Options

Craft Mines, not War! MINECRAFT

EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
logo.gif
Thanks to Kris_xK for the original OP.

1010842689_DYj3P-L.jpg
1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg

Do you like lego? Would you like to play with it again? Then you need to Minecraft.

Minecraft is a game about squares.

In a world made of blocks, you (a rather blocky person yourself) must use your wits and common sense to build and carve a way to safety. This is a dangerous world, make no mistake – monsters appear from out of the dark, mountains themselves can roar at you, and an errant poke in the wrong direction could bury you alive under tons of soil.

But all is not lost. You’re a smart adventurer, after all. After tearing down some trees with your bare hands and building yourself a rudimentary shelter, you’ll begin to explore the mineral wealth of this new land – iron, coal, gold, and even stranger treasures await you deep in the cores of these mountains. The question is, can you work your way to the heart of the earth, plunder its riches, and return to tell the tale?

Developed by one-man creator Markus Persson (also known as Notch), Minecraft is a Java-based, sandbox-style adventure. It fits squarely among more difficult survival games such as Dwarf Fortress and NetHack, while keeping the simple charm of one’s younger building-block days. It is outwardly simple, internally complex, easy to play, and difficult to master. Perhaps best of all, despite being constructed of laughable square blocks, the game manages to deliver a wonderful atmosphere of fear, paranoia, determination, and reward all in one package.

Where do I play the game?
It's browser based, but there is an offline client you can download.

If you want to play survival, play using one of these links: Browser | Downloadable Client.

If you want to play creative, play using one of these links: Browser Singleplayer | Browser Multiplayer | CPColin's Client | WoM Client
Note: This game mode does not have most of the features that survival does. Notch has favored updating Survival instead. It doesn't have the cool lighting or half the blocks that survival does.

Is it free?
Yes and no. Right now Minecraft is in alpha, creative is free and survival is pay-only. It is highly recommended you buy it now, instead of when it goes into beta as the price will double. When you purchase the game, you get access to Survival and the ability to have a custom player skin.

Current Price:€9.95 | $14.30 | £8.00
Pre-Purchase Here

Videos:
Includes How-To and Beginner videos!

Useful Shit:

Programs & Utilities
Isometric Live Map Preview - Use this for your survival worlds.
NBT Forge - A map editor for Survival.
OMEN - A map editor for Creative
Isocraft - A great isometric image generator. Only works with creative maps.
Cartograph - Creates a map of your survival world. It's quite buggy right now but gets the job done.
INVEdit - You can use this to edit your inventory in survival.
NBTEdit - You can use this to change almost anything about your save. Spawn point, health, etc.
Skin Edit - A tool you can use to edit your player skin.

Textures
Don't like the default graphics? Here are some of the popular ones.
SMP's Texture Pack
Tahel's Texture Pack
Cheap Shot's Texture Pack
Brown & Bloom Texture Pack
Painterly Pack
Dokus' RPG Texture Pack
None of these interest you? Try browsing this list. Someone on the minecraft forums compiled every texture pack into one megathread.
Dírhael wrote: »
The rather excellent HD texture fix would be a valuable addition to the OP. Being able to play with larger textures, and still have animated water & fire is quite enjoyable.

Want to see what the look like? Cog made a handy picture guide!
Cognisseur wrote: »
Attention New Players!

In case you're interested in changing your Texture Pack, but don't know what to go with?

I loaded a few of the Texture Packs from the OP and took screenshots of the same location on Zetx's server (which hopefully demonstrates some texture variety) using each one. (Tahel's Pack link didn't load, and I didn't know what to do with Cheap Shot's .png file)

Default Texture Pack:
SqOYP.png

SMP's Texture Pack:
Gefc0.png

Brown & Bloom's Texture Pack:
BmFgx.png

Painterly Pack:
B6WHZ.png

All 4 Packs Side-by-Side Comparison:
P7ScY.png

Don't know how to install these? Read this.

