As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Age of Inhumans

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    Oh sure, i agree, but its going to continue to be a neccesary evil unless you do something drastic like Government owned broadcasting. (like the BBC).

Or enough people will eventually just cut cords to force the business model to finally die off.

If I just want a fibre-op Internet connection (50 Mbps download, 5 Mbps upload), that would be $80 plus tax from my local ISP. If I want that Internet connection plus television, that would be $140 plus tax. Over the course of the year, that comes to over $700. That means that for the amount of television I watch, it's much cheaper to just use Netflix and then to buy TV shows off of iTunes or Google Play or Amazon for $1.99 to 2.99 an episode or so, or $30 to $40 for a season if I'm really confident that I'll watch the show all the way through. I watch maybe five or six hours of TV a week - it's much better for me to buy the shows, and to be able to download them whenever (or wherever, on whatever device) than it is to pay for cable.

The change is slow, but it's happening, without the need for something drastic.

Yeah, cutting the cord saves much money. When I moved last year, I did the math for cutting the cord and found that I would save $1200/year by simply buying the TV shows I wanted on Amazon + Netflix instead of Cable + Netflix. It made it a real easy decision to kill cable.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Re: Ward
    Why does everyone think he's going to be Taskmaster?
    People really want to see Taskmaster. Which I don't blame them for, because he's awesome. But I think we're going to need to get a little more crazy before a guy in a skull mask and white cloak is not out of place on AoS. :)

With what happened in this episode, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he goes there, just without the costume.
    3rd party merc with no side is pretty much where hes at, despite trying to retire right now. I wonder what they wanted with the hydra guy.

Or he could easily go into training bad guys how to fight the good guys.

I just want to see a scene in deadpool where they both show up to a fight on opposite sides, it looks like an epic fight is gonna start, and instead they just rock-paper-scissors it since there both mercenaries, TM loses, takes a few fake punches and runs away.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Bobble wrote: »
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    I really like how they have gotten pretty good at the spy thing in this show. The twists feel organic and not forced (ahem Arrow) and i can kind of see where everyone is coming from, and root for each character. Even Cal. Which......aside from his sudden bursts of "dude settle down!" kind of anger, i can understand where he is coming from.

Even then, it's clear that the anger is a side effect of the drugs he invented so that he could go toe-to-toe with Hydra. He's a fully tragic character.
    "I wish she could have known me before..."

oof, that was a mild turning point for me with Cal. He knows just how damaged he is, and he's just trying to power thru it. Plus all of those memories about ice cream, father-daughter dances, etc.

The writers are gonna kill him, aren't they? Bastards.

Well, not now.

They need to cure him first.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I kinda thought when Coulson was talking to
    Ward and he said "Under my authority as director of SHIELD" that he's NOT the director of SHIELD at the moment, so he has none of that authority. Coulson is on the run using Ward, not actually with any power to do anything for him.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I kinda thought when Coulson was talking to
    Ward and he said "Under my authority as director of SHIELD" that he's NOT the director of SHIELD at the moment, so he has none of that authority. Coulson is on the run using Ward, not actually with any power to do anything for him.

Yeah, I assumed that was the impression we were supposed to get. It was a straight con.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I hope Fitz gets to put a bullet in Ward, but since that's not likely...Simmons can do it.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I hope Fitz gets to put a bullet in Ward, but since that's not likely...Simmons can do it.

Considering Ward is like a cockroach, everybody can take turns putting a bullet in him. He gets better.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Does it bother anyone else Coulson is more willing to work along side with Ward than call in a favor from his super friends? It is so important to never reveal he is alive he will work with someone who is almost certainly going to betray him? A few minutes teleconference with Cap should straighten out REAL - SHIELD right away and focus on Hydra.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I'm getting Hydra burnout right now.

