As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RIFT] - Update 1.7 : Patch notes page 86 guild on gnarlewood

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Your first expert was Runic Descent? I think you may have been dying a lot because you were in a T2 dungeon.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, its easy to get the Healing requirment for T2 without trying, is its just a single stat.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, it's so WEIRD how the lvl 18 PVP vendor is in Stonefield.
    I mean, by the time you'd normally get there,you'd be at least 23 or so.
    I had to ride all the way there to get my stuff!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I spent nearly four years running back and forth in Scarlet Gorge and now I'm finally done the SG/FC part of the saga of the endless and I am never going to spend more than the minimum amount of time in scarlet gorge ever again

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i fucking can not do this god damn puzzle in moonshade.

and all the pugs that come to help me couldn't click a button if their life depended on it. And I think my ping is too high to do it solo.

fuck this game, i quit.

This one was a pain in the ass. You can't do it solo. The puzzle makes you think you can, but I'm pretty sure there's not a human alive who can do it. (and if you post here that you did, you're a liar, so don't bother :P).

For great success, get three friends, and get on voice chat. The hardest part is everyone needs to start clicking at nearly the same time, or the light cycles won't line up close enough to get the power to full.
    When you're assigned to two buttons, click one - pause one second - click the other. Then move your mouse back to the first button, and just keep clicking until you see the refresh. The one second pause let's you get the mouse over to the second one for a smooth transition.

When the charge hits full, you should have a few seconds where it will hang there, allowing the person at the top to click the sparkling bowl and solve the puzzle.

Note, you do have to repeat this for everyone.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugh... that doesn't sound fun. I kinda skipped doing the saga quest in Scarlet Gorge and need to go back soon.

edit - Ironzerg... I didn't do it solo, but I watched someone who did. She did it three times in a row for my guardian guildmates.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    So I spent nearly four years running back and forth in Scarlet Gorge and now I'm finally done the SG/FC part of the saga of the endless and I am never going to spend more than the minimum amount of time in scarlet gorge ever again

Yeah, that whole area can eat a dick. Really tough and annoying quests with no respawn nearby? What the hell, Trion. Awful level design.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Ugh... that doesn't sound fun. I kinda skipped doing the saga quest in Scarlet Gorge and need to go back soon.

edit - Ironzerg... I didn't do it solo, but I watched someone who did. She did it three times in a row for my guardian guildmates.

Liar :P

ironzerg on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Yeah, that whole area can eat a dick. Really tough and annoying quests with no respawn nearby? What the hell, Trion. Awful level design.

For the most part I was completely fine running back and forth for all the regular quests

But the fucking saga of the endless oh my god

Run around opening and closing rifts like a madman to try and get 5 death rifts, then get a quest that says to scale the cliffs of riverfell but the target I'm after is apparently at ground level on the other side of the water fall the quest giver is standing next to and the target is also a 30 elite but the quest isn't marked group

Then run the five miles up the cliff to kill some spiders then run all the way across the zone to a cave which was apparently a factory to find a chest in a corner, then all the way across the zone again and another slow five mile hike up the cliffs again

I would have killed for some quest markers or some better hints or something

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ok so I put a few hour into the game last night and I must say I am quite surprised at the detail and polish put into the interface. It's simple, and has everything I need.

Run smooth as silk on my iMac using Crossover, except for the random lag spikes attributed with Wine.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I met people last night! We bitched about server transfers and smelting! I'm in a guild!

What level can I start running instances? I've never ever done them in any game ever.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You can open the LFG tool and click on "specific dungeons" on the bottom to see the level ranges for each normal dungeon. I believe that Iron Tombs opens up around 17-20?

Also in Saga of the Endless? I literally stopped doing the quests when it was like "hey, close 5 death rifts in a zone where they hardly ever spawn and when they do they are a billion lightyears away!" Finally picked it up again at level 50 when I saw a death invasion in the zone.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Question about the LFG tool: Can I as a Defiant run Realm of the Fae? Cause I can totally choose it!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Jason036Jason036 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Should I be getting better FPS in RIFT with the current setup?

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
    System Memory (GB): 6
    Video Card: 2x NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Game Resolution: 1900 x 1280, Middle Settings

I've been playing RIFT for just over a week and wanted to know if I should look into getting a new graphics card or if my processor just isn't good enough.

