As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Have I Ever Told You The Definition of Inanity? [FarCry3]

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I am shocked, nearly every time I play, at how much I'm digging this game.

This wasn't on my radar at all, and it's knocking my proverbial socks off.

• Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    @SimBen

I completed your tropical island game and got all the radio towers and outposts

How is it that your game lacked a single Lost reference when it was so ripe for it?

Just Cause 2 had it, Singularity had it, fuck even Arkham City snuck one in there

How did you fail me

I could have sworn that I maybe heard one once?

I may just be thinking of the SEVERAL Jurassic Park references, which helps me forgive them.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    There is a side quest where you go investigate a plane crash...

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    SwissLion wrote: »
    @SimBen

How is it that your game lacked a single Lost reference when it was so ripe for it?

Just Cause 2 had it, Singularity had it, fuck even Arkham City snuck one in there

How did you fail me

I may just be thinking of the SEVERAL Jurassic Park references, which helps me forgive them.

Cassowaries are literally Velociraptors.

When I'm in an area they're in I stay the hell out of the long grass.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Wait what

Arkham city?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djObhrSXv90

SPOILERS for the ending of Lost

Fun fact: This video was taken by me, and I was the first to post the reference on Youtube. And then Damon Lindelof tweeted about it. I was ecstatic

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    I am shocked, nearly every time I play, at how much I'm digging this game.

This wasn't on my radar at all, and it's knocking my proverbial socks off.

I realized that just a subset of this game, that is taking outposts, is enough to make it my Game of the Year based on the strength of it alone

Taking out an entire camp from a hundred yards away with a sniper rifle and constantly switching cover positions as they try to decide where sniper fire is coming from? Easily the most exhilarating gameplay experience I've had all year

Hell, one of the few gameplay experiences I'd ever use the term "exhilarating" to describe

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Falx wrote: »
    SwissLion wrote: »
    @SimBen

How did you fail me

Cassowaries are literally Velociraptors.

When I'm in an area they're in I stay the hell out of the long grass.

I'm ashamed to say that my first impression of cassowaries was "oh hey, look at the big blue ostrich"

My second was indeed velociraptor. Specifically, "AHHHHHHH!"

• Options
    Cassowaries were never an issue for me, and even when they're caged in outposts they seem to be killed easily by the guards before they even do any damage

I'm basically that little kid from the beginning of Jurassic Park

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Now that's a distinction I would like.

Instead I'm the guy who swam to cassowary island with an AK and 30 rounds.

My early game decisions are not things I'm proud of.

Jacques L'Homme on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Wait what

Arkham city?

Fun fact: This video was taken by me, and I was the first to post the reference on Youtube. And then Damon Lindelof tweeted about it. I was ecstatic
    ooooooh yeah I remember this now

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    @SimBen

How did you fail me
    One of the rooms in one of the Chinese mine missions is shaped like the DHARMA Initiative logo.

Yeah I know it's also a traditional Buddhist symbol but that should still totally count.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Lost references are dumb

that show is so old and nobody cares anymore

GET OVER IT

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Also (references)
    One of the preorder bonus missions has references to Assassin's Creed, BioShock and Honey I Shrunk The Kids in it. The other one has a Portal reference.

And in both of those and the uPlay bonus mission, you investigate pretty damn DHARMA-like facilities, even though they're not explicit Lost references.

sig.gif
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Wait what

Arkham city?

Also, the Joker's thugs have a random ambient dialogue where one of them says something like "did they ever even explain what the island was?"

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Simben this game is real fun

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Lost references are dumb

GET OVER IT

Kuribo's Shoes are 22 years old and nobody cares anymore

GET OVER IT

(Also that show only ended two years ago)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    I didn't catch any of those listed references in the Monkey See Monkey Boom missions, Ben

• Options
    Lost references are dumb

GET OVER IT

Kuribo's Shoes are 22 years old and nobody cares anymore

GET OVER IT

I still care about Kuribo's Shoe.

5-3 best level

sig.gif
  • Options
    I didn't catch any of those listed references in the Monkey See Monkey Boom missions, Ben

The other extra missions pack. They're retailer-specific.

sig.gif
  • Options
    By the by

3 out of those 4 monkey missions are awful

The last one is pretty cool though

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    So are enemies infinite spawn in this game? They just keep coming while I'm hunting boar

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    So are enemies infinite spawn in this game? They just keep coming while I'm hunting boar

Yup, until you liberate the outposts in that area.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Well shit.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    Liberating the outposts is pretty much the first thing you should do on a new map sector after unlocking the radio tower.

It's also damn fun.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Radio towers are fun as shit

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Are the outposts marked on the map. I suppose I should look at the legend.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    Yes they are the flags

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I uh

liberated the whole north island before I met citra

• Options
    Are the outposts marked on the map. I suppose I should look at the legend.

Yes. Little red flags.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I kinda left the second island alone just so I could always have guys to shoot.

I liked in Far Cry 2 dudes would respawn all the time so I could fuck them up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think this is the first shooter ever where I finished it and it gave me a legitimate challenge but I'm just like

Yeah I wanna run through this on hard mode now

I saved most of my side mission stuff for after the end before, I'm guessing I'll take care of that stuff first now

• Options
    Whoops there go 10 outposts

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    One of the side quest givers just gave the oddest 30 Rock reference

• Options
    Without giving spoilers are you able to finish sidequests after you beat the game?

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Yeah

You can do everything post-game that you could during the course of the game

EXCEPT

There's a relic that only be retrieved during a certain window in the story
    In the cave that you take your friends to near Earnhardt's place, inspect the cave and do some platforming and you'll find the Spider 1 relic

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    I only have three radio towers left in the whole game. I'm honestly kind of sad.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Unless of course you go back and play through again on a higher difficulty...

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    So... the PA Report has a story up about the Far Cry 3 writer and how he feels that the people playing the game are too stupid to really get the storyline in FC3.

A gambit that usually works out great.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Maybe they shouldnt have hid such an apparently important piece of the puzzle in the ending most people aren't going to choose/see then.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Part of the problem could be that while some players might recognize Alice in Wonderland, very few will have actually read the book. He's right about people not getting the point, because he hid it too well.

He complains about people not getting that the story is a parody of white colonialism, rather than the whie colonialism itself. I give them credit for getting that far; depth in a story is not something gamers are accustomed to.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades