As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]: The Motion Picture

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I just held it in my hand, and the HTC 8X is incredible. If I could trade my 4S for it today.

my coworker got one, pretty snazzy

poo
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    KEB wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Are baconators supposed to make you drowsy?

That's your heart failing.

Embrace the forever-sleep.

I ran off to play Dwarf Fortress instead but I like this post a lot.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Anyone good at macroeconomics here?

I'm good at yelling about it, but not the theory or math part so much :P

i'm in Macroecon 101, do you think you can help me figure out what I can say about the unemployment crisis in the US/possible ways to solve it?

21stCentury

Some questions:

How long does the paper need to be?

Does your professor have a clear ideological bent?

Are you comfortable writing against the beliefs of your professor if your beliefs don't match?

What have you covered in Macro 101?

Generally you can trust Ronya on this, but my feeling is always to go simple and straight forward and not kvetch about which worldview you're working with. I.E. make the analysis and solution as simple as possible.

For me this generally means a Keynesian type framework that doesn't have any micro foundations.

It's not paper, it's, like, a page-long "essay" question.

My professor is firmly living in Reality (He is keynesian). I don't feel bad writing against his beliefs, or even mine.
    We covered Aggregate Supply and demand, Unemployment, Inflation, How the Bank of Canada works and the monetary system and we ended with a brief overview of Budgets and Monetary policies, but we didn't see a lot, mostly just the Gov't Spending Multiplication effect.

What's your advice, Goum? It's probably gonna be above my level too, right? :P

As long as you understand what everything you just listed means, you can squeeze a page-long response to an article on unemployment no problem.

You got dis.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Also, I did the Multiple choice questions for the chapters we cover, since the prof is known to take those for the first half of his exams...

Went from 68% to 89% by studying today.

I feel confident about the multiple choice section. :)

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    By the way @KEB, do you embrace the forever sleep, or does the forever sleep embrace you?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Taylor swift does have a chipmunk face.

An adorable chipmunk face.

No she doesn't.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KEBKEB Registered User regular

<3 you Henroid

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    A chipmunk face is like overly attached girlfriend or something.

Taylor Swift does not have that.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

i'm in Macroecon 101, do you think you can help me figure out what I can say about the unemployment crisis in the US/possible ways to solve it?

21stCentury

Some questions:

Are you comfortable writing against the beliefs of your professor if your beliefs don't match?

Generally you can trust Ronya on this, but my feeling is always to go simple and straight forward and not kvetch about which worldview you're working with. I.E. make the analysis and solution as simple as possible.

For me this generally means a Keynesian type framework that doesn't have any micro foundations.

My professor is firmly living in Reality (He is keynesian). I don't feel bad writing against his beliefs, or even mine.
    We covered Aggregate Supply and demand, Unemployment, Inflation, How the Bank of Canada works and the monetary system and we ended with a brief overview of Budgets and Monetary policies, but we didn't see a lot, mostly just the Gov't Spending Multiplication effect.

As long as you understand what everything you just listed means, you can squeeze a page-long response to an article on unemployment no problem.

You got dis.

Yeah, i understand Unemployment, it's what happens when people are deadbeat and it's caused by government spending.

• Options
    I'd do Taylor Swift, straight up

Though girl is mad tall, that ain't for me

• Options
    KEB, did I inspire you to Dorf?

If so, i feel proud!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

21stCentury

Some questions:

You got dis.

Yeah, i understand Unemployment, it's what happens when people are deadbeat and it's caused by government spending.

Nailed it.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I've tried playing multiplayer civ 5 a couple times now. Both times the game was cut short by network issues. :(

endless space has some p fun MP. i did it with skips.

• Options

<3 you Henroid

Aw shucks.

I'll make a baconator cake in your honor.

• Options
    By the way @KEB, do you embrace the forever sleep, or does the forever sleep embrace you?

Which way you perceive this relationship massively affects your experience in the afterlife.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The Republican political cartoon tears after the election were so delicious.

• Options
    KEB, did I inspire you to Dorf?

If so, i feel proud!

I have previously Dorfed!

But I wasn't really Dorfing today. I was actually inspired my Deebaser to observe strangers and report on / analyse their behaviour.

... Typing that out makes it sound creepy.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    @Ronya

Since you had some time, any thoughts on my essays/notes I sent you?

I posted some comments soon after in [chat], I thought!

Lemme dig them up again...

You did, just some quick thoughts. Wondered if you had any other thoughts since you said you were a bit busy.