At the settings above, I get around 22 FPS out in the world and in Meridian it drops to the middle teens. I was expecting my machine to do better than this, but maybe it's time for an upgrade.

Is my FPS about right with my system?
    Do you forsee any issues with my CPU bottle necking me to the point that a new graphics card really won't help?

Jason036 on
    Jason036
  • Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    Question about the LFG tool: Can I as a Defiant run Realm of the Fae? Cause I can totally choose it!

Yeah you can. Only drawback is, you don't get any of the quests other than the Automatic one you get when you zone in.

But that's actually a pretty small disadvantage when you consider that you could get a blue cache everytime you random it.

Arryn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ok, I'm in that first beginning spot right after you time skip to the world. Arcade of the Arcane or some junk. Anyway, every so often these weird quests pop up and I get warnings about so and so invading something or other. I get repeated updates and eventually whatever I'm supposed to be defending crumples and.... that's it. What the heck are those and should I care?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Those are "Dynamic Events" and they come in several flavors.

1.) You're by a rift. Rifts are pretty obvious and they are like PQs from War. Several stages, each stage has certain tasks.

2.) Invasion forces. These are small groups of planar invaders. One leader and his hench men. You kill them and get some planarite (Special currency) and artifacts (fun collectibles for vanity items). If you look at your map you will see two crossed swords that represent the force. If you highlight it, it will show you where they are headed. They are almost always head to wardstones (big special rocks in town) to try and destroy and build their own special rock in its place. This will normally despawn local NPCs until it is cleared out. You'll get notices when invaders are getting close to a wardstone in hopes that you'll go defend it along with the NPCs and other players.

3.) Zone Invasions. These will pop up for everyone in the zone, not just people near the event. These are huge events that are, essentially, telara being torn asunder by planar invaders. Tons of rifts will open and start flooding the world with Invaders. Normally it will involve the zone killing x invaders and sealing x many rifts, and then if the marked town centers do not fall? A huge boss will appear for you all to battle.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, basically, those are kinda what you play the game for, Pink!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I run the game in bootcamp on my iMac and have no issues on high graphics. Don't know if that helps you at all.

I started the game running side by side with two characters a rogue and a mage. I've recently almost entirely stopped playing my mage. Rogue is way too much fun.

Right now I run Sab/RS for PvP and dungeons, and RS/Ranger/Bard for questing. I LOVE RS, but I get nervous tanking dungeons. Everytime I've done it it's because our tank left us high and dry and I had to switch roles. I'm hoping to become more comfortable with it, and luckily most people seem to be cool and patient. In questing it's the bomb. Healing to full when you kill something allows me to take on huge groups I can't with my Sab.

I'm only 35, but hopefully will join you 50 people here soon!

p.s. Sunrest for the win!

Tulabelle on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

They totally are. I love them.

The ones I was questioning tho was the Zone Invasions. They happen and the sound effects are all DOOM OMG and then... poof. Nothing.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

The ones I was questioning tho was the Zone Invasions. They happen and the sound effects are all DOOM OMG and then... poof. Nothing.

Uh, if you never noticed anything during the invasions, then your server must be REEEEEEEEALLY good about holding them at bay.
    You also probably never saw a "massive" invasion, which basically turns the entire sky into a different color!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I agree with Pink. The invasions are lackluster, tepid, and limp at best. There are no serious lasting consequences for failing. Just more walking pixel-bags of xp waiting to be killed.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    MarloweMarlowe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I agree with Pink. The invasions are lackluster, tepid, and limp at best. There are no serious lasting consequences for failing. Just more walking pixel-bags of xp waiting to be killed.
    Eh, it's a step in the right direction. It is fun to do and has a low barrier for entry (you can immediately participate) versus puttign together a group for a dungeon.

The only time we will have true consequences in a game is when it is player-driven. But I think most people would hate that.

Marlowe on
  • Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

So what you're probably missing is the final Boss fight, it sounds like.

Usually the zone invasions will have some requisite tasks ... for example, stop X number of Invaders and close Y number of Rifts.

Once the X and Y have been met (your quest tracker on the side should show you) then a Big Bad will spawn somewhere in the zone. Open your map and look for something that looks like a horned skull with battle-axes crossed beneath it. That's where the Boss is.

