As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starbound] Has actually released!

NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
edited August 2016 in Games and Technology
It's here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O6PUh3reG0

Let me know if anyone is able/willing to host a server for the Arcadians. I tried to put one up on a VPS, and it ate all the rams... in 10 seconds... :redface:

Original OP contained below

Furious Koala Patch Notes:
Hey there Stargazers and Sports Racers, it’s been quite some time since the last patch, and we have some very large changes dropping this release.

Code Changes:

Absolutely massive changes to disk serialization (sorry reversers), which will allow us to never need to wipe players or ships again, and hopefully never need to wipe worlds again.
Related, we now have a proper versioning system for save files.
Added difficulty levels and permadeath characters to the game.
Packed assets into databases (speeds up startup significantly), and included asset packing and unpacking utilities with the distribution.
This should also allow for easier distribution of mods, and easier construction and management of slimmed down distributions for dedicated servers (official server paks coming soon.)
Fix some graphical glitches with the wire nodes.
Fixed some pretty nasty deadlocking bugs with networking.
Fixed some very strange memory leak bugs stemming from a gcc lambda capture bug.
Fixed various crash bugs related to a number of different issues (more specifics listed in “Info About the Upcoming Patch“– thanks for the bug reports, keep em coming)
Speed up improvements with falling sand and other projectiles.
More efficient databases storage layout.
Documentation for lua functions have been written, and we’re going to release them soonish.
Removed NaN floats from the code for performance reasons (reenabled -ffinite-math-only), we had been using them to signal that the float is disabled or in an invalid state, but we have a system for that now.
Some internal changes that make maintaining code much happier for us, including better enum to string handling and much faster compiles.
Other minor things, too numerous to list here (see “Info About the Upcoming Patch“).
Fun Changes:

It’s no longer the holiday, so we’ve removed the holiday stuff for now, we’ll put them back when we have a better way of enabling it for holiday time.
PVP is now forced enabled within Sector X. If you’re in a party there’s no team damage though.
All player drops are persistent now. So if you accidentally throw your diamond drill down a mineshaft, you don’t have to suicide trying to get it back before it disappears.
New Monster attacks (gravity slam! gust attacks! other stuff!)
Fixed Legendary Weapons damage (adjusted up to be more… well… Legendary.)
We’ve put in new Techs (such as a Glitch Mech).
New biome type enabled. Savannah.
Boss Lore!
No more eating bandages and stims, they have their own thing now.
Better, more featureful .abc file support, and we have Wanderlust music in the game now. (Thanks Leth and D2!)
Made NPC chatter more configurable and slightly more varied.
Added new objects (such as lava biome treasure chests).
Added new items (like nightsticks and bonesaws).
Sword swooshes are only active for 0.6 seconds instead of 0.9 seconds.
Making cooldown times actually matter without slowing down combat. Also fine tuned their hitboxes.
Viking helmet? Viking helmet.
Watch out for landmines.
Various changes to treasure drop pools (like Avian Guards actually dropping their guns…)
Minor tweaks to existing armors to make them look better.
Medieval Furnace now actually acts like a Furnace. (Rejoice).
Graphical upgrades to some existing plants, and new plants.
Lots more secret stuff! :OOO

What is Starbound?

Starbound is an early access multiplayer 2D sandbox adventure game. You fight space creatures, build on and terraform worlds, and generally explore. There is something of a story to the game, with background details depending on what race you play as, but the shared theme is that you are trying to rebuild your life after something drives you away from your home world.

For those that have played Terraria, this game is leaps and bounds more content and system filled. Some notable generalized points are:
  • Slopes! There is sloped ground in the game rather than just sequential tiles rising and falling. Though, those are in the game too.
  • Multiple races to play! There aren't any inherent traits like stats that differentiate races, but complete sets of gear belonging to a race's aesthetic / theme provide bonuses.
  • Multiple worlds! You don't just generate one world and work with it alone. You can leave it, explore other worlds, and return.
  • Space ships! This is your hub to your game, where you can travel to other worlds from, be safe on PvP enabled servers, and perform more crafting tasks in the research lab.
  • More expansive crafting system! Aside from more things to craft by a large margin, you learn more crafting recipes from NPCs you help or rescue. Simple objects can be crafted on the field, but more advanced blueprints like for mechs will require you to work on the space station.
  • Mechs! You can build mechs of varying purposes onboard the space station and deploy to worlds, stompin' around like a boss.
  • Procedural generation! Damn near everything in the game is procedurally generated, be it creatures, worlds, and the stats of items and their aesthetic.
  • More expansive multiplayer! When you join a multiplayer server, you will arrive with your ship, and can go to any planet regardless of where other people are. Size of worlds, how many worlds, and player count will all depend on machine power, and dedicated servers are a thing.
  • Internet streaming! You can stream your gameplay directly from ingame to Twitch TV! (at some point in the future!)
  • Farming! Hey, in this game you'll actually have to eat, and why not farm for food?

