Options

That's BULLSHIT.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Black Face was used as a way for white people to portray and denigrate black stereotypes. It is a way for white people to perform minstrel shows which were acts specifically done by black people to cater to white views and tastes. It is an inherently racist and demeaning thing by its very nature. It is sometimes used now as a way of highlighting racism, not as a genre in and of itself. This was seen most recently in Tropic Thunder. The difference there is that the movie is self-aware of the taboo, and uses it as a mockery of RDJ's character, not as a mode of entertainment in and of itself. A recent subversion of black face was Chapelle doing white face in his comedy show a few years ago.

It is a tool of racism to demean and take away humanity. The whole idea of a minstrel show is to define an entire race in a certain way.

• Options
    also I just read through the wikipedia article and it doesn't say black face is anything other than a depiction of racial stereotypes anywhere. It's actually a pretty well documented summary of its use. No one has added Tropic Thunder yet, though.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Blash wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote:
    so wait are you saying that black people don't find blackface inherently offensive

From my field research growing up as a black male, yes, I have not met any black people off the top of my head who find blackface genuinely offensive.

I'm sure some out there do and I have already agreed that my opinion is "stupid and ironic."

Uh...did you actually walk up to them and ask straight up if they find it offensive? Because I don't see too many ways of inserting it into everyday conversation.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    blackface is racist if you use it to be racist

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    What other use is there for blackface?

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Man Black face makes me uncomfortable.

Even Tropic thunder was kinda uncomfortable.

But then that may be because I didn't like the movie.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    the blackface in Zoolander cracked me up

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote:

Polishing shoes.

• Options
    black face

is racist in its construction. that is the end of it.

It can be used as commentary on racism, in the same way that showing a lynching can be commentary on racism. It can be used ironically or subverted, but the act, at its core, is racist in nature. It is an inherently demeaning thing. There aren't any good sides to black face. There isn't anything salvageable. The only way to use it now is, again, either as part of a statement about race or to subvert it. If you just straight up did a minstrel act with white performers in black face (or even black performers in black face! which was highly popular in the 19th century!), it would still be wrong. It caricatures an entire race of people, and is demeaning in nature.

Standing by itself, there is no other way to use black face other than in a racist manner.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    for starters, you can use blackface to pretend to be a black person

you can also use a wig and a dress to pretend to be a woman

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote:
    Tonkka wrote:

Polishing shoes.

Oh my.

Chico, what is your opinion on blueface?

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote:
    ChicoBlue wrote:
    Tonkka wrote:

Polishing shoes.

Oh my.

I think it is very

very

erotic.

• Options
    Paladin wrote:

paladin are you serious.

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote:
    Tonkka wrote:
    ChicoBlue wrote:
    Tonkka wrote:

Polishing shoes.

Oh my.

I think it is very

very

erotic.

That makes two of us.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    all blue, no face

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Langly wrote:
    Paladin wrote:

paladin are you serious.

what do you think I'm thinking

cause I had no followup from there

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote:

Jazz Singer?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Tonkka wrote:

Jazz Singer?

?
    The+Jazz+Singer.+Neil+Diamond..jpg

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The blackface in Mad Men was so, so uncomfortable.

Roger, just... don't do that.

But the whole point of that show is to be swimming in self-aware political incorrectness.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote:
    Tonkka wrote:

Jazz Singer?

?
    The+Jazz+Singer.+Neil+Diamond..jpg

Al Jolson

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I know.

• Options
    Paladin wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    Paladin wrote:

paladin are you serious.

what do you think I'm thinking

cause I had no followup from there

Blackface is a specific term about co-opting another identity and portraying the most denigrating sort of stereotypes while doing it. The whole point is to lessen an entire group of people, that is the idea. It is impossible to divorce those things from the act because of its genesis.

Pretending to be a different race by depicting extreme stereotypes is racist. It just is.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote:
    The blackface in Mad Men was so, so uncomfortable.

Roger, just... don't do that.

But the whole point of that show is to be swimming in self-aware political incorrectness.

yes, I loved that episode, and any episode where the show is completely unapologetic about the time period. It's just like "yep, this is what people did back then. can you believe it?"

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    oh man, the littering scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roREnVhd_og

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    “You're all white people! If there is such a thing as a loving version of racism, you have found it.”

http://www.hulu.com/watch/309556/saturday-night-live-j-pop-talk-show

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote:

ahahahaha yes

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Blackface makes me pretty damn uncomfortable, few exceptions would include Tropic Thunder and this music video though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO9Lj0T93Xk&ob=av3e

• Options
    I wouldn't call that blackface, though. It has nothing to do with race and is just coincidental with the country's national color.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Are you guys saying I can't be Ashy Larry next halloween or what

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    this, on the other hand, is an example of horrible blackface use!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGH-4jQZRcc&ob=av2e

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Tonkka wrote: »

pointing out how racist using blackface is

but that's pretty much it

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yes, I'm aware that Blackface has a very specific and racist connotation for you, I was just sharing the fact that my own culture is blithely ignorant of such things and does not have exactly the same cultural baggage (although we have plenty of our own), and there fore we have subordinated the term to mean something different, although I suspect it will die out in the face of overwhelming cultural assimilation.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    No, I think it's just that your whole culture is super racist.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    you are all racist

all of you

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    it's african american face

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    you are all racist

all of you

What do you mean "all of you"

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote:

I don't think that's the same kind of blackface. I mean, if I, as a Panthers fan, paint myself all black and write "CAROLINA PANTHERS" on my body in blue/white, I'm not going to expect to be seen as racist.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Langly wrote: »
    this, on the other hand, is an example of horrible blackface use!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGH-4jQZRcc&ob=av2e

Oh christ this fucking video.

This discussion has been closed.