Options

Game Grumps: And now back to your regularly scheduled Grumping, already in progress.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I've never understood people who don't get that you can like something and still be critical of it. I'm not expecting the grumps to play every game perfectly, and I don't mind the conversation trailing away from the game when there's not much going on on screen. That said, sometimes they fail to pick up on things the games blatantly explain, and even criticize the games for non-existent problems because of that. When that happens, the videos tend to get less entertaining because of it.

It's a weird trend I've noticed with a lot of internet entertainers, where they'll have a few fans who get really hostile really quickly if you ever dare say a single negative thing, even if you're being mostly positive. It's really strange.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yeah seriously. I grump about some of the videos, but on the whole I still find the show very entertaining. MegaMan X and Gradius have been great pretty much 100% of the time.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Yeah seriously. I grump about some of the videos, but on the whole I still find the show very entertaining. MegaMan X and Gradius have been great pretty much 100% of the time.

Same here. Chulip has been completely hilarious so far, too! I'm loving it.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Yeah the latest Chulip is one of the best videos they've ever done.

The game being super bizarre is perfect, it forces them to pay attention to it.

I've also been enjoying the chronicle of absolute despair that is Pocky and Rocky.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Chulip is wonderful.

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    It's a weird trend I've noticed with a lot of internet entertainers, where they'll have a few fans who get really hostile really quickly if you ever dare say a single negative thing, even if you're being mostly positive. It's really strange.

That's not what's happening though?

• Options
    Adus wrote: »

That's not what's happening though?

It is, though?
    There are people in this thread, and especially in the comments on their videos, who do exactly that, who seem to take constructive criticism as a horrible insult.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nobody is expecting perfect gameplay. People are expecting them to actually pay attention to when the games tell them what to do.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Well I'm certainly not speaking for anyone who posts youtube comments. I was referring to this thread. I don't think that one guy on the last page should be an example of all the people in the thread not being critical.

• Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    'Twas just a bit of teasing. I mean no ill will. I don't give a hoot if you like gim gams or not.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Adus wrote: »
    Well I'm certainly not speaking for anyone who posts youtube comments. I was referring to this thread. I don't think that one guy on the last page should be an example of all the people in the thread not being critical.

It's certainly much worse elsewhere than it is here, and I don't mean to make an example of any one person here. It's just a strange trend I've noticed.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    Alazull wrote: »
    I guess I gotta be the guy to say it, if you're watching this show for anything other than watching two guys play games and bullshit whilst playing aforementioned games, you should probably find something else to watch.

Personally I agree with Arin especially on the whole telling off the audience about the whole, "PLAY THE GAMES BETTER GUYS!" thing. If you want to watch someone execute the perfect run on a game you like, cool there are like a bajillion of those videos out there. If you want to watch a video of someone giving straight up and rational critique of the game, there's avenues for that as well. If you're like me and just want to watch a couple of guys who are for the most part funny derp their way around games you may or may not be familiar with, this is really your only avenue.

I also kind of like their insistence on skipping cutscenes. I picked up Bayonetta after watching their videos on it and appreciated the fact that the content was fresh. Also, the game is pretty fucking tough and does a really poor job of explaining how you're supposed to achieve some of the things it wants you to do. Still a lot of fun, but I would have to say there are sections of the game I find un-intuitive. Like why is it sometimes I can't use Witch Time to save my life? Why am I sometimes unable to Dodge Offset? Why is it I'm fighting against the camera wanting to pan ALL THE TIME! But when those things aren't happening, fun game.

I think what you're saying gets to the three reasons I stopped watching:

1) They are not funny.
    2) They don't understand games.
    3) They are really fucking stupid.

It blows my mind that you and four people who agree with you are still lurking about in this thread. Go find something valuable to do with your time.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    I guess I gotta be the guy to say it, if you're watching this show for anything other than watching two guys play games and bullshit whilst playing aforementioned games, you should probably find something else to watch.

Personally I agree with Arin especially on the whole telling off the audience about the whole, "PLAY THE GAMES BETTER GUYS!" thing. If you want to watch someone execute the perfect run on a game you like, cool there are like a bajillion of those videos out there. If you want to watch a video of someone giving straight up and rational critique of the game, there's avenues for that as well. If you're like me and just want to watch a couple of guys who are for the most part funny derp their way around games you may or may not be familiar with, this is really your only avenue.

I also kind of like their insistence on skipping cutscenes. I picked up Bayonetta after watching their videos on it and appreciated the fact that the content was fresh. Also, the game is pretty fucking tough and does a really poor job of explaining how you're supposed to achieve some of the things it wants you to do. Still a lot of fun, but I would have to say there are sections of the game I find un-intuitive. Like why is it sometimes I can't use Witch Time to save my life? Why am I sometimes unable to Dodge Offset? Why is it I'm fighting against the camera wanting to pan ALL THE TIME! But when those things aren't happening, fun game.