Skins
[URL="url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=54216"]Java Skin Editor[/URL]
Skinning Tutorial, Supplementary Skin by VALVEjunkie
The Skin Index - Skin Listing

Links
The Official Minecraft Site - Play the game here.
The Dev Blog - Notch's dev blog., Posts a lot of updates and info here.
Notch's Twitter - Can be read on his blog as well.
The Official Minecraft Forums - Just don't fucking do it. The community is fucking retarded. Already.
Minecraft Wiki - The official wiki for the game.
SA Minecraft Wiki - Another wiki, this one run by Something Awful Goons. Lots of in jokes and not as comprehensive.
World of Minecraft - The WoM Custom Client lets you hack and play offline in Minecraft Classic.
The Skin Index - Skin Listing

STEAM GROUP
Clicky!
Ask in Steam chat to be added.
I [EIN] AM NOT INVOLVED WITH THE STEAM GROUP. PLEASE DON'T BE ALL UP IN MY INBOX WITH REQUESTS TO BE ADDED TO IT.

PUBLIC PA Servers

Diannaochong.dyndns.org
Updates and rules for this server can be found here.

SulSeeker.dyndns.org

For others ask in Steam Group chat

IF YOU HAVE A SERVER AND WANT IT TO BE ADDED TO THE LISTS, PM ME, I DONT GIVE A SHIT HOW MANY TIMES YOU POST IT.

I Just bought this game and I have no idea what shit is going on!
Don't worry, avid Minecraft fans FIGURED OUT A WAY TO PUT VIDEOS AND PICTURES ON THE INTERNET

HOLY SHIT

BASICS
GRASS
Grassguidesniper2.png

REDSTONE

Ein on

• Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ein's Build Server

This server is set aside for Penny Arcade use. Accordingly, the IP to the server is private, so we don't get people trolling the forums, finding an IP, and coming in just to grief or blow shit up. You can PM me to get it, or for a more timely response you can obtain it from the Steam group.

Right now, the old Col/Rap map doesn't work at all. Newly generated maps seem to be working fine for the moment, albeit a little laggier than before. I've tried importing things from the old maps into the new maps, and they suffer from the same crippling server lag once anyone gets within loading range of them.

Best I can figure right now is that this is attributable to Notch's 'lighting bug' that he's mentioned on Twitter, but I'm not sure. The weird thing is that only about half of the SMP servers seem to be affected. For example, SE++'s server kept going post-patch without too much trouble. Looking at the official SMP support forums, there's a couple topics mentioning problems, but it's clear that not every server is affected (i.e. ones without notable construction or buildings on such a large scale as we produce seem to be okay).

I would much rather not lose Columbia and Rapture just yet, mostly because Columbia was just a couple days away from being in a filmable state and it would have been amazing.

Those of you who have an interest in it, I'd appreciate it if you contacted Notch by whatever means you feel suits you (e-mail, twitter, whatever) and just bring his attention to this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD527FvFMlk

The only reason I'm asking that you guys do this is because, as I mentioned earlier, the problem isn't on every SMP server, just some, so I'm concerned that if we're not vocal now he won't fix whatever's causing these issues and we'll lose thousands of hours of community work.

The stuff in the spoiler below is the old server info.
    PUBLIC MIRROR SERVER IP:
    WORLDFAIR.DYNDNS.ORG

This is a server that is intended for visitors. It is a version of the main build server that is updated every 48 hours, or as I am able to do so. If you just want to explore our stuff, this is the place to do it.[/center]

CARTOGRAPHER RENDERS OF OUR MAP
    Updated overhead map as of Oct 8, 2010.

colrap_render_022.jpg

And a full size isometric render:

http://www.fusedcreations.com/adam/colrap_render_023.jpg

AVAILABLE USER COMMANDS:

/warp <destination>: This was implemented because there is a lot of stuff built all over the place, and the number one question people would always ask is "Where is _____?", usually followed by "I'm lost :(".
    The current destination options are: HOME, RAPTURE, COLUMBIA, DOME, EMBER, LAVALAND, DESERT, ARCTIC. The Dome is located within Rapture; first-time visitors are encouraged to use the Rapture point to enter via the lighthouse for the full effect.

/sethome: Similar to how warp functions, it allows you to set your own personal waypoint that you can reach by typing /home. You will land within 2-3 blocks of where you are when you set the point.

/kit: Simple item kits that will furnish you with a variety of things. Because I believe that you should have to work to acquire basic items, the only kit that is widely available right now is /kit tools, which will provide you with a shovel, mining pick, axe, and a stack of torches.

/playerlist: Allows you to see a list of all of the players who are currently online.

/compass: Shows you your current heading (as of when you typed the command).

/motd: Will simply repeat the Message of the Day in the chat log for you.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Q: How do I type?
    A: Push T to open the text input line.

Q: Where is it alright for me to mine/build?
    A: The default spawn, and location of /warp home, is FREEBUILD ISLAND. Hopefully you can infer from the name that it is totally fine to put what you want there, as long as you don't interfere with or destroy someone else's construction. To the EAST of that, at /warp ember, is EMBER, our MINING SITE. Dig away here, so that we preserve the beauty of our other locations! Do not build in the area above Rapture and not in the valley below Columbia. This is so that Rapture remains mostly unobstructed for awesome views, and so that keeps it's iconic fields below.

Q: How far out can I go?
    A: Look at the map above. Around it, we've placed a border that is nothing but a sheer drop straight down onto bedrock. You will know when you see it - it's pretty much a straight drop down about 60 blocks on most parts of the map, has bedrock at the bottom, and is a sheer line carved through the terrain all the way up. DO NOT CROSS THIS LINE. If you do, you cause the server to start generating more random terrain, which lags us and increases filesizes, both of which are bad things. Warnings or bans will be distributed to those who are found crossing/building across the line.

Q: Can I add to Columbia / Rapture?
    A: Definitely! See below for general style guides as to how we build our stuff, so yours is cohesive. Also, try to be sensible about where you start building - we usually have areas set aside for new expansion, particularly on Columbia. Alternatively, there is a jobs board in both Rapture and Columbia where people who are working on things can put posts up for help or assistance in whatever they are constructing.

Q: Why are some people's names colored?
    A: This has to do with their user rank. Red is Administrator; Blue is Moderator. Mods are able to help you with any problem you might be having!

Q: Who are the current mods?
    A: d4gjerick, tinywindturbines, cilantr0, mouserecoil, sinter, rockfish, xzar89, deshadowc, rodgerick, alethiometer

Q: Can I have <item>?
    A: In general, my policy is not to spawn items that are readily available. Rapture and Columbia are being built entirely by hand, and I don't want to ruin how special that is. I will make exceptions for certain things - for example, I have no problem spawning lava or water sources for people, because they tend to be incorporated into awesome visual things. However, if you just want a stack of glass for that neat thing you're building in Rapture... get a shovel, and start hauling some sand.

Q: It lags really badly every now and then!
    A: That's not a question. But, I have a backup script running taking images of the server's state every 30 minutes. When it does that, it tends to lag. This takes about 1 minute. After that, everything resumes as normal! Trust me, you'll be glad we have them if we ever need them.

Q: What do I do if I really want to set fire to things, or flood things?
    A: Go to another server! I have full logs now, and I can backtrack to see who is starting fires all willy-nilly. I also have no compunction about banning people who grief.

SO WHY ARE YOU GUYS SO AWESOME?
    I would strongly recommend viewing these at 720p on youtube, so they look less awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNxcxnKYPOc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDjDV_Q_RI4
    That's why!

A HELPFUL GUIDE TO LIFE IN COLUMBIA:

Columbia is our flying steampunk victorian city! It is based on the game Bioshock: Infinite BIOSHOCK INFINITE, which is not out yet. However, the trailers for the game have impressed us, and given us a great sense for what might be fun to build in a flying city.

/Warp columbia will take you to the zeppelin flying overhead, from which you can make a rapid descent into the receiving pool.

