As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do We Have A Beer Thread? I Want to Talk About Beer Now

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I figured out why they call this Old Horizontal...

Who makes it?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I figured out why they call this Old Horizontal...

Who makes it?

Victory Brewing

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Victory is great. We have a lot of awesome breweries in PA.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »
    I love grapefruit, it's probably my favorite of the breakfast fruits.

I don't know what breakfast fruits are, but grapefruits are awesome and I wish I could eat them.

Breakfast fruits, fruits to which you would eat with a breakfast. Oranges, Grapefruits, maybe even some grapes if you're fancy.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I don't know what breakfast fruits are, but grapefruits are awesome and I wish I could eat them.

Breakfast fruits, fruits to which you would eat with a breakfast. Oranges, Grapefruits, maybe even some grapes if you're fancy.

I don't see why those are breakfasty fruits though. The few times I eat fruit with breakfast it's usually bananas and sometimes pineapple.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular

I don't see why those are breakfasty fruits though. The few times I eat fruit with breakfast it's usually bananas and sometimes pineapple.

I see grapefruits etc has parts of hotels continental breakfast. My go to is usually banana. Sliced up and added to my bowl of cereal (when appropriate.) Yum!

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    I've had that Victory Barleywine. Yup.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Try the Harpoon Big Squeeze, it's a grapefruit shandy that's quite delicious.

• Options
    I wonder how a bottle of Innis & Gunn would fare being aged....

• Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    I got a bottle of Hop in the dark from Deschutes. It's good.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Speaking of hop and shades of dark, I tried the Stone 18th anno beer. It is a brown single hop varietal IPA featuring El Dorado hops. It said 8% on the bottle, but I went through the bomber very easily, and the head was almost belgian-pillowy.

• Options

Terribly. Clear glass.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »

Terribly. Clear glass.

Plus I think they are only like 7% and they are already a bit mediocre fresh. You could fix the clear glass issue just by keeping it in the dark, but not the other two problems.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ahhhhhhhh... Deschutes... You make some good beer.

Enjoying a nice Inversion IPA and some Black Butte Porter.

• Options
    spec2spec2 Painted in my tiger skin Especially in MichiganRegistered User regular
    If anyone was tempted by the latest Short's sampler... skip it. It is a big box of disappointment. :(

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    spec2 wrote: »
    If anyone was tempted by the latest Short's sampler... skip it. It is a big box of disappointment. :(

I liked the winter sampler from them, but the Spring one was bad, and the Summer sampler was fine, but nothing great.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    My favorite local brewery started bottling their second beer about a week ago and I just now got some!
    10497267_779722215384331_929034538510795503_o.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Nice, I'll have to watch for that to hit the shelves. (High Brass is a great name too.)

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Recently got to try Lakewood (local Dallas brewery) second anniversary beer, Lionshare II.

It was awine barrel-aged Berliner-Weisse aged on black currants, which has a pink color and very light sour and fruit notes.

It was interesting, though it tasted more carbonated than I'm used to. Also at 8 bucks for draft and a 3.6 alcohol content I'm not sure how often I'll be getting it.

Worth at least tasting it though.

• Options
    Found out my state don't carry Victory Brewing stuff.

Thanks for telling me about all this cool beer I can't get easily, Raijin, you jerk.
    I know it ain't your fault baby <3

• Options
    CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Landed a bottle of Southern Tier Pumking.

Cincitucky on
    Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Cincitucky wrote: »
    Landed a bottle of Southern Tier Pumking.

Really good stuff, it seems like they've had a much larger distribution this year. The local grocery was even doing growler fills for it.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    shadowane wrote: »

Terribly. Clear glass.

Plus I think they are only like 7% and they are already a bit mediocre fresh. You could fix the clear glass issue just by keeping it in the dark, but not the other two problems.

They have it in Brown bottles at the local store, and apparently scotch ales are pretty common to cellar. Plus it's been barrel aged.

I think it's a fine beer. I certainly can't drink more then one in an evening, such vanila.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm sitting here in my hotel room on the last night of a work trip, and I have this bottle of Southern Tier Warlock in the fridge. Pretty pumped to bust it out here in a little bit.

• Options
    How was it?

Or is your lack of reply actually a reply?

• Options
    edited August 2014

Terribly. Clear glass.

They have it in Brown bottles at the local store, and apparently scotch ales are pretty common to cellar. Plus it's been barrel aged.

I think it's a fine beer. I certainly can't drink more then one in an evening, such vanila.

Okay which Innis & Gunn brew are you talking about? I've never seen it in a brown bottle.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options

Terribly. Clear glass.

Okay which Innis & Gunn brew are you talking about? I've never seen it in a brown bottle.

