Options

Game Grumps: And now back to your regularly scheduled Grumping, already in progress.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'll probably be unsubbing once Sonic '06 is finished. There's not even a good reason to stick with that because a sick compulsion to see that journey all the way through.

They rarely even talk about the game even more, although it's probably hard to think of new shit to discuss when the bulk of the second and third campaigns are recycled content.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    herojoe wrote: »

That... that interview is really painful to watch on many levels. I'm watching it as I type this post and it just... it keeps getting worse. The entire band seems to be completely miserable the whole interview. The other band members seem kind of reluctant to talk about their music (maybe they weren't prepared to actually talk themselves?). Even once Thornton starts actually talking about what he came on the show to talk about, he still seems reluctant to actually say much of anything about himself and music. I mean wh... why would you go on a radio show to promote yourself and not actually talk about your music? When the interviewer is focusing on music 90% of the interview? Arrrrgh. The interviewer probably could've done a better job of leading discussion, but I don't blame him for having trouble when nobody he's interviewing seems to want to talk much and the lead band member is blowing him off live on-air.
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    They rarely even talk about the game anymore, although it's probably hard to think of new shit to discuss when the bulk of the second and third campaigns are recycled content.

I'm just amazed that they seem to have mostly stopped having trouble with the game after Sonic's story, which again is probably part of why the commentary has gone off-course a bit. I don't remember Pokecapn and crew having an easy time of it in the other two main stories at all, so I'm actually pretty impressed by that! No bullshit deaths from random bugs usually means less game-related hilarity though.

Essee on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    To answer the question of why people who seem to hate it so much keep watching: the problem is that there are those flashes of brilliance where they'll have a really funny exchange, or actually have a genuine conversation, or start in on observational humor like they did in the early episodes. The problem is that there's no way to know where those parts are going to be without going through the whole video.

It's a bit like the Dragon Quest games. You have those five hours of level grinding for a five-minute cinematic, but damn it you have to know how the story ends.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I still enjoy Game Grumps as much as before, however I am just as bored with Sonic 06 as the grumps themselves. I will continue watching it though because it's too late to quit now!

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I quit! Jon talking about nuts and gay men in a recent episode was the last straw that snapped the dromedary's spine.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It's not just Sonic 2k6, it's... I dunno, when I first started watching Game Grumps with stuff like Goof Troop it was tremendous and hilarious. It was all about the games but they had competency at them, even when they were playing for the first time. For some reason, they've devolved into this shit where they easily give up on games going, "UGH THIS SUCKS NOT INTUITIVE WHAT DO I DO."

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Essee wrote: »
    herojoe wrote: »

That... that interview is really painful to watch on many levels. I'm watching it as I type this post and it just... it keeps getting worse. The entire band seems to be completely miserable the whole interview. The other band members seem kind of reluctant to talk about their music (maybe they weren't prepared to actually talk themselves?). Even once Thornton starts actually talking about what he came on the show to talk about, he still seems reluctant to actually say much of anything about himself and music. I mean wh... why would you go on a radio show to promote yourself and not actually talk about your music? When the interviewer is focusing on music 90% of the interview? Arrrrgh. The interviewer probably could've done a better job of leading discussion, but I don't blame him for having trouble when nobody he's interviewing seems to want to talk much and the lead band member is blowing him off live on-air.
    They rarely even talk about the game anymore, although it's probably hard to think of new shit to discuss when the bulk of the second and third campaigns are recycled content.

I'm just amazed that they seem to have mostly stopped having trouble with the game after Sonic's story, which again is probably part of why the commentary has gone off-course a bit. I don't remember Pokecapn and crew having an easy time of it in the other two main stories at all, so I'm actually pretty impressed by that! No bullshit deaths from random bugs usually means less game-related hilarity though.

Well, I see where Jon's coming from because Billy Bob Thornton is kind of well known as a douche to begin with. If you look around 4:34 at the computer screen, they're already prepared for the interview going completely sideways and they have another group lined up - and that was even before the five minute mark.

I think the other band members are kind of reacting to the mood there, Bobby was being a wanker right out of the gate, but the other band members were just kind of subduing themselves and hoping it passed. They're not going to call out their meal ticket on national radio.

I also think Billy Bob was bullshitting about the drummer thing because you can look up their band on Wikipedia, and the big god damned headline picture on the article is Billy Bob doing a vocal. I think he just didn't feel like doing anything so he chose a song that would let him fuck around.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "Don't mention I'm an actor" is just a douchebag thing to demand of people for an interview. Even if it was requested, it's like, okay, WHY.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Wow, so latest episode of MMX, Jon talks about being fascinated by the presence of black people. Welp. *unsubscribe*

Edit - I mean really, these two exemplify what it means to be a privileged, detached idiot, in many ways. I was ignoring it because they were being funny often and then that trailed off.