1) They are not funny.

It blows my mind that you and four people who agree with you are still lurking about in this thread. Go find something valuable to do with your time.

Really?

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Zek wrote: »

1) They are not funny.

Really?

Yeah?

Why would you post in a thread about a show you hate, just to tell people you hate it? It's not constructive.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Jon lookin' good.
    Wish I could lose that much weight.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    I'll say it again...

I know that it's being better for him, health-wise...

...but I miss Fat Jon. :(
    He was like a huge teddy bear.

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »
    I'll say it again...

I know that it's being better for him, health-wise...

...but I miss Fat Jon. :(
    He was like a huge teddy bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c-3FQap7iw

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    "Barry is pooping."

We were this close to actually hearing what Barry sounds like. I guess this confirms that he's not just sat there glued to his recording equipment 100% of the time, I've often wondered what exactly it is he's doing in there. I didn't expect the answer to be "pooping". Also, Chulip is absolutely perfect for the Grumps format. Doesn't take that much attention and there's no time constraints so if they want to just go off on a tangent they can. Also its weird as hell, so they have plenty of opportunities to do so.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    They mention that funny moment in Sonic 06 they kept missing in Dog's Life, Jon says Barry had to show him so I guess they both stopped looking at the screen all 3 times it happened?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    They mention that funny moment in Sonic 06 they kept missing in Dog's Life, Jon says Barry had to show him so I guess they both stopped looking at the screen all 3 times it happened?

Yeah they have been off on huge tangents every time that scene came up. There is even a clip of that scene as a cold open to a different episode and they're still talking about something completely unrelated.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    Oh God, A Dog's Life. Eeeeuuuuugh.

I'm with Jon on that game, there is something seriously weird about the way those dogs' faces look.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It's worth looking up the final level/ending to Dog's Life, just to see how completely fucked up it becomes.

Aistan on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    today's episodes were pretty great

I think chu chu rocket was the most genuine fun/chaos/hilarity in a while

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Yesss I love Chu Chu Rocket!

Arin basically just freaks out for 10 minutes.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    The Chu Chu Rocket video was incredible. Cannot wait for more.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Wow that Chu Chu Rocket game looks ridiculous. I wonder if it's on Steam...

...Dreamcast? Wtf? Oh shit and mobile!?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    There's also a GBA version but I don't think it has multiplayer. The GBA one is mostly a puzzle game where you figure out how to get all the mice in the rocket without cats interfering. It's still pretty good.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    That was a fun episode of Grumps.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    This is the commercial Arin was talking about, by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga62uiXbEjI

I expect a voiceover with Arin doing the song any moment now.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I was expecting a Chu Chu Rocket commercial call out in that episode. Surprised it was the first things they said in the show!

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Taya wrote: »
    There's also a GBA version but I don't think it has multiplayer. The GBA one is mostly a puzzle game where you figure out how to get all the mice in the rocket without cats interfering. It's still pretty good.

It does have multiplayer, single-pak multiplayer, in fact. (I.E. Where one person with the game can download it to other GBAs)

It was one of my first GBA purchases.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options

It's from 2000...long before Steam was even a thing.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I mean Soul Reaver, Deus Ex, Sega Classics, etc...

I was just curious if they remade it and put it on there or not, because I think it would sell pretty well if it's as cult classic as people say it is.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    You can buy it for Android for a buck.

• Options
    The Chu Chu Rocket video was amazing. That game looks like insanity in digital form.
    Also, A Dog's Life was pretty hilarious.

• Options

I mean Soul Reaver, Deus Ex, Sega Classics, etc...

I was just curious if they remade it and put it on there or not, because I think it would sell pretty well if it's as cult classic as people say it is.

Right but Soul Reaver and Deus Ex both had PC versions at their original release...and I don't see Sega digging up 13-year old Dreamcast games (especially games that didn't sell particularly well in the first place, IIRC) to make PC ports randomly.
    Because someone will point it out, yes, I'm aware of the Dreamcast collection. Of the four games in that collection only Space Channel 5 Part 2 was newly ported to the PC...PC versions of the other games have existed for years now.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I was expecting a Chu Chu Rocket commercial call out in that episode. Surprised it was the first things they said in the show!

I was blown away. I watched that commercial so many times in computer class in high school, waiting for Dreamcast.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Newest Mario Party 8 Finale has a fantastic Barry moment.

KoopahTroopah on
This discussion has been closed.