As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    RTD pretty obviously wasn't making everything up as he went, especially regarding things like Bad Wolf. That's an example of dropping hints and then paying them off according to plan. The hand I dunno, but probably they kept it around until they figured out how to use it somehow.

Some stuff worked a ton, like Bad Wolf, or Amy turning to goop, but maybe the more intricately plotted stuff by Moffatt never quite worked as well as RTD just mentioning Bad Wolf or John Saxon in the background of every episode. RTD never tried to tie himself in knots with clever season-long plotting and it seemed to flow more easily. He'd just mention something every episode and leave it hanging in the background, and we'd do the work for him. Moffatt would set up a chinese puzzle box, and the solution was never quite as good as we'd hoped it would be.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Season 5 was the tightest and most compelling long running meta story in all of nu who.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, TV is made up episode by episode, but stuff like Bad Wolf wasn't thought up in episode 10 and wow, it all worked out! They do plan a little ahead and aren't that good!

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Going back and watching RTD's seasons after watching season 5, none of the meta stories struck me as anywhere near as satisfying, compelling or mysterious.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    You're probably right in that season 5 is the one time Moffat's puzzle box largely worked.

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    I think one of the things that made Season 5 really work for me was that "the crack in time" played a huge part in several other episodes outside of the finale, which really added weight to it. It playing a major part in the resolution of the Weeping Angel 2-parter especially.

• Options
    They don't use time travel enough on the show, really. I mean it would get old if they kept doing it, but it pretty much never occurs to them outside of the mode of travel to start the problem.

Get Eccleston and Piper back for an episode and all kinds of crazy shit like that would be awesome. That being an extreme example that would never happen, but in general it be good if they used it a little more than they use it now which is for finales/Doctor meet ups.

• Options
    I dunno what your baseline is for 'enough', but they use it often enough for me. River Song's timeline running backwards in relation to the Doctor's, Rose creating a paradox by saving her dad, 10, 11 and the War Doctor meeting, the resolution of the Pandorica, the Doctor seeing himself die, the Weeping Angels, etc. They use those tricks sparingly for a reason.

If the Doctor could just get in the TARDIS and solve things before they happened or trick his way out of things more regularly via time travel that would effectively kick the buildup of tension in the nuts. Time travel tricks are one kind of story, and the TARDIS is basically only a way of visiting anywhere and anytime for an adventure, not a plot device to be used as often as the sonic screwdriver.

• Options
    Maybe I just enjoyed the time travel dinner with the architect idea and the sewers of Tursurus too much. So once they work that in we'll hit my 'enough'.

You're right that that's why they don't use the time machine to time travel, but I just think they could do something really neat with it too more often than some of those examples. Or maybe just really confusing.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I dunno what your baseline is for 'enough', but they use it often enough for me. River Song's timeline running backwards in relation to the Doctor's, Rose creating a paradox by saving her dad, 10, 11 and the War Doctor meeting, the resolution of the Pandorica, the Doctor seeing himself die, the Weeping Angels, etc. They use those tricks sparingly for a reason.

If the Doctor could just get in the TARDIS and solve things before they happened or trick his way out of things more regularly via time travel that would effectively kick the buildup of tension in the nuts. Time travel tricks are one kind of story, and the TARDIS is basically only a way of visiting anywhere and anytime for an adventure, not a plot device to be used as often as the sonic screwdriver.

Don't forget the Christmas Carol. That one was beautiful.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The part where the Doctor made Scrooge watch him change his past was cool. That one is a good one for the holidays.

• Options
    My favourite bit is the bit
    Where he gets the password.
    It's so arrogant.

• Options
    Igort wrote: »
    I think one of the things that made Season 5 really work for me was that "the crack in time" played a huge part in several other episodes outside of the finale, which really added weight to it. It playing a major part in the resolution of the Weeping Angel 2-parter especially.

I am sure everyone smiled when it showed up in the sky when the Doctor was dying of old age.

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Fortunately they nixed the "go back farther in time and fix it" a long time ago with the Time Lords effectively telling The Doctor that they would leave him alone and let him meddle as long as he doesn't do that.

Also I just finished Classic Who! It took me a year. I can finally start New Who!

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    dragonsama wrote: »

Fortunately they nixed the "go back farther in time and fix it" a long time ago with the Time Lords effectively telling The Doctor that they would leave him alone and let him meddle as long as he doesn't do that.

Also I just finished Classic Who! It took me a year. I can finally start New Who!

well, what are the time lords going to do now?

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »

Probably sit around and huff and moan at this point.

Started series one. I know he's not around for long but Eccleston has been fantastic.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

Probably sit around and huff and moan at this point.

Started series one. I know he's not around for long but Eccleston has been fantastic.

And so were you.

You'll get this joke later.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Eccleston was actually my favorite of New Who until Capaldi.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a pity they couldn't get him back.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    The most you get is the slightest hint of him when War Doctor regenerates.

But Capaldi is my favourite so far of the new Doctors. Brilliant, savage, sharply dressed and attack eyebrows. He's the Doctor I most expect to see straight-up dickpunching someone.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Really? I don't expect any direct violence from capaldi at all. He's ferocious all right, but he doesn't feel like the physical type.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    We needed age mixed back into the Doctor and we are seeing it now.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Running away from explosions seems to be Season 9's theme:
    series-9-wallpaper-16x9.jpg

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    so I like the Doctor's new hoodie, that's neat, suits him

wassup with the pajama pants tho? D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    so I like the Doctor's new hoodie, that's neat, suits him

Looks like a callback to the Second Doctor to me.

6fdiwbdnpb2q.jpg

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular

A nod to Patrick Troughton's Doctor, no doubt:

patrecorder.jpg

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Yeah I was gonna say nice Troughton pants. Plus he still has the Pertwee evoking red lined jacket.

• Options
    I'll give them credit for them both actually being in the picture. Probably. Maybe. Least it hard to tell.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's intended or not. But with the outfit and the hair, and the running pose, he looks a lot more... younger.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    "WHAT IS HAPPENING!?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_x2B0lsAMU

"Awesome is happening..."

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    huh, dang,
    is Maisie a recurring character this season or are they just milking the one episode she's in for promotional reasons?

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I believe it's a two parter. But I could be easily be wrong.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    That sure is a bunch of Daleks.
    Two from The Daleks, an Emperor's Guard from Evil of the Daleks, a Special Weapons Dalek and the Supreme from the end of series 4. Hopefully this will feature classic Daleks actually getting used, unlike in Asylum.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Got all excited for a sec, thought you meant this guy!

realimg01.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The first American Dalek!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    EXPATRIATE!

• Options
    edited August 2015
    The first American Dalek!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTetx5mB-HBNEhzo_HOS4PghueRMaaC4qERCGwtCDxnYakW81oPAw

Morninglord on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    io9 has a pretty decent trailer breakdown for those interested. Looks like there's a very minor update to the console room AND THERE ARE ROUNDELS AGAIN YOU GUYS I AM SO INCREDIBLY EXCITED BY THIS TINY CHANGE

• Options
    I love the round things!

• Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    What are the round things?

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon