Options

[DAWN OF WAR] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III ANNOUNCED

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    on a side note, if anyone wants to do some campaign co-op you can get in touch with me on Steam, love co-oping it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/chaceincase/

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Can anybody tell me where the Dawn of War 2: Retribution save file is kept? I can't find a straight answer. A few posts said that it is saved in the cloud, but even with cloud saving turned off it doesn't put anything into its save folder in your documents.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Can anybody tell me where the Dawn of War 2: Retribution save file is kept? I can't find a straight answer. A few posts said that it is saved in the cloud, but even with cloud saving turned off it doesn't put anything into its save folder in your documents.

Had a dig about and eventually found out that it's located here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<some acc number>\56400\remote

(or wherever you installed steam to, naturally)

Edit: Just to add that I'm not entirely certain that's the definitive save location - but I can't find it anywhere else. I imagine it's slightly complicated by GFWL handling saves in the past.

altid on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    altid wrote: »

Had a dig about and eventually found out that it's located here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<some acc number>\56400\remote

(or wherever you installed steam to, naturally)

Edit: Just to add that I'm not entirely certain that's the definitive save location - but I can't find it anywhere else. I imagine it's slightly complicated by GFWL handling saves in the past.

Hah, I saw that mentioned somewhere, but while looking at like 3 other Google results I must have accidentally closed that tab or opened a new one over it. Of course that is the one that's correct. Thanks for the reminder.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    so glad Tarkus wasn't the canon traitor in Retribution.
    fun fact: that was dictated by voice actor availability.

would do that over if i could.

You were a cast member Matrias? 8-)

writer. edit: for Retribution.

I have a question:

Why exactly did all of the campaigns have that one character that never actually contributes to the plot? Lord Bernn, the Farseer, the Kommando, and half the Chaos cast were conspicuously absent from their respective campaigns.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

I have a question:

Why exactly did all of the campaigns have that one character that never actually contributes to the plot? Lord Bernn, the Farseer, the Kommando, and half the Chaos cast were conspicuously absent from their respective campaigns.

again, guys, I have to decline on the question answering. sets bad precedent.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Because we are fans and we want all the answers and will be ready to burn you at the stake if those answers dont line up with our own personal head canons. :p

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Hansen88aHansen88a Registered User new member
    Awesome trailer! Would be cool if they tried to make the game more competitive so an esports scene could grow. Would make the game much more popular!

• Options
    I decided to go back and play the Retribution campaign again. Great fun, but in hindsight the maps make pathing really, really awkward. Almost all of them are tight, narrow corridors and lanes. Fine for a 4 hero team, but not so good when trying to get an ork horde down them.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I wonder if some of the style of the newest trailer was at all influenced by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gGG4fpGB_w

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    EtemEtem Registered User regular
    I will put countless hours into this game.

Also, Total War style Horus Heresy game would be cool, I find that time period more interesting.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Etem wrote: »
    I will put countless hours into this game.

Also, Total War style Horus Heresy game would be cool, I find that time period more interesting.

oh, that's right. the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy would be a fantastic setting for a large scale game.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    The heresy period better include a dark mechanicus faction if they do it! Go Titan battles! Also a bonus if they include little known enemies (ai campaign is fine) like the technocracy, laeran, and xenos of Murder.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular

I have a question:

As someone unrelated to the game's development, I can answer that.

THQ was basically on fire at that point and voice acting ain't cheap.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I was feeling Orky thanks to watching Total War: Warhammer. So loaded up the Retribution Ork campaign again. The Capt is da best.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Iblis wrote: »

I have a question:

As someone unrelated to the game's development, I can answer that.

THQ was basically on fire at that point and voice acting ain't cheap.

And they had to do a lot of it for Retribution. From what I remember, some form of contract required that they re-record every piece of dialogue in the game rather than re-use the DoW2/Chaos rising voices. I think it was something to do with Retribution being sold as a standalone product whereas Chaos Rising was an expansion to an existing product.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    So update: Gameplay footage is going to be shown at E3 at the PC Gamer show, June 13.

• Options
    we did a stream today and released a new screenshot.https://youtu.be/zcRCiK065T0?t=1848

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I still marvel that Love Can Bloom, the DoW fanfic between Taldeer and a Vindicare assassin, actually got referenced in some rule book or other.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I still marvel that Love Can Bloom, the DoW fanfic between Taldeer and a Vindicare assassin, actually got referenced in some rule book or other.

