 or something, and the elevator says I need a different key to keep going upward.

The only clue I got was the computer saying that my actions destroyed a possible future.

What exactly should my primary goal be? Unlock more gates using wild artefacts? In other words, do more quests to gain more artefacts?

Also, I tamed a Flan with electric nodes in that area, but for some reason it won't accept any of the monster materials to level up. What kind of materials do I need for it?

In that particular location, yeah, different time peroid. As far as what you do next, wild artefacts some, sure, if you want; otherwise in the Crux just glance at what times have unopened gates and fragments you might go after. I don't recall exactly how to get to the next Augusta tower area you need to get to but iirc its not via wild artefact. I think it might be back at the flan area.

EDIT: and as far as leveling materials, just compare the rating of the monster with the rating on materials you have. If it's two heads you need at least level two materials and so on. I dont think you can buy above 2 until the start of Chapter 4. You'll have to farm them if its' 3+.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Does COM/COM/RAV really give you that much more damage? Is that worth sacrificing the added chain bonus of double RAV? Just curious.

Com has a percentage multiplier to your damage and a smaller multiplier for the others in your party; I know its 120/105 self/allies in 13-2, and it's bigger (at max role level) in 13. All Ravager attacks are elemental so if an enemy is weak then they get a damage boost but obviously the opposite applies. Coms also have damage boosting abilities like Scourge and Adrenaline off the top of my head, while Ravagers don't have any, and launching dangerous enemies can be pretty important (the AI can't keep shit afloat as a Ravager to save its life).

Generally I go two ravagers to stagger, one ravager to boost damage once staggered/if the enemy can't be staggered.

Shen on
    ladi.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Interesting. But when an enemy is staggered, having two ravagers will boost your chain bonus way higher, sometimes several hundred percentage points above what they were originally staggered at. Wouldn't this overall large damage boost largely outweight any damage boost given by COM, which won't increase the stagger boost % at all?

If that's the case, I would think a RAV/RAV/RAV after a stagger would be ideal unless the damage gain from COM is really significant.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Shen wrote:

Com/Rav/Rav
    Com/Rav/Rav
    Com/Com/Rav
    Com/Com/Rav
    Sab/Med/Syn
    Sen/Med/Med

I used Fang/Lightning/Vanille, so my setup was a bit different (but still fairly similar). Note that I put some points into Lightning's Synergist tree to get a few buffs and got Auto-Haste from accessories.

Com/Rav/Rav
    Com/Com/Rav
    Com/Rav/Sab
    Sab/Rav/Rav
    Sab/Syn/Sab
    Sen/Med/Med

I only had trouble on fights where the boss was immune to any debuff that would be helpful. All the rest of them, they were seriously crippled.
    Interesting. But when an enemy is staggered, having two ravagers will boost your chain bonus way higher, sometimes several hundred percentage points above what they were originally staggered at. Wouldn't this overall large damage increase offset any COM damage boost?

If that's the case, I would think a RAV/RAV/RAV after a stagger would be ideal.

Nope. Com/Com/Com is much higher damage than Rav/Rav/Rav. Com/Com/Rav really is the best.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    It may seem a little counterintuitive at first, but switching to tri-disaster after someone is staggered is extremely powerful against many bosses. As far as I can tell, things have no chain resist when staggered, and it's important to remember that the number up there is a straight-up damage multiplier. There are a good number of bosses where hitting it at 250% with cerberus will do significantly less damage than a couple rounds to get it up to 500% or even 999% and going to town. Like the Steppe boss in 13-2.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Xagar wrote:
    It may seem a little counterintuitive at first, but switching to tri-disaster after someone is staggered is extremely powerful against many bosses. As far as I can tell, things have no chain resist when staggered, and it's important to remember that the number up there is a straight-up damage multiplier. There are a good number of bosses where hitting it at 250% with cerberus will do significantly less damage than a couple rounds to get it up to 500% or even 999% and going to town. Like the Steppe boss in 13-2.
    Learn to use the free atb gauge refill to its full advantage. Switching between com/com/rav(or com) and rav/rav/rav when you are eligible for the free atb gauge refill is a very effective strategy to rack up damage over the course of a stagger.

com/com/com with role bonuses maxed out can do great damage because it isn't effected by any elemental resistances.

edit: always end a stagger with AT LEAST one Com who has smite. It does sick damage

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Xagar and gjaustin - it sounds like you guys are suggesting completely opposite approaches. How do we know which is better? Or maybe Robes suggestion of jumping between both is ideal.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    Stagger is also a great time to apply debuffs; Sab/Rav/Rav and Tri-disaster are situationally great. Generally once things are staggered Aggression is all you need to finish them off though.

ladi.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Xagar and gjaustin - it sounds like you guys are suggesting completely opposite approaches. How do we know which is better? Or maybe Robes suggestion of jumping between both is ideal.

Shen agrees with me, so listen to us :)

Or more seriously, it's a balancing act. I don't switch to Com/Com/Rav immediately after staggering. You want to pump the multiplier a little bit more, but you don't want to waste it too much on the (much lower damage) Ravagers. It depends on the stagger threshold for the monster and the length of the stagger. The higher they are, the longer you can afford to stick with Com/Rav/Rav.

Edit: I use Sab/Rav/Rav before the stagger to get all the debuffs in place for later.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It depends a lot on the specific foe. For example, you're just not going to kill an Adamantortoise without getting its gauge to 999%, it has too much hp. For many battles both are equally effective. For a good number of battles cerberus is actually better.

Xagar on
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I tend to stick debuffs at the start of the fight(not poison because it takes too much time). These debuffs will last until the first stagger ends 99% of the time. Then if necessary ill re-debuff after the stagger is over.

Will stagger increase your chances of sticking debuffs? If it does, sticking poison while an enemy is staggered is the most important thing to do.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Yes, stagger makes it super easy to apply debuffs. I have a Sab/Rav/Sab slot just for the top of a stagger so I can get the debuffs on.

Then depending on how fast the particular enemies stagger bar drops, I'll either switch to Com/Com/Com or Rav/Com/Rav (because Noel is just way better as a Com, stagger or not)

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Robes wrote:
    Will stagger increase your chances of sticking debuffs? If it does, sticking poison while an enemy is staggered is the most important thing to do.

I'm pretty sure the success rate is multiplied by the damage multiplier. It's why you want to spam Death when the Adamantoise is staggered.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Yes, stagger makes it super easy to apply debuffs. I have a Sab/Rav/Sab slot just for the top of a stagger so I can get the debuffs on.

Then depending on how fast the particular enemies stagger bar drops, I'll either switch to Com/Com/Com or Rav/Com/Rav (because Noel is just way better as a Com, stagger or not)

Now this I had no idea about and is really useful to know. I wish the game would tell you some of these things.

EDIT: Assuming this is also true in XIII and not just XIII-2.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    Man, by the time I get to the final boss I'll probably end up one-hitting them. Gained like 30k CP from trying to get bloody DLC monsters from the coliseum.

ladi.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It's all the same really.

Actually they're a little nicer in 13-2. In 13 pulsework knights were completely immune to SABs except Imperil when their core isn't exposed IIRC, then they have 0 resistance. You can hit them with deprotect and deshell in 13-2, at least for the ones I've seen.

Xagar on
This discussion has been closed.