Options

[Amiibo] Chasing the Plastic Unicorn

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    got my Dedede today!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I just picked up a Ness at gamestop downstairs, so I'm not sure if this is a sign that i got lucky or that we are suddenly about to have a zillion of them.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Rosalina up at Bestbuy.ca

And gone :(

Lail on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Lail wrote: »
    Rosalina up at Bestbuy.ca

And gone :(

uuuuuuuugh

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    One Gamestop near me lost their shipment, but the other at the mall had three Nesses left (well, two after I snagged one). They said that people were at the gate at opening for Dedede rather than Ness.

Edit: Both are still up at Gamestop's website. Ordered me a Dedede.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, nothing much. ;)

Besides already owning Smash and MAYBE getting Happy Home Designer, no reason for me to get the Amiibo reader.

Honestly not really, though something good could always come along in the future.

I'm still holding out hope for a Amiibo enabled new Animal Crossing on Wii U. That would be awesome!!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Tempted to drop by Gamestop on the way home from work to see if I can pick up a Ness amiibo, but knowing my usual luck, they sold out at 9:01am this morning.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    The Ness restock was pretty decent from what it seemed.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh, while I'm swapping Amiibos -- Gamestop had a sale on used Amiibos last weekend that literally made it seven dollars cheaper to buy three used than two. Long story short, if anyone wants a loose, used Smash line Bowser in great shape, it's yours.

I got Mario Party Yoshi the same way (and more Infinity stuff than I care to admit to you or my wife!) If no-one else takes it I'd love Bowser, be more than willing to paypal you a bit for it or shipping.

Sure! I'll get in touch with you on Monday after a mini-vacation.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    The Ness restock was pretty decent from what it seemed.

Yeah, the clerk at my Gamestop said as much. They only got a few Dededes but about a dozen Nesses. I say go for it.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Man, I'm really glad people are finally getting Dededes
    He's a great looking figure and it was shameful how rare he was

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    6pm, walk into the Issaquah GameStop. There he is, the fabled Ness, hanging from a hook all by himself like some commoner.

I held him in my hands and thought "So this is what it is to be addicted to something."

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

I don't even understand it, unless he was difficult to manufacture. I mean, he was used in a recent game (Rainbow Curse) so you'd think they would want a lot to promote that game.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    So only Dark Pit and Palutena come out on the 31st, right? I have $15 in Toys R Us member rewards, and wouldn't mind getting a Palutena. I'd prefer to use it on ZS Samus or Ganondorf, but the credit expires in mid August.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

I don't even understand it, unless he was difficult to manufacture. I mean, he was used in a recent game (Rainbow Curse) so you'd think they would want a lot to promote that game.

The same could be said of the Splatoon amiibo. Or the FE amiibo and Codename Steam. And yet...

I'll defend Nintendo on a lot of issues. This one though, who knows what the fuck is going on with them.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

The same could be said of the Splatoon amiibo. Or the FE amiibo and Codename Steam. And yet...

I'll defend Nintendo on a lot of issues. This one though, who knows what the fuck is going on with them.

There were a decent amount of Splatoon amiibo released. They still sold out because they were crazy popular, but they did make a lot of them. Compare that to Dedede where stores were getting like 1-3 if they got any at all.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

There were a decent amount of Splatoon amiibo released. They still sold out because they were crazy popular, but they did make a lot of them. Compare that to Dedede where stores were getting like 1-3 if they got any at all.

the splatoon 3 pack basically didn't exist.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

the splatoon 3 pack basically didn't exist.

I saw tons of them, and they were one of the easier amiibos to preorder

• Options
    You know, I don't think I've ever seen a Splatoon Amiibo in a store. That's across multiple Best Buys, Gamestops, Targets, and Wal-Marts.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    yea, I've never seen one in a store at all. Maybe a regional thing. I managed to snag both the boy and girl in a "lets just look at bestbuy.ca, just in case" but I've never even seen empty spaces on shelves where the 3 pack would be stocked if they had any.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I got my 3pack via Target or something online, but I hit a Toys R Us local and they had tons of guys I never saw plus a full stock of Splatoon packs. (This was awhile ago, not recent.)

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    They were easily available up until a week before Splatoon launched. Likely thanks to the testfire hype. I managed to get one easily enough at TRU on launch day since they had plenty, and nobody was terribly interested compared to the others. Still, they did eventually run dry in a week, and I haven't seen one anywhere since.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

*shrug* I know exactly what the fuck is going on. It's supply and demand. If we were buried in Amiibo's at every store people wouldnt really care about collecting them so hard. They would just be one more piece of plastic junk that people buy one of for game purposes, and it falls behind the couch after you scan it and forget it.

They are not stupid. this is just crazy like a fox thinking. They have established it as a collectors thing where it could have just been a toy thing that people shrugged off. When i walk into a store and i see a new amiibo, i think to myself, is this one going to be a rare one or one i see everywhere permanently? Should i pick it up while i can? And I'm frankly not that big on collecting them except the ones i actually think are really neat figures. I'm not asking myself anymore if i give a shit about the character. I am positive that if they were not having shortages, they would not have turned into the next beanie baby collection phenominom.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It's definitely become a speculator market. I know that the Gamestop employee I talked to the other day said that it isn't unusual for them to get people who try to clean them out as soon as anything new comes in, buying multiples if they are allowed. It is incredibly similar to Beanie Babies and I think once/if the supply gets fixed we'll see a bunch returned to retail or on ebay cheaper - the bottom has to fall out sometime.

I've seen exactly one Splatoon Amiibo and it was the boy so I didn't buy it. It really surprises me since the Splatoon ones don't have the retro/nostalgia factor or widespread character recognition so I thought maybe we wouldn't have seen it dry up quite so quickly.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I...I think I just got a rosalina amiibo.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    It's definitely become a speculator market. I know that the Gamestop employee I talked to the other day said that it isn't unusual for them to get people who try to clean them out as soon as anything new comes in, buying multiples if they are allowed. It is incredibly similar to Beanie Babies and I think once/if the supply gets fixed we'll see a bunch returned to retail or on ebay cheaper - the bottom has to fall out sometime.

I've seen exactly one Splatoon Amiibo and it was the boy so I didn't buy it. It really surprises me since the Splatoon ones don't have the retro/nostalgia factor or widespread character recognition so I thought maybe we wouldn't have seen it dry up quite so quickly.

I agree that it is kind of is a speculator market already, but I think the scalping has exceeded the demand as supply catches up it should help kill it (hence all the lucinas and robins snatched up dropping from 40-50 to 20-30 lately, and the other restocks cutting prices as well for more common amiibos)

and on the anectodal stuff about how common/not the splatoon stuff was, in my neck of the woods (southwest NH) I never saw any splatoon stuff in the wild, it was picked clean that morning when they came out if any showed up. All I could find of wave 4 was some pac-man that day.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Ooooh, I'm so close to having them all (of the ones released) now. Just need Villager, Little Mac, and Ike. And Gold Mario, but that doesn't count.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Looks like everything is snatched up...ugh, fuck you drive into work, you always have the worst timing.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Ness amiibo at Gamestop US Sold Out
    (Hit add to cart)

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    She was in my cart.

But the website said my address for shipping and payment somehow didn't match.

And then, she was gone.

The Rosalina amiibo might as well be a myth to me.

• Options
    Ness amiibo at Gamestop US
    (Hit add to cart)

Any way to buy it without being bundled with the game?

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

I agree that it is kind of is a speculator market already, but I think the scalping has exceeded the demand as supply catches up it should help kill it (hence all the lucinas and robins snatched up dropping from 40-50 to 20-30 lately, and the other restocks cutting prices as well for more common amiibos)

and on the anectodal stuff about how common/not the splatoon stuff was, in my neck of the woods (southwest NH) I never saw any splatoon stuff in the wild, it was picked clean that morning when they came out if any showed up. All I could find of wave 4 was some pac-man that day.

Lucina at $20? Tell me more.

• Options
    She went back up! I got one!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

Lucina at $20? Tell me more.

check amazon, 3rd party prices have come down lately + prime shipping. no idea if said 3rd parties are legit or not.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I got a Lucuina too. Damnit i didnt even want a Luicuna.. See??? I need help.

• Options
    Ness amiibo at Gamestop US
    (Hit add to cart)

Any way to buy it without being bundled with the game?

There was a solo one when I put the link up, guess he's sold out.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I managed to purchase a Jigglypuff and a Rosalina from Target, one of which is going to @cloudeagle in trade for a Ness.

So one of the two will be up for grabs, either for trade or sale at cost, does anyone need either?

Edit: I also have an extra Silver Mario I bought last week from Best Buy to get $5 off of an Amiibo case. I know they're not rare or anything, but if anyone wants one for cost + shipping, I can send it your way.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
This discussion has been closed.