As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]: The Motion Picture

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    630.jpg?1177

poo
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    @21stcentury

this was my intermediate macro professors homepage

too bad the links to the problem sets are all broken, they would have been helpful
    and also each one was themed like a different disney movie
    and played disney music

http://www.columbia.edu/~xs23/home.html

this man was nutty

you got taught intermediate macro by Sala-i-Martin?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    God damn it, "Rehost and copy link" my foot. Well I'm not hotlinking it and I'm too lazy to find the original.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    this one is for @So It Goes and i will try to stop linking them

630.jpg?4942

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    630.jpg?5560

i could post them all day they're each majestic
    0/10 no crying lady liberty

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Direct quote from someone I know who shall remain unidentified:

"I don't care if someone's gay or not. That's their life. I just don't want someone teaching my kids that's okay."

How does that even work ? How can someone, personally, not care about something, yet at the same time think that same thing is something that they have to protect your children from ?

The way some people think really confuses me.

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    @21stcentury

this was my intermediate macro professors homepage

too bad the links to the problem sets are all broken, they would have been helpful
    and also each one was themed like a different disney movie
    and played disney music

http://www.columbia.edu/~xs23/home.html

this man was nutty

you got taught intermediate macro by Sala-i-Martin?
    yes it was a very good class i learned a lot
    though obviously a giant massive lecture class

poo
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

@jacobkosh per message earlir today I am just now leaving the dentist. Have to head across irvine and hit the freeway. You guys may want to start without me.

• Options
    KEBKEB Registered User regular
    this one is for @So It Goes and i will try to stop linking them

630.jpg?4942

Ah, a "She was asking for it" cartoon. Excellent.

*vomits*

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Woo, my finals are done.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Body still is not happy with working out, ehh it is just day 2 on the hard stuff. Will probably be better come next week.

it will feel good

i have let it slip and my diet slip and i have gotten fat in just 2 months

fat enough for me and my parents and my coworkers to notice

pah

I found pictures of me about 30 lbs lighter. Flat stomach, some muscle definition. So really pissed at me being fat so gotta work through the fat sickness of being out of shape.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    it's probably bad that every time Chu talks about his family I feel really good about myself

I feel like requesting trigger warnings on his family posts.

Shit hits too close to home sometimes (like tonight).

Speaking of, I got a pizza delivered and guess who the delivery man was?

No other than my 9th and 11th grade English teacher who despised me and thought me a retard who was then fired for diddling a senior during theater practice.

I really wish my Edinburgh degree had been here by now.

Best revenge is living well, motherfuckers.

Wow. Did he recognize you (and tried to pretend he didn't)? Did you guys small talk?

Don't know. All I did was sign the receipt and take my food and send him on his way.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    @KEB just, fyi, those are from the onion
    so

poo
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    http://i.imgur.com/bPYA1.jpg
    The greatest backyard party ever on the left and boresville on the right.

R53B8.jpg
    Someone has no clue what the point of Thanksgiving is.

Couscous on
  • Options
    @KEB just, fyi, those are from the onion
    so

Ah, quite.

Still, I don't have many hot button topics ... but that's one.

Makes me twitchy.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    LADY LIBERTY IS CRYING, KEB.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://i.imgur.com/bPYA1.jpg
    The greatest backyard party ever on the left and boresville on the right.

R53B8.jpg
    Someone has no clue what the point of Thanksgiving is.

Hahahaa WTF

• Options
    I don't know if it's awesome or sad that the Onion comics are pretty similar to the real political cartoons.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Anyone good at macroeconomics here?

I'm good at yelling about it, but not the theory or math part so much :P

i'm in Macroecon 101, do you think you can help me figure out what I can say about the unemployment crisis in the US/possible ways to solve it?

@21stCentury

Some questions:

How long does the paper need to be?

Does your professor have a clear ideological bent?

Are you comfortable writing against the beliefs of your professor if your beliefs don't match?

What have you covered in Macro 101?

Generally you can trust Ronya on this, but my feeling is always to go simple and straight forward and not kvetch about which worldview you're working with. I.E. make the analysis and solution as simple as possible.

For me this generally means a Keynesian type framework that doesn't have any micro foundations.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Keb, I assume you're a big Scribblenauts fan.

Hprb2.png

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    read the Book of Job on the bus today (NRSV)

it's fuckin' intense. But from what I have read elsewhere it is pretty amazing to be in the canon as well. It is the most textually corrupt book of the OT, in a strange dialect and with obvious breaks where passages are missing. It is also made of several chunks in very different dialects and assembled from what were separate written works. But even moreso the openening and closing prose surrounding the poem that makes up the bulk of the book is from a far later time and in a very different hand (it's classic P source, from the priestly class around time of the exile or just after).

Without those bookends and another inperpolation (the response to Job and his friends by Elihu, also in a different dialect) the poem of Job runs pretty much exactly counter to the entire premise of most of the rest of the OT. The final verse becomes bitterly ironic rather than a simple surrender. And without the bookends provided by the priests (that explain the whole thing was a bet between Yahweh and Satan, and give Job a "he lived happily ever after" at the end) it is a pure, if heartbreaking, assault on the supposed moral superiority of God.

