As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Terminator 3 overall isn't terrible, but there is no way it's a better movie than 1.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Didn't hear anything about animals, but he's a smart man to steer clear of mayo. Shit is nasty.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hey I heard dan rykert killed a man

That's all I'm gonna say though and now I'm gonna leave the thread forever bye

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    I heard from a very reliable source that Dan Ryckert killed a man purple monkey dishwasher.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Well, I was going to try to find the link to where I saw it, but it was a week or two ago and I can no longer find the specific conversation.

However, on another site, one of the "Dan Ryckert is clueless" stories is how one time he bought himself some pet lizards and instead of asking or looking up what they eat he decided to offer them Cheez-its because "Cheez-its are delicious". The lizards rejected Cheez-its, but that didn't dissuade Dan Ryckert from offering them Cheez-its and nothing but Cheez-its because he couldn't comprehend why someone would reject delicious Cheez-its.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Very sad about the Vinny move.

Not a huge fan of Dan. His idiocy can be endearing, but a lot of his preferences are very, very odd. I also don't really like sports, aside from the weird stuff Drew talks about (that's pretty interesting, but I don't follow it either). I also googled the animal abuse thing and couldn't find any details related to that. So my dislike of Dan is rooted in thinking Terminator 3 is better than 1. Because he is insane. He thinks Sunshine is better than 64? How? How can any person think that?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Well, I was going to try to find the link to where I saw it, but it was a week or two ago and I can no longer find the specific conversation.

However, on another site, one of the "Dan Ryckert is clueless" stories is how one time he bought himself some pet lizards and instead of asking or looking up what they eat he decided to offer them Cheez-its because "Cheez-its are delicious". The lizards rejected Cheez-its, but that didn't dissuade Dan Ryckert from offering them Cheez-its and nothing but Cheez-its because he couldn't comprehend why someone would reject delicious Cheez-its.

Wow. What an asshat. Is this a true Dan Ryckert story?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    That sounds like a made-up story.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    I mean, it could be, and there's no source. But does that really sound less believable than his egg white story?

• Options
    And yes, Mario Sunshine was an exercise in masochism. No sensible person could prefer it to Galaxy.

• Options
    Like Jeff, Mario Sunshine is the reason it took me so long to give Galaxy a chance.

• Options
    I prefer Sunshine to 64. It's a product of the time, but the camera controls in 64 are complete butt.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sunshine and 64 are both crap.

• Options
    Running around the castle aimlessly was the best part of 64. It was really all downhill in the actual levels.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, it could be, and there's no source. But does that really sound less believable than his egg white story?

I don't give a shit how made up it sounds. You don't use an un-sourced story that you can't even find on the Internet to accuse a man of being an animal abuser.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular

I would love to know your reasoning!

I mean anyone can say "This insanely popular and revolutionary thing is crap" but without a reason it just seems like fishing for reactions

• Options

I mean anyone can say "This insanely popular and revolutionary thing is crap" but without a reason it just seems like fishing for reactions

They're not particularly fun to play. 64's whole "this is how you make games in 3D space" makes it an important game, a Citizen Kane of video games if you will, but I never particularly liked how Mario controls nor was I particularly fond of a lot of the missions you need to complete.

Then again, I also think that Super Mario 3 was the last genuinely good Mario game, so...

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

I don't give a shit how made up it sounds. You don't use an un-sourced story that you can't even find on the Internet to accuse a man of being an animal abuser.

I did a little googling and found some references to "Dan's lizard/cheez-its story" on forums and such.

Can't find the original source (I'm assuming it was something said in a podcast?), but apparently people have heard it.

• Options
    http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-don-bradman-cricket-14/2300-9261/

This one is pretty great and I'm only like 5 minutes in so far.

• Options

They're not particularly fun to play. 64's whole "this is how you make games in 3D space" makes it an important game, a Citizen Kane of video games if you will, but I never particularly liked how Mario controls nor was I particularly fond of a lot of the missions you need to complete.

Then again, I also think that Super Mario 3 was the last genuinely good Mario game, so...

I was with you until you disparaged the greatest Mario game of all time, Super Mario World.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The lizard bit is referenced elsewhere as being in this Game Informer video, but I haven't taken the time to check it out. In case somebody else cares to do some legwork:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PL9343E7E5E25BD745&v=CorS2D-k-nM#t=2596

And I remember Sunshine having really solid controls, even if the game itself had some serious issues, like the limited color palette, stupid Yoshi mechanics, and some really boring objectives.

Those challenge stages were fantastically difficult, however.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    The lizard bit is referenced elsewhere as being in this Game Informer video, but I haven't taken the time to check it out. In case somebody else cares to do some legwork:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PL9343E7E5E25BD745&v=CorS2D-k-nM#t=2596

And I remember Sunshine having really solid controls, even if the game itself had some serious issues, like the limited color palette, stupid Yoshi mechanics, and some really boring objectives.

Those challenge stages were fantastically difficult, however.

