As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Claimants to the [chat]

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The FIFA case made me grin when I heard it this morning.

I want the whole damn thing revamped and probably the entire leadership arrested. But this is a start.

Thing is corrupt. It would fit perfectly in China or Russia.

i wonder whether they can't stick anything to Blatter, or they want to scare the underlings into testifying something hot

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I'm not sour over Napoleon. I'm opposed to saying hmm maybe he wasn't so bad and did he really do anything that awful because the answer is clearly yes he was pretty awful.

Ok.

I am sour about the british making norway starve, though. It's another one in a long line of transgressions from 1066 until now.

You just wait until 2066. We'll have our comeuppance yet.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular

I want the whole damn thing revamped and probably the entire leadership arrested. But this is a start.

FIFA officials get off and the us banks involved have their stocks raise as a result

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    well, everyone's else armies, chasing him back again

there's no shame in picking a fight with everybody and losing, when they have to make serious effort to beat you.

Nope. The French Army plundered everything in sight and butchered local populations. The British army paid for stuff, hanged looters and didn't tend to massacre whole villages as punishment for local guerrillas. The French army were like locusts in the Iberian peninsula.

There is absolute shame in picking a fight with everyone if that fight ends up killing thousands upon thousands of people just so you can indulge your ego and wish for a big parade.

I don't have it in me to be sour over napoleon

it is kind of in the past

norway starved during the wars, because of you guys, by the way :P

Hey, hey, hey.

The French just have different ideas of what the average body weight should be. It was an honest mistake!

The french? No, the british blockaded Norway, stopping grain imports, arresting fishermen who went out to sea.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    What’s threatening about Fury Road is the idea that when the earth burns, women might not actually want men to protect them. Men might, in fact, be precisely the thing they are trying to survive.

Hmmm

mass rape as part of ethnic warfare is a RL phenomenon in central africa and quite recently in the former yugoslavia

Aware of that.

I just thought that was an interesting framing of the conflict in the film, and it's prompted me to wonder what an entrenched men vs women conflict would look like and the circumstances under which one might plausibly arise.

• Options
    man I hope I'm alive and well enough to travel in 2066

I bet my ass there'd be the greatest historical reenactments ever at stamford bridge and hastings

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    In giving Qatar the Tournament, it seems FIFA dug too greedily and too deep.

You can see Russia hosting the tournament without bribery, it has a reasonably developed Football related infrastructure. Qatar is the real eyebrow raiser.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What’s threatening about Fury Road is the idea that when the earth burns, women might not actually want men to protect them. Men might, in fact, be precisely the thing they are trying to survive.

Hmmm

I haven't seen Fury Road but isn't this a movie about traumatized women escaping their past lives as sex slaves?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Napoleon was mentally ill

He thought he was napoleon

Elendil on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    well, everyone's else armies, chasing him back again

there's no shame in picking a fight with everybody and losing, when they have to make serious effort to beat you.

Nope. The French Army plundered everything in sight and butchered local populations. The British army paid for stuff, hanged looters and didn't tend to massacre whole villages as punishment for local guerrillas. The French army were like locusts in the Iberian peninsula.

There is absolute shame in picking a fight with everyone if that fight ends up killing thousands upon thousands of people just so you can indulge your ego and wish for a big parade.

I don't have it in me to be sour over napoleon

it is kind of in the past

norway starved during the wars, because of you guys, by the way :P

Hey, hey, hey.

The French just have different ideas of what the average body weight should be. It was an honest mistake!

The french? No, the british blockaded Norway, stopping grain imports, arresting fishermen who went out to sea.

Oh, well, yeah. Les Anglais, am I right?

• Options

Hmmm

mass rape as part of ethnic warfare is a RL phenomenon in central africa and quite recently in the former yugoslavia

Aware of that.

I just thought that was an interesting framing of the conflict in the film, and it's prompted me to wonder what an entrenched men vs women conflict would look like and the circumstances under which one might plausibly arise.

well, people have mothers and fathers and sisters and brothers and daughters and sons

so I'm not sure there's any tenable tribal identity formation here

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I am sour about the british making norway starve, though. It's another one in a long line of transgressions from 1066 until now.

That word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Hmmm

I haven't seen Fury Road but isn't this a movie about traumatized women escaping their past lives as sex slaves?