More information is available in excruciating detail in the "Game Details" link up top.

What are these playable races?
SBhumans_zpsd5081d8d.png
Humans - How standard! Precise details about human history in this game aren't really worked out, but why not have them.

SBapex_zps9a26e566.png
Apex - Apes in space! Culturally the apex are very science driven, aiming to better all apexkind. Some apex are chosen by the leadership to undergo unknown experiments and are never seen again. This has caused some stir of rebellion to rise up.

SBavian_zps862a7884.png
Avian - Bird people! The avian are a religious warrior race. They can't actually fly, but hope to achieve it in the afterlife. There are some avian who turn away from religion. This grants them the label of "grounded" and they are exiled.

SBfloran_zps3bb08a48.png
Floran - Plant people! Don't let the look fool you though, they're actually a very aggressive tribal peoples who engage in cannibalism. Some do wander on their own and isolate themselves, and are collectively exiled from all tribes. How do they coordinate that?!

SBhylotl_zps786e3091.png
Hylotl - Fish people! Also the name isn't finalized. They are very much grounded (watered?) in real-world eastern culture. But not many details exist for now.

SBglitch_zpsdf551f30.png
Glitch - Robot people! Rather than the typical sci-fi hive-mind threat to organic life, the Glitch are a people trapped into emulating medieval society. They reproduce by couples constructing a new Glitch. Sometimes these new ones are free from the medieval mindset and are more advanced as a result. But they are branded as crazy heretics and thus the victim of witch hunts.

Additional Media
Things to do while we wait

Check out some of the soundtrack
Play with the character creator! Here's mine.
Vote on preorder price!

Images!

Hehe, guns.
Dinner on the moon
Crafting!
Farming!
Apex base
Avian temple
Floran tree fort
Human spaceship or space station?
Glitch castle

Videos!

Building Demonstration
Water Demonstration
Forest!
Lighting
Critters!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0Xnsy8H31Q8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dnc69buy670
We also got the wonderful Logan Cunningham of Bastion fame on board for the voice acting. The samples he sent today were incredible.

NOTE: For now I just did a Copy Pasta from @SkutSkut's OP. If anyone wants anything adjusted PM me. Also, if anyone from the forum has a Let's Play, or similar linkable content for Starbound, let me know! I would much rather have forumer created content up here!

Edit log in the spoiler below
01-28-15-Winter Update Live!!!!!!!
12-20-14 - Added Winter Update splash
01-23-14 - Added @diannaochong's server status page. General trimming and cleaning.
01-26-14 - Added Patch notes for Furious Koala.

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
Nackmatholn on

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I can't wait for the update!
    Did we ever get a definite date?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Be nice to finally get back to this, things must be collected so I can store them in a collection!

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I feel the itch to play, but remember the impending alpacalypse and then decide to hold off

• Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    I feel the itch to play, but remember the impending alpacalypse and then decide to hold off

If I find some kind of Alpaca creature in this game, this will be a thing.

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    Obrital Alpacalypse tech

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Looking forward to bingeing on Starbound this weekend. Hopefully we get it Friday night or early Saturday!

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Starbound 2: Alpacalypse Now!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Wow, OP needs an updoot.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Wow, OP needs an updoot.

It certainly does! I'll work on making it smoother tonight. Any suggestions?

• Options
    Well, for starters, you should probably change "will release in 2013" to something a bit more up to date. :P

• Options
    Well, for starters, you should probably change "will release in 2013" to something a bit more up to date. :P

But... we must embrace the past while facing annihilation?

• Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Starbound is dead! Long live Starbound!

Seriously though, make like a phoenix and explode already so we can resume resisting imperial penguin oppression.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    A day or two?
    But..
    That might mean Sunday night.. and that is bad for those of us who needs to go to work Monday morning ;)

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Has there been any kind of timeframe given for when the full public release of Starbound will be, even rough estimates? I've been sorta following this thread but I've never noticed it mentioned. I'm interested in picking this up, but I really want to wait until it's fully released so that I don't spoil myself on it by getting the beta.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anyone wanna pillage the server before the world ends?
    Just go from world to world, destroy any structure we see.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Anyone wanna pillage the server before the world ends?
    Just go from world to world, destroy any structure we see.
    Eat the women! Burn all the babies!

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Oh man.... its not like I already put 60 hours into this damn game.... now I will have to put another 60 in?

• Options
    Plat0nicPlat0nic Registered User regular
    Wow 2d eh? I heard they were making games in 4d now. Come on!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    2D is best D

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Plat0nic wrote: »
    Wow 2d eh? I heard they were making games in 4d now. Come on!

214595_Back-to-the-Future__00.jpg ?

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I guess update isn't live since it says Merry Christmas. I want to play, but I don't want to lose my stuff the next day.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    One of the devs posted the commit log showing the differences between Angry and Furious (the name of the new version) Koala. Full version is here, but someone on reddit summarized the most important changes. I've put this in spoilers in case you want to be surprised on patch day, there seems to be quite a lot more in this one than I'd expected:

Glitch Mech

Landmines

Shroomboom (Possible mushroom mines / mushroom cloud)

Add grab attack to tallbipeds with imp and plain arms

Add a status effect to set the ground movement modifier (slow debuffs?)

ABC files from Wanderlust

Don't spawn microdungeons on top of spawn

Various remarks about the needler weapons which were announced recently If memory serves.

new floran heatstick (Flare?)

Improved stim sounds and no longer eat bandages

add floran dungeon weapons and pieces

Allow miningdoor to be flipped. (Hatch?)

Crystal Weather

Add Supernova, Blackhole and BigCrunch modes: normal, hardcore, permadeath modes

Bartwe glasses

Bonesaws

Apex Lab NPCs now have unique weapon drops.

Shift naturalcave loot into dungeon treasure pool

add a bunch of new plasma projectiles

Pinfriend encounter

Agaran encounter 3

Shivs and Hunting Plates

Character Creation UI changes.

Lightningcoil

fix powered armor

Force pvp in x sector

Viking Helmet, Strawberry and Symbiote, Captains Cap, Cool Fez, Bunny Mask, Kitty Mask, Banana Mask and Eyeball Mask

Remove massive stacking from poison effect from statuspod to make it not a 3 tick insta kill poison effect.

Shroommerchant

more vanity stuff + shield

Fix glitch castle guards not being able to shoot. (That's going to hurt)

Crossbows, Revolvers, Flamethrowers.

Boss lore

Add "jump, skip & pounce" attack to tinyquads

Make the slavesword ranged! (New type of sword?)

add nightstick, edit bunkerguard npc, wip

toxic biome npcs

new volcano quad chest

few more plants

Don't blink while laying down

All the fucking grass

More minibiome dungeon things

Add gravity slam attack to smallbipeds with smallimparms

Aimed spears

icechucker gun re-added to treasure pool

Medieval Furnace is now a Furnace.

Fix pvp functionality, also if you go into pvp wihtin a team your in a group with your team.

improved some armour sprites

disable steam drm requirement check

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Aww...I'm gonna miss eating toilet paper. :(

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'm interested to see what "All the fucking grass" means, as well as "Boss lore". Maybe they'll finally explain why we have to build a robot that tries to kill us? Also I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with landmines and flamethrowers.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    RP post related to my obtaining of the game.
    --- SUBSPACE TRANSMISSION DETECTED....

--- RUNNING TELECOMMUNICATIONS SCAN....

--- MESSAGE RECEIVED....

--- BEGINNING DOWNLOAD....

--- DOWNLOAD COMPLETE, MESSAGE BELOW.

Greetings <previously contacted recipient name>!

Thank you for your generous donation of <collected amount> pixels! They have been instrumental in my struggle to free my vast armory of advanced weaponry! I am writing to you, the illustrious <recipient race> known not only for your tenacity in battle, but also generosity in a stranger's time of need! At the end of this message is a collection of coordinates to various weapons lockers that I am granting public access to as per our agreement! I am also including a visual scan of one such cache of powerful weapons to prove that I have upheld my end of our bargain!

OIQWbTC.png

Once again, <recipient name>, I am utterly grateful for your donation and wish you the best of luck in reaching the weapons caches before the prophecies come to pass! May they aid in your future endeavors and serve as a reminder that not all in this universe are out to kill you!

Truly Yours,
    The Prince of Ignarie

--- WARNING...

