As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ocarina of Time 3DS], is it really worth the hype as its made out to be?

Victory63Victory63 Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
So whenever there's a discussion about the 3DS I hear, the first thing mentioned is how good the remake of Ocarina of Time will be. I mean from what I've seen, will it really be as big as it's claimed to be?

I mean for all I know all I'll be playing is a re-release with just updated, smoother graphics and a few tweaks plus with added 3D. I mean I know its Ocarina of Time, one of THE best video games of all time but will I be just eating the same bowl of s*** like many already do with the Madden series, just with an new added flavor and adjustments to the nutrition value?

I know the fact that the Water Temple has been made a tad less confusing which I guess is an improvement but then again the original still sold well even with the problem.
Will it have any of the planned and cancelled content added such as the supposed Light Temple?
Will some of the side quests be any further developed so they'll be as good as in Majora's Mask with their side quests?
Will the so called controversial symbols and quotes to Islam and the Qur'an be kept dispite the backlash from crazy people who see the Muslim religion as evil even though they have no idea about their teachings and just think it's all devil worship and terrorism?

I have yet to see what makes this game so great for me to really consider purchasing it, but seeing as I'm a Nintendo and Zelda fanboy I'll most likely grab a copy as soon as possible like many will be making my argument kind of redundant.

Thoughts?

Victory63 on

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I loved OOT, but frankly I've played it through three times and have no desire to go for a fourth, even if it is in 3D.

Unless there's a whole heap of extras, in which case naturally I will fold like a cheap suit and give nintendo all my money.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ocarina of Time is FAR from my favourite Zelda game. I like it, but I feel like it doesn't deserve the praise that it gets. However I think my problem is that I can't get past some of the N64 limitations that hold the game back. For example, I always felt that OoT was too dark (literally dark, not dark=mature) and I had to fight with the camera too often. If the 3DS fixes those things and makes the game a smooth game to play, I could really enjoy it.

I hope they change the vast, empty, nothingness that is Hyrule field. Give us trees or SOMETHING!

Anyway, if you haven't played OoT to death already it's probably worth a purchase.

Taya on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Will I buy it? Yes, yes I believe I will.

And I will enjoy it for all the same reasons I did when it first came out.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm one of the four people who hasn't played Ocarina of Time, so to me, yes, it's worth it.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I haven't played the game in about 5 years, so I'd be interested in a proper remake with revamped visuals - if only to actually see what the classics look like in 3D. Remains to be seen how much they're actually adding, though. I seem to recall Miyamoto saying he wanted to change the overworld somewhat.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Super Mario 64 may have been bested by Super Mario Galaxy in all-time favorite lists, but Ocarina of Time by many still hasn't found a game it can call its equal. Other games have deviated from the formula, for better or worse depending on who you ask, but Ocarina of Time is classic Zelda in three dimensions. Ordinary, but familiar. It is essentially the 3D version of A Link To The Past.

Twilight Princess did not change that opinion for the most part. There were various issues that plagued it, as well as improvements to old mechanics, but the underlying reason is it did not meet people's high expectations. Personally, I found it to be a poor imitation that ironically tried to copy Okami to distance itself from Ocarina of Time, but ultimately failed to give it its own identity.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They should remake Wind Waker instead.

reVerse on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I only played it once: In the Wind Waker bundle. LoZ dungeons are so brutal I don't see myself playing it again, but if it's more polished, the pace should at least feel faster, and I wouldn't mind playing it again.

I'm playing Spirit Tracks, and the tower dungeon sequences are an absolute nightmare. I Youtube'd the last part because I just couldn't take anymore.

I must have beaten Wind Waker three times though. They should redo that with the dungeons that were cut.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Chen wrote: »
    Super Mario 64 may have been bested by Super Mario Galaxy in all-time favorite lists, but Ocarina of Time by many still hasn't found a game it can call its equal. Other games have deviated from the formula, for better or worse depending on who you ask, but Ocarina of Time is classic Zelda in three dimensions. Ordinary, but familiar. It is essentially the 3D version of A Link To The Past.

I disagree. 3D Zelda has never been able to capture the feeling of a truly huge and varied open world to explore like the 2D games do. For example, the amount of unique and interesting content in OoT's Hyrule Field would probably constitute about 6 to 8 screens in a 2D Zelda. That's nothing. Or compare the non-dungeon parts of OoT's Death Mountain to the 2D games' Death Mountains - there's no comparison, with the variety of monsters, items, things to do and see.

Wind Waker wasn't too bad, the grid of islands could be seen as a decently large grid of screens, each with something interesting about it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wind Waker wasn't too bad, the grid of islands could be seen as a decently large grid of screens, each with something interesting about it.

