As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Poké] The Last Sane Pokémon

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    mysterynesssprite.png: Atop the tree, Daryl begins to ponder how to continue his attack. Looking down, he notices his right paw instinctively grabbing something. Watching it move to his left paw reveals a cache of coins, all his!

meowthhappypaws.png: Riches! What fortune!

mysterynesssprite.png: Alas, this meowth can't quite ignore the plight of his fellow heroes. Maybe if these coins had been polished properly before abandonment...

meowthserious.png: I've gotta help them down there! Okay... taking the shot!

mysterynesssprite.png: Two coins dart with unerring accuracy towards the raticate, granting the pokemon literal money eyes as they collide. All the raticate can see is chump change as a final coin strikes squarely on the creature's forehead for emphasis.

Pay Day (ranged): 2d10+1= 9+8+1=18! Raticate takes 1 damage!

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    mysterynesssprite.png: Also, granting Kaboom a Voltage2.gif for writing off a miss as a "warning shot".

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Ge9sE.gif Altruism may be it's own reward, but it doesn't have to be the only reward

Rawk gets one Voltage2.gif

• Options
    edited September 2011
    :whistle:

rooksketch_SMALL.png

Squall on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Damn it, Marsh

shoulda tol' me you were running this

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    PMDDFight3.png

MarshGMSleepy.png Daryl and Kaboom focus fire on the pool's edge, catching the Raticate and one of the Rattata in the crossfire. Unable to stand any longer, the Rattata tumbles to the ground, bruised and burnt. The Raticate weathers the barrage better, but only barely, shaking its head to dull the lingering pain of Daryl's accurate shots.

Nevada, meanwhile, cuts off the passage of one of the Rattata through the undergrowth, who is rapidly left behind by his comrades as they shift out to flank the Bulbasaur. Hissing angrily, it charges at the Eevee, thrusting it's shoulder out in a mad tackle. While dodging to the side, slightly lessening the impact from the blow, Nevada notices the Rattata's eyes are blank and unfocused, its personality decidedly feral and unreasoning, though there isn't the slightest clue if this is normal for such a creature.

After a lengthy contemplation, Enki slips down the bank and into the pool with a "gloop", the cold but fresh water closing around him, familiar as an old friend.

The surviving Rattata leaps at the Bulbasaur, teeth bared, and hits Bulbasaur like truck, his teeth latching on tight to the Pokemon's shoulder which immediately grows slick with blood.

RattataM.png Raaaah!

BulbaOwie.png Ow! Ow! Ow! Get off me!

Dodging left and right in an attempt to shake off the dogged Rattata, the Bulbasaur eventually gives up and returns the grapple with a latching pair of vines.

BulbaAttackB.png How do like this, huh!?

He roars, quickly yanking off the Rattata like a bandaid and turning to send him flying through the air. The two Rattata reinforcements are forced to roll to the side as the Pokemon-turned-projectile flies past, smashing into the boulder wall with a sharp crack and falling to the ground, motionless.

BulbaAhJeezeB.png Ah, jeeze!

The Raticate chases after the fleeing Slowpoke, but his teeth snap at nothing but air as Enki slides with what can only be described as deceptive swiftness into the pond.

With a splash, the final Rattata unexpectedly joins Enki in the still water, yelping in surprise at the sudden soaking courtesy of Rook's Solid Snake-esque sneak attack.

Kaboom: Attack: 7+6 = 14 - Hit for 1 Damage! Rattata Fainted!
    Daryl: Attack: 9+8+1 = 19 - Hit for 1 Damage! Raticate's Panting!
    Nevada: Impede: 9 vs. 9 - Rattata is Impeded!
    Rattata: Movement Failed! (Impeded!)
    Rattata: Counterattack: 6+10 = 16 - Hit for 1 Damage! A Glancing Blow!
    Rattata: Moved to Hazard
    Rattata: Moved to Hazard
    Enki: Moved to Open (Aquatic)
    Rattata: Attack: 10, 10 = 20 - A Critical Hit for 2 Damage! Bulbasaur's Messed Up and Hurting!
    Raticate: Attack Failed (Target no longer in Arena)
    Bulbasaur: Attack: 5+6+2+1 = 14 - Hit for 1 Damage! Rattata Fainted!
    Rook: Push: 9 vs. 7 - Rattata is Pushed!

