As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] Leona delayed, Champion Spotlight videos still dumb

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Varethius wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Thor1590 wrote: »
    Thor1590 wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    I have a new game worthy PC, and the premise of this game sounds amazing, and similar to my beloved Sacrifice and Brutal Legend. I'm downloading it now, and intend to play it in the style of such, with lots of towers and units rather than attack power.

You're going to be playing a very, very boring game then.
    You can't build towers or units.

He could play exclusively Hiemerdinger and use Rally.

haha I was thinking about that.

You could also be annie and only use her ult. Pokemans.

Ah, wrong choice of words. Perhaps something of a support role like in Monday Night Combat.

Sona Soraka Janna Taric Zilean Karma and I guess Lux are the supporty champs.

I might be missing someone

I think you could class Galio as support.

Better off played as a tanky mage though. His W is an awesome support ability yes, but he needs pretty decent farm to contribute and support items are mostly wasted on him.

On the subject of Galio though, I really wish LoL had an MR analog to thornmail, it would be so perfect for him. (And frankly is kind of needed what with AP being so strong right now in the meta.)

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    WagsWags Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    so with singed, it seems like the general idea is to have two ap items, and the rest be your tanky items. Rod of Ages seems like the single best ap item for him, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what to use for the second one. I've seen some suggest rylai's, but for some reason I dont' really like it.

Wags on
    The gods certainly weren't role models in our sense, unless you wanted to model a Mount Olympus trailer park.
  • Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    So for a new player this bug where I can't Champion pick, followed by having to random, and topped with game never starting is AMAZING.

It only seems to happen to me when I hit Play Again. I've been returning to main screen and just starting over after each consecutive game instead and it stopped happening.

Varg on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    On the topic of jungling, I'm sans computer for about a week but would love some LoL related reading. I've become the defacto jungler for my group of friends. At first, at lower levels, it was just enough that I was there and jungling. We would get more exp out of the laning phase because we had a jungler and they didn't, we would get buffs early and they wouldn't, we had better ganking presence, etc.

But now that we are getting higher level me just being there isn't enough. I feel like I ought to be warding, hunting the enemy ward, counter jungling and controlling the objectives better. The problem is everything I read doesn't say how, or why, or when, or how much to ward. They just say "Ward, ward, ward" and expect me to intuit the rest. But, how much gold should I spend on wards? How much is it worth delaying my own item builds? How do I know when it is safe to counterjungle and when is it suicidal? How do I control dragon?

Basically, I feel a little out of my depth when it comes to the finer points of jungling. Any advice or theory reading on this would be greatly appreciated.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wags wrote: »
    so with singed, it seems like the general idea is to have two ap items, and the rest be your tanky items. Rod of Ages seems like the single best ap item for him, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what to use for the second one. I've seen some suggest rylai's, but for some reason I dont' really like it.

Deathcap and abyssal scepter may be acceptable choices.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Wags wrote: »

Slow on his poison trail and fling is just simply too good to pass up imo.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    this is the tread that never ends. it goes on and on my friend.

how do I still know those lyrics

Jars on
  • Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    On the topic of jungling, I'm sans computer for about a week but would love some LoL related reading. I've become the defacto jungler for my group of friends. At first, at lower levels, it was just enough that I was there and jungling. We would get more exp out of the laning phase because we had a jungler and they didn't, we would get buffs early and they wouldn't, we had better ganking presence, etc.

But now that we are getting higher level me just being there isn't enough. I feel like I ought to be warding, hunting the enemy ward, counter jungling and controlling the objectives better. The problem is everything I read doesn't say how, or why, or when, or how much to ward. They just say "Ward, ward, ward" and expect me to intuit the rest. But, how much gold should I spend on wards? How much is it worth delaying my own item builds? How do I know when it is safe to counterjungle and when is it suicidal? How do I control dragon?

Basically, I feel a little out of my depth when it comes to the finer points of jungling. Any advice or theory reading on this would be greatly appreciated.