Ugh, the sailing.

Loved discovering the islands and their treasures in Wind Waker, but damnit they could've done with a better system of getting around other than "Stop. Play with the Wind Waker. Change wind direction. Off you go." I mean the mini-tornados for warping were a good start but not good enough!

If only someone had invented a motor for that boat. :(

Dunxco on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ocarina of Time is a decent game but it felt like a step back from Link to the Past.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't understand why people claim OoT is like LtTP in 3D. They have a few thematic similarities, but the gameplay is completely different.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think, overall, I prefer the 2D Zelda games to the 3D ones. In a 2D Zelda every "screen" is different and has its own secrets. I love how you start with a blank map and it fills up as you explore. I agree that Wind Waker is the only game that has a similar system, but since most of the world is water, it's still not the same.

OoT's overworld is like a big bowl. There's the ranch in the middle, and a bunch of places on the edges. Everything else is just grass with an enemy or a secret every now and then. Very boring. I really hope they beef up the overworld in the remake.

I also think Twilight Princess is a better game than Ocarina of Time, although not terribly unique. It basically did everything that OoT did, only better. But that's my opinion of course.

Taya on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dunxco wrote: »

Ugh, the sailing.

Loved discovering the islands and their treasures in Wind Waker, but damnit they could've done with a better system of getting around other than "Stop. Play with the Wind Waker. Change wind direction. Off you go." I mean the mini-tornados for warping were a good start but not good enough!

If only someone had invented a motor for that boat. :(

That game would have been twice as good if there had been a silver and gold upgrade for the conductor's baton. The silver upgrade causes the wind to automatically blow from behind your ship without needing to play a damn song every time you want to move, and the second upgrade does the same thing at two times the speed. Both of them would be unlockable via a 'no items required' miniature savage labyrinth, immediately after you get the Wind Waker.

If that were the case, I would have played the hell out of the game.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm also one of the few people who have never played it, and this seems like the port to get. Playstation/64-era 3D has always been a bit of a turn-off for me.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's one of the best games of all time with better graphics, better controls, 3D and in portable form, that's enough for me.

I don't think they'll add a lot of new content for a simple reason: it can throw the game off. It would be very easy to include things that would be inconsistent with the rest of the game, mess with the story, pacing, stick out like a sore thumb and so on.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I disagree. 3D Zelda has never been able to capture the feeling of a truly huge and varied open world to explore like the 2D games do. For example, the amount of unique and interesting content in OoT's Hyrule Field would probably constitute about 6 to 8 screens in a 2D Zelda. That's nothing. Or compare the non-dungeon parts of OoT's Death Mountain to the 2D games' Death Mountains - there's no comparison, with the variety of monsters, items, things to do and see.
    The 3D games were actually populated by people though, which allowed for more interaction. Clock Town for instance was a bustling city with all sorts of things to do thanks to the day/night system and the existence of masks. Hyrule Town wasn't as big and elaborate, but all of it was still present in some form.

Zelda and Ganondorf also played big parts throughout the game, which made the adventure wholly absorbing. Other notable characters include girl next door Saria and ranch girl Malon, whose freedom was taken away by someone who looks suspiciously like Luigi...

In A Link to the Past, all Zelda ever did was sit in a church. Your uncle showed up in the first ten minutes, then vanished. Let's not talk about the crazy old man in the original LoZ. One of the reasons I like Link's Awakening is because there were people around who reminded you that you weren't alone in the world.

I suspect part of the excitement surrounding A Link to the Past was beating Agahnim for the first time, thinking it was over, then realizing that there were twice as many dungeons for you to beat with twice the difficulty. Unfortunately, the magic was lost to me since a friend spoiled it for me back then.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The two Oracle games and Minish cap were populated by people. They are really underrated games.

I love Clock Town. I'd like to see a Zelda game with several lively towns like this.

Taya on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is a question I've been wondering about too actually. Having never played the game on the N64 I don't have the rose colored nostalgia glasses some do and when I did try playing it on the Gamecube I really couldn't get into it. Old 3D graphics just don't age well and I just much prefer the colorful, lighthearted world of Wind Waker. I've played the DS games and Twilight Princess since then - but haven't finished any of them.

If they make it look nice, move smooth and play well I'll probably end up trying it - but for me the series peaked at Wind Waker and hasn't given me a solid reason to come back since.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love Ocarina, but after seeing it at Nintendo World, I'm no longer hyped.

The graphics remain the same, and when compared to the other offerings, I'm not sure it's worth my time.