More or less.
    There's actually only two men on their side. And the crew gets sizeable.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    My head sees Blatter's name and I keep thinking Bladder.

Which I think is a more true name. He just pisses on things.

God if they could stick something to him that would be amazing. I guess the Swiss are now investigating too with the American arrests.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Personally I was offended by Mad Max as it suggests that the only reason to help oppressed women is having succumbed to madness.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »

That word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Oh no it will go so poorly for us, without a doubt.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

I believe in my currently life, I was Napoleon.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Mad Max: Farty Road

this time, gas is the one thing they have too much of

rated R

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    The Air Force has certified SpaceX to fly Department of Defense payloads

Now, they currently have a capability problem that restricts them to only about 1/3 of the available payloads

But the Falcon Heavy, set to fly in the next year, should solve that problem quite handily

Anyway what I'm trying to say is this news has given me my latest and biggest SpaceX boner

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Now, they currently have a capability problem that restricts them to only about 1/3 of the available payloads

But the Falcon Heavy, set to fly in the next year, should solve that problem quite handily

Anyway what I'm trying to say is this news has given me my latest and biggest SpaceX boner

when are we getting a moon base

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

I believe in my currently life, I was Napoleon.

Or, I believe I will be reborn in 1979 as a man for Dorchester named Kevin

• Options
    Sport in the Emirates/Gulf is weird

Most governing bodies for world sport that divide the world up on a roughly continental basis lump the rich arab states in with the barely functional bits of the middle east and/or maybe Asia (south or east)

I kind of get the feeling that some of them have a bit of a complex about the perceived stature of their national and domestic teams

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Personally I was offended by Mad Max as it suggests that the only reason to help oppressed women is having succumbed to madness.

Again, I haven't watched it yet but I think it's not simply helping women, it's helping women by going on a suicide mission.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

We'll probably get an asteroid at a Lagrange point before we get a moon base

Whichever provides better resources for In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU), the latest acronym of importance in space exploration

For my part, I just want to express my continued support and appreciation and hope for the growth of the United States military-industrial complex

• Options
    I wonder whether any alt hist scenario has France realistically holding on to Algeria

You probably have to go back to when they first got it and embarking on a radical integration/incorporation policy that most of the time could not comprehend.

Or maybe if France launches an offensive into Germany during the Poland Campaign and delivers a knockout blow in WW2.

• Options

Hmmm

Aware of that.

well, people have mothers and fathers and sisters and brothers and daughters and sons

Well, I mean, you get extreme disparity in your stricter islamic states, so it doesn't seem that much of a stretch. Particularly if segregation is enforced and reproduction controlled, as I understand is the case in the film (I haven't seen it).

• Options

i wonder whether they can't stick anything to Blatter, or they want to scare the underlings into testifying something hot

You come at the king, you best not miss.

• Options
    edited May 2015

We'll probably get an asteroid at a Lagrange point before we get a moon base

Whichever provides better resources for In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU), the latest acronym of importance in space exploration

For my part, I just want to express my continued support and appreciation and hope for the growth of the United States military-industrial complex

either's good with me

ISRU is all well and good but I'm not gonna be impressed impressed until we get some space infrastructure. IE permanent bases who do ISRU.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

You come at the king, you best not miss.

Because then they have to bring the fluffer back out?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Again, I haven't watched it yet but I think it's not simply helping women, it's helping women by going on a suicide mission.

Having watched the movie: Nope.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    britchat and graffitichat, all at once:

blogger-image--1517710965.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Having watched the movie: nope, to both

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Anarchy symbol and Tories is weird.

• Options
    I'm going to keep thinking solar power is dreadfully boring until we get orbital solar power stations

then we're talking

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Does the both include me? Because I'd have to retort: nope.

:P

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

I am talking nonsense though.

The real message is love conquers all.

• Options

Hmmm

Aware of that.

Well, I mean, you get extreme disparity in your stricter islamic states, so it doesn't seem that much of a stretch. Particularly if segregation is enforced and reproduction controlled, as I understand is the case in the film (I haven't seen it).

that's not the product of a "battle between the sexes" in any theoretical sense though

what were you envisioning?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

My understanding is some anarchists think the world needs to get worse before it's ready for the revolution.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

Does the both include me? Because I'd have to retort: nope.

:P

no to apo and em

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

They are anarchocapitalists?

This discussion has been closed.