As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diablo III: Patch 1.07 preview up!

• Options
    MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Here is an interesting Reddit thread: D3 Timeline Compendium of Failure

The thread links to this bnet post. It lists all the things Blizzard fucked up in D3, with links to either relevant youtube vids or blue posts.

It's a very convenient list for those of us who enjoy citing things in arguments.

As far as the story goes, I always get irked by Kulle's comment about how the Angels took a vote on whether to eliminate all of mankind and only one vote saved it. Lucky that Tyreal is the aspect of justice as opposed to all the other unjust angels. Just seems like utter bollocks and is completely unnecessary to the story IMO. Grates me everytime.

Also - Twirly Monk = cheevos for less than 1 hour clears of Acts 1-3 without even trying on hell/inferno levels. Plus one SSS to insta-kill the butcher on Inferno = hilarious.

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    if my dh was to equip those gloves over my current ones with 9.5% crit, 44% cd, and 173 dex my dps would go down. and these gloves cost me like 2m or something. low ias numbers are pretty small damage increases and not worth 2-3% crit

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    damn it, i was going to log in and get a legendary... a good legendary this time

not like the last 137 legendaries i looted at all.

farkin 720 dps hellrack.. with socket

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Matz wrote: »
    Here is an interesting Reddit thread: D3 Timeline Compendium of Failure

The thread links to this bnet post. It lists all the things Blizzard fucked up in D3, with links to either relevant youtube vids or blue posts.

It's a very convenient list for those of us who enjoy citing things in arguments.

As far as the story goes, I always get irked by Kulle's comment about how the Angels took a vote on whether to eliminate all of mankind and only one vote saved it. Lucky that Tyreal is the aspect of justice as opposed to all the other unjust angels. Just seems like utter bollocks and is completely unnecessary to the story IMO. Grates me everytime.

Terrible story is terrible.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    There's so much wrong with the story but I think Act 2 is where the turd really stinks. Some simple fixes too, hell just have Hakan not appear in the Aquaducts and Kulles, less is more.

Kulle's one of the few interesting characters who we immediately stab in the back as soon as he tries to warn us too what's the deal with that?

Act 3 is the worst offender when it comes to set pieces though "SOLDIERS EXPLODING: THE EXPLOSIONING"

Also cutting all of Diablos rants from Act 4 would improve the story for that act. Less is more!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    Diablo 3 would IMMEDIATELY improve if they scraped all of the story, threw out the CG stuff and just replaced it with the Marius tales from D2, and made all the bosses SHUT UP

• Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    I was let down by the story by the complete lack of a "Diablo" ending. It doesn't even attempt to whet our appetite for an expansion or a continuation. The point of the Black Soulstone falling back to Sanctuary was not focused on whatsoever, and that by itself was pretty underwhelming. The clearest indication of the direction of the expansion is literally "Here We Go Again", because there are almost no loose ends leftover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwUgRP69dx8

There is nothing comparable to this in D3. It instead cut off on Tyrael assuming the highest position in the council, as if this portends anything beyond boring Council politics.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    If anyone turned up the volume of the music and turned down the volume of everything else, you would find that all the music is remixed Diablo 2 music.

Probably what pisses me off about the game the most.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Roe wrote: »
    If anyone turned up the volume of the music and turned down the volume of everything else, you would find that all the music is remixed Diablo 2 music.

Probably what pisses me off about the game the most.

...That's not true. I have the soundtrack and beyond using the same instruments (Tristram for example) to keep the same atmosphere, they're different arrangements, with a full orchestra.

I'll take issue with the development team and whatever else, but Russell Brower never did anything to me. :'(

Wydrion on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Wydrion wrote: »
    I was let down by the story by the complete lack of a "Diablo" ending. It doesn't even attempt to whet our appetite for an expansion or a continuation. The point of the Black Soulstone falling back to Sanctuary was not focused on whatsoever, and that by itself was pretty underwhelming. The clearest indication of the direction of the expansion is literally "Here We Go Again", because there are almost no loose ends leftover.

There is nothing comparable to this in D3. It instead cut off on Tyrael assuming the highest position in the council, as if this portends anything beyond boring Council politics.

What? No loose ends, seriously?

The ending spends like twenty seconds watching Diablo/The Soulstone fall from the High Heavens. I don't know what more of a focus you could ask for other than literally watching it land.

There is no resolution at all to Adria's plotline, and Imperius has gone goddamn insane and was ready to kill the player and Tyrael seconds before the final fight. They're both still alive and kicking.

I guess if you were hoping for Adria stooping over to pick up the Soulstone or something else to beat you over the head with then yeah, they don't do that I suppose. There is maybe some room to say that it was a little uncharacteristically optimistic for the setting, but there is hardly a lack of unresolved antagonists.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »

The ending spends like twenty seconds watching Diablo/The Soulstone fall from the High Heavens. I don't know what more of a focus you could ask for other than literally watching it land.

There is no resolution at all to Adria's plotline, and Imperius has gone goddamn insane and was ready to kill the player and Tyrael seconds before the final fight. They're both still alive and kicking.

I guess if you were hoping for Adria stooping over to pick up the Soulstone or something else to beat you over the head with then yeah, they don't do that I suppose.

I think the point is simply that it's a happy ending. The Diablo series has never had a happy ending before.

• Options
    edited January 2013

I guess if you were hoping for Adria stooping over to pick up the Soulstone or something else to beat you over the head with then yeah, they don't do that I suppose. There is maybe some room to say that it was a little uncharacteristically optimistic for the setting, but there is hardly a lack of unresolved antagonists.

Imperius, though he may have fought you (and concept art shows that he probably should have, probably something else they took out), is not an evil character. They might have him fight you for some reason, but it would be uncharacteristic for you to fight him as a matter of 'that has to happen' - he wanted to destroy Diablo himself before you showed up. Matter of pride/valor.

As for Diablo disintegrating for fifteen seconds, and then the 'clap of thunder' to be ominous about the Black Soulstone, just please remember that they completely made up this plot device for Diablo 3, when they had multiple loose ends left over even after the Lord of Destruction expansion. The thought of this brand-new plot device that up until this point had never been important enough to mention in the 3-4 games previous is going to be the only reason we have an expansion for Diablo 3 is kind of lame.

If they were going for 'you don't have to have played the games previous to enjoy this game's story', they achieved it, and they kicked that off by killing Deckard Cain in the first act to a butterfly witch thing.

Wydrion on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Zek wrote: »

I guess if you were hoping for Adria stooping over to pick up the Soulstone or something else to beat you over the head with then yeah, they don't do that I suppose.

I think the point is simply that it's a happy ending. The Diablo series has never had a happy ending before.

The worst part of the ending is that it ignores the lesson we've been taught by every Diablo game: You can't actually kill Diablo, ever. It needed some sort of twist. I agree that some lesser evil or another character ought to have picked up the fallen soulstone.

But that ending would have required that Blizzard knows where they are taking the franchise. And if there's one thing they have evidenced repeatedly since May it's that they have no fucking idea what the shit they are doing with this game.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »

The worst part of the ending is that it ignores the lesson we've been taught by every Diablo game: You can't actually kill Diablo, ever. It needed some sort of twist. I agree that some lesser evil or another character ought to have picked up the fallen soulstone.

But that ending would have required that Blizzard knows where they are taking the franchise. And if there's one thing they have evidenced repeatedly since May it's that they have no fucking idea what the shit they are doing with this game.

I think you've nailed it. That's what I've been trying to convey. _J_ for brain-elf 2013.

• Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    My hardcore barbarian just entered act 2 inferno and I can't wait to have enough gear to do act 3. He has 20.7K dps and I'd like to get 25K dps but mostly I need more defensive stats. My resists are 950 and armor 7K but my life is only 53K. I'd like mostly more life as I'm happy with my mitigation. I have a passive that gives me 2% of my HP per second which is awesome, my total life per second is 1500:). The only reason I need more dps for act 3 is for ghom's enrage timer and I don't want to kill things too slowly.

Oh and the hardcore auction house is not very active. There is activity, but my god it's hard to find very many items.

• Options
    RazzleDazzRazzleDazz Registered User regular
    I just finished ACT 2 with a HC Barb myself, though my stats are a lot lower. Something like 60k life, 17k dps, 750 resist on a good day. What is the best way to farm gear? I probably need to slow down before heading in to Act 3.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    So purple named mobs... I'm curious as to what exactly their purpose is (other than cheevos) it seems you could

a> add lore books around acts to at least make them interesting, have back story and provide some flavor
    b> unlisted quests related to followers or items
    c> unique loot tables, powers, maybe even dialog

right now outside of say ubers (and related key wardens), purple mobs are as chock full of disappoint as an inventory full of unidentified shields and quivers

• Options
    ZalinZalin Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Hello, Diablo thread!
    I've been on a Diablo spree and am wanting to make some Hellfire rings. Looking to party up for some efficiency/higher MP levels. Currently hunting keys in MP5 with my monk.
    Feel free to add Zalin#1999 in game if interested.

Zalin on
    Steam: Zalin Drelan | PSN: Aragorn566
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    sumwar wrote: »
    My hardcore barbarian just entered act 2 inferno and I can't wait to have enough gear to do act 3. He has 20.7K dps and I'd like to get 25K dps but mostly I need more defensive stats. My resists are 950 and armor 7K but my life is only 53K. I'd like mostly more life as I'm happy with my mitigation. I have a passive that gives me 2% of my HP per second which is awesome, my total life per second is 1500:). The only reason I need more dps for act 3 is for ghom's enrage timer and I don't want to kill things too slowly.

Oh and the hardcore auction house is not very active. There is activity, but my god it's hard to find very many items.