Henroid on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Jon is white, right? I mean...maybe half the country looking like you is why you don't feel like a minority most of the time?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    There is kind of a lack of black people in a lot of Videogames and Fantasy works.

• Options
    Maybe some day they'll see someone of Asian descent for the first time and can talk about that. Not that I'll be around for it.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Taya wrote: »
    I still enjoy Game Grumps as much as before, however I am just as bored with Sonic 06 as the grumps themselves. I will continue watching it though because it's too late to quit now!

I tried to stop watching grumps, but ITS NO USE!

Seriously though, I really hope we're not all watching them jump the shark in real-time. I think maybe its time they took a break, worked on their own stuff for a while like they constantly talk about doing, and come back in a couple of months once they've really thought hard about what is and isn't working, because they're becoming very hit-and-miss.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Jon is white, right? I mean...maybe half the country looking like you is why you don't feel like a minority most of the time?

Isn't he Persian

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

Isn't he Persian

I believe he's Persian

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Jon's from Texas, and I would assume there's some black folks there considering their proliferance here in Louisiana.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »

Isn't he Persian

I believe he's Persian

What matters is he has issues regarding other ethnicities.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Wow, so latest episode of MMX, Jon talks about being fascinated by the presence of black people. Welp. *unsubscribe*

Edit - I mean really, these two exemplify what it means to be a privileged, detached idiot, in many ways. I was ignoring it because they were being funny often and then that trailed off.

What's wrong with Jon acknowledging his privilege?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Jon's from Texas, and I would assume there's some black folks there considering their proliferance here in Louisiana.

I dunno, Texas has disappointed time and time again in fulfilling its own stereotype

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

I'm not sure how you got him being fascinated by the presence of black people out of what he said. What he said was that he wasn't used to being in an area that was predominantly one race.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Haven't watched the episode yet but Jon does seem to have a bit of a problem with racism. More than once he's been censored by Barry and its been implied that's what it was. He's not malicious about it, more just trying to be edgy and failing but still... not a good look, dude.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Haven't watched the episode yet but Jon does seem to have a bit of a problem with racism. More than once he's been censored by Barry and its been implied that's what it was. He's not malicious about it, more just trying to be edgy and failing but still... not a good look, dude.

I'd put a hole in that (JON STOP)... I'd put a cap in that (JON)...Put a hole in that (JON)

However that did give us the derailing joke, which was hilarious.

• Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    jokes what are they

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Oh my god, the latest Sonic video where they're talking about Billybob Thorton being a dick when he was interviewed by Jian Ghomeshi;
    Arin. Shut the fuck up. "I don't think you should make a judgement without seeing the video, but I'm going to do just that in the same sentence.[/paraphrase]". Like, he keeps saying he can't make a call on it without seeing the clip, and then he keeps fucking talking about it.
    Then he comes back, and is still kind of holding onto his stance.

How anyone could watch that video and not just think 'Billy Bob Thorton was acting like a complete dickhead' is beyond me. Arin keeps going on about how the interviewer (Jian Ghomeshi, a Canadian media personality who is one of the most chill people in the history of ever) was at fault too, and was trying to ambush him, etc. No. Just no.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I'm not sure how you got him being fascinated by the presence of black people out of what he said. What he said was that he wasn't used to being in an area that was predominantly one race.

Yeah, I think he was talking about how weird and interesting it was to feel like a minority. Of course he said it in a stupid way like they both always do with these topics.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    That wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. They were talking about how it felt weird to leave your personal bubble, that even seeing different color street signs can be strange.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I'm really liking the whole post 4 videos of one game then let it sit for a while thing they're doing now. Keeps things fresh.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It's great when they are talking about games that are full of odd content from the get-go, so they simply have to keep reacting rather than babbling on about whatever. Like Chu[heart]Lips right now - that looks fun. Also, they started playing Pocky & Rocky after (but probably not because) I harped on that in the comments, so I stay loyal.

But for the love of gosh darn, you should watch the latest AVGN focusing on the Toxic Crusaders franchise games. I am sorry about going off-topic (please don't talk about it here too much so the mods get mad at me, I am just recommending it) but it is a must-see. Trust me.

Edit: But do steer clear of the last minute or so of it.

Absalon on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I like AVGN videos. Despite his schtick, he knows a lot about video games and usually has some interesting insight into the history of the games he covers as well as reasonable explanations for bad or irritating gameplay.

But man, that Troma guy is awful. Just terrible. I got fed up and turned it off after five minutes.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    In case you've forgotten, Jon accidently set Pocky and Rocky to hard mode back in episode 4.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    In case you've forgotten, Jon accidently set Pocky and Rocky to hard mode back in episode 4.

