As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I won tickets to a Dr who comiccon type thing with Matt Smith, Alex Kingston and Freema (was supposed to be Karen, but she had to pull out).

I look at that photo that I think @Invectivus posts here and go, I want one of those, but they are charging $90 for a photo with Matt Smith! Not to mention the price of the tickets was $100 each, which is just ridiculous. I think we already had this discussion earlier in the thread that the Dr who guys charge a pretty penny for the photos.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Oh. Doctor Who really needs to start back up. Missing it.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    I find Big Finish is good for quelling any cravings.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    I won tickets to a Dr who comiccon type thing with Matt Smith, Alex Kingston and Freema (was supposed to be Karen, but she had to pull out).

I look at that photo that I think @Invectivus posts here and go, I want one of those, but they are charging $90 for a photo with Matt Smith! Not to mention the price of the tickets was $100 each, which is just ridiculous. I think we already had this discussion earlier in the thread that the Dr who guys charge a pretty penny for the photos.

Wait, those con photos cost $90?

Geez.

I understand the supply/demand angle, but at that price, you'd think the con could at least spring for a backdrop that didn't belong in a 1980s style middle school yearbook.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Still catching up on the classic series. I slowed way down during the Tom Baker seasons mainly because he was always my favorite Doctor. Being honest about it Logopolis and Castrovalva are a rather big hump to get over.

Anyways I hit the end of season 20 with The Five Doctors and I have to ask this.

Why do the Second and Third doctors hate each other?

It's been a long time since I saw The Three Doctors so I can't remember the reason. Maybe the Second dislikes the 3rd because he was forced to regenerate into him by the Time Lords?

• Options
    I don't think they really hate each other, more that they have a bit of a dislike/bickering relationship with each other. It is a callback to The Three Doctors, where it seems that they just have totally clashing personalities.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    "So you're my replacements. Humph. A dandy and a clown."

InterDoctoral bickering/insults is pretty much a guaranteed tradition at this point.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ten and Eleven seemed to mostly like each other!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Mostly...

"Oh, you've redecorated!"
    :biggrin:
    "I don't like it."
    :bigfrown:

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    Related videos are the worst. I just spent a quarter of an hour watching clips from The Day of the Doctor.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    dragonsama wrote: »
    Still catching up on the classic series. I slowed way down during the Tom Baker seasons mainlyo because he was always my favorite Doctor. Being honest about it Logopolis and Castrovalva are a rather big hump to get over.

Anyways I hit the end of season 20 with The Five Doctors and I have to ask this.

Why do the Second and Third doctors hate each other?

It's been a long time since I saw The Three Doctors so I can't remember the reason. Maybe the Second dislikes the 3rd because he was forced to regenerate into him by the Time Lords?

2 did some things and the Timelords made him regenerate and dumped him on earth with no time travel.

3 was probably a bit sore

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The incarnations disliking each other is a running joke, but a pretty fair one. Would you at 50 get along with your 18 year old self? Also 2 and 3 were fairly polar opposite. 2 was a music/peace loving hippy, 3 was a much more conservative sort and hung out with the army much more often.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Mostly...

"Oh, you've redecorated!"
    :biggrin:
    "I don't like it."
    :bigfrown:

That is a great callback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbnWmR7piEg

"So you're my replacements. Humph. A dandy and a clown."

InterDoctoral bickering/insults is pretty much a guaranteed tradition at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA1F7XFPvjI

Artoria on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    All wrong.
    Psychic projection of Clara's sentient underwear, weaponised by Daleks.

Clara's underware can already stun a man, it doesnt need more weaponization.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    It's worth noting that, before Day of the Doctor, the only pairs of Doctors who had gotten to meaningfully interact on screen were the Second and Third and the Second and Sixth. For all that team-ups are a tradition of the show, they haven't actually happened that often. So it makes sense that during the brief time they're together in The Five Doctors the writer seized on the one bit of previous interaction they'd had.

• Options
    Series 8 soundtrack is out! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmmRHh6O5o

Also some Series 9 casting spoilerth...
    Missy is back in the first episode. Wasn't expecting that. :O

Also Maisie Williams apparently fucked up and revealed she's playing...
    Young Clara, surprising no one.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Series 8 soundtrack is out! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmmRHh6O5o

Also some Series 9 casting spoilerth...
    Missy is back in the first episode. Wasn't expecting that. :O

Also Maisie Williams apparently fucked up and revealed she's playing...
    Young Clara, surprising no one.

men on the spoiler, but I am overjoyed that the soundtrack is out. Capaldi's theme is terrific.

• Options
    Agreed. Suits him perfectly, and it feels like a nice progression from the Eleventh Doctor's soundtrack.

Apparently Murray Gold was hounded all series to make a version that was more like Smith's I Am The Doctor, he relented for the final episode;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Xxj3W6RD0

...and then they didn't even use it. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I am the doctor is still my favourite theme song in all of doctor who.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I am hoping the Master with be tormenting the Doctor throughout the whole season.

• Options
    Yus, one of the best parts of Series 5 was how many arrangements it got. Seemed like a new version every episode. I'm still bummed we never got the extremely awesome one from Amy's Choice on a soundtrack. I guess The Majestic Tale was pretty close to it.

