As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You tapped that ass. Presumably, it was phat.

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was kinda thinking that
    the winter court or winter queen would come in and save him, isn't that lake supposed to be pretty cold or something?

M.D. on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was kinda thinking that
    the winter court or winter queen would come in and save him, isn't that lake supposed to be pretty cold or something?
    well Changes was durring the fall right? Typically Lake Michigan doesn't get ball freezing cold until about a month into winter. I mean its chilly....but not super cold

and the next book is entitled Ghost Story, so I'm pretty sure its about Harry as a ghost

Bucketman on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    see, about the whole
    Odin thing
    , I like that it kinda gives validity to all aspects of magic and myth in the Dresden world.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mysst wrote: »
    see, about the whole
    Odin thing
    , I like that it kinda gives validity to all aspects of magic and myth in the Dresden world.

Plus, we knew he had to be there, somewhere, kicking around.

It was made obvious a long time ago ...
    ... that Hilda Ms Whatserface was a Valkyrie, and she works for a company call Monoc Security. You know, one eye? Odin? It wasn't like Odin was just thrown into Changes to up the ante; he's obviously had his eye* on Chicago for awhile, given Hilda Hotpant's involvement with Marconi.

I'm sorry.
    No, I'm not.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    risumon wrote: »
    I rather enjoyed the events of Turncoat, just a bit more than I did for Changes.
    Turncoat was the one where he claimed the power of that primal island, right? I rather enjoyed where that sequence of events went.

yeah, kinda sad that they seem to (for now) have dropped that....WAIT A MINUTE

is that island
    located in the body of water he was in when he got shot???
    Lake Michigan, yah. That is where the boat is docked and all.
    the island is how harry will come back. its just like lost

If I recall correctly (I may not be),
    isn't apparent death (to the mortal world) a necessity to become a Winter knight. or am I pulling this from my ass?
    I could swear I recall something about that from one of the earlier novels.
    No, Death is the only way to get out of being a Knight of either court.

Also, the Powercreep in this series isn't too bad. The elder wizards are fucking powerful and Harry is still very young for a Wizard. Everyone says he has plenty of raw power, but he is slowly learning to refine it down and channel it so he is more than a "brute" of the magic world.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    magic how do you feel about harry
    being saved by the island like lost

as i just decided is going to happen
    meaning he is a ghost tied to the island, and eventually they build him a new body to inhabit

Arch on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tho still, even with what Harry is capable of. His wits and luck are still the only thing that got him out of alot of jams. Hell, I'd say raw power was the thing that works the least for him. Its most often that he escapes death by the skin of his teeth. And I don't think that you can say this last book bringing in certain characters was some huge jump in the power levels he deals with.
    I mean... Mab... Mab was in book 4... That early. And she is most likely the most powerfull being Harry has dealt with period

cptrugged on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Actually, for me the most impressive display of wizardry (not just magic) in the series goes to the Merlin in Turn Coat.

It wasn't flashy but it was clutch in a way that's hard to exaggerate.

Seriously on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Lost finale left me pretty overwhelmed and emotional (great stuff) so I decided to lighten my mood and treated myself to the latest Dresden book, even though it's only out in hardback here.

I'm six chapters into Changes and have noticed a slight flaw in this plan.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I still have yet to read Turncoat and Changes. I'll probably buy Turncoat on my nook after reading what I've got now, but hearing people's reactions to the ending or whatever makes me want to wait till the next book to start Changes.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah you are going to need something for Changes fatigue and Lost fatigue at this point.

Seriously on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Why, Jim? Why couldn't it be a funny book? Why couldn't it start with Harry rescuing a box of puppies from a burning building while being chased by a napalm poop flinging monkey demon? Where's my napalm poop flinging monkey demon, Jim?

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah Desktop I'd stop for a bit

reading that book in four hours straight was almost as emotional as reading Homestuck in one day

YaYa on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anybody else have this feeling about Changes:
    I felt like Butcher's basically doing a reboot for Dresden. I don't know if he lost track of where he was going with the story or had written himself into a corner with the constant escalation and growing list of enemies or what but the whole book seemed to be aimed at pulling Dresden's life apart so Butcher could put it back together some other way. This is probably major "no duh" territory but I haven't seen anybody in here say it and I don't know what everyone else thinks.