Columbia is a city built upon a series of connected, independently flying platforms. On the underside of most platforms you will find turbines, suspended in rings by fenceposts. From the underneath and sides you will usually find balloons being used to help 'support' the 'weight'.
    mc_col011.jpg
    mc_col012.jpg

The visual style for a lot of the buildings we've picked out is basic cobblestone with half-steps being used as trim:
    mc_col014.jpg

We use greenery around the trims to simulate ivy and generally look nice. You can do this by growing a tree in the spot you want the stuff to be in, and chopping the trunk down from underneath until you have a floating log and leaves. Then add the half-blocks, etc. in a frame around it. Leaves have to be proximate to a log in order to prevent them from despawning! Alternatively, a moderator should be able to help you set this up. Cilantr0 has been decorating most of our buildings in the american flag motif, which is appropriate for the city, so I'd say let him continue to do that. :)

Helpful reference material for those building Columbia:
    col_ref001.jpg

col_ref002.jpg

col_ref003.jpg

col_ref004.jpg

col_ref005.jpg

Columbia-Image-1.jpg

Columbia-Image-2.jpg

Roses-1.jpg

bioshock-infinite-sky-line.jpg

Ultimately, we don't want to limit your creativity. The problem we ran into with Rapture, though, is that by allowing everyone to build whatever they want, wherever they want, the place rapidly turns into a maze. To that end, we're collectively trying to approach Columbia in a bit more of an orderly fashion. Try and build buildings with a purpose - i.e., restaurants, bars, residences, etc.

A HELPFUL GUIDE TO LIFE IN RAPTURE:

Rapture is our kickass underwater city, based on Bioshock 1 and 2 BIOSHOCK 1 and 2. We're not trying to duplicate the city from the game - we're putting our own spin on things as we go. You can reach it with /warp rapture, which will take you to the Lighthouse, our surface entrance to the city.

Rapture's very much an organic process. We just started building, and it sort've grew and grew and suddenly turned into quite a little maze. We briefly drained it and reorganized our structures shortly after into what you see now. What you need to know is that The Dome is near the heart of things, and you can reach it with /warp dome. First-time visitors are not recommended to use this - come in through the lighthouse.

On the floor of the dome, you'll find compass directions inset with obsidian. These are how we usually navigate - so when someone says "North of the Dome", you'll know what the hell they're talking about.

Key to our reorganization in the city is the Rapture Metro. We did away with a lot of the walkways that cluttered up the superstructure of rapture, and traded it in for... well, more walkways, really. To be totally accurate, what we've done is we've set up huge transit systems that don't work yet. They're designed for when minecart systems DO work in future, so that we can have a sort of 'train' system between major areas. There's 4 tracks, designated A through D, that each touch pretty much every building in Rapture. For now, they're also doubling as footpaths until we have working minecarts.

As a general building style guide, we use a lot of glass and cobblestone down in Rapture. We try to put cobblestone in the corners and frames of things that we're building, so that glass structures look like they have some sort of support. Spend a minute walking around down there and you'll very quickly catch on to the style!

The rules for effective building in Rapture are simple:
    • Tie your building into the metro. This doesn't mean that every broom closet, etc. needs to be attached directly to the metro line, because then the metro will take forever to get from A to B. The way we're trying to set it up now is that the metro 'stops' are large buildings (typically seascrapers) from which other smaller buildings are accessible via walkway.
    • Don't build shit all out of glass. We're at the bottom of the ocean, and we've been adding cobblestone 'reinforcements' to the glass to play along with that. Plus, most structures look like hell if you make them primarily out of glass. It should be a detail, not the body of things.
    • Don't build too close to the Lighthouse or Bathysphere ride. It detracts from Rapture's entrance.

Underwater building's a little tedious, but also way easier than most people make it out to be. The basic method is simply to build the framework of the building underwater, then wall it up - ceiling, walls, floors. Then you have to fill the interior and dig it back out again to displace water. The easiest materials to do this with are typically sand or gravel, since they 'fall' due to gravity and can quickly fill a space. You can also do the torch trick (where you knock out the bottom block of a column of sand or gravel, and then very quickly deploy a torch in the space where it was) to make all of the above blocks fall on the torch and deconstruct themselves.
    WHAT ELSE IS THERE?

