As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Depths and Delvers Heroes of the Forgotten Bulge

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    my problem with pathfinder is that all the archetypes i really like are mechanically abysmal and i would be punishing myself by trying to play one

which ones?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I used to hang out on a chat site exclusively for RPGs. It's pretty damn good, and it's been around for years. Some of the rooms there have been around since the site was created.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    my problem with pathfinder is that all the archetypes i really like are mechanically abysmal and i would be punishing myself by trying to play one

which ones?

the one that particularly comes to mind is the wizard archetype that's like, some sort of arcane sniper? it has a magic gun and shit

i remember asking you about it, actually

iirc you said it was exceptionally cool in terms of concept but totally awful to actually play

• Options

which ones?

the one that particularly comes to mind is the wizard archetype that's like, some sort of arcane sniper? it has a magic gun and shit

iirc you said it was exceptionally cool in terms of concept but totally awful to actually play

oh god the spellslinger

poor poor spellslinger :(

• Options

which ones?

oh god the spellslinger

yeah

yeah.............

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My main beef with PbP is when people are doing awesome character banter and stuff while I am at work.

I want to participate tooooooo

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    yeah I've found gatsby's game tends to move fastest while I'm asleep

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    clearly the solution is never sleep.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

which ones?

oh god the spellslinger

Well whats wrong with it? I don't see how you can't fix it with house rules. Arcane Archer works well right? Why not apply some of the stuff from that class to spellslinger?

hell, when I get back from class I'll look at spell slinger and see if I can fix it

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

which ones?

oh god the spellslinger

Well whats wrong with it? I don't see how you can't fix it with house rules. Arcane Archer works well right? Why not apply some of the stuff from that class to spellslinger?

hell, when I get back from class I'll look at spell slinger and see if I can fix it

well the problem is that it is a wizard who does not wizard and instead forsakes 4 schools and sacrifices spells to do less damage than a gunslinger

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    "Join the ARMS, they said. See the world, they said. Phooey!"

nrptfkn.jpg

Joining ARMS would be cool, no matter how nonsensical they get around talking lizard-folk.

• Options
    yeah is it a base class? I would retool it to make it a prestige class. Like arcane archer, except you have to basically be a gunslinger with the ability to cast arcane spells.

Instead of losing 4 schools, I would say drop 2. You can still cast spells from this school, but you get a penalty on them. It now being a gunsmith/wizard I think you would keep scribe scroll, but its no longer a class skill, Gunsmithing is, so it costs more to raise it from here on. As for damage, I would have it like arcane archer, at level 1 you get a +1 enhancement bonus to the weapon, at level 3 you can have it do elemental damage, then at level 5, instead of getting distance, you can attune your gun with a spell. So maybe at level 5, you cast fireball on your ice bullets. That bullet would do the damage for the bullet, with a 3x crit modifier, ice damage, then explode in a fireball.

This is just me throwing something together. It would require some fleshing out, but its possible.

Maybe even you can have a high level mage/spellslinger enchant a gun permently with like Haste, so it gets double the attacks per round.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    yeah is it a base class? I would retool it to make it a prestige class. Like arcane archer, except you have to basically be a gunslinger with the ability to cast arcane spells.

Instead of losing 4 schools, I would say drop 2. You can still cast spells from this school, but you get a penalty on them. It now being a gunsmith/wizard I think you would keep scribe scroll, but its no longer a class skill, Gunsmithing is, so it costs more to raise it from here on. As for damage, I would have it like arcane archer, at level 1 you get a +1 enhancement bonus to the weapon, at level 3 you can have it do elemental damage, then at level 5, instead of getting distance, you can attune your gun with a spell. So maybe at level 5, you cast fireball on your ice bullets. That bullet would do the damage for the bullet, with a 3x crit modifier, ice damage, then explode in a fireball.

This is just me throwing something together. It would require some fleshing out, but its possible.

Maybe even you can have a high level mage/spellslinger enchant a gun permently with like Haste, so it gets double the attacks per round.

they can still cast spells from their forsaken school, it just requires 2 spell slots, the second thing is something a magus already gets

the problem is that it is taken a super powerful class and giving it the best ranged weapon in the game, soooo

also haste is a weapon enhancement already, it gives and extra attack on a full attack and is a +4(3?)

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    now the weird thing about this is that there's an entire subcommunity of, like, free-form forum based roleplaying out there in the wilds of the internet, on forums and fanfiction sites and shit, often composed of people with no experience at all (or even interest in) traditional "mainstream" roleplaying like of the sort that we here are talking about

somehow those people manage to make it work - often without random elements or even rules per se - but I am not sure how. as a phenomenon, though, it fascinates me.

From like 11 to 14 I was all over this. Just a bunch of people posting about a collaborative narrative with no real rules in place other than "Dude that's obviously you trying to play out a power fantasy. Get your stuff together and post something decent."

It was just as bad as it seems and I'm pretty sure half the time it was just an excuse for cyber sex.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    and it technically only sucks at shooting stuff due to it's bad BAB

it's still a fucking wizard though

• Options
    well if thats the only issue then maybe raise the bab and lower somthing else?

• Options
    the problem is

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/myrmidarch

already exists which is literally a spellslinger only better with slightly slower spell progression but way better direct damage output

see, when the gunslinger class and guns came out, they wanted to try and make archetypes for all the different classes so they could use guns

only they kinda rushed it? and none of them are very good at all because guns are stupid powerful so they overnerfed all the classes in order to use them

but they can't even use them as effectively as a gunslinger

• Options
    i don't understand some of the gun design choices made. like why is a musket doing more damage then a rifle?

I figure i's because if advanced firearms are available why would you ever use a musket otherwise, but it is still kinda weird.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »
    i don't understand some of the gun design choices made. like why is a musket doing more damage then a rifle?

I figure i's because if advanced firearms are available why would you ever use a musket otherwise, but it is still kinda weird.

a musket uses a .50 caliber soft lead ball whereas a rifle uses somewhere between .22 and .38 caliber jacketed lead bullet

if you are ever in a situation where YOU MUST be shot by one, pick the rifle

• Options
    also advanced firearms hit touch AC up to 5 range increments vs. the 1 of primitive firearms

• Options
    why not use a rifle with a .50 ball round?

Those exist, and i figure if they're using muzzle loaded rifles would be the standard.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »
    why not use a rifle with a .50 ball round?

Those exist, and i figure if they're using muzzle loaded rifles would be the standard.

they uses cartridges and the kick on that would send most people flying

it's a kinda balancing thing essentially

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    surely a musket has far less muzzle velocity though

I imagine that a modern rifle round hits you with far more force, despite the smaller round

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    surely a musket has far less muzzle velocity though

I imagine that a modern rifle round hits you with far more force, despite the smaller round

errr kinda

the rifle will typically have way higher muzzle velocity and likely strike with greater force, but it is also jacketed and won't expand and deform like a ball will

also the difference in caliber is MASSIVE

• Options
    does the musket also have like minus a zillion points to hit at ranges greater than three feet

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hey @Bucketman! If your game is strictly play-by-post (and thus not skype or meeting to chat/talk) I would love to jump into it.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Pip is to Pathfinder as Zonugal is to 3.5 as I am to 4e.

We just know this shit, yo.

Probably as Anti is to Gamma World.

This is a fair model.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Unless they went off from black powder in rifles, nah it wouldn't.

I get that it's a balance thing just seems like a weird call.

But i also think it's weird to put rifles as advanced fire arms, so whatever.

• Options
    plus faster is not always necessarily better

e.g. overpenetration

• Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    does the musket also have like minus a zillion points to hit at ranges greater than three feet

rifle has twice the range increment of a musket and half the misfire chance

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Hobgoblins got love? Where?!

@DarkPrimus: 419, Dragon, Some feats, racial utility powers and racial traits, as well as variable stats and racial powers, it seems. Them and Bladelings.

Both got a "Winning Races" article.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    just give me a flamethrower and I'll be happy

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    The difference in caliber is indeed massive but I would imagine it is far offset by the considerably more advance gas compression and containment systems in modern firearms as well as much greater explosive force generated by the bullet itself.

The effect of the round on your internals is different though I'll grant you that

though there were numerous reports that the reason armies during, say, the Napoleonic Wars fought at such close ranged in ranks was not just because of problems with accuracy but also because muskets were rather low in power, and at longer ranges they simply didn't hit hard enough to kill or even injure.

• Options
    e.g. overpenetration

w

well hello?

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    just give me a flamethrower and I'll be happy
    At 6th level, a grenadier can detonate a bomb so that it splashes in a 20-foot cone rather than affecting a radius. The cone starts at the alchemist and extends away from her in the direction she chooses. The alchemist designates one creature in the squares affected by the cone to be the target of the bomb and makes her attack roll against that creature; all other squares in the cone take splash damage. If the alchemist has the explosive bomb discovery and throws an explosive directed blast, the cone of splash damage is 30 feet long instead of 20 feet.

• Options
    I mean, I'd rather not be shot with either

but if someone lets me pick between, say, an M16 or a musket then I'll go musket please

plus, the musket is more likely to explode in their face, which is nice

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    that's a BOMB, Pip

I know your tricks

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    gamma world has a flamethrower
    43 Flame Thrower
    Legion
    Common
    Area 52
    When you trigger the nozzle, it sprays liquid fire that immolates your enemies.
    Weapon: Two-handed;
    Power: At-Will * Fire; Standard Action; Close Blast 5; Target: Each creature in blast; Attack: Level +6 vs. Reflex; Hit: 2d6 + Constitution modifier + your level fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    I mean, I'd rather not be shot with either

but if someone lets me pick between, say, an M16 or a musket then I'll go musket please

plus, the musket is more likely to explode in their face, which is nice

nato rounds are designed to injure rather than necessarily kill

muskets were designed to maim and kill

• Options
    Yeah, but getting that depends on random chance!

Miss me? Find me on:

This discussion has been closed.