--- MESSAGE CORRUPTION BEYOND THIS POINT...

--- SCANNING MESSAGE...

--- VIRUS FOUND, DELETING MESSAGE...

--- See You space cowboy ...

Been holding off getting too deep into the game since getting gifted it, really looking forward to the update landing so I can dive into it headfirst.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    ...I think I might try to post some RP stuff after the wipe.

• Options
    Does anyone have any houses on the server?

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Is this the last wipe?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Is this the last wipe?
    Nope. But your characters should survive whatever comes next.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    To clarify, it's going to be the last character/ship wipe, but there is a possibility that planets will still have changes made that force a wipe on that front.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    The patch is live! (483 MB)
    Patch notes:
    v. Furious Koala

Hey there Stargazers and Sports Racers,

It’s been quite some time since the last patch, and we have some very large changes dropping this release.

Code Changes:

Absolutely massive changes to disk serialization (sorry reversers), which will allow us to never need to wipe players or ships again, and hopefully never need to wipe worlds again.
    Related, we now have a proper versioning system for save files.
    Added difficulty levels and permadeath characters to the game.
    Packed assets into databases (speeds up startup significantly), and included asset packing and unpacking utilities with the distribution. This should also allow for easier distribution of mods, and easier construction and management of slimmed down distributions for dedicated servers (official server paks coming soon.)
    Fix some graphical glitches with the wire nodes.
    Fixed some pretty nasty deadlocking bugs with networking.
    Fixed some very strange memory leak bugs stemming from a gcc lambda capture bug.
    Fixed various crash bugs related to a number of different issues (thanks for the bug reports, keep em coming.)
    Speed up improvements with falling sand and other projectiles.
    More efficient databases storage layout.
    Documentation for lua functions have been written, and we’re going to release them soonish.
    Removed NaN floats from the code for performance reasons (reenabled -ffinite-math-only), we had been using them to signal that the float is disabled or in an invalid state, but we have a system for that now.
    Some internal changes that make maintaining code much happier for us, including better enum to string handling and much faster compiles.
    Other minor things, too numerous to list here.

Fun Changes:

It’s no longer the holiday, so we’ve removed the holiday stuff for now, we’ll put them back when we have a better way of enabling it for holiday time.
    PVP is now forced enabled within Sector X. If you’re in a party there’s no team damage though.
    All player drops are persistent now. So if you accidentally throw your diamond drill down a mineshaft, you don’t have to suicide trying to get it back before it disappears.
    New Monster attacks (gravity slam! gust attacks! other stuff!)
    Fixed Legendary Weapons damage (adjusted up to be more… well… Legendary.)
    We’ve put in new Techs (such as a Glitch Mech).
    New biome type enabled. Savannah.
    Boss Lore!
    No more eating bandages and stims, they have their own thing now.
    Better, more featureful abc file support, and we have Wanderlust music in the game now. (Thanks Leth and D2!)
    Made NPC chatter more configurable and slightly more varied.
    Added new objects (such as lava biome treasure chests).
    Added new items (like nightsticks and bonesaws).
    Sword swooshes are only active for 0.6 seconds instead of 0.9 seconds. Making cooldown times actually matter without slowing down combat. Also fine tuned their hitboxes.
    Viking helmet? Viking helmet.
    Watch out for landmines.
    Various changes to treasure drop pools (like avianguards actually dropping their guns…)
    Minor tweaks to existing armors to make them look better.
    Medieval Furnace now actually acts like a Furnace. (Rejoice).
    Graphical upgrades to some existing plants, and new plants.
    Other stuff!

We look forward to hearing what you think about the patch.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Well then.
    2rho605.jpg
    Let's get to it, shall we?

cB557 on
  • Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    Started my new man, crafted a spear with my first bit of iron left over from the anvil.

Game crashes if I swing with it. BEHOLD the Lance of Oblivion.

• Options
    My game crashed twice before it would start up. Freaked me out for a second.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    My floran was greeted by a giant ass asteroid crashing into the planet and creating a large crater near my spawn point.
    tUZD5qT.jpg

Good to be back.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Rain and lightning for me.

• Options
    I'm now going to build a home in the crater.

I'm playing a raider floran (complete with highway warrior mohawk) so it seems appropriate that he would feel most at home at a site of mass destruction and scorched earth.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Woo! The update seems to have fixed all the crash bugs I was running into. I can actually play. It's stuttery as all heck, but apparently they're already working on a fix for that.

Time for Helm Splitter the Apex to get into some shenanigans.