As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Have I Ever Told You The Definition of Inanity? [FarCry3]

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    I wish a game would come out that treated silencers as they really are, rather than the hollywood un-reality that's become universal in all media.

well...the game basically does, though

miss a bunch of shots and enemies will hear you

The sounds that silencers make in modern media are nothing like a real suppressor. The amount of noise a gun makes can not be brought to that level

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I need to find a way to kill sharks, man

fuck sharks

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The Betman wrote: »

fuck sharks

Fast travel to the outpost north of Amanaki

go out on the dock with a good AR or a sniper

go underwater to spot some sharks

come out and whip out your camera, pointing it towards where the shark is

then shoot the shark

repeat x4

sig.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I've heard that action on one of those suppressed MP5's is louder than the discharge but that may well be nonsense

• Options
    Yes, that sounds like a good plan for some shark killin', will attempt when I get home

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I wish a game would come out that treated silencers as they really are, rather than the hollywood un-reality that's become universal in all media.

well...the game basically does, though

miss a bunch of shots and enemies will hear you

The sounds that silencers make in modern media are nothing like a real suppressor. The amount of noise a gun makes can not be brought to that level

right, but what I'm saying is, in film, suppressors are treated like they are absolutely silent

but in far cry 3, they are not

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I've heard that action on one of those suppressed MP5's is louder than the discharge but that may well be nonsense

I don't think that's entirely true, but it is true that the action on a gun is also loud and is never truly represented in media.

• Options

fuck sharks

get a boat, drive to sharks

pull out camera, find sharks near the surface

shoot with assault rifle until dead

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So how do silencers actually work

• Options
    edited December 2012

they don't.

edit: the amount of sound that they silence is enough (like simben mentioned) to basically shield a sniper from being pinpointed if there is enough ambient sound and he's far enough away, but the idea that a gun can be made to just go

phoot phoot phoot

is a hollywood idea that has become part of the cultural consciousness.

Langly on
  • Options

From what I understand they absorb some of the vibration from the detonation, making it go bang instead of BANG.

It doesn't make it go pvvt.

sig.gif
  • Options
    But I like the fake Hollywood silencer noise

Especially in No Country for Old Men

Shotgun silencer

That shit is terrifying

• Options
    From what I understand, it's the supersonic gas flying out of the barrel that makes most of the racket, a suppressor slows that gas down. Does nothing to quiet the supersonic bullet, so far as I know.

• Options
  • Options
    You can definitely tell it's quieter, but the difference is more like firing a gun with or without ear protection.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Fuck that

Reality sucks in this instance

• Options
    Thats just a 9mm too, a rifle bullet would be way worse

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I've actually fired a rifle with a suppressor that was almost completely silent. The big difference though was that it was firing subsonic bullets. Because they travel at a much slower velocity of supersonic bullets and don't break the sound barrier, it makes them a lot quieter.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    From what I understand, it's the supersonic gas flying out of the barrel that makes most of the racket, a suppressor slows that gas down. Does nothing to quiet the supersonic bullet, so far as I know.

the bullet itself is also supersonic and makes a small sonic boom, a lot of the noise is from this

depending on the round, a suppressed weapon with subsonic ammunition has its report lowered in volume by anywhere from 20-40 decibels

which means it's still going to be over a hundred

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    We must invent a silent gun.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Oh god there is a bear right outside the safehouse I'm in right now

Edit: There was a tiger out there too. I burned everything down.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    if you made a gun that used a large taut string to fire bullets I think it would be a lot quieter than using gunpowder
    of course you would need to change the bullets to be much longer
    and change the gun into a curved piece of wood

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    You can make guns pretty quiet, but yeah in general everyone in vicinity will hear a silenced shot.

But just like having to deal with a parachute on landing, reality isn't necessarily fun.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    Oh god this game damn near gave me a heart attack.