This blog post on solomid.net has a pretty nice summary list of things you should be doing as a jungler.

http://www.solomid.net/blog.php?v=8254

I personally like it myself as it emphasises map control and less on ganking lanes all the time, which is what people will expect you to do and pressure you to do.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Using Irelia against lvl20s feels like child abuse.
    It's like I'm committing a crime.

A0dE2.png

I still can't find a build I like for her more than that one. Tops out at (after pots + barron) just under max attack speed with true damage and at 538 Movement Speed... with a dash and a slow. No one escapes. Ever.
    (I run a full rune page of +Attack Speed.)

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    full attack speed glass cannon irelia will get blown the fuck up against better players, which makes me sad because it's so goddamn fun

interrobang on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    full attack speed glass cannon irelia will get blown the fuck up against better players, which makes me sad because it's so goddamn fun

No. You dash out, heal up from range with the ult + potion, and jump right back in. Or just stay in the fray, use CC, and heal from your passive, lifesteal items, and her ult as it hits their entire team. Her regen is absurd. You also don't go into the fight first.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    First game as Karma, we get lined up against a rather strange team. Everyone of them had Revive and teleport, expect for Tf who had fortify instead of revive...

Capture-1.png

Zealot on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I had a game where everyone had Revive/Fortify. Made the final push into their base kind of annoying, but it was too gimmicky to win.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    1/2/1 during laning
    8/0/9 mid game
    0/2/2 late game

I wish my team just stopped dying, stopped fighting in maoki's ultimate, stopped focusing rammus.

Oh well, couldn't carry hard enough during my 2nd akali game ever

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Cutfang wrote: »
    This blog post on solomid.net has a pretty nice summary list of things you should be doing as a jungler.

http://www.solomid.net/blog.php?v=8254

I personally like it myself as it emphasises map control and less on ganking lanes all the time, which is what people will expect you to do and pressure you to do.

That killing jungle camps as efficiently as possible is better exp than SUCCESSFUL ganks just blew my mind.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ganks arent really helpful unless the lane is losing. The only thing ganking does is makes your score look better so your team likes you.

If you solo queue, 9 times out of 10 when you jungle the other team wont, so the fact you are giving a second team mate the level/farm advantage of mid while maintaining / surpassing what you would have received from the lane yourself is enough. You don't need to gank at that point to be doing them a service, you just need to jungle like mad then get yourself some wards and lol at the other team as they cant counter anything you do.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ganking is kind of an art, it's a projection of force kind of thing, high risk but very rewarding. A good one depends on a lot of factors though. Lane has to be pushed a bit, the other champ needs to be able to help you, and you need to make sure you'll at a minimum not get both you and your ally killed in the attempt. Ultimately though, even if you just made someone blow their flash, it's a successful gank. Ganks definitely suck experience and gold gain though, because you burn a lot of time getting to and setting up a good gank.

In solo queue jungling is a huge advantage for your team if the top solo lane can handle a probable 1v2, but in my experience it's usually rare. I've taken to announcing the possibility in the pre game lobby though so people know what they're in for. This is in normals though, where hardly anyone jungles.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    this is the true irelia build

irelia2.jpg

Jars on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Ganks arent really helpful unless the lane is losing. The only thing ganking does is makes your score look better so your team likes you.

If you solo queue, 9 times out of 10 when you jungle the other team wont, so the fact you are giving a second team mate the level/farm advantage of mid while maintaining / surpassing what you would have received from the lane yourself is enough. You don't need to gank at that point to be doing them a service, you just need to jungle like mad then get yourself some wards and lol at the other team as they cant counter anything you do.

Ganks are very helpful all the time. My rule of thumb is that two successful ganks during laning phase generally ruins the victim's entire game if you press the advantage.

When I lane, as Vlad, even one gank usually makes me permanently win the lane, and two ganks is often enough to boost me so far ahead that I can win any 1v1 and many 1v2s by the time mid game rolls around.

Also, depending on the jungler / lane situation, a single successful gank can kill the tower, allowing the lane to start roaming. Jungle Mord, for example, is especially good at this. His ganks require the lane to help with CC, but I've got 3 towers in 3 ganks in a game before.

Now, it is accurate to say that junglers basically have a dozen things to do and enough time to accomplish half that number, but it is important to recognize the benefits of a successful gank.

I don't want to encourage a "Gank all lanes all the time" mentality, and I often find myself telling a lane to go fly fucking kite because I am busy elsewhere, but there are a series of trade offs, and a good jungling path takes you near all the lanes at some point. If you are near a gankable lane, gank it. If not, keep jungling until you appear near a gankable lane.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oi. Something's broken.

I just came back to Irelia after a week and a half off, and have been absolutely been getting demolished on her. I don't know why, but I suddenly feel like her Attack Speed is slow as shit, and Triforce just isn't doing it for me anymore.

My Malzahar has been rampantly successful though. Not many people can outfarm a competent Malz, doubly so if they have no Jungler to gank him.

Priest on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Jars wrote: »

*snip*

tank irelia for lifeeee

how is new wit's end on her? i haven't picked it up cause i get so fixated on going trinity -> GA -> (other)

interrobang on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    rh7YH.jpg

Ignore my shit talk to Caitlin, she was a little bitch and deserved all of the cancer ridden vitriol I dictated to her.

I was Vodka Gimlet.

GO TEAM YORDLE!

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I guess I'm not sure why everyone is all apetits over Guardian Angel these days.

It feels like such an awkward crutch for non tanky characters, and only moderately tanky characters, like Irelia.

Sure, it gives armor and MR, it moderate helpings, at an ok price, but I've never felt like GA has ever in my life made the difference between a teamfight in my favor and one against.

At the same time though, I can't really argue against a guy like Chaox.

Priest on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Jars wrote: »

*snip*

tank irelia for lifeeee

how is new wit's end on her? i haven't picked it up cause i get so fixated on going trinity -> GA -> (other)

it gets the job done but the old wit's end was amazing on her in lane.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    i like getting GA because it puts the enemy team in an awkward position in fights. waste resources on killing me just so i can revive and hit them more, or ignore me completely and let me beat their carry's face in with utter impunity?

the choice

71035_2234187516_1309692_n.jpg

is yours

interrobang on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Ignore my shit talk to Caitlin, she was a little bitch and deserved all of the cancer ridden vitriol I dictated to her.

I was Vodka Gimlet.

GO TEAM YORDLE!

Why would you post that screenshot? You look like an asshole in the chat log and like you don't know how to play when you're about 70 creep kills lower than you should be. I didn't think it was possible to get a score like that as Rumble, but you sir have proven me wrong.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    5928524156_71f908124b.jpg

lul

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    5928524156_71f908124b.jpg

lul

Love Mordekaiser beats.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    i like getting GA because it puts the enemy team in an awkward position in fights. waste resources on killing me just so i can revive and hit them more, or ignore me completely and let me beat their carry's face in with utter impunity?

the choice

71035_2234187516_1309692_n.jpg

is yours

this picture about your sig made me laugh.

VicWhiten on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Fellhand wrote: »

I was Vodka Gimlet.

GO TEAM YORDLE!

Why would you post that screenshot? You look like an asshole in the chat log and like you don't know how to play when you're about 70 creep kills lower than you should be. I didn't think it was possible to get a score like that as Rumble, but you sir have proven me wrong.

Seriously, why would you post that? I seriously hope you got reported for that, MegaMan.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    rh7YH.jpg

I was Vodka Gimlet.

GO TEAM YORDLE!

Honestly, any level 30 should recognize that double IE is the wrong answer, always, so don't feel bad.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    And I mean if you're gonna go multiple IEs you gotta have the balls to go all the way, 6 IEs no boots

Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    was the second IE a troll purchase or did she honestly look at all the items in the shop and go "yes. what i need is another one. that is what i need."

interrobang on
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Annie remains my favorite character. Not close.