Holy shit are you paranoid. Man up and clear inferno. I had 19k dps, AFTER battlecry, 700ish res all, and about 53k hp, and I crushed ghom without getting anywhere near his enrage timer, and cleared act 4 with only a few close calls. And this is with a 2h, so I did not have the defensive bonuses of a shield.

Seriously, you are geared enough to have cleared ACT 4, before all the nerfs. Stop being paranoid and kill Diablo already. Pansy. :D

Edit* To add that I did this on a barb as well, so I know what I'm talking about.

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Expansion needs to be about Dirgest.
    Me and my bro Covetous adventuring and picking up chicks every day.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Ding paragon 40, almost have enough magic find that I'll have to slow down from all the legendaries dropping.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    It only took me 5 Act 2 runs to get a key this weekend. Only 15 more runs and I'll have to start doing other acts again.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    @TTODewback Find me in game, I need to return your Manticore to you!

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    I've been logging in every couple of days to repost that miserable Zuni Pox ring that just wouldn't sell, almost giving up on it, but it finally ended up selling for a mere $85. It was only the best rolled item I've ever found.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    sumwar wrote: »

If your life on hit is decent, you're more than ready for post-nerf Ghom. If not, you may still be ready.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Trying to gear up a cm wiz in hc to maybe do solo uber runs and it comes to my attention that I pretty much need EVERYTHING besides thorns, globes, radius. Even life regen is useful. I'm thinking of having like 2k life regen, 1k allres, 40k hp and I hope 60k dps before I tackle mp2.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    found plans for robes of rhylaedem. ah is telling me it's worth 14m

• Options
    and now I found a meh maticore because it has 1 socket, and a socketed chantodo with 1035 dps and max attack speed. making fat stacks today

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Ding paragon 40, almost have enough magic find that I'll have to slow down from all the legendaries dropping.

And what ridiculously low amount of hours /played for that?!

Also - what is your modified PL farming run with the monk?

Matz on
    2uenpg3.png

I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

And what ridiculously low amount of hours /played for that?!

Also - what is your modified PL farming run with the monk?

Just under 42 hours.

Start - Tower of the Cursed 1 checkpoint
    *Run left a bit to check for elite/shrine
    Zone to Arreat Crater 2, clear to waypoint
    WP to Keep Depths 1, zone to Depths 2
    Clear until you run into a dead end (7+ seconds of running to get to fresh mobs). Town portal.
    *WP to Stonefort, clear it. Town portal.
    WP to Rakkis Crossing. When you're about to zone into Fields of Slaughter, town portal, unless you have a good shrine** active, then clear FoS.

*These steps are suboptimal -- you can get much higher XP/hr by excising them from the run.
    ** Good shrines will vary by class. For a temple rush monk, pretty much just enlightened or fleeting counts. Fortune is nice, too.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Is there a general cutoff point people have for what they consider efficient farming where MP level is concerned? I mean, have people figured these numbers out or is this just something that varies player to player?

The reason I ask is because I can farm MP5 or MP6 okay, but I don't know if I'm wasting efficiency by doing so.

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    The most efficient level is almost always MP0 or MP1. You're almost certainly being less efficient at MP5.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    I play on MP0 with my monk, and MP1-2 with my witch doctor. Once you pass the point at which you're able to one-shot most enemies, it's more efficient to drop to a lower MP level. If pure, raw efficiency is your goal, then you want your clear speed to be constrained by your movement speed.

• Options
    it currently takes me 15 minutes on mp0 to do core-depths-battlefield to tower 1. I don't fully explore everything in crater 1 and keep 1 because it's got too many dead ends.

• Options
    Is there any way of narrowing down a Stone of Jordan search to just Monk ones or (even better) to a certain monk skill?

2uenpg3.png

• Options
    Is there any way of narrowing down a Stone of Jordan search to just Monk ones or (even better) to a certain monk skill?

Search for all armor with Spirit Regeneration and Bonus vs Elites 20%+. You're still stuck finding one with a good skill through all of them, sadly.

• Options
    Cheers! At least that will eliminate all the non-monk ones...

2uenpg3.png

• Options
    edited January 2013
    For what it's worth, it's extremely rare to find a tempest rush/sweeping winds SoJ under 10M. Assuming you're not looking for a budget ring, I'd recommend any of the following to narrow things down:

1. Set a minimum spirit regeneration threshhold. If you're looking for a ring that'll last up into the million billion gold range, you'll need somewhere around 1.8+ regen (ring/amulet/helm all need to combine for 6+ spirit regen). If not, basically any spirit regen ring will work just fine.
    2. Start with newest items. If anyone happened to put a really good ring up for cheaper than it should be, chances are it won't make it to 1D9H remaining unsold.
    3. After that, move to highest buyout and look down the list.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    The most efficient level is almost always MP0 or MP1. You're almost certainly being less efficient at MP5.

except I've never had any good drops on mp0 or 1. Bul-kathos, shenlongs, inna's...all mp3+ frostburns? schroders? mp0+1

• Options
    got 14m for my plans, 2.5m for my manticore, and 75m for my chantodo. high rolla incoming