AHAHAHAHAH!

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    turtleant wrote: »

AHAHAHAHAH!

Fucking really?! I hope they realize that.

edit - Watched it again. It sounds like Jon is stretching while he's talking, which makes me question if Arin did it maliciously on purpose to annoy Jon?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Arin: "Do you want to go again.... from the beginning?"

Yeah, it almost sounded like Arin did put it on hard on purpose, and is simply toying with Jon.

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    ChuLips has my fav "next time on Game Grumps" since Grep

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    The difference with AVGN is that (I haven't seen that latest video yet) his videos are pre-scripted, while the Grump videos are basically off-the-cuff. Both legitimate approaches, but you're going to end up with very different results. The AVGN also seemed to stop leaning as hard on his own schtick, and is definitely almost always better when he goes for informative over angry.

With the Grumps, while it's okay for their show to be a bit less researched and proficient, they do take that liberty too far occasionally.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    I guess I gotta be the guy to say it, if you're watching this show for anything other than watching two guys play games and bullshit whilst playing aforementioned games, you should probably find something else to watch.

Personally I agree with Arin especially on the whole telling off the audience about the whole, "PLAY THE GAMES BETTER GUYS!" thing. If you want to watch someone execute the perfect run on a game you like, cool there are like a bajillion of those videos out there. If you want to watch a video of someone giving straight up and rational critique of the game, there's avenues for that as well. If you're like me and just want to watch a couple of guys who are for the most part funny derp their way around games you may or may not be familiar with, this is really your only avenue.

I also kind of like their insistence on skipping cutscenes. I picked up Bayonetta after watching their videos on it and appreciated the fact that the content was fresh. Also, the game is pretty fucking tough and does a really poor job of explaining how you're supposed to achieve some of the things it wants you to do. Still a lot of fun, but I would have to say there are sections of the game I find un-intuitive. Like why is it sometimes I can't use Witch Time to save my life? Why am I sometimes unable to Dodge Offset? Why is it I'm fighting against the camera wanting to pan ALL THE TIME! But when those things aren't happening, fun game.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    When I move in with my best friend/second best friend in a month, we're going to be launching our own web series my bestie and I are going to be playing technically complicated games/survival horror games while completely smashed, called 'Game Drunks.'

Each episode will start with us addressing the camera with the game we will be playing, the liquor we will be drinking, and then have a SMASH(ed) CUT to when we're plastered about an hour later as we attempt to, say, solve Portal.

If it's a single player game, I'll be handing the reins over to my friend and yelling at him for not doing what I'm telling him to do, for maximum comedy.

Am I kidding?

Will it even launch?

We'll see. But we're seriously considering doing it.

This stemmed from a minute long clip that my friend Will took while I was drunkenly trying to coach my very drunk friend through one of the early puzzles of Silent Hill: Downpour, attempting to get him to plug in a toaster.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    I guess I gotta be the guy to say it, if you're watching this show for anything other than watching two guys play games and bullshit whilst playing aforementioned games, you should probably find something else to watch.

Personally I agree with Arin especially on the whole telling off the audience about the whole, "PLAY THE GAMES BETTER GUYS!" thing. If you want to watch someone execute the perfect run on a game you like, cool there are like a bajillion of those videos out there. If you want to watch a video of someone giving straight up and rational critique of the game, there's avenues for that as well. If you're like me and just want to watch a couple of guys who are for the most part funny derp their way around games you may or may not be familiar with, this is really your only avenue.

I also kind of like their insistence on skipping cutscenes. I picked up Bayonetta after watching their videos on it and appreciated the fact that the content was fresh. Also, the game is pretty fucking tough and does a really poor job of explaining how you're supposed to achieve some of the things it wants you to do. Still a lot of fun, but I would have to say there are sections of the game I find un-intuitive. Like why is it sometimes I can't use Witch Time to save my life? Why am I sometimes unable to Dodge Offset? Why is it I'm fighting against the camera wanting to pan ALL THE TIME! But when those things aren't happening, fun game.

I think what you're saying gets to the three reasons I stopped watching:

1) They are not funny.
    2) They don't understand games.
    3) They are really fucking stupid.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    The grumping in this thread kinda baffles me, but then I've never really been one to try to find fault with things. They still seem as funny to me as they've always been, and that's all I care about.

Watching Arin play MMX is a nice change of pace, though. He certainly remembers a whole lot more about that game than I do.

• Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    Why is it I'm fighting against the camera wanting to pan ALL THE TIME!

Oh god, fuck that shit.
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    I think what you're saying gets to the three reasons I stopped watching:

1) They are not funny.
    2) They don't understand games.
    3) They are really fucking stupid.

1) Sez you
    2) Who cares
    3) You're stupid

steam_sig-400.png
This discussion has been closed.