As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War Thunder: WW2 Aviation Game (WoWP competitor)

• Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    Ok, we've all seen the new ammo racks in the new update.
    However, I'm still pretty unclear about how they are implemented. So, do we have to pay for ammo once for the initial unlock? Pay for the ammo every time we launch a plane? Pay for the ammo when we change ammotype (every time you pick another ammotype you pay for the new install, but if you leave that install as it is, you get to take it into every game at not additional cost)? The game doesn't to the best job to explain how and when we pay for stuff.

bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Avynte wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Mouse is pretty much the way to go for arcade.

I came into it thinking that joystick would be the way to go after countless hours flying in WWIIOnline, but for as simple as arcade is mouse just offers you so much more precise control. The last patch made arcade much less UFO, but it's still good fun for just to fly around and ratatatat. Not to mention BnZ is more viable.

I haven't spent any time in historical or simulation, but apparently that's where joystick thrives.

I literally could not even fly in a straight line with the mouse, the plane just wallows around. Couldn't even get through the first tutorial mission.

Do you have your sensitivity cranked up way up?

Flying a biplane around is slow enough to pretty much to score mad cockpit-shots left and right. I've only had major issues when I crank down on the keyboard for rudder or elevator.

My sensitivity is whatever the default is when you switch to the keyboard and mouse control scheme I guess, I didn't adjust it.

And the tutorial mission has you in a Yak-9, I wouldn't know if a biplane is any more tolerable but I don't intend to spend all my time in the game flying biplanes.

Have you looked at your connection?

It's not a lag issue. There is no stuttering or poor performance. The plane just literally meanders back and forth. It's impossible to even keep the wings level.
    Lowlander wrote: »
    The solution is to get to learn to use the A/D keys to manually force roll and your W/S to manually force pitch. If you want to do a loop or an immelman with your mouse alone, it's not going to happen. What you have to do is hold down your S key to nose up, and when you're upside-down and parallel with the ground, let go of your S key and hold your A or D key until your plane is right side up. If you want to turn right sharply don't just point your mouse, bank with A/D as you turn.

I agree that the flight control is sub-optimal with kbam, but the precision you get is going to be way better than with a joystick once you get used to it.

No offense to anybody but...if this is really the case I'm very glad you told me now so I don't waste any further time/money on this game. A flight sim, even an arcade-style one, where keyboard and mouse gives more precise control than a joystick, is not a flight sim I am interested in. If other people enjoy it, terrific, more power to them. After making Microsoft Flight Simulator and Combat Flight Simulator my life's primary pastime from roughly the ages of 13 to 18, I will just never be able to have fun with this game if that's the way it is. I couldn't force myself to get used to it.

Oh well. Thanks for the advice, folks. Have fun, sincerely. I just have to accept that the flight simulation genre as I knew and loved it is well and truly dead.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Wait, how do you get free gold eagles for having Wings of Prey?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Oh well. Thanks for the advice, folks. Have fun, sincerely. I just have to accept that the flight simulation genre as I knew and loved it is well and truly dead.

Fucks sake, dude. Way to be obnoxiously dramatic

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options

Fucks sake, dude.

Should I have added something about Microsoft Flight being the equivalent of digging up the corpse and shitting on it? :P

OK, in all seriousness, sorry for being a sour-puss. I hope you guys have tons of fun with your game about old-timey planes that go pew-pew because I love old timey planes that go pew-pew, I just don't think I can love this game. But that's on me.

• Options
    Look dude, KBAM is just more sensetive. If you could fly a real airplane with KBAM and not have to worry about a weight on a wire bouncing around a cockpit full of sensetive equipment, maybe it's something people would work on. I imagine you sound like some older pilot throwing a fit that you don't have 1:1 direct flight control in an F-22. "If I can't directly control this plane, it's worthless."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Look dude, KBAM is just more sensetive. If you could fly a real airplane with KBAM and not have to worry about a weight on a wire bouncing around a cockpit full of sensetive equipment, maybe it's something people would work on. I imagine you sound like some older pilot throwing a fit that you don't have 1:1 direct flight control in an F-22. "If I can't directly control this plane, it's worthless."