I'm a little reluctant to formulate any disputes because I don't think the arguments are constructed to be solid inasmuch as to demonstrate a literature review. Which is fair. You said you don't write to your own views either. I still disagree with much of the two essays, as I remarked earlier, but any good literature review will generate that. Otherwise there's nothing to motivate further talk :rotate:

I will remark that the worldview taken is quite alien and the sensation I get often when reading political science talking about international trade - that the analysis is presuming a macroeconomics that deviates in important but subtle ways from any school of macro thought I know - lurks in both papers. Given that economists talking about the political aspects of international trade seem quite content to handwave as well, I sometimes wonder whether the lack of mutual awareness is leading us to miss something obvious.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Okay, I think i'm ready for my final tomorrow. Only thing left is to decide what song I want playing in my head while i do it.

Right now, i have Another Winter from the Scott Pilgrim video game in my head, but should I go for a classic 8-bit song like the Moon from Ducktales? Or perhaps go for something more classic rock, like Hotel California?

Ah, so many songs I could have stuck in my head, but which one's the right one for tomorrow?

• Options

<3 you Henroid

Aw shucks.

I'll make a baconator cake in your honor.

Love rescinded.

:P

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    jKNFI.jpg
    biBxR.jpg
    I think its adorable that he thinks the shit done to black people and Native Americans was done only in the country's early history.

I agree with all these comics

but presumably not for the reasons the author intended

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Okay, I think i'm ready for my final tomorrow. Only thing left is to decide what song I want playing in my head while i do it.

Right now, i have Another Winter from the Scott Pilgrim video game in my head, but should I go for a classic 8-bit song like the Moon from Ducktales? Or perhaps go for something more classic rock, like Hotel California?

Ah, so many songs I could have stuck in my head, but which one's the right one for tomorrow?

it's britney bitch
    badum dum dum dum dum

poo
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

21stCentury

Some questions:

REMEMBER: COVER ALL THE PERSPECTIVES YOU WERE TAUGHT FIRST

before wandering off into pet argument land

this is something enthusiastic undergraduates will easily forget

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Which way you perceive this relationship massively affects your experience in the afterlife.

I hear cowards die many deaths but the valiant taste death only once!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Sluts die many little deaths

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ronya wrote: »

21stCentury

Some questions:

REMEMBER: COVER ALL THE PERSPECTIVES YOU WERE TAUGHT FIRST

before wandering off into pet argument land

this is something enthusiastic undergraduates will easily forget

hah, i will make the most rambling 1 page essay ever. it will be glorious!

• Options

Now you are on the path to understanding meat-related death, my child.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Feral wrote: »

Sluts die many little deaths

La petite mort

Chanus on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Why yes, ending poverty and building infrastructure in poor nations WOULD accomplish more than law enforcement!

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    I'm trying out a Foundry mission right now. It's as scripted as an STO quest tends to be, but it's pretty imaginative and it's making me think I'd love a shot and creating a scripted STO questline myself.

• Options
    @21stCentury

My Dad taught me that the best song to have stuck in your head, and the one guaranteed to get all other songs out of your head, is the Hockey Night in Canada Theme. Not the new one, the old classic. You know the one?

That is the song you want!

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Every time I touch myself, an angel grows a dick.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    A chipmunk face is like overly attached girlfriend or something.

Taylor Swift does not have that.
    What is it then because its like a rodent permanently sniffing.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options

Now you are on the path to understanding meat-related death, my child.

Request: Teach me your meatbag ways, master.

• Options
    I'm trying out a Foundry mission right now. It's as scripted as an STO quest tends to be, but it's pretty imaginative and it's making me think I'd love a shot and creating a scripted STO questline myself.

do you kiss spock yes or yes

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Why yes, ending poverty and building infrastructure in poor nations WOULD accomplish more than law enforcement!

or, y'know, doing both

not like they're mutually exclusive or anything

• Options
    I thought, "Why am I getting @ed in so many messages?"

Damn quote trees.

Also I'm very excited to meet ed.

• Options
    @21stCentury

My Dad taught me that the best song to have stuck in your head, and the one guaranteed to get all other songs out of your head, is the Hockey Night in Canada Theme. Not the new one, the old classic. You know the one?

That is the song you want!

I never watched Hockey Night in Canada. Hockey isn't my thing. :?

• Options
    god fuck email signatures

nice beautiful css

outlook munges it completely

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Every time I touch myself, an angel grows a dick.

I heard that motherfucker has like.....20 goddamn dicks.

This discussion has been closed.