I've ended up thinking that I don't know where he's going with it but I really hope it's good, because most authors wouldn't be brave enough to do what he did.

Peen on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    magic how do you feel about harry
    being saved by the island like lost

as i just decided is going to happen
    meaning he is a ghost tied to the island, and eventually they build him a new body to inhabit

no no Arch
    Not build him a body carve him a body, then Blackstaff will insribe it with runes and Michael will give it many blessing, he will be the Wizard Supreme.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anybody else have this feeling about Changes:
    I felt like Butcher's basically doing a reboot for Dresden. I don't know if he lost track of where he was going with the story or had written himself into a corner with the constant escalation and growing list of enemies or what but the whole book seemed to be aimed at pulling Dresden's life apart so Butcher could put it back together some other way. This is probably major "no duh" territory but I haven't seen anybody in here say it and I don't know what everyone else thinks.

I've ended up thinking that I don't know where he's going with it but I really hope it's good, because most authors wouldn't be brave enough to do what he did.
    No I can't really see a reason to reset the guy's power level. If anything, it's likely Marcone playing silly bugger with the rules of the magical world and forcing Harry to owe him a BIG favour. As in, get Sniper to shoot him, grab the body, and let his life signs fade to technical death, and use the miracle of medical science plus some magic thing up Gard's sleeve, et viola no more winter knight and a a super pissed off Queen Mab. That last part will become a recurring issue, and hilarity will ensue.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm still pulling for Kincade being the triggerman. I am curious to see the significance of the train in his white light vision, and the voice he hears -- as to whether or not that voice was his mother's and if he will meet with/talk to his mother's spirit.

The description of the death stroke to the Red Court was pretty intense. And I guess that means the White Council has won the war. However, the power vacuum that is going to be created when one of the most prominent and established forces of the Accords Signed Nations is going to be rather chaotic.

I am also awaiting the arrival of a bigger presence of the Black Court, I would like to see Cowl show up again.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I'm still pulling for Kincade being the triggerman. I am curious to see the significance of the train in his white light vision, and the voice he hears -- as to whether or not that voice was his mother's and if he will meet with/talk to his mother's spirit.

The description of the death stroke to the Red Court was pretty intense. And I guess that means the White Council has won the war. However, the power vacuum that is going to be created when one of the most prominent and established forces of the Accords Signed Nations is going to be rather chaotic.

I am also awaiting the arrival of a bigger presence of the Black Court, I would like to see Cowl show up again.
    Not quite sure which will be more chaotic, the filling of the void in the Accords, or the ones in all the world governments and large scale organizations.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Who all are accorded nations anyways?
    White council
    White court
    Red Court
    Black Court? - vaguely remember something about them breaking the rooms and getting booted...
    Marcone
    Summer/Winter?
    Denarians

That is all I can think of so far. I know the Knights were mentioned as not being accorded. Not sure if Norwegian power is accorded.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like how he has made Toot-Toot an actual character through out the series and not just a throwaway mention.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    All praise the za-lord!

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    White council
    White court
    Red Court
    Black Court? - vaguely remember something about them breaking the rooms and getting booted...
    Marcone
    Summer/Winter?
    Denarians

That is all I can think of so far. I know the Knights were mentioned as not being accorded. Not sure if Norwegian power is accorded.
    He mentions in at least one book that there are other accorded folk who aren't nations; I remember he mentions dragons specifically, I don't remember off hand if there were others. I also think that the Archive (as an entity, not necessarily one in particular) probably signed them because she keeps showing up as a neutral mediator.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    White council
    White court
    Red Court
    Marcone
    Summer/Winter?
    Denarians

He mentions in at least one book that there are other accorded folk who aren't nations; I remember he mentions dragons specifically, I don't remember off hand if there were others. I also think that the Archive (as an entity, not necessarily one in particular) probably signed them because she keeps showing up as a neutral mediator.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PedantophilePedantophile Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    White council
    White court
    Red Court
    Marcone
    Summer/Winter?
    Denarians

Ohh Jade Court, I completely forgot Shiro mentions them.

