As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Have I Ever Told You The Definition of Inanity? [FarCry3]

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    it mostly bugs me that the bow is only truly silent on headshots

I switched it out for a sniper rifle and never looked back

I assumed it would be of some benefit on hunts, like it does more damage to animals or something

nope

no reason to ever use anything besides a gun unless they're forcing you to

Why would this bug you? A dude is sure as heck gonna scream and alert folks if he's got an arrow in his side

it doesn't bug me for reasons of verisimilitude

it bugs me for reasons of utility

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    So does that thing turn back into a regular XBOX or is that a permanent mod

That's the future of modern warfare, I guess. Which apparently looks like it was made to bludgeon enemies to death. So, yeah, a lot like the original XBOX.

The best/worst part is the designation it was given, which is a clear example of acronym torture. It's called the personnel halting and stimulation response rifle. Or PHASR for short.

Just how hard was it to stick "energy" before "rifle"? Do I have to go down there and name their guns for them? Jesus.

sig.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So that's what the giant green bulb on the Duke was for

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Man the future of modern warfare is suddenly exploding and/or piloting drones that suddenly explode people

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    So does that thing turn back into a regular XBOX or is that a permanent mod

That's the future of modern warfare, I guess. Which apparently looks like it was made to bludgeon enemies to death. So, yeah, a lot like the original XBOX.

The best/worst part is the designation it was given, which is a clear example of acronym torture. It's called the personnel halting and stimulation response rifle. Or PHASR for short.

Just how hard was it to stick "energy" before "rifle"? Do I have to go down there and name their guns for them? Jesus.

the problem is when pedants get involved

because someone probably suggested that, and then someone annoying piped in with "well it's not a rifle because there's no rifled barrel"

"okay fine energy gun"

"well no, because a gun has a bore diameter more than--"

"FUCK YOU, CARL"

• Options
    Yeah that guy's name was totally Carl.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Carl is the worst.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    he really is

• Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Tatau

Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau Tatau

Yes Dennis thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQGPwuHhkM

What I think of when I hear Tatau.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh man I just did the sweetest dive into water in this one spot holy shit

You all know the spot I'm talking about

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I really love that they populated the shit out of this world, and then made everything aggressive and deadly.

Fighting enemies everywhere is so much more fun in this than Far Cry 2 it is insane.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    @SimBen

Tell them to release a DLC pack

100 Radio Towers

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    This game just gave me major Tomb Raider 2 deja vu

• Options
    Vaas and story spoilers
    I don't know if I've already hit the spot where people say the plot goes bad, but I'm loving this game

Yes, it has the whole "white man saves the day" element, which I guess upsets some, even though it's an element in films that I really enjoy like Dances with Wolves and The Last Samurai

And I love how crazy supernatural it gets. When I picked up Far Cry 3, I did not expect a boss battle against a giant ink monster

As for Vaas, I really disagree that he was underutilized. We probably only think that because he's such a great character, but he actually features in the game more than I expected from what I heard going into it. The last fight against him is...odd, but I really liked the lead-up to it. Did anyone try pulling the trigger when the shoot prompt came up? I couldn't do it.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Is there a signature weapon for every class? I want a fancier bow

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Vaas and story spoilers
    I don't know if I've already hit the spot where people say the plot goes bad, but I'm loving this game

Yes, it has the whole "white man saves the day" element, which I guess upsets some, even though it's an element in films that I really enjoy like Dances with Wolves and The Last Samurai

And I love how crazy supernatural it gets. When I picked up Far Cry 3, I did not expect a boss battle against a giant ink monster

As for Vaas, I really disagree that he was underutilized. We probably only think that because he's such a great character, but he actually features in the game more than I expected from what I heard going into it. The last fight against him is...odd, but I really liked the lead-up to it. Did anyone try pulling the trigger when the shoot prompt came up? I couldn't do it.
    Pretty sure that If I'd done it before the "timer" I guess ran down it would have been the same but sooner.

But that is nonetheless a really interesting prompt, and It'd be rad to have some stats on how people reacted to it. I doubt it was built in such a way to allow that though, which is a pity.

It really made me think, afterwards "Why didn't I pull the trigger" which is not something I've ever asked myself after a seemingly arbitrary button prompt.

And yeah, I can definitely understand people wanting more of Vaas and thus saying he was underused, but I think that people wanting more is a sign that something/someone was used just enough.

He didn't overstay his welcome, and remained unpredictable/weird/surprising/scary every time you interacted.

@SimBen opinions?