Look man, I don't want to have an argument over which control scheme is "better" based on whatever criteria (and I think the fly-by-wire comparison is sort of irrelevant, if ironic, when we're talking about a computer game which translates input of whichever device to control movements in a simulated plane either way :P).

The joystick is how I learned flightsims, it's how I spent years playing and enjoying flightsims, and because it's a much closer replication of how a real aircraft is controlled, it puts me more in the experience and helps me have more fun. Playing a flight sim with a keyboard and mouse is just something I could never get used to or learn to enjoy.

If it were possible, the ideal thing would obviously be a game where all possible control device setups were equally viable. But it's probably not possible, one particular scheme is always going to edge out the others depending on the game. And since I tried playing this particular game with KBAM and it felt like trying to drive my car with my feet while standing on my head and also one or both tie rods seem to be broken, and I'm being told that this is actually the preferred and superior control scheme in this game, I don't think the game is for me.

It's like...if I spent my whole childhood playing platformers with a gamepad, and this great new platformer comes out but the best way to play it is with a motion controller and you can play with a gamepad but it's kinda shitty. OK, that's fine, but that game is not a platformer I will enjoy. That's all I'm saying. Not trying to start a fight or rain on you guy's parade. I'm out.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    My childhood consisted of Falcon 3.0 and Janes' sims (and X-wing).

There was a period where I would play everything with a joystick. I think I did a playthrough of Jedi Knight 2 with one, once.

I seem to be enjoying this just fine.

• Options
    My childhood consisted of Falcon 3.0 and Janes' sims (and X-wing).

There was a period where I would play everything with a joystick. I think I did a playthrough of Jedi Knight 2 with one, once.

I seem to be enjoying this just fine.

OK, great, I'm happy for you. But you're not me. All I said is I don't think this is the game for me. I didn't tell anybody else they shouldn't play and enjoy it; I explicitly said the opposite. People don't need to take it as an attack. :) I know you guys probably think I am missing out on your great game for a silly goose reason, but I have plenty of other games to play and this one will never be what I was hoping it would be when it started getting buzz around here. You guys, though, you guys have fun, keep tearin' shit up. I will enjoy your pretty pictures in the screenshots thread, at the very least.

OK, for real, I'm done now, I'm truly sorry if I annoyed anyone.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    well I can certainly see how it can be off-putting if you are very much used to one way of controlling. just like Guild Wars was very weird for me at first after years and years of DAoC. which way controls "better" is really pointless, the point is having fun.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Man, I ain't taking it as an attack, you're just being kinda wierd about justifying your dislike of this game.

I mean had you left it at "I dislike this because I prefer using a joystick" it'd have been one thing but then there's the line about the death of the flight sim genre and a segue into what you played in your childhood and I'm like

dude

seriously?

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I played this for a while, and I fully admit I'm not very good, but it seems way too much pay/play to win. When a bigass bomber can take shots from me like they're nothing and their tailgunner can literally knock me out in one hit, it's just not really motivation to keep playing.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Man, I ain't taking it as an attack, you're just being kinda wierd about justifying your dislike of this game.

I mean had you left it at "I dislike this because I prefer using a joystick" it'd have been one thing but then there's the line about the death of the flight sim genre and a segue into what you played in your childhood and I'm like

dude

seriously?

Keep pullin' me back in... :P

The flight sim genre being dead seems pretty self-evident, I think. I mean, arguably even space sims are going through more of a resurgence right now, and there used to practically be a picture of a Wing Commander box next to the entry for "Dead Genre" in the dictionary. Go back to the heyday of the 90's or even the early 2000's when you had a new installment of Flight Simulator and CFS every couple years, all the Jane's games, etc...and compare that to what there is now. What's still on the market? I guess you can still buy Flight Simulator X, which came out six and a half years ago. Lock-On is still getting new content updates, so that's cool. And that's about it, aside from F2P stuff like War Thunder and WoWP, which seem to be aiming at a whole different audience. I guess this is really a subject for a whole different thread, though.

As for my "childhood": What I was trying to say was that because that flight sims were basically the very first video or computer games of any kind I played, and because playing them was one of the primary hobbies of my adolescent years, the experience, formative experience I guess you'd say, of spending so much time playing them back then ingrained playing a certain way in me to the point it would be very hard for me to adapt or muster any desire to. That was in response to people trying to tell me that the KB+M was "better" than a joystick anyway...and I was saying, it's not about which one is "better," it's that what may be "better" objectively (if there was any way to objectively determine such a thing) is probably never going to be "better" for me personally. Wasn't trying to make nostalgic storytimes just for the heck of it, sorry if it came across that way. :P

• Options
    rule number one of Flight Club: ignore bombers in the beginning, they will wreck you especially one versus one or if you just happily fly along behind them to keep the crosshairs on them the easiest.

like one guy said ingame (and let's not argue historic accuracy here) "if bombers were that easy to shoot down the Germans would have won the war"

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Well they kinda were.

That's why they either flew in tight formations or in the dark.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    Well they kinda were.

That's why they either flew in tight formations or in the dark.

I would imagine that they probably figured making individual bombers tougher and more dangerous would be wise for the sake of game balance, though, since bombers are very unlikely to have the benefit of huge defensive formations and such in a game like this.

• Options
    let's not go there :D as far as the game is concerned at least early tier bombers are tough summabitches

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The problem is that I don't like the idea of using historical accuracy as a justification for making the game grossly imbalanced.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    HmudaHmuda "What other game lets you kill a Giant Spider and use its body to make soap?" - Dwarf Fortress Registered User regular
    Joril wrote: »
    However, I'm still pretty unclear about how they are implemented. So, do we have to pay for ammo once for the initial unlock? Pay for the ammo every time we launch a plane? Pay for the ammo when we change ammotype (every time you pick another ammotype you pay for the new install, but if you leave that install as it is, you get to take it into every game at not additional cost)? The game doesn't to the best job to explain how and when we pay for stuff.
    You only pay for ammo racks once when you unlock them.

But if in doubt, just disable auto rearm and check the arming window after a match.

Space Engine videos with appropriate music. Enjoy. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hmuda
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I've tried KBAM myself and found it extremely disorienting. It's possible I just suck--I've actually played a few flight arcade games with a mouse that were...doable. This one not so much, but it might demand adjustment.

Honestly, I can't help but feel using my HOTAS is crucial to my enjoyment, even if I'm handicapping myself in the process....

• Options
    Hmuda wrote: »
    Joril wrote: »
    You only pay for ammo racks once when you unlock them.

But if in doubt, just disable auto rearm and check the arming window after a match.

I was worried about this myself. Hmuda is correct though, you don't pay those fees every time you re-arm.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I've tried KBAM myself and found it extremely disorienting. It's possible I just suck--I've actually played a few flight arcade games with a mouse that were...doable. This one not so much, but it might demand adjustment.

Honestly, I can't help but feel using my HOTAS is crucial to my enjoyment, even if I'm handicapping myself in the process....

One of the biggest hurdles for me to get over was that with a mouse I'm not controlling the plane per se. Just a cursor that happens to have a plane attached by a string. Said plane will then try to maneuver itself wherever you're pointing using a variety of control surfaces. The idea of 'dragging' a plane around the sky is downright weird, but it works well enough. Once you get that down, then manual control through the keyboard can really augment your maneuvers and eek out performance the regular mouse movements alone won't get.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

One of the biggest hurdles for me to get over was that with a mouse I'm not controlling the plane per se. Just a cursor that happens to have a plane attached by a string. Said plane will then try to maneuver itself wherever you're pointing using a variety of control surfaces. The idea of 'dragging' a plane around the sky is downright weird, but it works well enough. Once you get that down, then manual control through the keyboard can really augment your maneuvers and eek out performance the regular mouse movements alone won't get.