The impressions at Andriasang were about the same:
    The 3DS version of Ocarina of Time also adds 3D output to the game, of course. To be honest, nothing really stood out about the 3D in my play session. It just looked like Ocarina of Time, with some depth added to the visuals. I did like how solid the 3D effect made Link look, though, especially when climbing the vines in the Deku Tree dungeon stage. He looked like a little 3D figure running around in the screen. However, the visuals on the whole look dated compared to some of the other 3DS titles (especially Resident Evil, which I'd just played) so that may be taking a bit away from the 3D effect.
    Ultimately, their verdict is 'wait and see'.

But I don't begrudge the excitement of others. I've repurchased many a title on different systems with small improvements (even no improvements - Symphony of the Night sticks out in my mind).

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think most of the credit TLOZ: OOT gets is due to nostalgia.

Quite honestly Wind Waker had better everything, and Twilight Princess had better everything. Mainly because of the years of advancements in UI design, Game Design, and Level Design.

That doesnt mean OOT isnt good. But i think a lot of why people give it such high praise is cause it was something in their youth.

I didnt play it until the Wind Waker Preorder disc. And even then i would still put LttP and Wind Waker and maybe even Twilight Princess ahead of OOT and Majoras Mask.

Mainly my personal opinion. I would much rather have seen Wind Waker or something with more impressive graphics on the 3ds.

Talkc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sometimes better everything is not fun everything. I didn't mind the triforce fetching as strongly as others did, but it wasn't exactly a walk in the park. Same with the bug hunting in Twilight Princess. Both games also had opening dungeons that were a trudge to get through, but I know from previous Zelda threads that not everyone feels the same way.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sometimes better everything is not fun everything. I didn't mind the triforce fetching as strongly as others did, but it wasn't exactly a walk in the park. Same with the bug hunting in Twilight Princess. Both games also had opening dungeons that were a trudge to get through, but I know from previous Zelda threads that not everyone feels the same way.

Which is funny cause i found the opening dungeon in OOT to be disasterously trudging. I guess it depends on the immersion. I didnt feel immersed in OOT the way i did in Wind Waker.

Talkc on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In my eyes, Ocarina of Time is still the greatest game ever made, relative to its time. It deserves all the hype it receives.

I am going to buy the 3DS as soon as the remake comes out. If that's launch, I'll get it then. If it's a few weeks/months later, I'll wait. I can't wait to play an improved version of the game.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think part of my preference of Wind Waker is caused by my weakness as a gamer. I get lost really, really quickly in a lot of 3d adventure or even fps games. I get turned around and don't remember which way I came from or which way to go next and get frustrated. Wind Waker, having that grid map of islands I had an easier time with - I could recognize areas because they were generally not just sprawling lands of trees and forests.

The 2D Zeldas were much easier for me as well - the maps made sense and I rarely couldn't figure out where to go next.

I guess I also really prefer the games where the focus is "play as link the generic hero" rather than "explore the elvish world and talk about links feelings of other elves".

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think I guess I also really prefer the games where the focus is "play as link the generic hero" rather than "explore the elvish world and talk about links feelings of other elves".

I honestly have no idea what this means but it defintiely doesn't describe any zelda game I've ever played

Tingle games maybe

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    well I'd much rather have a brand new Zelda game

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Talkc wrote: »

Which is funny cause i found the opening dungeon in OOT to be disasterously trudging. I guess it depends on the immersion. I didnt feel immersed in OOT the way i did in Wind Waker.
    I don't mean to shit on your opinion, because opinions, but man, I will never understand this.

Spoilering it since people haven't played it yet.
    OoT goes get sword -> buy shield -> enter dungeon -> hit switches -> push blocks -> torch webs -> boss
    WW goes get sword -> go up mountain -> get on ship -> shoot out of barrel -> lose sword -> fucking stealth -> get sword back -> no boss
    TP goes goat herding -> fling bird at bees -> fish with rod -> get sword -> get lantern -> goat herding again -> transform into wolf -> meet Midna -> hunt insects -> finally dungeon -> rescue monkeys -> miniboss -> boss
    How can OoT be the most plodding out of the three?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like OOT the most in terms of story, items and dungeons. Its kinda neat they are re-releasing it to coincide with a new platform. My main gripe is that its not a full on remake.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    to be fair TTP had a great opening dungeon, actually maybe even the best dungeons in the series

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    to be fair TTP had a great opening dungeon, actually maybe even the best dungeons in the series

That was one of the dungeons I actually really didn't like at all in that game :P Some of the other dungeons in TP were pretty great though.

Forest Temple in OoT will always be my favorite Zelda dungeon though :)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Twilight Princess had excellent dungeons. I loved the ice mansion and the sky tower. Even the water dungeon was relatively painless for a water dungeon.

Taya on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Talkc wrote: »

I don't mean to shit on your opinion, because opinions, but man, I will never understand this.