Speaking of; one of the best uses of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBH7Bk5fDUE

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaah!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    That's my favourite 11th doctor monologue/scene. Utterly adore the smug way he says "And it's mine." at the end.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    That's my favourite 11th doctor monologue/scene. Utterly adore the smug way he says "And it's mine." at the end.

Clara's reactions were very telling. She did not fit the standard companion mold.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    If you want to overdose on I am the Doctor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_JRnGaDiuA

That being said, I'm glad 12 has his own theme. While I pretty much never get sick of I am the Doctor, the fairly drastically different 12 wouldn't be suited by the whimsy/heroic theme.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    A doctors theme should stay with that doctor. I want 12 to have his own theme too.
    I just don't like his as much as a piece of music for listening to, unfortunately. It does suit him though, in the show itself.

• Options
    Funnily enough, one of my fav bits of Eleven music doesn't even incorporate I Am The Doctor - it's this, from his last episode;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5gFp8FUSM

when he's walking off to die. "One last victory"

YUS <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Still love that promotional image with him holding the cyberman head.
    Before you know its just Handles it looks like he just finished tearing a cybermans head off.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Since I'm a newly minted Netflix user, we've got started on Doctor Who's Chris Eccleston run, after having seen only the Capaldi season and none of the earlier material. Is it just me, or is "Dalek" pretty much "Into the Dalek" in terms of thematic beats? It felt very much like I'd seen the episode before, just with more eyebrows and with Clara instead of Rose. (Incidentally, I'm still not a big fan of Billie Piper, but it's getting easier not to dislike her mouth-hanging-open look; the character and acting are absolutely okay.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Dalek is a pretty great episode.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I thought it was okay, but it stretched out its messagey bits too much for me to consider it great. Whenever I got what the series wanted to say, it tended to go on for another five minutes making that same point.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    Don't forget that Dalek was the reintroduction of the villain for a new audience. The basic messages of Dalek are, for new watchers, that the Daleks are fucking terrifying. For old viewers, it is that the Daleks are still terrifying. Watching that after you've seen other new series episodes with them isn't ideal.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Also did a great job showing the Doctor's less flattering side. His immediate reaction to finding the last Dalek is to kill it. Kinda contradicted what New Who had shown of him so far.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Actually, his first reaction was "OHMYGODIMGONNADIELETMEOUT"

His eventual reaction was to torture it.

When it got loose, his reaction was to try and contain it.

When that failed, then his reaction was to destroy it.

• Options

When that failed, then his reaction was to go apeshit then destroy it.

• Options

When that failed, then his reaction was to destroy it.

Nah man, he wanted to kill it. When they drag him out of the cell he's yelling about how it's gotta be destroyed.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    So Big Finish, preservers of everything Classic Doctor Who, have just announced a series of insane boxsets and storied meshing New Who with Classic Who, including bringing in River Song to meet Paul McGann, and having the classic Doctor's face off against new enemies. Here's a bunch of bits from the article:
    Leading this new wave of adventures is Alex Kingston as River Song, the beloved Time Lord archaeologist who first appeared in 2008's Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead.

River will be stepping into the era of the Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) for Doctor Who: Doom Coalition 2, alongside Liv Chenka (Nicola Walker) and Helen Sinclair (Hattie Morahan). But how can River help her husband if, in this incarnation, she must never actually meet him?

River will then return later in 2016 in Doctor Who: The Diary of River Song, an epic four-hour adventure that takes River across space and time, seeking out the secret rulers of the universe. Paul McGann will reprise the role of the Eighth Doctor in the final instalment.

The New Series adventures will continue in Doctor Who: The Churchill Years, in which Ian McNeice returns as the indomitable Winston Churchill. In the four-hour saga, Winston relates a number of encounters with the Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Doctors in his memoirs, battling alien incursions, metamorphosing creatures... and a Dalek! The stories are told by Ian McNeice, supported by a full cast of guest actors, including Danny Horn as Kazran Sardick, in a story taking place within the 2010 special A Christmas Carol.

Finally, the Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Doctors will face a new generation of monsters in Doctor Who: Classic Doctors, New Monsters, a brand new, four-story run featuring creatures from the New Series. Peter Davison takes on the Weeping Angels, Colin Baker encounters the Judoon, Sylvester McCoy will meet the Sycorax... and Paul McGann will face a new clone batch of Sontarans on the edge of the Time War....

Between all this, the new UNIT stories they have coming out, and the previous announcement of John Barrowman stepping in for new Torchwood, I may be getting my hopes up in thinking that it will only be a matter of time before the BBC allows Big Finish to pull in the new Doctor's themselves!

• Options
    There is so much excitingness there.

It probably says something about me that one of the things that excites me the most is that the cover for the Classic Doctors, New Monsters release features Eight in his Night of the Doctor costume.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Am I right in that all of those aliens races are ones that the Doctor had encountered prior to their "first appearances" in New Who? (As in, they weren't aliens the Doctor went "I have no idea what those are")

If so, that's a VERY nice attention to continuity for these.

This discussion has been closed.