Also regarding Changes as a
    reboot/restart of Dresden.
    IIRC Butcher has stated that he's had most of the story planned out since Storm Front. So unless that's authorial spin, I trust that Butcher knows where he's going with this. And I never really felt like he was floundering (Harry maybe, but not Butcher.)

Pedantophile on
    "Considering what your people did to my people during WWII I think a little kissing and breast fondling to be minor reparations, at best."
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I will say this

if nothing else, at least Jim seems to have a plan

take that as you will

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think this is just the next step, not a reboot.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Butcher said that fans could see this as the "mid-point" of the over-all Dresden storyline. And he thinks he's going to do at least seven more books before the end.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Im going to be around a decade older at least by the time I see the end of this series. Its going to be a painful wait. Read book in 2 days, wait 1 year. Rinse repeat.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Butcher said that fans could see this as the "mid-point" of the over-all Dresden storyline. And he thinks he's going to do at least seven more books before the end.

Can I get a source on that? It's not that I think you're lying, I just want to know

Because I could have sworn I read somewhere that after the next book, the series was ending over the course of three books

Silven on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fuck. Yes. I love Dresden Files. I have some questions I will spoil if anyone could answer them for me. I am re-reading the series right now to finish Changes and I am on Death Masks (in my opinion, one of the stronger books).

So, if one of these questions is answered in Changes, feel free to just say that and not spoil it for me.

1. Who is Cowl? My money is on DuMorne.

2. What is the significance of the dagger that Lea received from Bianca in book three, Grave Peril.

3. When is Murphy going to finally take up the third Sword of the Cross?

4. What is going on with Mab?

4a. Do we find out what was the significance of Lea being Frozen at Arctis Tor? This really bugged me, because I think Dresden would have tried to save Lea.

5. Do we find out what is the significance of the battle remains at Arctis Tor? It's suggested that it is something to do with Outlanders coming to Earth and fighting the Winter court or something?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Fuck. Yes. I love Dresden Files. I have some questions I will spoil if anyone could answer them for me. I am re-reading the series right now to finish Changes and I am on Death Masks (in my opinion, one of the stronger books).

So, if one of these questions is answered in Changes, feel free to just say that and not spoil it for me.

1. Who is Cowl? My money is on DuMorne.

2. What is the significance of the dagger that Lea received from Bianca in book three, Grave Peril.

3. When is Murphy going to finally take up the third Sword of the Cross?

4. What is going on with Mab?

4a. Do we find out what was the significance of Lea being Frozen at Arctis Tor? This really bugged me, because I think Dresden would have tried to save Lea.

5. Do we find out what is the significance of the battle remains at Arctis Tor? It's suggested that it is something to do with Outlanders coming to Earth and fighting the Winter court or something?

I can answer some.
    3. Changes. Kind of.

4a. Yes. also in Changes.

5. Yes. I forget when/which book, though. It should fairly obvious when it shows up.

Silven on
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Finished book one. It was good.

If this series starts going all Anita Blake on me, I will punch a hobo.

webber on
    This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    don't worry, book one's easily the worst

Fool Moon is leaps and bounds better and they really just keep improving

YaYa on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    webber wrote: »

there is a part where

[semi spoiler]
    he fucks his half vampire girlfriend while she is tied to the ceiling with a magic rope

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Half Vampire doesn't even seem to make sense after the first book.

Yaya that is good to hear.

webber on
    This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »

there is a part where

[semi spoiler]
    he fucks his half vampire girlfriend while she is tied to the ceiling with a magic rope

Yeah scenes like this are really awkward and lessen the series as a whole, but there are next to none of them and you can easily skip over without missing anything.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »

there is a part where

[semi spoiler]

Yeah scenes like this are really awkward and lessen the series as a whole, but there are next to none of them and you can easily skip over without missing anything.

See I got the exact opposite. I thought they rounded out his character pretty well. Just enough to make him seem more human. I'm glad it didn't go all clan of the cave bear on us. Though there is a hell of a lot of "nipples poking against blouses" throughout the entire series.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's just... we didn't need it to go into such detail. Only a few things kept it from going to romance novel level.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Thing is, romance sells really well.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also it's better than the constant "HARRY NEVER HAS SEX BECAUSE HE IS A HERO AND GOOD PERSON" thing.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
This discussion has been closed.