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    SwissLion wrote: »
    Vaas and story spoilers

Pretty sure that If I'd done it before the "timer" I guess ran down it would have been the same but sooner.

But that is nonetheless a really interesting prompt, and It'd be rad to have some stats on how people reacted to it. I doubt it was built in such a way to allow that though, which is a pity.

It really made me think, afterwards "Why didn't I pull the trigger" which is not something I've ever asked myself after a seemingly arbitrary button prompt.

And yeah, I can definitely understand people wanting more of Vaas and thus saying he was underused, but I think that people wanting more is a sign that something/someone was used just enough.

He didn't overstay his welcome, and remained unpredictable/weird/surprising/scary every time you interacted.

@SimBen opinions?
    I am pleased with knowing you both couldn't pull the trigger.

Pulling it does the same thing. You shoot him and it flashes you to the part with all the Vaases rushing you.

sig.gif
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Man, I was loving the stealth in this game until
    After Vaas is dead, when you have to sneak into the cave. This is AWFUL

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    No way man, I ended up shooting Vaas in the goddamn face even though I love him as a villain

probably why I did it? he's a better villain for me this year than Handsome Jack was and I NEVER thought that would happen.

Enjoying the hell out of knife throw takedowns

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Yeah I just got to that part
    The whole final confrontation with Vaas is....bad.

Like...really bad.

I appreciate the whole "shoot me motherfucker" part but the weight of the whole thing wasn't there. Maybe it was because it came out of nowhere, maybe because I was in fucking TV land after getting stabbed in the goddamn heart.

It just really further cemented my opinion that the story is shit and underutilized. It could have been so much more.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I kind of lost respect for Vaas as the story progressed. Probably because (first island spoilers
    He keeps doing stupid Bond-villain stuff. After the initial escape, he gets his hands on Jason 3 separate times, and every time but the last he doesn't make sure Jason is dead. Burning building, escape. Drowning, escape. Finally shoots him, in the chest. Doesn't make sure he's dead.

Ending
    i picked the save your friends route because I didn't want to cut an innocent girls throat. Saw the other ending on YouTube and I'm convinced I made the right choice. Other ending would have pissed me off.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    new favorite thing is clearing out outposts from across a river with a telescoping and silenced sniper rifle

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Man that scripted driving section when you find
    Liza
    is so bad.

"Stop jerking the wheel, you're making me miss!"

I never missed once, game. Pay attention.

• Options
    Falx wrote: »
    Man that scripted driving section when you find
    Liza
    is so bad.

"Stop jerking the wheel, you're making me miss!"

I never missed once, game. Pay attention.

Yeah, this stuff just happens

There's a mission where a guy asks if I was bitten by a rabid dog I was supposed to kill and Jason responded "no"

But I totally was

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Maybe Jason just likes making people feel bad/deceiving them.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Guys my first tiger encounter happened

in the middle of a rainstorm

it leapt upon me against a backdrop of lightning flashes and, as thunder pealed across the sky, ROARED

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    I've started hunting with the flamethrower.

There may be something wrong with me.

• Options
    Did a hunting mission where I had to take down leopards with a flamethrower. I was down to 1 left, he was next to a lake with a dock. I went to set the dock on fire, and instead of giving me the satisfaction of that kill, the leopard jumps into the water and literally commits suicide.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    the saddest leopard

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    so has peta gotten mad about this game yet

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    He thought he could hide from you, but that leopard was spotted.

• Options

They shouldn't. You're killing people and getting valuables from them too.

• Options

I told a dog-loving friend about this new game wherein I "had no gear so I had to shoot a dog with a flare gun"

• Options
    "I didn't even need its skin. Honestly, I'm the one who provoked him."

• Options
    Just finished the game
    I had no attachment to any of my friends, and I never pick the 'bad guy' ending in games, so I was like FUCK IT and killed everyone off.

and then I died? Just. Ugh. I don't feel good about that. But I just watched the other ending on youtube and I don't feel good about that either!

The game is exceptional. Just wish that plot would've gone another way, sort of?

• Options
    that being said, I have NO IDEA where else it would have gone, so

• Options
    @SimBen

I completed your tropical island game and got all the radio towers and outposts

How is it that your game lacked a single Lost reference when it was so ripe for it?

Just Cause 2 had it, Singularity had it, fuck even Arkham City snuck one in there

How did you fail me

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Wait what

Arkham city?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SimBen

I completed your tropical island game and got all the radio towers and outposts

How is it that your game lacked a single Lost reference when it was so ripe for it?

Just Cause 2 had it, Singularity had it, fuck even Arkham City snuck one in there

How did you fail me

also diablo 3