I know that's how it works, but it doesn't help that moving a mouse around just isn't as much fun for me when controlling a plane. Part of flight simulation has always been the tactile experience, if that makes any sense. I have no doubt guys who have mastered KBAM are shooting circles around me online. At least, they'd probably still be doing that if I switched over.

• Options
    hmmm, I am thinking about staying in tier1 with my Russian planes. that Chaika is a beast.

• Options
    scherbchen wrote: »
    hmmm, I am thinking about staying in tier1 with my Russian planes. that Chaika is a beast.

I've heard putting incendiary ammo on them is some sort of war crime.

• Options
    well I look forward to that :D not that I would ever do such a thing.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    welp, I gotta revise my opinion of the P39.

it does two things really well. fire 8 6 machine guns and fly straight.

been having a lot of fun with the Brits lately. that Hurricane Mk II gets rockets! (full disclosure the US Hellcat also gets rockets, don't sue me) you can yell cheesy lines when you fire them.

on an unrelated note I am currently looking for cheesy lines to yell while firing rockets.

scherbchen on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I really find this game clunky using mouse controls. Is this because I'm just not used to realistic controls or am I missing something? (using arrow keys with the mouse seems to just make the plane look really awkward).

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    well that is just the thing with non-analogue input. you [Rob Lowe] literally [/Rob Lowe] jank the joystick from being in the default position to the left/right extreme. you'll still want it in arcade battles as you will not be able to easily keep your target in firing position if he is using them and you are not.

also Immelmanns!

• Options
    sigh. this would be such an awesome game with a couple of guys on vent. damn Star Command Conflict guys playing the wrong game sappin' our guys.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Looks like the newest patch made Japanese fighters very hard to roll properly. Which sucks, given their entire purpose is turn fighters.

The flying boat repair cost change is welcome, but not really enough. I might be biased after having been rammed twice yesterday (one friendly, one enemy) before finishing my first bombing run. 14,000 lions, straight-up gone. Not fun.

Maybe I should ditch Japanese and just go German or Brit. Or suck it up and go Russian to fly some UFOs.

• Options
    sigh. this would be such an awesome game with a couple of guys on vent. damn Star Command Conflict guys playing the wrong game sappin' our guys.
    I tried that game. I just don't see the draw. The flying/shooting is very unintuitive I think. Doesn't feel right to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Suriko wrote: »
    Looks like the newest patch made Japanese fighters very hard to roll properly. Which sucks, given their entire purpose is turn fighters.

The flying boat repair cost change is welcome, but not really enough. I might be biased after having been rammed twice yesterday (one friendly, one enemy) before finishing my first bombing run. 14,000 lions, straight-up gone. Not fun.

Maybe I should ditch Japanese and just go German or Brit. Or suck it up and go Russian to fly some UFOs.

I have been keeping an eye on my currency the last 4-5 days since it came up. going up, slowly because I am buying just about every shit I can get my hands on (minus bombers which I loathe) but going up.

and I have the worst time with jap planes. I'll do my daily double win and then gladly forget about them.
    I tried that game. I just don't see the draw. The flying/shooting is very unintuitive I think. Doesn't feel right to me.

well if you are not drawn to it then it is maybe just very different from what you played before (or just plain not your thing. nothing wrong about that). I can not get into Star Command damnit Conflict because I like planes and gravity and having a reliable straight horizon to help me navigate. too much Top Gun as a teen I suppose.

now the game does have issues, no doubt about it (bombers) but I found it a lot more intuitive than SC.

heck. I'll jump into vent for my first time (!) in case anybody has questions as a promotional measure. if you are nice I will even curse at you in German if that is your thing. Game On Lobby 2, no idea how to change the channel comment. TS rules!

• Options
    Suriko wrote: »

I have been keeping an eye on my currency the last 4-5 days since it came up. going up, slowly because I am buying just about every shit I can get my hands on (minus bombers which I loathe) but going up.

and I have the worst time with jap planes. I'll do my daily double win and then gladly forget about them.

Honestly, as someone who's fairly new to this, how are you two finding the economy? Like, in terms of getting enough money to buy and train new stuff, etc?

I'm at about 9-11 in most of my trees and I'm finding the grind insufferable since the last patch. I'm wondering if I hate it because its objectively terrible or just because I'm used to it going way faster than it used to.

For reference a level 12 fighter costs 1.5mil plus another 200k to train. I can manage an average of ~15k on a good mission, depending on repairs and whether or not I'm using a premium plane.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    well let's just assume that I lose 4 planes on an average run. my country levels are 6-5-3-5-3 and I have bought every fighter and attack plane (minus the russians, those are my tier 1 planes) and 30% of the bombers, I always carry my best planes into battle and upgrade them whenever I can. I am keeping up with repairs and new aquisitions and I was making a slow but noticeable progress.

today I am just terribad and I might have lost a bit.

was at 450k earlier today (pilot lvl 9) but apparently forgot to buy new US planes and one UK plane. but also terribad today. now down to 330k but 4 new competitive planes up in the air for UK/US.

so far I have not once felt constricted by non-premium currency.

scherbchen on
  • Options
    I totally agree that it's insufferable. The only thing that really consoles me is that I have enough planes unlocked (rank: 7US/6GER/4RUS/4UK/3JAP) that I can still find enjoyment flying those planes. I want the higher tiered planes, but the game still feels fun at lower tiers.

I think eventually they'll be cutting the prices of the planes in about half. It'll still be higher than it was initially, but not as ridiculous as it is now. I'm sure they're fiddling with the economy to try to find what the right balance is to optimize their payout. Too easy to get planes, and people get rank 20 across the board, get bored and move away from the game.... no money. Too difficult to get planes, people get frustrated with the grind, got bored and move away.... no money. One of the things they need to do ASAP is to adjust the cost of converting eagles to lions. I don't and wouldn't ever convert money to lions, but right now it's about $17 for 1.3M lions which wouldn't even buy you that level 12 fighter. They should be doubling the conversion rate, at the very least.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    well like any good PR event... sorry for crashing the server an unprecedented 18 times. maybe tomorrow we will try again.

now, for those further ahead: is upping the qualification on a plane you really like worth the points spent? in my particular case the Spitfire I

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, I can't say I dig the state of the economy at all right now. They seem to be making a lot of adjustments, which is good, but it's also extremely hard to see any kind of vision behind their tweaking. How things will end up is anybody's guess.

My main dislike other than the economy right now is the rather wild changes to plane flight models between patches, meaning a plane that was pretty nice to fly before can turn out to be a bit shit the day after. As with the economy, it's good they're making changes, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I could see any direction behind them.

For reference, I'm not as high as scherbchen, only pilot level 6 with Japanese rank 5/German rank 2. Losing a bit of money every match, but I'm treading water thanks to achievements. I think maining Japanese planes may have been a mistake, as their bombers hemorrhage money and their fighters are competent at best

Suriko on
  • Options
    I did not delve that far into the japanese tree but what astounded me was the lack of oomph/second. mind you the Germans are lacking in that regard as well. the Russians get an insane spike early on. UK/US is somewhere in between with meh planes early on for the US and more yowza for the UK.

now don't ask me about bombers. I ain't down with that shit.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I need people to play this with, especially because I made an impulsive buy - the 12 dollar Pacific campaign. It gave me about three weeks of premium time, so I want to get my money's worth, dammit. I try to hang out in the Ventrilo server when I'm online, too.

Do people here still play this? The thread was back pretty far.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166