He says he stopped trying to get them to eat Cheez-Its and bought them regular food, and then gave them to a friend who took care of them.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    It's at about 43:10 in there. He didn't want to have crickets in his fridge so he tried Cheez-its for a while to no interest (and eventually he did end up buying some proper food for them). He sold them to a friend after a couple of weeks of this, apparently. (I thought maybe he was a kid but this was like 6 years ago. :rotate:)

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    seasleepy wrote: »
    It's at about 43:10 in there. He didn't want to have crickets in his fridge so he tried Cheez-its for a while to no interest (and eventually he did end up buying some proper food for them). He sold them to a friend after a couple of weeks of this, apparently. (I thought maybe he was a kid but this was like 6 years ago. :rotate:)
    He kinda still is a kid. It's weirdly endearing as I see some of myself in him. I'm still pretty picky with my food...and look, man, if I never got married, there's probably tons of stuff I wouldn't realize once I lived on my own.

• Options
    seasleepy wrote: »

So he tried something that was dumb and it didn't work so he did the smart thing, then he realized he didn't want to take care of the lizard so he did the responsible thing.

Definitely silly, but there's no animal abuse here.

• Options
    Damn guys, I don't know how you treat your pets, but in my mind not feeding an animal for 2 weeks is kinda fucked up.

• Options
    Good thing that's not what he did.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Damn guys, I don't know how you treat your pets, but in my mind not feeding an animal for 2 weeks is kinda fucked up.

He said he sold them after two weeks and bought regular food sometime before that.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

“How long did you starve these geckos?”

“I tried to feed them cheez-its for a good two weeks. And they did not like cheez-its. And I could not understand because cheez-its are so good.”

minor incident on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    There's a pretty huge line between being a complete dumbass and trying to feed a gecko something it doesn't eat for way too long and the kind of image the general phrase "animal abuse" conjures, but yeah that is definitely a mark against him in the old karma book.

Geckos can survive a good long time on the fat in their tails too...though I doubt the guy trying to feed them cheez-its knew that, either.

• Options

“I tried to feed them cheez-its for a good two weeks. And they did not like cheez-its. And I could not understand because cheez-its are so good.”

If you keep listening he says he bought them real food.

• Options
    edited July 2014

"eventually."

I'm sorry, but I automatically side against anyone who does dumb shit that endangers an animal because he can't ask questions and buy them the proper food. I've dealt with too many assholes to have any patience for the "I didn't know any better" excuse. I spend a lot of time volunteering in animal rescue and I hear it from people who chain their dogs up out in their yards, I hear it from people who try to feed their cats vegetarian diets, and I hear it from pretty much everyone else who does something dumb that hurts a pet.

The fact is that animal abuse isn't just a guy beating a dog with a stick. There are plenty of degrees and flavors.

And there's still the fact that this is all based on offhand comments from Dan on a video stream. And honestly, I don't know if he's just exaggerating shit, or if he's really that fucking stupid, but neither would surprise me based on what I've heard from him so far.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

"eventually."

I'm sorry, but I automatically side against anyone who does dumb shit that endangers an animal because he can't ask questions and buy them the proper food. I've dealt with too many assholes to have any patience for the "I didn't know any better" excuse. I spend a lot of time volunteering in animal rescue and I hear it from people who chain their dogs up out in their yards, I hear it from people who try to feed their cats vegetarian diets, and I hear it from pretty much everyone else who does something dumb that hurts a pet.

The fact is that animal abuse isn't just a guy beating a dog with a stick. There are plenty of degrees and flavors.

And there's still the fact that this is all based on offhand comments from Dan on a video stream. And honestly, I don't know if he's just exaggerating shit, or if he's really that fucking stupid, but neither would surprise me based on what I've heard from him so far.

Not defending him, but this is the same guy who tried to cook eggshells because he thought they were the whites. Selling him a lizard is like selling a two year old a lizard, without help he's going. He needs adult supervision or he'll accidentally kill it. Not out of some sort of malicious intent, but out of vast vast ignorance.

No I don't.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Very sad about the Vinny move.

But the Vinny move has basically meant a GBEast takeover in terms of site content.

Also, I can see people liking Sunshine more than 64. It's a "modern" control scheme, you basically get a "gun" that you can shoot things with, it's basically Mario 64 with a better camera and more stuff to do.

I've never played 64 and I didn't get super far into Sunshine, though.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    All this talk about the 3D Mario games has made me realize that I've never beaten any of them except for the first Super Mario Galaxy. I skipped the N64 until a few years later, and never had Mario on it. I have Sunshine, but got stuck on a level and kind of gave up.

Super Mario World will always be my favorite.

• Options
    My favorite will always be Super Mario 3. I liked World, but I didn't have a SNES until the N64 was out. I played the hell out of SMB3 though. The world map, the frog suit, Kuribo's Shoe. Everything about it was just so fun.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I still have trouble believing someone isn't just jerking my chain when they say their favorite Mario game is anything other than SMW.

• Options
    Mario Galaxy is the best

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The Crew actually looks pretty neat. I definitely want to try driving from coast to coast.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLyJpJR1utw
    No wonder they call them flyover states!

• Options
    It looks a lot better than I thought I would, I have the beta and downloaded the client but haven't had a chance to check it out personally yet.

This discussion has been closed.