Rum aged and regular. Both in brown bottles.

• Options
    My father had a gift for me when I visited last night:

vPSf04ml.jpg?1

A mixed 12 from Paper City brewing in Holyoke, MA. I'm working on a One Eared Monkey, a Peach ale. It tastes like drinking the juice from a single serve cup of fruit cocktail. Depending on how you feel about that, it's either vile or delicious.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I guess it's National Rum Day.
    Make judicious use of that information.

• Options
    spec2spec2 Painted in my tiger skin Especially in MichiganRegistered User regular
    I've got a peach and milk stout custard pie in the oven, and it looks and smells amazing. So that got me thinking about cooking with beer, y'all. What are your favorite beer-centric recipes you've made or eaten in the past? I mean, beer can go in just about anything, but I'm thinking recipes where the beer actually makes a difference.

I think mine might be the IPA mustard which I slather on everything, but as far as a whole meal I really the enjoyed saison-battered corndogs I made last year. I've also made salsa & beer and/or barbecue sauce & beer pulled pork/chicken consistently since college, so that might be my #1.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I cannot bring myself to cook with beer. I don't want to waste it in case I mess up. I am also a cautious cook, so i stick to the same things most of the time. I do boil hotdogs in cheap beer once in a while, but that is pretty much it for cooking with beer

• Options
    Paper City - Holyoke Mass
    Holyoke Dam Ale - I liked it, it's supposed to be an american pale ale, but it's a lot more like an Old Ale - almost scotch ale like in flavor and thickness. It's a bit too bitter, particularly if you let it warm on your tongue, but not enough that it ruins the beer.
    P.C. Blue - a decent Blueberry beer, not too strongly flavored, nice and tart, tastes of real blueberries and not blueberry "flavor".
    One Eared Monkey - Again, like drinking the juice from a cup of fruit cocktail. Weird, but fun. Made me feel like I was six years old.
    Ireland Parish Golden Ale - Not crazy about it. It's a little too...Raph. Too bitter and acrid for a Golden Ale. It was the last one I tried, so my palate was pretty much blown out after that Holyoke Dam Ale, I'm going to try it again tomorrow while I'm making dinner and see if I like it better on a fresh tongue.

Overall - I wouldn't go out of my way to have any of these again, and I'm not exactly keen to actually GO to Holyoke to visit the brewery...I've been there enough in my life, my Dad's from Chicopee MA, right across the river. Oh well. I love drinking new beers.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    spec2 wrote: »
    I've got a peach and milk stout custard pie in the oven, and it looks and smells amazing. So that got me thinking about cooking with beer, y'all. What are your favorite beer-centric recipes you've made or eaten in the past? I mean, beer can go in just about anything, but I'm thinking recipes where the beer actually makes a difference.

I think mine might be the IPA mustard which I slather on everything, but as far as a whole meal I really the enjoyed saison-battered corndogs I made last year. I've also made salsa & beer and/or barbecue sauce & beer pulled pork/chicken consistently since college, so that might be my #1.

http://www.thebeercook.com/2012/05/honey-and-amber-ale-chicken-thighs.html

I'd also love to reverse engineer this recipe since dude didn't write anything down.
    http://www.thebeercook.com/2012/12/shrimp-and-grits-with-stone-levitation.html

Alternatively, try your favorite dark beer to add richness to chilli. I've also heard IPA's really bring the fire for chili, but I live with a bunch of chili wusses, so I can't confirm or deny that.

• Options
    Also anyone in Central Florida should come check this out with me!

http://foundersbrewing.com/events/founders-beertopia-world-beer-ucf/

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I cannot bring myself to cook with beer. I don't want to waste it in case I mess up. I am also a cautious cook, so i stick to the same things most of the time. I do boil hotdogs in cheap beer once in a while, but that is pretty much it for cooking with beer

Hello. I recently made the greatest ever chilli I have ever made. The only two differences to the recipe compared to the usual were:

Chunks of meat instead of mince.
    Beer.

Seriously, beer chilli is the best.

• Options

Hello. I recently made the greatest ever chilli I have ever made. The only two differences to the recipe compared to the usual were:

Chunks of meat instead of mince.
    Beer.

Seriously, beer chilli is the best.

• Options
    Chili is always the safest canvas to play with. It's very hard to make "Bad" chili, it just taste different. Anything that taste good in a cup is going to be good on the plate as well.

Remember: Hoppy= Spicy, Malty = Savory.

• Options
    I used a Wychwood Hobgoblin for what it's worth.

• Options
    Does anyone know some good youtube channels for beer?

• Options
    Does anyone know some good youtube channels for beer?

You can't buy beer from youtube channels!

This discussion has been closed.