Heresy.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Fantasy Flight references a lot of fan stuff in their 40K RPGs. They had a supplement reference someone's Dark Heresy campaign where a random library nerd, thanks to exploding dice and truly ridiculous luck, went from having his job be "Die so someone important can live" to "So, we've got ...some number of demons in that room. Don't have an exact count, space marines were too busy screaming to give details, but I'm sure you'll be fine."

• Options

Heresy.

Super hot heresy.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

Heresy.

Super hot heresy.

The most insidious variety.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Heresy.

Super hot heresy.

The most insidious variety.
    Slaanesh wrote:
    Gentlemen, you had my curiosity but now you have my attention...

• Options
    LCB_Logo1.jpg

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm not entirely familiar with the fanfic but I'm pretty sure this will always be my favorite thing to come from it
    42962_c381f697e1ae964f23e63025137f3b4e.jpg

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    The Emperor Himself has weighed in on the matter.

Start at 4m:56s

https://youtu.be/97CmxA1FA5s?t=4m56s

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    My take on fanfiction is that the whole point is to be derivative of the source. Unless it's a series that got cut off short and left the audience hanging, it seems a bit presumptious to attempt to extend a source work. Fanfics are for what-if's and alternate universes and branching divergences imho. So I've never really understood the hostility towards things like love can bloom.

But that was a funny video, I need to check that series out.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    for an IP that's been stagnant since its inception almost 30 years ago, that series is liquid catharsis

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Heads up: PC Gamer show live right now, and first up is Relic:

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-watch-the-pc-gaming-show-live/

EDIT: They just showed gameplay footage. It's hard to tell from a partially blurry video, but MAN it looks like they've upped the production values.

EDIT 2: Aw what? Man they were on for less than 10 minutes. Apparently official videos of the E3 footage will be released on the 24th. Although personally I suspect other sites will be given their own footage to run with.

I'm also guessing this particular show will be up on the PCGamer youtube channel at some time within the next few days, if not today.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Footage up on official channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEQM9sbQ4fk

Thoughts:

- The production values are definitely way up there. It looks like something I'd expect of Blizzard

- Missing Gabriel Angelos' original VA. :(

- Imperial Knight is ridiculous

subedii on
  • Options
    i enjoyed it. I especially like the extreme size difference in units now. Big battlefield powers actually look the part. I especially liked the shoulder missiles on, that is a dreadnaught I think. I also like how the landing impacts have impact and surprise. And orbital lasers... squeee!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    That's the Imperial Knight.

Normal guy < Space Marine < Dreadnought < Knight < Titan

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    That footage. I'm throwing money at my screen but it's not doing anything! This looks like the detail of DoW2 with the scale of DoW1.

Do want, so badly, right now!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Orogogus wrote: »

Ahhh ok. I knew it probably wasn't a titan and could only fit a dreadnaught in there. But I was thinking they were supposed to be roughly mansized in all the books I'd read.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    for those who watched the show, you would have caught that the knight is piloted by lady solaria, a character i am very excited about.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    ToyD wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »

Ahhh ok. I knew it probably wasn't a titan and could only fit a dreadnaught in there. But I was thinking they were supposed to be roughly mansized in all the books I'd read.

Roughly mansized might be a stretch. I think a Marine is about 7 feet tall. A standard dreadnought towers over them, but not quite twice as tall. I'd say 12 feet -- pretty big. A knight is about 20-30 feet tall, approximately a 2 or 3 story building.

EDIT: I think GW would have a pretty good thing on their hands if they released a PC army painter tool in VR, letting people see all these things in 1:1 scale.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That looks very pretty already.

Kinda ironic that Angelos now seems to be wearing cataphract terminator armour, the most cumbersome variant available, while jumping around as if he had a jump pack :)

• Options
    Tataros

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Tataros

Gesundheit.

It looks fine. Just not much of a game I'm interested in. Restricted cover, and it seems that base building is essentially training buildings only. No defensive structures. Gameplay just looks like chaos and not chaos that entertains me.

Because defensive structures aren't cool I guess. Plus gotta leave something for IG when they show up.

But in that case, why bother with structures at all? Why not keep bigger armies and keep no bases from DoW2?

OpposingFarce on