MarshGMSleepy.png Glaring after its lost quarry, the Raticate turns to the Dense thicket, and the Pineco that injured him, growling menacingly and ready to Move towards him. The twin Rattata who were meant to flank the Bulbasaur, finding themselves alone with the irate, bloodsoaked Grass-type dance back nervously, awaiting their opportunity to Attack and finish off the gravely wounded Pokemon. The Rattata confronted by Nevada dodges through the underbrush agilely, aiming to get another clean angle from which to Attack again. The poor Rattata in the pool flounders clumsily, intent only on Defending itself until it can get its bearings back. The Bulbasaur, despite his wounds, whips his vines angrily, ready to Attack the first Rattata to make a move on him.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Dubh wrote:
    Damn it, Marsh

MarshGM2.png But... but I did! I mentioned it in the Gloss thread like a week ago!

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited September 2011

AZZQR.gif Hmm so ya can swim I guess. Bummer.

Ge9sE.gif Leaping headlong (which is apparently Rook's thing) into the water, he lands with a splash, his elbow connecting with the Rattata's skull.

[Light Attack:Fighting] 3d10 + 1 = [3, 9 ,10] + 1 = 20

Squall on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    MarshGM.png Anyway, Player HP.
    All Player Characters have 5 HP (Unless they have Battlescarred, then they have 7). These HP are checked off one by one when damaged, and are described like so:

[ ] Battlescarred
    [ ] Battlescarred
    =====Healthy=====
    [ ] Glancing blow
    [ ] Been nicked, a few bruises
    [ ] Wind Knocked out, panting
    [ ] Taken a Nasty Hit, Bleeding
    [ ] Messed up and hurting, making dangerous mistakes
    ================
    [ ] Unconcious, roll a d10 to see if you are just KO'd or Bleeding Out

When you take Damage that takes you into the negatives (below Messed up and Hurting), you roll a 1d10. If you roll 4 or higher, you are knocked out for the rest of the combat, or until someone uses a healing ability on you, after the battle you uncheck the Unconscious box. If you roll lower then 4, you are Bleeding out and your life is in danger. Unless a comrade in the same Arena uses their action next turn to staunch your bleeding, or someone uses a healing ability on you before combat is over, you must make a Commitment Check of 10 or better or die. (For serious).

A short rest is an hour or so, in which you catch a bite to eat and a few sips of drink. This will heal you completely if you only had the Wind knocked out of you or better. You catch your breath and rest your muscles and are ready to leap back into action. If you've Taken a nasty hit or worse, you've lost blood, got some serious contusions, or are otherwise pretty darn worn out. You'll need a full day of bed rest to recover from your wounds.

Note: These two types of rest are different from the kind that recharges your "per Rest" abilities. Those are usable once a day, or at the very least with a good meal and a decent block of sleep between uses.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    D9awK.png Toot toot all aboard the Slowboat

r4EkW.png Enki gloops on over to the water nearest the ailing 'Saur. His guileless eyes (kinda) settle on the pokemon, and a lazy grin falls on his face.

"Slooooow." Hey man. "Poooke." Hop on.

• Options
    MarshGMUh.pngThe Bulbasaur looks between the approaching Rattata and the odd Slowpoke.

BulbaAhJeezeB.png Well, you can talk at least... Okay!

MarshGM2.pngThe Bulbasaur amends his action to Moving into the pond.

Enki: Attribute (Charm): 11 vs. 4 - Success

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote:
    Damn it, Marsh

MarshGM2.png But... but I did! I mentioned it in the Gloss thread like a week ago!

a likely story

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    "Alright, buddy," the Eevee says, panting slightly,

veerage.png

"I think you need to chill out." She rushes forward and tears into the nearest Rattata with frozen jaws, wincing ever so slightly as her teeth break the skin.

[Light Attack: Ice Fang] 3d10 -> [8, 4, 10] 8+10+2= 20

Heh, I'm so clever

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    that's more like a weather forecast than anything

"We have the marine layer coming up, so we should see a lot of fog on Saturday"

*Saturday rolls around and it's 100 degrees*

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited September 2011
    meowthserious.png: <Don't worry bulbasaur, I'll save you!>

mysterynesssprite.png: A single coin spinning an excessively unnecessary amount of times flies towards one of the rattata in the hazard area, knocking them unconscious with one swift clunk to the head.