See, I am of small account; what shall I answer you?
    I lay my hand on my mouth.
    I have spoken once, and I will not answer;
    twice, but will proceed no further.”

[several pages of God blustering like a pompous asshole about all the crazy powerful stuff he can do that humans can't]

I know that you can do all things,
    and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
    'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’
    Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
    things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
    Hear, and I will speak;
    I will question you, and you declare to me.’
    I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
    but now my eye sees you;
    therefore I despise myself,
    and repent in dust and ashes.”

Iron age OH SNAP

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    @Ronya: Wow, I think your advice for my Macroecon final is not for me. Like, it's all very interesting, but it's probably A) Above my level and B) This isn't some kind of open-book essay, there's no way I'll remember all that stuff. It's mostly gonna be us presented with an article and having to analyze it and shit.

I really, really wish I could remember all you said when the final comes tomorrow, but... it's a lot and, to be quite honest, we didn't see a lot of what you said, so I don't feel comfortable spouting it since I don't really understand it very well. :S

I think i'll stick with the multiplication effect of gov't spending and maybe, if I'm feeling adventurous, talk about the animal spirit/pessimism that's not helping.

Thanks for your advice, though, it's just... to good for me. :|

oh, like cheat notes for a final. Hmm. that's a lot harder. I thought you were asking for a presentation guideline on the topic of US unemployment in general.

What are your topics for the final? If you have a list I can throw down some advice.

I don't get to use any notes for the final, I'm not gonna use a cheat sheet, that'd be, well, cheating.

As for the topics? it's been heavily hinted to be the analysis of an article about the Unemployment crisis in the US, but the article and even the topic isn't exactly public. There has to be something left unknown, it seems.

I think I'll be able to manage to do a good job in the end, though.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Just spout out whatever monetary and fiscal policy adjustments you learned about. It's 101, you're overthinking this

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
  • Options
    @Ronya

Since you had some time, any thoughts on my essays/notes I sent you?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Keb, I assume you're a big Scribblenauts fan.

Hprb2.png

I saw that

Fun with adjectives!

Presenting a "boy" fulfils the objective - adding "naked young" allows you to do in a horrifying manner :P

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    @Ronya

I posted some comments soon after in [chat], I thought!

Lemme dig them up again...

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    Just spout out whatever monetary and fiscal policy adjustments you learned about. It's 101, you're overthinking this
    pretty much

Y = C + I + G + (X − M)

and whatever

and some graphs

i wahh i forget things, this was 2006

poo
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I gotta be honest, Taylor Swift is one of the prettiest celebrities out there. I have never seen a bad picture of her.

• Options
    I think I may play Civ 5 as a war like civ. I'm usually chief culture wussy baby.

• Options
    I just GIS'ed "bad Taylor Swift picture".

Nothing.

• Options
    I just GIS'ed "bad Taylor Swift picture".

Nothing.
    i did similar
    nothing
    except one where someone photoshopped her nose to be huge

poo
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I've tried playing multiplayer civ 5 a couple times now. Both times the game was cut short by network issues. :(

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I just held it in my hand, and the HTC 8X is incredible. If I could trade my 4S for it today.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Anyone good at macroeconomics here?

I'm good at yelling about it, but not the theory or math part so much :P

i'm in Macroecon 101, do you think you can help me figure out what I can say about the unemployment crisis in the US/possible ways to solve it?

21stCentury

Some questions:

How long does the paper need to be?

Does your professor have a clear ideological bent?

Are you comfortable writing against the beliefs of your professor if your beliefs don't match?

What have you covered in Macro 101?

Generally you can trust Ronya on this, but my feeling is always to go simple and straight forward and not kvetch about which worldview you're working with. I.E. make the analysis and solution as simple as possible.

For me this generally means a Keynesian type framework that doesn't have any micro foundations.

It's not paper, it's, like, a page-long "essay" question.

My professor is firmly living in Reality (He is keynesian). I don't feel bad writing against his beliefs, or even mine.
    We covered Aggregate Supply and demand, Unemployment, Inflation, How the Bank of Canada works and the monetary system and we ended with a brief overview of Budgets and Monetary policies, but we didn't see a lot, mostly just the Gov't Spending Multiplication effect.

What's your advice, Goum? It's probably gonna be above my level too, right? :P

• Options
    I think I may play Civ 5 as a war like civ. I'm usually chief culture wussy baby.

I usually race myself and see if I can win the culture game before destroying all humans.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I've tried playing multiplayer civ 5 a couple times now. Both times the game was cut short by network issues. :(

I've been looking into this server based game hosting thing the G&T guys have that might be a good solution to the kind of problems we were having.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    @Ronya

I posted some comments soon after in [chat], I thought!

Lemme dig them up again...

You did, just some quick thoughts. Wondered if you had any other thoughts since you said you were a bit busy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »

Yes, that's the problem with having a Majestically amazing brain, i overthink everything!

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Taylor swift does have a chipmunk face.

An adorable chipmunk face.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
This discussion has been closed.