In what other game can you play a flame-wielding eight-year old who incinerates Ninjas, and strikes fear into the hearts of Archangels?

(serious question, that game is an immediate purchase for me)

Roz on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Fellhand wrote: »

I was Vodka Gimlet.

GO TEAM YORDLE!

Seriously, why would you post that? I seriously hope you got reported for that, MegaMan.

Seriously dude, if you acted like that in a game I was in you'd find a permanent home on my ignore list. A big reason I play with PAers is an attempt to not have to deal with ragers.

Neaden on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think it's stupid if you report someone for saying assholish things. I mean, really, I don't care what you say, especially as long as you don't care if I get to say mean things back.

I really only report people for being leavers (and then in gratuitous situations, like when our mordekaiser died like once at level 2, told us to go fuck ourselves and quit. I mean, really? Quit after one death? Just don't play, how about that) or feeding.

One guy I was planning on reporting but didn't was an olaf who, after one death, basically said fuck it and just started jungling, didn't help us out at all, only ever fought the enemy when they ran into his jungle (and he killed them like 3 on 1)

until the very end when he couldn't even leave the base to jungle, and he joined our teamfights and helped us push to their base, and we won.

But just someone shit talking? That gets answering shit talk and my scorn, but it doesn't deserve a report unless it's coupled with something else, or it's literally all game and it impedes the play significantly.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I know it's been like, months

but

still grieving over the sunfire cape nerf

NEVAR FORGET

Eddy on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    was the second IE a troll purchase or did she honestly look at all the items in the shop and go "yes. what i need is another one. that is what i need."

"Hmm... what does Unique Passive mean? Aw fuck it, I'll drop the 3830 gold on it. Not like I need AD or AS."

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think it's stupid if you report someone for saying assholish things. I mean, really, I don't care what you say, especially as long as you don't care if I get to say mean things back.

I really only report people for being leavers (and then in gratuitous situations, like when our mordekaiser died like once at level 2, told us to go fuck ourselves and quit. I mean, really? Quit after one death? Just don't play, how about that) or feeding.

One guy I was planning on reporting but didn't was an olaf who, after one death, basically said fuck it and just started jungling, didn't help us out at all, only ever fought the enemy when they ran into his jungle (and he killed them like 3 on 1)

until the very end when he couldn't even leave the base to jungle, and he joined our teamfights and helped us push to their base, and we won.

But just someone shit talking? That gets answering shit talk and my scorn, but it doesn't deserve a report unless it's coupled with something else, or it's literally all game and it impedes the play significantly.

League of Legends is a game. I enjoy playing games with people who don't act like silly geese. If you act like a silly geese you get ignored and reported in the hopes that riot bans you and the playerbase of this game will become slightly less toxic.

Neaden on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Neaden wrote: »

League of Legends is a game. I enjoy playing games with people who don't act like silly geese. If you act like a silly geese you get ignored and reported in the hopes that riot bans you and the playerbase of this game will become slightly less toxic.

League of Legends is a game, which some people put a lot of effort (and sometimes money) into. Sometimes they take it too seriously, or are just jerks. A jerk might ruin a game for you by being mean spirited or shit talking. The difference is, when you finish that game, you can play again. When you report them and they get banned, can't play again, now and sometimes ever. There will always be toxic assholes out there, making it less "toxic" by one because they say mean things isn't worth taking away their ability to play the game at all, only when their actions are directly adverse to the goals of the game (rage quitting/feeding) is it worth it.

Put as many people on ignore as you want, no skin of my nose or theirs. But when you get someone banned for saying things you can ignore, in my eyes you come off the worse by comparison. I'd much rather play with 4 ragers who spit and curse at everyone else on our team as long as they remember to play the damn game, over playing with one person who reports on people who get angry and vitriolic without actually hurting the team through their play on purpose.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
This discussion has been closed.