As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlestar Galactica: Xena, Warrior Cylon

• Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS!

Hopefully until the writers can't make anything good of it any more, and not when the network decides it's not worth the expense. BSG is a show that will be making them money for a long time, I'm sure.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    oddmentoddment Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thing is, if it does REALLY well, the network may decide its worth keeping the show running even if the writers don't think there's anything left to work with... the network could continue the show with new writers if they wanted to, couldn't they?

Saying that though, from what I've seen and heard of the cast, they'd probably all pack up and leave if it got to the point of self-referential humour to the extent Voyager got to, especially Mary McDonnell and Commander Adama (I forget his real name). But then there wouldn't be a true ending.

And again, if the network decides to just cancel the show, no proper ending. God, I hope you're right and the network keeps its nose out.

Does BSG keep on getting better after the first series then? Are there any points where it looks like it may slide downhill? Has the first half of season 3 been a success?

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    oddment wrote:
    Thing is, if it does REALLY well, the network may decide its worth keeping the show running even if the writers don't think there's anything left to work with... the network could continue the show with new writers if they wanted to, couldn't they?

Saying that though, from what I've seen and heard of the cast, they'd probably all pack up and leave if it got to the point of self-referential humour to the extent Voyager got to, especially Mary McDonnell and Commander Adama (I forget his real name). But then there wouldn't be a true ending.

And again, if the network decides to just cancel the show, no proper ending. God, I hope you're right and the network keeps its nose out.

Does BSG keep on getting better after the first series then? Are there any points where it looks like it may slide downhill? Has the first half of season 3 been a success?
    If Olmos leaves the show, I leave the show. I don't care if he's just a walking speech machine; it wouldn't be the same show without him.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    No Cars GoNo Cars Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Can someone please provide a link to the 'talk to the fans' thing for me please?

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    oddment wrote:
    Anywho, just so that we comprehend everything (though we think we have it down pretty well now), I'm buying the miniseries, which shud be here by Monday. Cannot wait to see that!
    Isn't the miniseries included in most Series 1 sets?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    oddment wrote:

Most definitely. I thought season one was good, but season two blows it out the water. Season three started well, then slowed a little for 2-3 episodes then picked up again, but were those 2-3 episodes in any of the other TV series' I watch, I'd consider them to be the highlight of the season ;).

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    oddment wrote:

Yes, yes and yes.

More specifically, the second "yes" refers to the second half of the second season, which saw an abuse of the "X hours before" thing and culminated with Black Market. But it got better after that episode.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    oddment wrote:
    Anywho, just so that we comprehend everything (though we think we have it down pretty well now), I'm buying the miniseries, which shud be here by Monday. Cannot wait to see that!

Not in the UK :(.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No Cars Go wrote:
    Can someone please provide a link to the 'talk to the fans' thing for me please?

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/video/index.php?cat=features&vid=53336
    oddment wrote:

It definitely keeps getting better after the first season. I think alot of people really really enjoyed season 2. Opinions on season three have really varied, some people really liked it and some people felt the writing quality declined a bit from season two. Personally, I've enjoyed season three so far, and am looking forward to the rest of the season.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    oddment wrote:
    In the US it is. Not in the UK.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    No Cars Go wrote:

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/video/index.php?cat=features&vid=53336
    oddment wrote:

It definitely keeps getting better after the first season. I think alot of people really really enjoyed season 2. Opinions on season three have really varied, some people really liked it and some people felt the writing quality declined a bit from season two. Personally, I've enjoyed season three so far, and am looking forward to the rest of the season.
    For me, season three has had some of the very best episodes of the series, but the average quality per episode seems to be a bit lower than the average from previous seasons. Higher highs, lower middles.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It's a shame the miniseries wasn't bundled with season one here... its pretty much required viewing by the looks of things (we're getting by okay without it so far as I said, but I do still really want to see it).

I hope when season 3 comes to DVD here, they make more effort with the extras. I'd love interviews with the cast and crew, some behind the scenes stuff, things like that. I find the making of shows interesting to watch, being a film-maker myself (tho not currently employed as such... damn you media industry! damn you!!!), and love to hear creators reasoning behind decisions made on the show.

I really need to start writing again. I've had so many good ideas (well, good in my head), but my motivation to script them has declined since leaving University and having to work any job at all to make money. I think BSG may give me some inspiration to start writing again.

See, BSG is ace on many levels!

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    oddment wrote:
    It's a shame the miniseries wasn't bundled with season one here... its pretty much required viewing by the looks of things (we're getting by okay without it so far as I said, but I do still really want to see it).

I hope when season 3 comes to DVD here, they make more effort with the extras. I'd love interviews with the cast and crew, some behind the scenes stuff, things like that. I find the making of shows interesting to watch, being a film-maker myself (tho not currently employed as such... damn you media industry! damn you!!!), and love to hear creators reasoning behind decisions made on the show.

I really need to start writing again. I've had so many good ideas (well, good in my head), but my motivation to script them has declined since leaving University and having to work any job at all to make money. I think BSG may give me some inspiration to start writing again.

See, BSG is ace on many levels!

You'd like the podcasts that are available from scifi.com that accompany each episode. Ron Moore goes into some interesting detail when it comes to character choices and stuff. Where Helo's character came from, for instance (he wasn't supposed to make it past the mini-series).

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've just finished watching the first season and I think it's incredible. I've truly never seen any Sci-Fi as compulsively watchable as this - I'm in the middle of my exams but whenever I finish one episode I really don't have the willpower to say "no" to the next.

For people complaining about the lack of miniseries in the season 1 boxset, you can buy it on its own from Play.com for a fiver. I actually downloaded the first season but I love it so much I've bought the miniseries and I'm saving up for the next two as we speak. It's such a human and natural series, every little accomplishment is a big deal and nothing's forgotten. The ship physics border on geek fanservice. I wish the guys who reimagined this could do the same for Star Trek, a show really in need of the same gritty treatment (and some better writing).

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, thats where I purchased the miniseries from (it just arrived! and now I have to wait for my bf to get home from work so we can watch it!), although by the looks of things its just the same as the season 1 boxset, as in it really has no extras (okay, season one has some deleted scenes... this appears to have nothing at all).

I wonder if they'll actually rerelease all of BSG here, with more extras? That'd be nice...

Oh, and I agree... Star Trek given the BSG treatment could be good, but then you'd alienate most of the fans, and to be honest, theres not much to work with in the whole reality sense. Theres too much bullshit stuff to get through. And I can't see them starting from scratch with it like with BSG, as Star Trek has such a huge fan base when compared to the original BSG.

I think what they need is to fire all producers and writers from previous Star Trek series and make a clean break with a new premise. I always thought they could totally expand on Voyagers premise of a ship lost, away from its home (which I know is very BSG like... but 'home' wasn't a mythological place, it was real), and instead of it being in a different quadrant of our galaxy, perhaps it's in a completely different galaxy, like andromeda. That'd give them liscence to create new alien species that aren't just humanoid (at least Voyager tried with species 8472 I guess...), and some completely new moral dilemmas could follow. Plus, completely new story that doesn't really have to follow any of the Star Trek lore before it.

Oh, but if that happen, please PLEASE can the ships holodeck be irrevocably damaged when they get taken to the new galaxy, and they be forced to use its empty shell to just play sports in instead? Tennis balls can't come to life afterall. Though in Star Trek, who knows?

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Oh, also... does anyone in the UK know where the cheapest place to purchase season 2 of BSG is? I can only find it for like £37 at the mo.... which seems a bit silly for a 20 episode season... you can get 2 seasons of stuff like 24, Buffy, Angel, Friends etc for that price!

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    oddment wrote:
    Oh, also... does anyone in the UK know where the cheapest place to purchase season 2 of BSG is? I can only find it for like £37 at the mo.... which seems a bit silly for a 20 episode season... you can get 2 seasons of stuff like 24, Buffy, Angel, Friends etc for that price!

Best deal is £45 for both season one and two together, but seeing as you've already got season one, you don't have many other options than to buy for that price.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    oddment wrote:
    Star Trek given the BSG treatment could be good, but then you'd alienate most of the fans, and to be honest, theres not much to work with in the whole reality sense.

From what I understand, they already alienated most fans. That's why the franchise was cancelled.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    This is the cheapest I can find BSG Season 2 for, and its £10 less than pretty much anywhere else. It's new aswell. However, I've never used the site before. Does anyone know they can be trusted? Will they deliver?

http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7001000121842

Edit: I did some research, and they seem to be a decent enough site from reviews I've read. I've gone ahead and ordered it... I'll let you know how it goes. But if any UK fans are desperate to get their hands on season two, thats the cheapest I've found the proper UK region 2 release for. All other sites selling it cheap were selling the Asian region 2.

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Glyph wrote:
    oddment wrote:
    Star Trek given the BSG treatment could be good, but then you'd alienate most of the fans, and to be honest, theres not much to work with in the whole reality sense.

From what I understand, they already alienated most fans. That's why the franchise was cancelled.
    And really, the best Star Trek ever got whas when Ron Moore was behind the reigns.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Glyph wrote:
    oddment wrote:

And really, the best Star Trek ever got whas when Ron Moore was behind the reigns.

We certainly won't suffer such painful utterances as "temporal cold war" or "realigning the EPS manifolds" or "franchise fatigue" on BSG so long as he's at the helm.

Glyph on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So. [realspoiler:24e538c0a2] I hear they're killing Starbuck. Anyone know anything about that?[/realspoiler:24e538c0a2]

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    saggio wrote:
    So. [realspoiler:bc90cd11f7] I hear they're killing Starbuck. Anyone know anything about that?[/realspoiler:bc90cd11f7]

[spoiler:bc90cd11f7]SOMEONE is biting it. Some people might think it's Starbuck due to the "sploiler" given away in the Season 3 blooper reel, which can be found a few pages back. The general concensus is that she was BSing for comedic effect.[/spoiler:bc90cd11f7]

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    saggio wrote:
    So. [realspoiler:1d6ea7d0a2] I hear they're killing Starbuck. Anyone know anything about that?[/realspoiler:1d6ea7d0a2]

[spoiler:1d6ea7d0a2]SOMEONE is biting it. Some people might think it's Starbuck due to the "sploiler" given away in the Season 3 blooper reel, which can be found a few pages back. The general concensus is that she was BSing for comedic effect.[/spoiler:1d6ea7d0a2]

[spoiler:1d6ea7d0a2]Probably Anders. He kinda on the outs with a lot of people. Then when he dies Starbuck is going to go through some ultimate guilt phase, and refuse Apollo for awhile. Then she'll get over him and they'll be hotter than ever.[/spoiler:1d6ea7d0a2]

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well let's be logical about it. By process of elimination...

[spoiler:82a9321cc1]I don't see how they could kill off anyone important. So I think the big seven - Adama, Apollo, Helo, Starbuck, Roslin, Tigh, Baltar - are safe. Same the Cylon characters. For most of these actors, this is their big break so they're not just going to leave the show and sign away their growing fan base. And I doubt writers would want to deal with that kind of backlash either.

My opinion, it'd have to be a minor or secondary character like Cally or Anders or Dee - someone regular enough that we would kind of miss them (like Billy or Ellen), but not important enough to throw the series. But since Dee is the only black (sort of) character that gets semi-regular screentime, I doubt they'd go there. For anyone keeping score, I think Tyrol's character is between primary and secondary status.
    [/spoiler:82a9321cc1]

Glyph on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Endomatic wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    saggio wrote:
    So. [realspoiler:913148b560] I hear they're killing Starbuck. Anyone know anything about that?[/realspoiler:913148b560]

[spoiler:913148b560]SOMEONE is biting it. Some people might think it's Starbuck due to the "sploiler" given away in the Season 3 blooper reel, which can be found a few pages back. The general concensus is that she was BSing for comedic effect.[/spoiler:913148b560]

[spoiler:913148b560]Probably Anders. He kinda on the outs with a lot of people. Then when he dies Starbuck is going to go through some ultimate guilt phase, and refuse Apollo for awhile. Then she'll get over him and they'll be hotter than ever.[/spoiler:913148b560]

Fuck that.

[spoiler:913148b560] I needs my man candy that makes me question my own sexuality. Anders is my favortist little terrorist.[/spoiler:913148b560]

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So... the show returns tonight.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    saggio wrote:
    So. [realspoiler:eaec4a52c9] I hear they're killing Starbuck. Anyone know anything about that?[/realspoiler:eaec4a52c9]

[realspoiler:eaec4a52c9]I doubt they are killing Starbuck. Looking at the synopsis from this link, she appears to survive past "Rapture."[/realspoiler:eaec4a52c9]

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Glyph wrote:

[spoiler:51c76629e6]I don't see how they could kill off anyone important. So I think the big seven - Adama, Apollo, Helo, Starbuck, Roslin, Tigh, Baltar - are safe. Same the Cylon characters. For most of these actors, this is their big break so they're not just going to leave the show and sign away their growing fan base. And I doubt writers would want to deal with that kind of backlash either.

My opinion, it'd have to be a minor or secondary character like Cally or Anders or Dee - someone regular enough that we would kind of miss them (like Billy or Ellen), but not important enough to throw the series. But since Dee is the only black (sort of) character that gets semi-regular screentime, I doubt they'd go there. For anyone keeping score, I think Tyrol's character is between primary and secondary status.
    [/spoiler:51c76629e6]
    [spoiler:51c76629e6]If anyone, I'd think D'anna.

I mean, seriously, she's been a "special guest star" for over half a season.

Oddness of killing off an entire series of cylons notwithstanding.[/spoiler:51c76629e6]

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    WHY wrote:
    Glyph wrote:

[spoiler:ec14eb8941]I don't see how they could kill off anyone important. So I think the big seven - Adama, Apollo, Helo, Starbuck, Roslin, Tigh, Baltar - are safe. Same the Cylon characters. For most of these actors, this is their big break so they're not just going to leave the show and sign away their growing fan base. And I doubt writers would want to deal with that kind of backlash either.

[/spoiler:ec14eb8941]
    [spoiler:ec14eb8941]If anyone, I'd think D'anna.

Oddness of killing off an entire series of cylons notwithstanding.[/spoiler:ec14eb8941]
    It doesn't look like she's done much since BG though. She's filming one movie, and she did a few episodes of Veronica Mars. I wouldn't be suprised if they make her a full cast member as much as they use her.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wait, does the show return tonight? Tonight is not Jan. 26th. I was told it's Jan 26. THIS MUST BE CLARIFIED NOW.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    New episode tonight. Called "Rapture."

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    WHY wrote:
    Glyph wrote:

[spoiler:79636eef8a]I don't see how they could kill off anyone important. So I think the big seven - Adama, Apollo, Helo, Starbuck, Roslin, Tigh, Baltar - are safe. Same the Cylon characters. For most of these actors, this is their big break so they're not just going to leave the show and sign away their growing fan base. And I doubt writers would want to deal with that kind of backlash either.

[/spoiler:79636eef8a]
    [spoiler:79636eef8a]If anyone, I'd think D'anna.

Oddness of killing off an entire series of cylons notwithstanding.[/spoiler:79636eef8a]
    It doesn't look like she's done much since BG though. She's filming one movie, and she did a few episodes of Veronica Mars. I wouldn't be suprised if they make her a full cast member as much as they use her.

[spoiler:79636eef8a]I dread to think what they'd come up with if they ever had to write her out. "Well she saw the Final Five and they killed her and every other Three for it. Now she'll only appear as one of Gaius' apparitions... mostly during Christmas specials."[/spoiler:79636eef8a]

Glyph on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    OH MAN, new episode tonight. I'm so pumped.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Regarding Xena, Warrior Cylon... [spoiler:847191823c]Apparently her contract negotiations didn't go so smoothly according to an interview I saw with... David Eick, I think? And given her characters penchant for suicide and knowing the "unknowable", writing her character out completely would seem pretty simple.[/spoiler:847191823c]

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    :shock:

Edit:

[spoiler:2733e086cf]I think I win the prize[/spoiler:2733e086cf]

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh come the fuck on! Enough dramatics, just spit it out with the final 5!

[spoiler:c58e7e1b1b]Welcome back Mr. President![/spoiler:c58e7e1b1b]

EDIT: Wow, that's a convient write off for her.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [spoiler:946cb8b7f8]Psh, Leoben gets to run around willy-nilly and D'anna gets boxed?[/spoiler:946cb8b7f8]

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited January 2007
    [realspoiler:94721102ba]So, they're hinting that Starbuck could be a possible Cylon.. or am I just seeing too deep into things...[/realspoiler:94721102ba]

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Athena is the biggest badass on the show, pretty much.

Mai-Kero on
This discussion has been closed.