Make your way there and join the raid taking him down. Phat lewtz await!

Arryn on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You were probably in the start area of the zone, which doesn't seem to be affected much by invasions. Coddle the newbies and what not.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Marlowe wrote: »
    Eh, it's a step in the right direction. It is fun to do and has a low barrier for entry (you can immediately participate) versus puttign together a group for a dungeon.

The only time we will have true consequences in a game is when it is player-driven. But I think most people would hate that.

Eh, I don't know. I played Tabula Rasa which used a very similar game mechanic. Aliens would invade and take over control points and they would stay taken over until players took them back. They just didn't go away like they do in Rift. Which that strikes me as really fucking stupid. Seriously... the planar creatures are trying to get here and trying to tear Telara apart and remake it into their chosen element. They wouldn't just "fade away" if no one was attacking them.

I think if npc's take over a quest hub and create a stronghold, it should stay there til players clear it. Over time it should get stronger, with more mob, greater range of the visual fx that changes the ground. Actual defensive structures spawned in and more. Give 'em a buff that grants bonus xp if they're eventually killed.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Uh, if you never noticed anything during the invasions, then your server must be REEEEEEEEALLY good about holding them at bay.
    You also probably never saw a "massive" invasion, which basically turns the entire sky into a different color!

No the invasions win every time. The updates say so and such and such is always destroyed. I've never seen a hint of them.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Arryn wrote: »

So what you're probably missing is the final Boss fight, it sounds like.

Usually the zone invasions will have some requisite tasks ... for example, stop X number of Invaders and close Y number of Rifts.

Once the X and Y have been met (your quest tracker on the side should show you) then a Big Bad will spawn somewhere in the zone. Open your map and look for something that looks like a horned skull with battle-axes crossed beneath it. That's where the Boss is.

Make your way there and join the raid taking him down. Phat lewtz await!

No, I miss every aspect of it. No one else seems to be doing it either because the invasion always wins.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Eh, I don't know. I played Tabula Rasa which used a very similar game mechanic. Aliens would invade and take over control points and they would stay taken over until players took them back. They just didn't go away like they do in Rift. Which that strikes me as really fucking stupid. Seriously... the planar creatures are trying to get here and trying to tear Telara apart and remake it into their chosen element. They wouldn't just "fade away" if no one was attacking them.

I think if npc's take over a quest hub and create a stronghold, it should stay there til players clear it. Over time it should get stronger, with more mob, greater range of the visual fx that changes the ground. Actual defensive structures spawned in and more. Give 'em a buff that grants bonus xp if they're eventually killed.

yes, yes, YES.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

No the invasions win every time. The updates say so and such and such is always destroyed. I've never seen a hint of them.

Generally if the Planars are always winning, it's because no one's playing Defense and stopping the Invaders at the Wardstones. Once the Wardstones are gone, that's it, game over. Usually this is due to a low population, just not enough people on when the Invasion happens.

Any idea of the population level of your server? I've only ever seen an invasion fail when I was on a previous server that even though it said "Medium" on the log-in screen, was pretty low. Once I switched to a High pop server (Faeblight) I never saw another Fail.

Arryn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Arryn wrote: »

Generally if the Planars are always winning, it's because no one's playing Defense and stopping the Invaders at the Wardstones. Once the Wardstones are gone, that's it, game over. Usually this is due to a low population, just not enough people on when the Invasion happens.

Any idea of the population level of your server? I've only ever seen an invasion fail when I was on a previous server that even though it said "Medium" on the log-in screen, was pretty low. Once I switched to a High pop server (Faeblight) I never saw another Fail.

I'm on Faeblight.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I dont think Sky Captain actually plays rift.

Stuff takes like 20 minutes to actually despawn, and even then its only the excess invaders. The foothold and guard stay until they are busted. At least Ive never, ever, seen a foothold vanish. and if the invader groups didnt despawn, some places would be impossible to take back. Especially in end game zone events where a wardstone will have 30-40 invasion groups on it after a failed invasion. Sometimes you have to make concessions for playability that lean away from straight storyline. Might as well say "Why the fuck doesn't someone learn how to be an assassin/pyromancer!"