Spoilering it since people haven't played it yet.
    OoT goes get sword -> buy shield -> enter dungeon -> hit switches -> push blocks -> torch webs -> boss
    WW goes get sword -> go up mountain -> get on ship -> shoot out of barrel -> lose sword -> fucking stealth -> get sword back -> no boss
    TP goes goat herding -> fling bird at bees -> fish with rod -> get sword -> get lantern -> goat herding again -> transform into wolf -> meet Midna -> hunt insects -> finally dungeon -> rescue monkeys -> miniboss -> boss
    How can OoT be the most plodding out of the three?

I never really got the "slow start" or trudging or whatever you call it arguments used to often on the Internet about Zelda games. No offense, but it seems to me kind of like some form of ADD where you NEED to go to a dungeon and boss asap, everything in between shouldn't be there!

I dunno, to me every part of a game, as long as its well done, deserves full attention and is worth playing. I like the build-ups, the contextualizing, the exploring, etc etc. And of course we see people complaining that Zelda focuses too much on dungeons and at the same time complaining about things like the tears of light sections which are pretty much making the gameplay outside dungeons more relevant.

This applies to things like the Triforce Hunt and key searching in the Prime games and whatnot, I never had a problem with these parts because the way I play these games focuses a lot on exploring, I'm not in a rush to get to the next point to end the game, I'm always going around the world seeing what I can do with my new items/skills while lots of people seem to be in a hurry to go from A to B, so it becomes a painful experience to them, while I already have most of the things I need to collect. Of course that a game needs to accommodate for different play styles so I'm not saying the Triforce hunt wasn't a problem, but hey, my two cents.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oot came out a long time ago. I never had a n64 so I never played it. Gonna get to play it for the first time in 3D what's up noooowwwww

Jars on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I suspect part of the excitement surrounding A Link to the Past was beating Agahnim for the first time, thinking it was over, then realizing that there were twice as many dungeons for you to beat with twice the difficulty. Unfortunately, the magic was lost to me since a friend spoiled it for me back then.

Whoa, did people really think that?

It would have been an awfully short game if that were the case. The shortest Zelda ever.

I actually kinda would've preferred it though. :? I never finished Link to the Past and never really cared to keep going through all seven of those dungeons.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Link to the Past isn't a terribly long game even with the shadow world dungeons

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Victory63Victory63 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Taya wrote: »
    The two Oracle games and Minish cap were populated by people. They are really underrated games.

I love Clock Town. I'd like to see a Zelda game with several lively towns like this.

I hope eventually they do make a Majora's Mask 3D, since its one of the best Zelda games in my opinion. Although only having 4 dungeons, this is made up for the side quests and challenges. Plus it remains to be the hardest game in the series. Not to mention the 3rd boss in the Ocean Temple has to be the hardest boss I've faced in the entire series.

The story as well kept me more interested. It was just so well developed and the game to me is the most darkest in the series. I mean it has more deaths by NPC characters rather than enemies however none of them as daunting as when you encounter the soldier in the back alley of Hyrule Castle Town in Ocarina of Time.

Victory63 on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Link to the Past isn't a terribly long game even with the shadow world dungeons

To this day I know the game well enough I can finish it in about 8-10 hours taking my time. I've done it in a day several times.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I used to despise TP because I played it on the Wii but I recently picked up the gamecube version and I'm liking it a lot.

I think people forget that next to Super Mario 64, OoT bought an iconic character to life in 3d for the first time. It's a solid adventure game and even though it's a bit dated I don't think it suffers from goldeneye syndrome where nostalgia overshadows the quality of the game. I don't see a problem with the graphics, it's not the best looking 3DS game but it looks a lot better than the 64 version and if you are playing a Nintendo game for the graphics I think you are doing it wrong.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have kind of a mixed opinion on OoT. I really don't see it as "the best Zelda" or "the best game ever" or whatever, but it certainly wasn't a bad game and it was one of the "better" Zelda games for sure. There are a few things about it that I still think aren't super great (i.e. Jabu Jabu dungeon sucked) but overall it was pretty solid the whole way through.

Biggest problem I think it has these days are dated graphics though. The game really does look pretty terrible (as do most N64 games), and it's only further exacerbated on the newer versions (i.e. GameCube ports, VC) with the pre-rendered backgrounds for some scenes that don't up-res beyond 320x240. So that's one of the reasons I'm really excited about this version.

It should also be interesting to see what content they add, though to be fair, usually when they re-release a Zelda game with a "new dungeon" or whatever, the new stuff tends to be somewhat lame (i.e. Link's Awakening DX color dungeon, that extra 4 Swords dungeon in ALTTP GBA, pretty much all of Master Quest :P)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282