The map is littered with cool shit (and the occasional superdong) people just up and built out in the middle of nowhere. Like, I can't even tell you, so a handful of pictures are in order.
    CK7.jpg
    Screen01.JPG
    Screen05.JPG
    Screen09.JPG
    Screen14.JPG
    Screen15.JPG

Ein on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Poor Ein's server. I hope when Notch fixes things it retroactively fixes that server.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the new thread Ein

You da man 8-)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know, the transition from my starting area to the new biomes is rather startling sometimes. Lots of sheer cliffs.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    You know, the transition from my starting area to the new biomes is rather startling sometimes. Lots of sheer cliffs.

Yeah, Biomes certainly need more work. They need to be much, much bigger for one.

But at least they are semi-workable. I'd much rather Notch work on fixing the SMP instability so Ein and other server owners can get their servers up and running reliably again.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really like the variety. Plus, a lot of my mountains are now snow-peaked. =)

Xaviar on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't wait for different tree types. I love those screenshots of that evergreen tree mod.

Though I'd love it if the "tree leaves not fading away when tree is cut down" bug gets fixed.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, portals don't work in multiplayer yet, even though you can create them. Anybody know if Ghasts still have a chance of spawning around the portal, or if it's broke for them too? :D

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dudes I just found the largest underground cave, about 5 blocks up from bedrock.

It has EVERYTHING. All my diamond and obsidian needs are totally covered.

noobert on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Send help. My castle in under seige. Need reinforcements right away.

java2010-11-0314-15-30-95.jpg?t=1288766090

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Someone send a flag and condolence letter to Renegade Wolf's widow.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Xaviar wrote: »
    I really like the variety. Plus, a lot of my mountains are now snow-peaked. =)

Oh I do too. Today I did some exploring, looking for possible castle/home locations. Found a lot of neat places, plus some cactus, reeds, and a ton of clay. Several heavily forested areas as well.

*oh, and some pumpkins!*

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh god. They're using the bodies as a staircase.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Was gonna do a "Haiugais I can't get on the server" post but I see the reason now.

Uh... where're we hanging out until then?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Were I you, I'd venture into the Nether and harvest some gunpowder. Take the hit to your wall and TNT the fuck out of that horde.

edit:

or better yet, nuke from orbit. it's the only way to be sure.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Were I you, I'd venture into the Nether and harvest some gunpowder. Take the hit to your wall and TNT the fuck out of that horde.

edit:

or better yet, nuke from orbit. it's the only way to be sure.
    Next update: Notch adds space. Epic Space Station builds commence.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have alot of tnt all ready. I was about to go get some when I decided I should wait for the sun to come up and then get a picture of the zombies all burning.
    But I may have fallen off the wall while taking it.
    java2010-11-0314-16-16-22.jpg?t=1288767321

At least it resulted in all the monsters being killed.
    java2010-11-0314-17-40-33.jpg?t=1288767367

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    JerickJerick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    While the multiplayer is all but unplayable I've been sinking some time into single player. I have forgotten about the horrors that are creepers. I've had like 4 to 5 of them hopping outside my front door for the last two nights. :O

Jerick on
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Minecraft now crashes for me when i try and maximize it...

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm actually playing a new game on something other than peaceful for a change. First thing I need to do is chop down all trees everywhere so I don't get surprise sexed by skeletons again.

Falx on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Heroth wrote: »

I keep having trouble with that too. It'll work most of the time, but sometimes it'll just shut the game down.

Alt-tabbing is not this game's friend.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    NicoPinataNicoPinata Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Falx wrote: »
    I'm actually playing a new game on something other than peaceful for a change. First thing I need to do is chop down all trees everywhere so I don't get surprise sexed by skeletons again.

Why chop, when one can burn? :winky:

I turned on peaceful a week a ago to make a perimiter wall around my village. Wall has been finished, so has the lighthouse and 3 watch towers.... Have to stop inventing reasons to turn peaceful off.

but what if a creeper blows up my precious constructions?

NicoPinata on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    New thread! Yay! I had to take a break after I build a fort and log off at night and when I log in, my fort was gone and monsters were everywhere going "O HI!"...

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was wondering, does snow fall anymore since the update? I keep finding winter biomes, but it never snows.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    Lawful EvilLawful Evil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blue Dot.

So far, I still have not tried to venture into hell (or whatever its called). I can't seem to bump into diamond to mine obsidian with since I started with a new world. I just might try the gate-casting method.

Lawful Evil on
    Do not believe that the impossible exists. That is why you fail.
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like the update so far but holy crap has Notch broken a lot of things in the process.

theSquid on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blue Dot.

So far, I still have not tried to venture into hell (or whatever its called). I can't seem to bump into diamond to mine obsidian with since I started with a new world. I just might try the gate-casting method.

Odd... I now have an excess of diamond. Well, I can never have enough, but still, I find it eeeeverywhere.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blue Dot.

What's your mining technique?

Are you branch mining?

theSquid on
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Heroth wrote: »

I keep having trouble with that too. It'll work most of the time, but sometimes it'll just shut the game down.

Alt-tabbing is not this game's friend.

Yeah, for me this is any time at all... log in screen and try to fullscreen it? crash. in-game? crash. menu screen? crash.

Its kind of really a annoying...:?

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fences need to be less fucking annoying, either make it so we can jump on top/over or don't, don't make them an ordeal.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You can't jump on fences if you start at their ground level ... that's the point. It stops mobs jumping over them.

Unless i'm missing something.

Lly on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you land on top of a fence while online your guy has an epileptic fit while the game tries to figure out how the impossible happened.

Falx on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fences need to be less fucking annoying, either make it so we can jump on top/over or don't, don't make them an ordeal.

Fences are meant to be an aesthetic barrier to creeps jumping into your areas.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Falx wrote: »
    If you land on top of a fence while online your guy has an epileptic fit while the game tries to figure out how the impossible happened.

Ah right, it's an online bug. Don't play online so yeah i can see how that would be annoying!

Lly on
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i have yet to find any pumpkin's on my new world :(

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So it seems that you need to be move a sufficiently vast distance away from your original portal to not have them link up funny. For instance I went probably about 500 yards and the portal links to the other portal when leaving instead of it's original portal.

It also seems as if you should enter and leave the portals before building a new one. It's just really buggy I think. Probably because mainly instead of being a reasonably facsimile of the outside world it's a giant cave. I always love putting a nethergate down and going through and entering a small 8x8 room underwater, that was fantastic.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    More like funtastic !

Fences are fine, they just need to make a gate for them so I don't have an ugly door in my fence.

Edit: and fix the animation bug for multiplayer types.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish the Nether was alot simpler. I just want to put down a portal in one area, and put another down elsewhere, and both of them would simply bring you to the Nether. Instead he made some more-complicated-than-it-should-have-been system. And no randomly spawning gates.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am having fun with the portals.

I have made a series of bridges and fortresses in the Nether that I make gates in and use to explore the overworld. It's nice to have a portal appear underground in a vast cave system that doesn't have a ground exit, resources and exploration of areas I likely wouldnt find otherwise.

The thing about the first portal you make not getting a link back turned out benefitial for me to, it appeared a little outside my base across a lake, I then started building over there and moved the new portal a bit so it would fit construction (you can do that btw, move those exit portals it creates, as long as you dont move them too far, I moved mine around 6 blocks from its spawn position in 2 directions).

Now I use the original bases portal and the new bases portal as quick travel from base 1 to base 2, since they are both linked to the same portal. To return from base 2 to base 1 I got a minecart/highway system.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not sure why he just didn't assign gates IDs and link them all together like that. That way gate1 would link with the nether gate1. Then it wouldn't need to make a new gate when you leave it just needs to look up where the other ID is. Sometimes I wonder why he does things the way he does.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.