Magic, once you get a little bit more south they will probably be more of an issue. If you are still in the first quest hub, not much happens up there except the same death rift over and over again. This is to keep new players from coming out of Terminus and into a completely conquered area where they have no idea whats going on and cant do anything until it resets.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Magic, once you get a little bit more south they will probably be more of an issue. If you are still in the first quest hub, not much happens up there except the same death rift over and over again. This is to keep new players from coming out of Terminus and into a completely conquered area where they have no idea whats going on and cant do anything until it resets.

Yeah, that must be it. They're keeping us cushy and comfy. Well, I'm excited to do them once my virtual testicles finally drop.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    More information about Character & Guild transfers with a list of available destination shards by faction. http://ow.ly/5na0a

NA Defiant
    Alsbeth
    Amardis
    Asphodel
    Atrophinius
    Belmont
    Byriel
    Carrion
    Crucia
    Dayblind
    Deepwood
    Epoch
    Estrael
    Faeblight
    Faemist
    Freeholme
    Galena
    Greenscale
    Greybriar
    Harrow
    Keenblade
    Laethys
    Lotham
    Millrush
    Molinar
    Neddra
    Rasmolov
    Seastone
    Shadefallen
    Shatterbone
    Silkweb
    Snarebrush
    Sunrest
    Threesprings
    NA Guardian
    Alsbeth
    Amardis
    Asphodel
    Atrophinius
    Belmont
    Byriel
    Carrion
    Crucia
    Dayblind
    Deepstrike
    Deepwood
    Epoch
    Estrael
    Faeblight
    Faemist
    Freeholme
    Galena
    Greenscale
    Greybriar
    Harrow
    Keenblade
    Laethys
    Lotham
    Millrush
    Molinar
    Neddra
    Rasmolov
    Seastone
    Shadefallen
    Shatterbone
    Silkweb
    Snarebrush
    Sunrest
    Threesprings
    EU Defiant
    ENGLISH
    Argent
    Blightweald
    Bloodiron
    Cloudborne
    Firesand
    Icewatch
    Riptalon
    Sagespire
    Shivermere
    Steampike
    Whitefall

FRENCH
    Briesol
    Centius
    Cestus
    Grimnir
    Phynnious
    Rubicon
    Tempete

GERMAN
    Akala
    Brutmutter
    Brutwacht
    Feenring
    Felsspitze
    Granitstaub
    Immerwacht
    Rhazade
    Spross-Passage
    Trubkopf
    Zareph
    EU Guardian
    ENGLISH
    Argent
    Blightweald
    Bloodiron
    Cloudborne
    Firesand
    Icewatch
    Riptalon
    Sagespire
    Shivermere

FRENCH
    Briesol
    Centius
    Cestus
    Grimnir
    Phynnious
    Rubicon
    Tempete

GERMAN
    Akala
    Brutmutter
    Brutwacht
    Feenring
    Felsspitze
    Granitstaub
    Immerwacht
    Rhazade
    Spross-Passage
    Trubkopf
    Zareph

Looks like all servers?

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I like the idea, but the lower population the server is the worse it would be. High pop servers would never see that kind of action while low populations would never be able to access quest-givers.

Maybe if it was that way at the very highest end zones? Give level 50s something to do besides crashing level 20 invasion events.

Khildith on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Importantly, both Faeblight and Sunrest are destinations.

So... Flip a Coin?

*edit*
    http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=sunrest&word2=faeblight

Houn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The invader groups shouldn't lounge around after establishing a foothold imo. They should go back to invading and take over something else.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    50s would crash the lower level events in any case because they give achievements, rep, plan, and artifacts.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't think any of the carebears are going to come over to Sunrest, no matter how much candy we have in our van. How are you guys doing on Faeblight? I prefer PvP, but I'll go wherever because I don't care that much. Maybe I'll leave 1 char on Sunrest so I can be a gigantic camping dickbag.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    I don't think any of the carebears are going to come over to Sunrest, no matter how much candy we have in our van. How are you guys doing on Faeblight? I prefer PvP, but I'll go wherever because I don't care that much. Maybe I'll leave 1 char on Sunrest so I can be a gigantic camping dickbag.

How much open world pvp actually happens over on Sunrest? I'd think that's pretty much the only real difference, yeah? Other than the camping of the noobs ofc.

Faeblight has a pretty strong population with Invasions popping all the time, strong AH, etc etc.

I'd be cool ending up on either server.

Arryn on
This discussion has been closed.