As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Designer? I ardly knew er! (nsf56k)

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've been writing a sci-fi story recently and it's been so much fun because unlike when I write a historical drama or a war drama I don't have to research anything. I can just make up and design whatever I want. Putzing around on a graphic design forum is as useful as finding out why General Roberts won his VC. It's great. It's liberating because nothing is written for the future and with this story it's a matter of reconciling things that should be with things that already are. Plus, no one will ever have to draw horses for me.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also, isn't architecture that doesn't work just bad architecture?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, isn't architecture that doesn't work just bad architecture?

But his vision PI

and how important he is

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rRgfBLdai4

This isn't quite design, it's just fucking cool.

The camcorder is also pretty sweet -

Phantom-Flex-video-camera.jpg

Phantom Flex

Shoots 1080p footage at 2800 FPS

and a few more videos shot with it because why the hell not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VISlX8-EVkk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEuOTUyEDXs

Brolo on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That was pretty cool Rolo.

Blake T on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    how fucking much is a camera that does that

I need one of those immediately

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oh my fucking god those Phantom ones start at fifty grand

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    yeah they're hella pricey

also you need thousands of dollars worth of lighting

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Myself and a girl I used to play in a band with have started pimping ourselves out as session musicians. She on saxophone and me on trumpet.

She runs a music management company and has tons of hookups so I don't know we might get some decent work out of it!

Anyway I made this today for us

brassknuckleso.jpg

#pipe on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    Myself and a girl I used to play in a band with have started pimping ourselves out as session musicians. She on saxophone and me on trumpet.

She runs a music management company and has tons of hookups so I don't know we might get some decent work out of it!

Anyway I made this today for us

brassknuckleso.jpg

This is pretty slick, pipe. I like it.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Is there anything to be said for making the apex of the knuckles look a bit like the keys on a trumpet? Or the negative space where the fingers go like the valve covers on a saxophone?

I don't know...maybe that's too literal of a representation then.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I thought the same thing dude but I couldn't think of how to make it work without making it look kinda tacky.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yea, exactly.

Of course, I'm not the designer that pipe is so many he can pull it off. It's just that from a branding standpoint I'm not sure the visual of the brass knuckles really sells what they are. We here all know that it is a trumpet and saxophone for hire but if I were to look at that logo, the "musical mercenaries" really loses out in the weight department against the knuckles and the name.

Hmmm.....

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    My degree is in Industrial Design. I was so happy when I finally took an ID class in university. I started out in Fine Arts but it never really clicked with me. I like drawing/painting/sculpting/printmaking, but I realized pretty quickly that the odds of making a living as a fine artist and not as a teacher/waiter/grocery bag boy after graduating with a Fine Arts degree were pretty slim.

ID was the right blend of art/engineering/business for me. There wasn't a ton of "instruction" involved in the program, most of the learning came from getting an assignment and everyone going crazy trying to come up with a solution and then coming together for the critique where you got to see what 20-some other people had gone through to solve the same problem.

Since graduating, my job has been designing signs/3-D props for amusement parks, mini-golf courses, etc. I do miss furniture and product design but this suits my short attention span pretty well. I couldn't just design office furniture or kitchen products for very long before I got bored with it. I get to build pirate ships for waterparks, giant dinosaurs for theaters, and other weird stuff which is pretty cool.

I do some graphic design/logo work in my free time but I don't really consider myself a graphic designer. (I don't really consider myself an illustrator either but I keep getting illustration work so...) I should see if I can find some of my old ID work.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Yea, exactly.

Of course, I'm not the designer that pipe is so many he can pull it off. It's just that from a branding standpoint I'm not sure the visual of the brass knuckles really sells what they are. We here all know that it is a trumpet and saxophone for hire but if I were to look at that logo, the "musical mercenaries" really loses out in the weight department against the knuckles and the name.

Hmmm.....

It was half an hour's work and I'm really not bothering spending any more time on it.

Nobody really needs to see it apart from knowing that it's there if that makes any difference. This is merely to give a little professional air to what's basically gonna be a facebook page my partner pimps out to bands she knows who are recording.

Maybe I'll get some business card made up

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pipe, I'm definitely not critiquing in a negative way. I really do dig the logo. Knowing now how you're planning on using it, I think it makes a lot more sense too.

And yea, that would look rather boss on a business card.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh no no I'm not taking any offence dude I thrive on feedback like that

I just can't be bothered fretting over this logo ha ha

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ah, good. It's often tough to tell how designers (and admittedly we copy folk) will take feedback.

Hopefully it'll generate some fun little side gigs for you two.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    EricsErics Charming to the last Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hello Designer thread! I didn't know you existed!

I haven't done anything too neat lately so I don't have much to post. But I did do some design work for a forum (logos, forum skin, currently working on front page), so I guess I can post that?

badpostslo.pngbadpostslo.jpg

badposcec.png

Oh, I totally forgot. I did this for a design contest for the music artist Solatrus:

ericpodlin.png

Erics on
    fabulousFantastic.png
    Twitter | Steam | Twitch.tv ~♪
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    sheeeeeeeeeeit.

Just sent of a flyer I designed for printing.
    When It comes back I realise the venue is spelt wrong.

God damnit why didn't I do a final proof-read.

101 on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    There's some sort of rule that you won't spot obvious typos until just after it's too late to do anything about them.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Erics wrote: »
    Hello Designer thread! I didn't know you existed!

I haven't done anything too neat lately so I don't have much to post. But I did do some design work for a forum (logos, forum skin, currently working on front page), so I guess I can post that?

badpostslo.pngbadpostslo.jpg

ah, you're working on our new forums i see

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    DMAC wrote: »
    There's some sort of rule that you won't spot obvious typos until just after it's too late to do anything about them.

Wanna live in a Universe where this doesn't exist.

My one consolation is that the logo I designed for it is p awesome.

Also designing is way harder then I thought

101 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Friendly editing tip: Abbreviating words and saying things like "p awesome" causes you to fall into some pretty nasty writing and reading habits, making it possible for more typos and mistakes to fall through the cracks.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Linked this in the Grammys thread, but it's as much an accomplishment of impressive design as it is a neat way to explore musical subgenres.

I give you The Map of Metal

This thing is kinda blowing my mind.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Friendly editing tip: Abbreviating words and saying things like "p awesome" causes you to fall into some pretty nasty writing and reading habits, making it possible for more typos and mistakes to fall through the cracks.

D:

Never thought of that.

101 on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    this is something I did that I still like a lot

ionesco-flyer.png

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It is true, it happened to me

Then again I ain't writin' no copy or shit so I don't give a fffuuuucckk

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wam you are good at textures did you know?

Also if we're posting things we did ages ago and are still proud of, I still love my freelance logo

5174_137499980872_553435872_3377719_8155975_n.jpg

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pipe I love everything about that logo except the 'graphics'

I would write up my reasons why but damn if I want to do that on my phone.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    textures are something I love and have tried to get away from

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Pipe I love everything about that logo except the 'graphics'

I would write up my reasons why but damn if I want to do that on my phone.

the opposite is true for me, I love the graphics and want to take a cane to that font choice

edit: that sounded so mean -- I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that viciously, I just am a font snob

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think he means the word 'graphics'.

Also #pipe whatever you used to compress that isn't doing it justice. PNGs, man!

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ohhh

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I specifically meant the word 'graphics'. The condensed font combined with the lower case and also it still being pretty much the same size as the rest just irks me

Seems unnecessary for it to be there right now

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wam that is Avant Garde which is an excellent font just so you know

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    In short, yeah what wam said.

THAT FONT

Vann Diras on