Pay Day (ranged): 2d10+1= 9+1+1 = 11 (hit)! Rattata takes 1 damage! Rattata fainted!

meowthsweatdrop.png: Alright, now quickly finish off th..oh. Yeah, that'll work too.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I couldn't get this out of my head, so I drew it.
    LadiesandGentlemen.png
    Psheeeeeew.png
    ThePinMissile.png

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    KaboomNervous.png: Hmm... perhaps I'm in a bit over my head... err... shell? I dunno, I'm kinda nothing but a giant head.

KaboomAngry.png: Not important! No more love taps, this time I mean business!

BroMiniAV.gif: Watching the Raticate rearing its fangs, Kaboom gives it the ol' staredown, readying another volley of his potent pins.

KaboomAngry.png: Apparently you didn't learn in Pokemon School... you mess with the Pineco, you get the spikes!

[Ranged Attack (Pin Missile) vs. Raticate: 8+9 (+1) = 18 (Hit for 1 damage!)]

BroMiniAV.gif: The flurry of sharp spines catches the Raticate in the side, exploding like firecrackers on the creature's hide.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    gonna end you in your sleep marsh

gonna do it

ps take one Voltage2.gif

Squall on
  • Options
    Gonna go ahead and just transfer that on over to Terr (Voltage5.gif), for inspiring the picture in a roundabout way.

Need all the help you can get.

• Options
    mysterynesssprite.png: I tell myself over and over again that it's not THAT original of a joke, but I still can't keep myself from grinning.

Nevada gains 1 Voltage2.gif

• Options
    edited September 2011
    PMDDFight4.png

MarshGMSleepy.png The Rattata rights himself, his tiny paws paddling spastically at the water just in time for to get an elbow to the noggin courtesy of Rook. He drifts away slowly, his unconscious form floating lazily like a cork.

Back on land, the Raticate dashes forward with unbelievable speed from something so fuzzy and roly-poly, Kaboom manages to get a salvo of spines into the Pokemon's side before it collides with him heavily, smashing through the undergrowth and biting at his face. His tough scale-like armor wards off the snapping teeth, but Kaboom's still a bit addled from the unexpected tackle.

The Bulbasaur gives one last look at his pursuers, then turns to the pond and leaps out onto Enki's back, dunking the two underwater for a few moments before Enki can float back up to the surface. The Bulbasaur clings tightly to the Slowpoke's slippery pink hide. The two Rattata scamper over to the edge of the pool, their paws sliding in the mud, as they look on in consternation, Daryl sends another coin flying with sniper precision, knocking one out with a clonk.

In the brush, the two quadrapedal Pokemon circle each other, teeth bared, careful not to catch themselves in the thorns and tangled vines. Suddenly the Rattata loses his nerve and leaps, incisors glinting in the dappled lighting. Quicker then their opponent, Nevada dodges to the side and takes the rodent in the throat as he's thrown off balance, mouth filling with a foul, metallic taste as the bite wound rapidly freezes over. The Rattata cries out in pain, stumbling back a few steps before collapsing into a bush.

Rattata: Defensive Stance!
    Kaboom: Attack: 8+9+1 = 18 - Hit for 1 Damage! Raticate is Messed Up and Hurting!
    Daryl: Attack: 9+1+1 = 11 - Hit For 1 Damage! Rattata Fainted!
    Raticate: Moved to Dense Arena
    Raticate: Attack: 2+8+2+1+2 = 15 - Hit for 2 Damage! Voltage Generated! Bonus 1 Damage! Kaboom's Winded!
    Bulbasaur: Moved to Open (Aquatic) Arena
    Rattata: Attack: Failed (Target no longer in Arena)
    Rook: Attack: 3+9+10+1 = 20 - Hit for 1 Damage! Rattata Fainted!
    Nevada: Attack: 8+10+2 = 20 - Hit for 1 Damage! Rattata Fainted!

MarshGMSleepy.png The last Rattata on the pond edge has clearly lost his nerve, and is Moving back into the Tight Arena where he came from. The Raticate, however, is still out for blood, Attacking Kaboom viciously and with no consideration for the consequences of grappling an explosive.

Bulbasaur hangs out on Enki's back, uneasily, Delaying.

BulbaAhJeezeB.png Hey, thanks guy. I thought I was a goner. Name's Bulbasaur.

Generator: Voltage2.gifVoltage.gifVoltage5.gifVoltage.gifVoltage2.gifVoltage.gifVoltage4.gifVoltage6.gifVoltage5.gif (9)

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Note: Since the Attack Turn happens after Move, Nevada can set up an ambush for the Rattata, hitting him after he enters the Arena.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    D9awK.pngMoving to the south.
    r4EkW.png Enki paddles his little hippolegs, heading to the great unknown. Saving Bulbasaur is a great time.

"Sloooowpo... ke." I am called... Enki.

• Options
    BulbaHuh.pngEn... Ki?

BulbaThinksYouWeird.png That's a weird name, guy. I mean, Enki.

• Options
    r4EkW.png Silence sits on the pair for what seems like hours.

"Slooow." I am a weird guy.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    The Eevee plants herself directly in the path of the last conscious Rattata as it tries to retreat.

veejoy.png

"Aaaaaaand where do you think you're going, mister?"

[Light Attack: Ice Fang [3, 5, 7] 5 + 7 + 2 = 14

The Rattata faints almost instantly, and the Eevee releases his unconscious form with a disgusted expression on her face.

veewince.png

"Oh man, even his head tasted like feet."

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    OObvF.gif He resurfaces for air, brushing off the limp form of the Rattata. There's a familiar taste of iron in his mouth as he treads to the pink makeshift ferry, though it isn't his particular brand.

AZZQR.gif Got roughed up pretty bad there friend, we'll have to get you patched up!

OObvF.gif He presses his hands to the wound, crimson running through his bandages to mix with water and pond muck.

AZZQR.gif Don't worry about it though pal, you'll come out with a wicked scar. Like this one here I got on my shoulder! Folks tend to think twice before they mess with someone with a nick like that.

• Options
    hm so i guess indents break color tags

bummer

• Options
    meowthpaws2.png: Alright! Take this! And this! And this! And especially this!

mysterynesssprite.png: Daryl sends a flurry of coins falling from his tree up above. The raticate flails wildly, swatting off coins left and right. Not spotting any more coins, the raticate begins to plan its next move...

when an empty bird's nest lands on its head.

As the raticate collapses, two large rocks roll out of the nest.

Payday: Automatic hit (super luck expended). Raticate takes 1 damage!

• Options
    Ge9sE.gif good job team, we beat the tuttorial

also another Voltage5.gif to rawk for an amusing killing stroke

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    KaboomJoy.png: Say, thanks for the save there, Meowth! That big ol' rat may not look like much, but he hits like a truck!

BroMiniAV.gif: Kaboom does an odd hopping motion which it becomes clear is his best means of locomotion, and he turns to face the feline.

KaboomNervous.png: I don't suppose you have a name, you know, besides Meowth?

• Options
    edited September 2011
    meowthcheer.png: Got him!

mysterynesssprite.png: Hearing the Pineco below, Daryl lazily walks off the branch, easily landing on all fours in the forest floor he falls upon.

meowthpaws.png: I'm Daryl, nice to meet you!

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Enki paddles out towards the middle of the pond at a measured, easy pace. The thing seems to be pretty small and shallow, perhaps 15 feet in diameter and 2 feet down at it's deepest point. The banks are steep, however, and muddy, making them a slippery hazard to those entering or leaving the pool. The Bulbasaur taps at the Slowpoke's side cautiously to get his attention.

BulbaThinksYouWeird.png Huh, it looks like those other guys are done beating those Rattata up.

BulbaHuh.png Can we, uh, head back to shore? I don't like this deep water. It's scary.

He says, gesturing back to where Rook is waving some soggy bandages.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    r4EkW.pngOther guys? Were there other guys? Enki only remembers Rattata. Well, if the Bulbasaur says all the Rats are down, then he should probably go back ashore.

Although the Slowpoke would admit to some curiosity about what lies on the other side of this pond.

"Slooow. Poke, poke." Do not be afraid. The water is an old friend of mine, it shall do us no harm.

Enki turns around and heads back to the group.

Shock G on
  • Options
    MarshGM2.png The Bulbasaur gets off Enki's back when the water is shallow enough, and limps up the bank to solid ground before letting Rook patch him up. He's lost a lot of blood and it looks like he'll need some stitches, but he'll be okay until he can get some rest and real medical attention.

BulbaPatchedUp.png You guys saved me... I don't know how to thank you enough.

• Options
    r4EkW.pngEnki wades out of the water, and then flops over onto his back.

He's just gonna, you know, hang out while he's looking at these not-Rattata.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    The Eevee self-consciously uses a paw to wipe the leftover blood from her face, and trots over to where the others are talking.

veesweatdrop.png

"Hey," she begins nervously, "Do...do any of you guys know where we are?"

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    MarshGrr.png That Eevee scares me a bit.

• Options
    It's not her you should be worried about.

: D