I had just assaulted an enemy base, blowing up their explosives supply and whatnot, no big deal. When I leave the building, I noticed that their reinforcements were busy too busy getting mauled by a tiger instead of aiming at me while I run across the base. Knowing that they were too preoccupied trying to kill the tiger, I decided it would be a great idea to swim across the river to make my escape. So, I ran to the dock and jump into the river

right into a crocodile's mouth.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    You know how you hunt sharks in shallow water? Get a jet ski and head straight for the nearest shark

then ram that shark

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    they help to dissipate some of the discharge bu tthey only reduce the sound from an average gun by about 10-20 decibels

and when a gun is around 120 or so decibels, it doesn't make a huge difference

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    they also force the sound to be more directionalized which can kinda help to mask it

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    monsterror wrote: »

I had just assaulted an enemy base, blowing up their explosives supply and whatnot, no big deal. When I leave the building, I noticed that their reinforcements were busy too busy getting mauled by a tiger instead of aiming at me while I run across the base. Knowing that they were too preoccupied trying to kill the tiger, I decided it would be a great idea to swim across the river to make my escape. So, I ran to the dock and jump into the river

Assuming this was a story mission, this is exactly where I encountered my first gator.

• Options
    rvrv Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    monsterror wrote: »

Assuming this was a story mission, this is exactly where I encountered my first gator.

Just did this mission. There was definitely a croc there for me as well. I saw him before I hit the supplies and filled him full of lead.

Also has anyone noticed that crocs just chill amongst lillypads and other floating green stuff? It also seems like you can't tag them with the camera/sights.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I had just finished a hunting mission where I had to put down a pack of rabid dogs. I leave that area once I'm done skinning them all and I hear more barking. Got to the top of a hill and I saw some dogs chasing down a goat, well I needed some goatskin for something so I whip out the shotgun and shoot it.

Momentum carried the body of the goat over the side of the road, off a steep drop into some water about 10 feet below. Dove down after it and start looking for the body. Water is all murky so I'm having some difficulty and out of nowhere a crocodile rolls up on me and grabs my arm. After a bit of wrasslin' the thing is dead and I have its skin as well as the goat that was in a shallow bit of water nearby.

There is a big cave with the river going through it and I find a small camp and some boxes in there. Get distracted by the sound of gunfire coming from far above me.

Is cool game

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    I will stop whatever it is I'm doing if I see a cave.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    You know how you hunt sharks in shallow water? Get a jet ski and head straight for the nearest shark

then ram that shark

Guys, guys

Havent' you ever been fishing in south america?

It's all about explosives.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Oh. Also: The AMR

I blew up a jeep with two shots from it.

Men fly backwards when I shoot them.

Tigers are polite enough to lay down and let me take their skin when I point it at them.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    SimBen wrote: »

fuck sharks

Fast travel to the outpost north of Amanaki

go out on the dock with a good AR or a sniper

go underwater to spot some sharks

come out and whip out your camera, pointing it towards where the shark is

then shoot the shark

repeat x4

nah

go to shark area

camera around to mark ones up at the surface

run them the fuck over with your jetski

edit: oh Art already covered this. n/m then

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Komodo dragons can go to hell. You can't see the bastards in the vegetation.

Also I hid in a bush for five minutes shitting myself from what turned out to be a giant tortoise.

And I love standing on the shore with my sniper, taking pot-shots at sharks. I truly feel like the dominant species.

Then I quickly swim over skin it and then swim back as fast as I can to shore making little girly screams all the way.

• Options
    I literally screamed the first time I got attacked by a gator.

Another time, went across a river to hunt down a pair of goats. As soon as I get out of the water and creep up on one, motherfuckin tiger leaps out and takes it out, then bites my god damned guts out. I jumped nearly out of ,y chair.

This game is amaaaaazing.

the hunting in this game is sooooo much better than in RDR or ACIII

I think the skinning is way better than RDR because it's, well, fast. But disagree about the general hunting. If felt like more of an actual hunter in RDR, even with its lock on, than in FC3. It's still really fun, but it feels a lot more artificial.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    finally back to my desktop computer, downloading this

is this a game for keyboard & mouse or controller

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I really like the controller. But I do for most games that support it these day 'cause I don't play my computer at a desk anymore.

The aiming and general first person controller movement doesn't feel as good as Borderlands 2, but it's still very good.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    I totally killed sharks!

• Options
    The sound they make when you run them over is so very satisfying

especially after they just wouldn't stop attacking you while you were trying to get that dang old shark emblem leave me alone goddammit shark I don't need your skins anymore