And you know that Cal is going to die somehow in a redemptive way.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Does it bother anyone else Coulson is more willing to work along side with Ward than call in a favor from his super friends? It is so important to never reveal he is alive he will work with someone who is almost certainly going to betray him? A few minutes teleconference with Cap should straighten out REAL - SHIELD right away and focus on Hydra.

I'm pretty sure we're getting that in the next episode or so. It looks like Avengers 2 is going to tie in with the raid on Strucker's base.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

You think Captain America or nuSHIELD have contacts with Hydra that Coulson is unaware of? Coulson went after Ward & Agent 33 to exploit their knowledge of Hydra, something he would have done if he was still commanding SHIELD.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

Hold this please 8-)

• Options

You think Captain America or nuSHIELD have contacts with Hydra that Coulson is unaware of? Coulson went after Ward & Agent 33 to exploit their knowledge of Hydra, something he would have done if he was still commanding SHIELD.

You fix the in - house squabble then you have full resources and more options. Maybe they still end up working with Ward but the Real - shield thing severely limits Coulson 's options.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    It's quite obvious Coulson went to Ward and Agent 33 because they don't have the budget to go to Cap and Tony. Just something you have to roll with as usual. Hopefully Avengers 2 nullifies that problem for 30 seconds soon, but if not, oh well.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Coulson is director of shield, unless we have gone completely stupid and accepted deroShield's claims of legitimacy.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I imagine this season they're going to kill List

then in Avengers Strucker will be wiped out and viola Hydra as an immediate villain is history

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I really want season three to be the rise of Zodiac with Ward leading them as Scorpio.

I would also accept Ward becoming Taskmaster...but I'd rather him and Agent 33 start Zodiac together.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I'm pretty sure Fox owns the rights to Scorpio.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    reVerse wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Fox has the rights to Scorpio.

Why would they? ZODIAC and Scorpio have almost always been SHIELD enemies. The original Scorpio was Jacob Fury, Nick's brother. They would just have to change who took the mantle originally and make it Ward.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Fox has the rights to Scorpio.

Why would they? ZODIAC and Scorpio have almost always been SHIELD enemies. The original Scorpio was Jacob Fury, Nick's brother. They would just have to change who took the mantle originally and make it Ward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnod9vtB4xA

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I'm thinking Marvel would be safe considering their Scorpio predates Simpsons by quite a bit. :P

Edit: I did a bit of research and apparently that horrible Ultimate Spider-Man show used Scorpio as a villain in an episode, so I think they're safe.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    It's a joke, brainiac.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    It's a joke, brainiac.

I know, which is why I added the :P emoticon.

With the other thing I said, why is that Ultimate Spider-Man show still on? It's terribly written and have they actually used many Spider-Man villains? I cannot believe they cancelled the fantastic Spectacular Spider-Man series for it. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Coulson is director of shield, unless we have gone completely stupid and accepted deroShield's claims of legitimacy.

If you're in a suit, sitting in the Whitehouse, and everyone around you says you're the president, but some guy is running around the country shouting about how you're not...who are people taking orders from here?

Yeah we all think Coulson should be the director, and by name he is, but right now he's not acting as a Director because he doesn't have anything to direct other than Hunter and Ward and Co.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I do wonder if next week's "special look" of AoU is going to fit in with the episode like the scene from Winter Solider did with no "and now a scene from Cap 2..." Just a straight jump to Fury getting attacked just after the Hydra reveal on the episode proper.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    At the moment he's director in exile, when he regains power he shall repay his favours.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    I do wonder if next week's "special look" of AoU is going to fit in with the episode like the scene from Winter Solider did with no "and now a scene from Cap 2..." Just a straight jump to Fury getting attacked just after the Hydra reveal on the episode proper.
    I sure hope so, that shit was amazing last season. I don't need a CAWS-level of immediate tie-in payoff, but it would be amazeballs if so.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Re: Ward
    Why does everyone think he's going to be Taskmaster?
    People really want to see Taskmaster. Which I don't blame them for, because he's awesome. But I think we're going to need to get a little more crazy before a guy in a skull mask and white cloak is not out of place on AoS. :)
    We had Whitehall without the mask, and Strucker without the claw.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Kashaar wrote: »
    I'm just rewatching the first Avengers, and I totally forgot this thing about their helicarrier: it originally looked just like a regular aircraft carrier. The propellers extended out of the main body only when they needed it. So that means, SHREALD's carrier might just as well be a flying one!

End of the season:

*dramatic music*

"We... have to move the carrier."

*eye roll*

"Okay, it was more surprising in Lost."

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    so is there one episode left this season, or one before avengers right?

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    so is there one episode left this season, or one before avengers right?

one more before Avengers, and then three more in May.

... and apparently they're doing a two-hour finale on 12th.

Tamin on
  • Options
    IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    /ninjad

Illieas on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It's quite obvious Coulson went to Ward and Agent 33 because they don't have the budget to go to Cap and Tony. Just something you have to roll with as usual. Hopefully Avengers 2 nullifies that problem for 30 seconds soon, but if not, oh well.

I think you could argue that it's unclear how Cap, at least, would react. He wanted SHIELD dismantled. Now two guys are bickering over who gets to run the new version of SHIELD, each one claiming that the other is jeopardizing security and whatever.

It's not certain that Cap would side with Coulson, much less immediately facilitate an operation against Hydra using an ex-Hydra operative who's murdered a bunch of people.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

If you're in a suit, sitting in the Whitehouse, and everyone around you says you're the president, but some guy is running around the country shouting about how you're not...who are people taking orders from here?

Yeah we all think Coulson should be the director, and by name he is, but right now he's not acting as a Director because he doesn't have anything to direct other than Hunter and Ward and Co.

If one of America's political parties staged a coup, made the President a fugitive, and installed one of their own in his or her place, which one would be the "real" president?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I think you could argue that it's unclear how Cap, at least, would react. He wanted SHIELD dismantled. Now two guys are bickering over who gets to run the new version of SHIELD, each one claiming that the other is jeopardizing security and whatever.

It's not certain that Cap would side with Coulson, much less immediately facilitate an operation against Hydra using an ex-Hydra operative who's murdered a bunch of people.

Also, Cap's as much on the run as Coulson. As is Fury. Thor's a god and kind of difficult to track down on a whim. Who knows what the fuck Hawkguy is up to. Stark/Banner are the only viable contacts, but they're private sector and it's not really clear how much good reaching out to them would do.

I think for this whole shared universe concept to work, you have to just kind of be okay with the fact that sometimes there are somewhat shaky nebulous reasons for not calling in the cavalry (no, not that Cavalry) every time the going gets tough.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I was going to say something like this

it included an analogy where two siblings are fighting and the dad just grounds them both

Tamin on
  • Options

If one of America's political parties staged a coup, made the President a fugitive, and installed one of their own in his or her place, which one would be the "real" president?

The one sitting in the white house with the military answering to them would be the only one that mattered. Whether you consider them "real" or not is just a matter of perspective.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Cap is on the run? I never got that impression (Black Widow even says "you know where to find us" to congress).

Are you implying that Coulson is the fugitive President in this analogy because SHIELD is a rogue operation according to the federal government (Talbot begrudgingly working with Coulson aside).

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Cap is on the run? I never got that impression (Black Widow even says "you know where to find us" to congress).

Are you implying that Coulson is the fugitive President in this analogy because SHIELD is a rogue operation according to the federal government (Talbot begrudgingly working with Coulson aside).

Well, maybe not "on the run" exactly. But on his own mission, keeping his head down, I suppose. Or at least, that's what the end of CAWS implied.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »

Coulson was officially selected by the previous leadership for the position, while Gonzales and crew just went "let's start a new SHIELD!" And then came in and took over Coulson's operation. Basically, Coulson has a stronger claim to the position as far as the audience is concerned.

This discussion has been closed.